Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Captain Postal posted:

Cops are decent people.

Some are, but prosecutors are all evil and you're just handing one a slam dump felony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The whole moon thing was a big penis contest.
It was just the propaganda spending of the ICBM race.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I used a pair of the Belkin dials to prototype an :oldkrad: display I worked on. Would have worked better as an electronic etch-n-sketch.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
How the hell can you drive in a city while rolling a j, eating Taco Bell, and texting with a manual? Just doesn't work. I've tried. Gotta have an auto for city life.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If you do embedded work you gotta know vi. It's tiny enough to fit on embedded systems so you can futz around with them in realtime, you're not tied to fixing files locally and transferring them over, which is a pain in the rear end.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Leninboarrir posted:

On that note, rumor has it that next season will be their last shooting film.
Do they have their own film lab?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Inspector_666 posted:

Within the last year I overheard somebody saying that Facebook was just a flash in the pan.
It is and they know it. Big pan though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I watched Gizmodo as a kid, on an ancient Betamax tape and deck my dad bought at a garage sale. I think he had Atomic Cafe in that format but I'm not sure.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

...with bonus pseudo-Bob Dobbs in the video

Does "Pre-internet weird culture" like the Church of the Subgenius count as obsolete? To what extent can there be in-jokes like that when anybody can GIS Bob and find out the whole thing?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GWBBQ posted:

Yes, but unless it's 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 at 60hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling it's marketing bullshit masquerading as 4K.

It is, you can only do 4:2:0 in HDMI 1.4.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Shoot in HD with proper lighting then add the film look in post, there are a gazillion plugins for whatever finishing system you use to get this effect. Shoot some test clips and try some. IMO decent fill and key but low backlight are part of the cheesy look.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
8-tracks are hilarious. I owned a car (a white blacktop Caprice) with an 8-track once and only owned one 8-track tape, but it was Metal Machine Music. And it was awesome despite the rest of my life being rough as hell. Later I bought a couple of other 8-tracks, KISS and something else, and they always had songs interrupted by track switches.

Although that was a long-assed time ago and now I'm wondering if that whole time period was a dream.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dick Trauma posted:

The high point is in the weird Penn & Teller movie "Invisible Thread" where they spray a bunch of cards in his face.

EDIT: It's on YouTube! Starts at 27:09 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYNcqwjhEA

80's Penn and Teller best Penn and Teller. Plus Lydia Lunch and Andy Warhol?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Minstrel Show with Bob and David

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Mentalizer posted:

Companies absolutely win awards for developing influential technology; I'm not really familiar with the film world but in audio Dolby has won Grammies (and probably Oscars) for their noise reduction and encoding formats.
And Emmies, for film, audio, and video products :smuggo:.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You're just used to 24 fps, which was settled on as the lowest frame rate that looked ok, thus minimizing film costs. I used to feel the same way but I've seen enough HFR material to know it can be awesome. Ang Lee's next movie, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, was shot at 4K 120 stereo and looks AMAZING.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: again, I don't mind what people prefer I'm just glad folks are discussing the merits of each instead of writing it off as "no difference" or "something you stop noticing after 10 minutes".
Watching action movie type stuff on 120 for a few days then going back to 24 is painful.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yep, lots of test footage, not a feature. Seen a lot of stuff in 60 too, but the more the better.

I do note that Ang Lee has given conference demos of Billy Lynn in 4K 120 stereo. Even on that poo poo Christy Mirage projector it looks great.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dammit somebody figure out the Cover Story disk with Batman on it. What the hell is i?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Nope, gotta upgrade the whole car if you want a modern stereo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

WebDog posted:

Black Magic started out creating capture cards as stuff since 1984 until they acquired DaVinci Systems in a bankruptcy fire sale in 2008.
They're really, really good at manufacturing OK stuff dirt cheap. Monoprice is probably the only company that can undercut them, I'm interested to see that play out now that they are taking a shot at that space.

Using that money to buy Resolve and release the base version for free was loving brilliant, and really useful. The push into editing AND audio is something I didn't expect but I Like It.

WebDog posted:

Somewhere I have a Pinnacle capture card that was worth a good thousand used to capture off DV tape.
Lol, I bet I worked on that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Horace posted:

Perhaps slightly more convincing is this:

Motherfucker THATs a raspberry pi interface I can get behind.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The number of 24” rgb trinitons ir other shadowmasks I’ve just junked over the years is frightening.

In college I did tech support for a monitor manufacturer/ reseller, had like 5 at home at one point.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Tunicate posted:

Eroom's law: software gets slower at the same rate hardware gets faster

What Groves giveth Gates taketh away.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh god I just filled my kitchen with Samsung stuff even though I’d never buy a Samsung TV, as that’s the only category I understand. Oops. Stove does kick rear end tho.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pham Nuwen posted:

Song of the South
:vince:

Isn’t that the last/best available version?

Edit•you win. https://www.ebay.com/itm/293682825173

Remulak has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Sep 23, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Unlimited pto means you can’t accrue pto, a cost to the company that you get paid out upon leaving.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mng posted:

What the hell COULD it do then?

Break the horrifying level of control that carriers had over the phone market.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
A better way of determining what will be come valuable is well, to determine what will be valuable yourself. A handful of auction and grading companies drive this poo poo every time, as both auctioneers and grading companies make more when items cost more!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bargearse posted:

RIP early 2000s skeuomorphic interface design.

Die in a pretend-materials-appropriate fire, you goddamn abstract concept.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I loved severance but stopped watching at the penultimate ep because they announced another season. I just want a goddamned story that ends, I’m sick of the the way good things get dragged out until they aren’t.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Humphreys posted:

work wifi data limits
Lol Australia.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Divorced or never married?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

If the vacuum tubes leaked, I think they would just be tubes.
:krad:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

wa27 posted:

I do get sad when I visit my local barcade and 15/20 machines have all had their screens replaced with LCDs. And in most cases, had multi-arcade boards installed.
Oh cool they have Asteroids, Star Wars, and Battlezone!

With LCDs? Nooooooo! Those games look so much better in vector.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mr.Radar posted:

Another banger from Cathode Ray Dude all about video switchers/mixers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4zQM7nzEQ
That dude still post here?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I bought a small piece of art I really like from a dispenser in the Kansas City airport. Dispenser was gone on my next trip.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

By popular demand posted:

Did anyone ever build a computerized media server that streams strictly from analogue sources?
Does my film projection system that automatically switches projectors between reels count? It has a computer.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arivia posted:

Myth 2 and Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor had badly coded uninstallers that could delete all data on your hard disk instead of just the game. An Eve online update had a different problem with similar results - it would delete the boot.ini file Windows needs to start up.
This is so funny to me, I started my career in the 90’s and never understood why the new, incredibly inexperienced person (me) got stuck doing the installer, the face of your product. I never hosed one up (in the final deliverable) but it took a lot of detail and attention to get the scripting right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I was amazed there was a Heavy Metal game, and was going to ask how many tits and dicks were in it.

Then I remembered I had that game and played it for like 20 minutes, and the answers are “at least two” and “none that I recall”.