Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Jedit posted:

I'll see that and raise you flexidiscs. These were single-sided records printed on a thin vinyl sheet that would bend without damaging the groove. They were used in the pre-CD era as a way to include music or other audio content with books or magazines. CDs obsoleted them and they went out of production in 2000, but apparently there's recently been a resurgence of interest in them from the indie scene.

I remember at one point McDonald's had a promotion where they included these in the newspaper with a song of their menu. The idea is that if you went in and sang the song to the cashier you could get a free small fries or soda.

I spent so long memorizing that song, but then my parents would never drive me to McDonalds to get the reward. That song still pops into my head when I am trying to remember important things like where I parked my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Jasta posted:

486 FOR LIFE! :woop:

68040 FOR LIFE! :woop:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

mng posted:

Nixie tubes! Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, but they're so loving neat. If I wasn't electronically retarded, I'd love to make a set myself.

April 40, 2012?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

twosideddice posted:

Yeah, that made me chuckle, that quote is in the opening chapter of a book on game physics along with other classics like:

"640k ought to be enough for anybody" from Bill Gates.

"I think there is a market for maybe five computers" By a former chairman of IBM

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home" Ken Olsen

It just makes me laugh that these aren't people who are just looking at computers and not understanding their potential. These are the people who were supposed to be championing computers and yet they still got it so wrong.

Now it may be lacking context, but I see nothing wrong with these statements if they were talking about computing needs as they existed at the time they said them (they are all in present tense and so are not projecting future need).

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

What kind of hosed up country do you live in where someone goes to the police, says "my grandfather found this. We thought it was legal because it's inoperative but have since found out that it isn't. We'd like to hand it in" and they say "you're going to get 10 years in prison. Make sure you tell all your friends what will happen to them if they ever try to hand in an illegal weapon. How DARE you try to take even a single illegal machine gun off the streets!"

Replace "sub-machine gun" with "kilo of heroin".

Hey cops, I found this kilo of heroin in a ditch a few weeks ago. Instead of reporting it to you at the time I thought it'd be cool to take it home as a trophy. Now, weeks later, I am trying to turn it in for a reward and I am in no way a drug-smuggler. We're cool, right?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

This was my first VCR, the Panasonic PV-1220. Top-load with a wired remote that only controlled fast forward, rewind, and pause functions only after you pressed play on the VCR itself.

The bold part reminded me of the old cable box remotes that had 12 radio buttons, a dial to adjust the frequency, and a lever to go above channel 13.

Always tripped over this thing.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Ssssssuck it, Alaska! :phoneb:

Suck it Inland Empire (909)

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

The worst part: I can still probably navigate through that easier than the latest version of Office I tried out.

Embrace the Ribbon. Love the Ribbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

MondayHotDog posted:

That game was ahead of its time in every way.

I remember the rage threads on this forum when Steam was unavailable/sluggish during launch. Thankfully Valve ponied up the cash and turned it in to what it is today.