Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Trebek posted:

I miss buying a new head unit for my car. Maybe get a sick amp and a couple of 12's. Does that industry still exist? My 96 Ford Ranger use to thump yall.

It's smaller but it still exists. I put a new head unit in my latest car because I wanted Apple CarPlay and it wasn't available from the factory. There are still car audio shops and of course Best Buy has installation services as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Honda S2000. Amazing car, amazing gauge cluster. Edit: but that's slightly different than the s2000 cluster I remember actually,

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Apr 29, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Wow wrong thread.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 01:42 on May 27, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gann Jerrod posted:

What do you mean, Wil.i.am created many successful inventions, such as the Puls "smart cuff" and the "genius-phone" camera case.

https://jalopnik.com/5919274/williams-extremely-illegal-delorean-impounded-by-police

This used to be a Delorean.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kelp Me! posted:

20GB day-1 patch? sure, I've got an extra 5 minutes :smuggo:

Good luck actually being able to connect on release day to get that day one patch when every single other person that bought it is also trying to download it at the same time.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

According to the wikipedia article posted above, pay toilets in California were banned by '76. Of course, most business here only let customers use the bathrooms, and some don't even allow that, so it's not much of a difference.

I was in downtown L.A. in early 2000 and there were tons of pay toilets. Not necessarily with that particular coin box, but they had coin slots, so either the ban didn't include L.A. or it wasn't enforced. It was the first time I'd ever seen one having grown up in Colorado. It was also the first place I'd ever seen a phone booth. In Colorado the payphones were all just out in the open or along an exterior wall of a building.

Platystemon posted:

There was a very successful campaign against them, arguably not for the better.

America didn’t become a free‐toilet utopia. Instead, public toilets just disappeared in many areas.

I'm very curious about the bold part.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, the manufacture process would be insanely complex/almost completely bespoke, and that's not sarcasm. I don't think I've ever actually seen a screen with a curved edge like that in real life, certainly not at that scale; I'm sure billboards and whatnot have a little more flexibility with form given their nature, but nothing consumer sized. I guess you could just blank out sectors to create a curved pattern around the edge, but then you still have to deal with hiding the rectangular form. Maybe the edge could be rolled over so the circuitry is still functional?

Smart watch screens, lcd screens used in car instrument clusters, etc...

It exists but to use one to display a cropped version of content would be stupid. The rounded edges on old tube tvs was a compromise because of the tech available at the time.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Dec 3, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

pienipple posted:

The LCD screen in your car is rectangular, the opening in the bezel just has rounded corners and the software your system runs accommodates that.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362138191414

You can see from the back of the unit that the top of the screen is angled and there wouldn't be room to accommodate a rectangular screen. It's not just a bezel.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

evobatman posted:

Nope, nothing at all :(

I'm 39 and I can hear it but my wife who is 32 couldn't. We found another video with a range of tones and I stopped being able to hear it at 17 kHz and she loses it at 14khz. She loves concerts and I don't like them much so I'm taking that explanation.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Dec 7, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You know what individual contributions become when everyone does it? Mass contribution.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
In 1987 there was the Tandy 1000 EX that was an all in one design similar to the c64 and VIC in that the guts of the machine and the keyboard were housed in one unit, but the difference was that the unit was much longer than those, and meant to stack a monitor on top of it.

It was also $1000 instead of $500ish.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dick Trauma posted:

When I lived in Denver the company I worked at had taken over a dying mall and was turning it into a call center. I was obliged to conduct a "job fair" at what was left of the mall. There were a couple of stores still open, but everything else was gone. Most of the displays and furniture had been left behind and the Muzak was still playing so it was creepy. We took over an abandoned shoe store, pushing the chairs and shelving away to make room for a folding table. It was an appropriate preview for new hires as to what their work experience would be like.

Also: I had to come back a few months later and on the same day the mall caught fire and there was a tornado warning so no one knew where to evacuate the staff. And the sewage system was lousy so the call center always smelled bad.

Which mall was it. Westminster?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Doccers posted:

Riverside, I'm betting.

.. I worked in that call center. :cry:

Lakeside?

It's a Walmart now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pastry of the Year posted:

I never used an Amiga, so I only know Guru Meditation from the error screen the channel guide our local cable provider ran in the early 90s would sometimes throw up.

I want to say it looked something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59ZBFSkls4

I’m pretty sure those are running on an amiga with a Video Toaster add-on card.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Finally found a laserdisc player at a thrift store (I’ve been looking for 4 years)

$5 for a pioneer CLD-D604.

gently caress yeah.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, demo stations, you never see them anymore outside of maybe indie game stores, even the MS store in the Eaton center replaced the Kinect that used to be outside into just a screen showing game demos.

Pretty much every GameStop, target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc all have systems you can play demo games on in the store.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Iron Crowned posted:

Pan and Scan was just fine in the 80's when people rarely had a TV over 18" and the reduced size and fidelity would paper over all the horrid flaws of it. In fact I feel like a lot of the movies that were shot in wide screen but with an intention on home video sales used that to an advantage.

Of course in the 90's and the 2000's the cracks weren't so easy to hide, especially when DVD showed up.

“Pan and scan” was a specific technique for displaying portions of the full frame though, not really shorthand for 4:3. It’s a technique where they actually scan across the widescreen image in a really unnatural way, sometimes even while the camera in the shot is moving.

Lots of movies in the 80s were filmed with an aspect ratio closer to 4:3 and then cropped for their theatrical release. Then for the home video release they would remove the cropping. Of course they were never meant to be seen in 4:3 so you get stuff in the frame that was never meant to be there like John Cleese wearing pants when he’s clearly supposed to be naked.

Then the ones that did the best with the bad situation they had were the ones that just did what they could with the source material and wouldn’t pan or scan but just give the best view they could for that particular shot and then pick a new area to highlight on the next cut.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I understand people buying professional video monitors that were used in broadcasting and medical imaging but there’s a glut of free CRT TVs that are high and high quality all over Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and other local classifieds services. I have two, one propped up on it’s side for arcade games. Both 27 inch and both free.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Keith Atherton posted:

I. remember in our town in the 70s you only needed to dial 5 digits for a local call. On the phones was a little label under a piece of clear plastic with the phone number (ours said NOrmandy-26996)

And your phone was provided by the phone company. Up until the late 80’s phones weren’t a thing you bought at an electronics store. That became a thing as a result of the Ma Bell breakup maybe?

In the early 90s I lived in a tiny town in Montana where you only had to dial 4 digits to call anyone in the local area. Just a couple years earlier, late 80s I had a friend who still had a party line while living in rural Colorado.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KozmoNaut posted:

BTW if you haven't played Ion Fury yet, do it! It's giving me that special Duke3D/Shadow Warrior/Blood 90s FPS vibe, and there is obviously so much care put into it, especially the level designs (so many secrets!).

E: scratch that, the devs of Ion Fury don't deserve your money.

Why?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I googled. Their official twitter account follows some gamergate people. Who gives a poo poo? That’s not worth a boycott.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mr.Radar posted:

It's more than that. The lead developers posted transphobic and "anti-SJW" comments in their official Discord and the company's official Twitter spent the night doubling down and rallying chuds to defend them. After that people started digging into that accounts history and discovered not only the aforementioned gamergate follows but likes of tweets by Lauren Southern (who is a well-known alt-right grifter) promoting anti-LGBT 4chan conspiracy theories. There's more details in the IOSM thread and the now-closed Games thread for Ion Fury.

Well gently caress those guys. Glad I acquired it via other means.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I wish WebOS had taken off. I had a Palm Pre, Palm Pre 2, and even a HP Pre 3. The pre 3 never came out to the public because HP cancelled it but a ton of them were given to AT&T employees who just put them up on eBay and that’s how I got mine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had an iPaq too, and bought a little d-pad/button dock thing that you slide onto the bottom of it and played NES ROMs on it when I rode the bus to work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Buttcoin purse posted:

Why all the NetWare hate? :colbert:

Noted poster Buttcoin purse answered that question quite well

Buttcoin purse posted:

I've only got a little experience with 3.x. I mean to say it wasn't as polished as Microsoft's solution would be an understatement, but it seemed to work well. For anyone who hasn't done it, installing it is a real adventure. Instead of a step-by-step installer like you'd expect from just about any other piece of software, you have to read through lots of steps in the manual, each of which involves running some commands, knowing exactly what type of hard drive controller you have, etc. There was a lot of going in and out of various tools, making configuration files, and so on. I guess classic Unix operating systems were like this too?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

future ghost posted:

In the Android messages app the space bar acts as a cursor select when you move your finger over it. It won't allow vertical movement but it's close to the same thing.

It works system-wide in iOS as well and has the added benefit of basically turning the whole virtual keyboard into a trackpad so you can move the cursor vertically as well. It’s very nice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think I’m the one individual that loved (at the time) Windows 8. My 2 PCs were a Surface Pro 3 that was used strictly as a tablet and a self-built PC that I was using as an HTPC/gaming machine hooked up to a TV. Obviously it was great on the tablet but my main means of control for the HTPC were a harmony remote (using a flirc device) and a game controller. I get that I was a special case but it really seemed perfect for my use case at the time.

I definitely would have disliked using it as an actual PC at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, but I had a Mac for that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, after taking it apart, seems the thing doesn't have any RAM?

I don't have the means to hookup a 25 year old SCSI drive, unfortunately. and it is running IBM's AIX system
It would probably help solve some questions :(

That sticker on the hard drive says HTX not HIX which is IBM’s Hardware Text eXecutive. (A hardware diagnostics and stress test tool)

If it’s actually AIX on that drive the machine in question probably doesn’t have an intel CPU (the last version of AIX for intel CPUs was released in 1992), or the drive may have been reused from something else and the sticker just not removed.

Pop that heat sink off and see what CPU it’s got!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shut up Meg posted:

It's just an old desktop, though the quad PCMCIA flash cards are an interesting feature.

I really wouldn't waste anytime trying to get the hardware running again: you'll need to source RAM for a start and even if it does work, the battery is going to be dead and BIOS cleared - which is going to be a real headache to reconfigure.

I would be interested in seeing if you can still read the memory cards on suitable hardware.

What the gently caress? All of that stuff is fun.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

When the top gear was peeled off it seemed like it was some kind of reveal and I really wanted dickbutt to be engraved on the gear underneath

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m finally getting around to playing Far Cry 3 and the only way it will run well on my computer is if I go into task manager and tell it to only use 2 cores. It runs at 40FPS if I leave all 8 available to it. If I lock it to only 2 cores it plays at 100+ FPS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Nocheez posted:

Except they weren't. The RivaTNT and TNT2 were knocking on the door and beating the Voodoo in some aspects. I remember showing up to my first LAN party with a TNT2 and blowing away everyone who was still using Voodoo cards.

Here's a fun blast from the past:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia,87.html

The TNT didn’t come out until mid 98. The 1st and 2nd gen 3DFX cards started in 96, and for the first year of the TNT it was only good on paper because the drivers were terrible. Who cares how nice a game looks if it crashes every 10 minutes?

TNTs didn’t overtake voodoo in quality until 99 with the TNT2, which is the start of that 3rd generation. Until then 3DFX wasn’t just marketing, they were pretty much the only cards worth using during the 1st and 2nd gen of 3D accelerated graphics cards.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh hell yes. I first started listening to SomaFM around 2001/2. I had a winamp pluggin I could rip audio from it, before it was easy to find music like that for download. I'd set it up and the next day have 12h of music just waiting for me, it was awesome. Also anyone use this program?

Somehow it's still around, but not sure what the use is anymore. It was the absolute best place for obscure electronic music through the early 2000's. Also met a bunch of early streamer DJ's in Europe that would shout me out on their streams, it goddamn blew my mind that the internet was connecting me with cool randos in this way.

I last used it a few years ago because I’m still a guy that just has a couple hundred GB of music rather than using a more “radio” like service (still using iTunes Match) and there’s still a lot of electronica (especially late 90s and early 2000s) that I can’t find anywhere else.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have a fairly modern PC case, and it came with a firewire port lol

only firewire device I ever owned was a hand me down gen 1 ipod...that thing was such dogshit lol.

Fairly modern in the sense of this thread or the real world? That case looks straight out of 2004. (That’s not a bad thing)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Imagined posted:

Speaking of obsolete car technology, does anyone really buy aftermarket car stereos anymore? I bought aftermarket stereos for my first three cars, but haven't since 2006 or so, a combination of CDs going by the wayside and OEM standard equipment getting a lot better until you could say they're "good enough" for most people, which absolutely was NOT true in the 90s or before. Hell my 2014 VW has drat good speakers, and I didn't get any special package.

But I remember semi-fondly the cheesy flashiness of aftermarket stereos, and having to take the faceplate off and carry it with me because car stereos were such a commonly stolen item. Not to mention the huge sleeves of CDs you kept in the car that almost everyone my age has a story about having stolen.

Actually it kind of feels like cars just don't get broken into as often as they used to in general. It's been almost 20 years since the last time it happened to me, and I can't remember the last time anyone I know told me it happened to them, but in the 90s and early 2000s it feels like it was really common.

I used to drive a Miata as my daily and I worried about people cutting the roof to get inside so I just used to leave my doors unlocked instead. I had my tollbooth change taken a couple times but the most annoying thing stolen was the hat that I kept in the car for driving with the top down (I’m bald and a sunburned head sucks)

I installed an aftermarket stereo but the way modern cars are you have to remove the entire console to get to them and this has the side effect of making them difficult to steal, or you have can’t even install one at all because they are tied into other things in the car (my Fiesta ST was like that)

I see car stereos at thrift stores all the time so I think the market for stolen stereos has just dried up.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Jul 10, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
About a year ago I downsized my retro-game collection by selling a lot of my console collection and listed two 27” CRTs on the local classifieds for free. Here’s a voice mail I got from an interested party.

https://youtu.be/AHMVVp6rG-8

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have children. No need for an alarm clock until their teenage years.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Nintendo’s game counselor line back in the NES days wasn’t a 900 number it was a long distance call to Redmond Washington. It was obviously still a long distance call (remember those?) for most of the country but it wasn’t a specific toll call service that cost extra, and Nintendo never saw any money from those long distance fees. Pretty cool to provide as a free service.

GutBomb has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Feb 27, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’ve worked at a place that had unlimited paid time off. The culture there was to never use it at all. It was worse than having a set amount because taking anything more than a day at a time was seen as an abuse of the system.

That place also had an incredibly grueling interview process with multiple whiteboard sessions in front of 12 people. I was unable to figure out their puzzle on my own so asked for help and cracked jokes the whole time to hide the rage and humiliation. They still hired me though so after that it felt like hazing instead of a tool to evaluate my skills.

I hated it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pretty good posted:

That reminds me that I've seen TVs with PCMCIA slots a handful of times, long after they stopped being a standard feature on laptops. A cursory search suggests that some cable/satellite providers used PCMCIA cards as pass keys to enable TVs to decode broadcasts, but that seems like a weirdly niche thing to provide/require, right? What's up with that? Is it still a thing at all?

If you’re in the US that’s a “CableCard” slot. They were a great (from the consumer standpoint) alternative to a cable box from your cable tv provider and there was a lot of FCC regulation behind them requiring cable providers to support them. Unfortunately they never caught on and just last year the FCC relaxed their regulations because they realized of all of the TVs in the US there were only 600 thousand cable cards actively used in the whole country.

I had a few cablecard based DVRs in the early 2010s and the whole idea of it was really cool but the execution was janky as gently caress.