Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Late, but halon is still in limited use with the US Navy. They also still stock freon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

tribbledirigible posted:

I'd lime to draw attention to the Telex number at the bottom of this screen. Basically a point to point text messaging system that weren't unlike the telepgraph crossed sith a fax machine. A law firm I once worked for had one sittting in a closet with some casette based computers.

Late I bet, but telex is still in use in the shipping world. I see places still list it as a POC.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Here is a new topic: imagery satellites. Back when only a few countries had them, they needed to recover the actual film. The satellite would jettison the film canister and it would deorbit and reenter the atmosphere. Prior to landing on the surface, it would be decending via parachute, where it would get grabbed out of the air by a waiting aircraft, then whisked away to wherever for processing.

In one case in 1972, it went wrong and the film fell into the pacific. Check out the link for the full story, but it is quite facinating.
http://m.space.com/17055-classified-hexagon-satellite-capsule-ocean-recovery.html

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I worked on a small cruise ship in the early oughts and we had the old father time detex clock. A proper watch would make a spiral pattern in the paper. Later we got the electric one, but it used an rfid I think and looked like a little wand. As was stated it was charged in a base station where it also uploaded all the data. Rumor was someone had all the rfids mounted on a board and they could sit around and mark off their rounds in comfort.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

atomicthumbs posted:

I work at an e-waste recycler. Until recently, I was the eBay guy; I still get my pick of cool stuff for cheap. I've avoided posting Cool poo poo here because I wasn't caught up with this thread. Here's some Cool poo poo.

I found it in the circuit boards bin, along with a number of other similar discrete logic boards from the Lockheed Missile Systems Division. I know what they are, but have no clue what they're from. I've written to the research department at the Computer History Museum, so I may find out soonish!

My dad, who worked on radars and other related tech in the 60s claims it looks like an AND gate and edge connector, "just like it says". He remembers making ferrite core memory as well fwiw.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Kind of surprised grocery stores don't yet have carts that scan the cargo so the persons items are tallied upon arrival at the checkout so they just pay after reviewing the tally. All the tech to do that exists, probably not worth the effort yet.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone remember Blue Frog? It was an attempt to fight spammers with spam.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Frog

The spam community fought back and they faded out pretty fast, but it kind of worked for a while.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I brought my minidisc player to NZ for a month long trip back in 03. This was before the iPod era and it was great. A single AA battery ran it for about 8 hrs and I was able to put several hours of music on just a few discs. It still works and every now and then I break it out. Dead tech but worked well for the time.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
FWIW, my 2000 Toyota Tacoma has crank Windows. They still work flawlessly too.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but what do people today do with obsolete music collections? I have hundreds of cd's in jewel boxes I can't bear to part with, but don't really know how to best archive. Cd's have to considered obsolete by now, right?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I know the traditional credit card swipe reader is about to be worthy of this thread, but for fucks sake, why do the new chip readers do the following after I enter my card?

Reading...do not remove card>APPROVED>Do Not Remove Card>Please Wait for Cashier>APPROVED>Do Not Forget Card

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Telex is still in use on ships, sorta. The GMDSS console has some Telex capability as some posts still is it, but honestly email/Inmarsat has replaced it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

ryonguy posted:

A ship is generally not at risk for running into anything (in the middle of the ocean obviously, to stave off pedantry) if steering fails, and travel at very low speed which allows for maintenance and repairs to be done in situ. A plane or a car becomes an unguided munition around dozens or hundreds of people; in the airplane's case with a non-voluntary kamikaze component.

Late, but I sailed on what one of these ships was rebuilt into.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Esso_Brussels

A cotter pin failure lead to the Verrazano bridge getting burned and several deaths.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If you are near DC, WTOP has hd 103.5-3 called the gamut. Just endless music, no fixed genres and no commercials. It is fantastic if you want bill Monroe followed by REM then Mos Def.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Well AKSHUALLY ships would prefer not to have a steering casualty at sea either as a stopped vessel is burning money like mad, and many popular routes even at sea are busy and risk of collision is still present.

Still, good catch.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

shovelbum posted:

Crazy they made the sea witch engine room into the back of a chem tanker right

Yeah, that ship had some demons. An entire tank of stainless steel is something to see though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
On minidisc chat: I still have mine and it still impresses me. 1 AA battery is good for like 8-10 hours in that thing.
I recall reading on these forums way back that they were popular with reporters for voice interviews.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 2017 Toyota also has a CD player

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Many small sats only have a life of a few years and deal in numbers(planet is the example I am thinking of here) are they cutting corners with this stuff to save some money or are they compelled to use better materials by underwriters?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sorry that was badly worded. There are companies now putting up lots of small satellites that have a short service life. I was wondering if the short expected service life means they can cut corners in production, or if some other regulations prevent that.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Seems like a good time to post this:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ZfDEe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have owned two Tacoma's since 2001 and this feature is news to me. Is this a non us market feature?