Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I've got the same exact situation with the 2005 Pontiac G6, including the information display being integrated with the stereo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
At that point you might as well just buy a decent bluetooth speaker and use that instead. Get one with a usb charge cable and you can plug it into your lighter as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Small fm transmitters are awful but wired fm modulators are actually quite good and a reasonable way to add an aux-in. They sit inline with the antenna input for the radio and disconnect the external fm antenna when active so you never have interference.

Not as easy as with head units which have inputs for trunk mounted cd changers but still easy to diy install and only a $30-$50 fix depending on how fancy of one you get.

Shifty Pony has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Nov 28, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I finally got fed up with my 2002 Ford Ranger having the same issue, and bought a new head unit with a USB port from Crutchfield. Made my hour-each-way commute much less lovely.

It wasn't that hard to install either.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
The Quaser, a 1960s car made out of glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u543fIX5g

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

doodlebugs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u543fIX5g

I thought it was going to be this sort of Quasar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72XK0giMzU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Or this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhUcgugkVU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

doodlebugs posted:

It's like a miniature popemobile. :3:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

doodlebugs posted:

I had to keep reminding myself that wasn't a parody video.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

taiyoko posted:

I wish my car had a cassette player. It's a 2004 Chevy Malibu, and it has a (broken) CD player, and no aux-in. I'm stuck with an FM adapter that sounds shittier than a cassette adapter because at least with the cassette adapter, I didn't have to worry about interference or finding an empty radio channel. And since the radio also has the information display, replacing it with a modern head unit would run me about $300.

Since my wife and I both got cars in 2005-2006, we managed to just miss getting aux ports as standard. That sucked for the next 5 years. However, I did find that off brand foreign fm transmitters from places like DealExtreme seemed stronger than name brand ones. Maybe the name brand stuff was paranoid about violating some FCC rule.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I had to keep reminding myself that wasn't a parody video.

Six dudes, sitting on pool toys, driving around in a hothouse, pissing off other drivers who can't find a parking space.

Perfect!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Humphreys posted:

I was doing some debugging of some software and associated hardware today and remembered that the term 'bug' and 'debug' was rooted to the actual finding of bugs (the animal) inside circuits causing shorts. If you have ever worked on air conditioning units in the tropics you will understand it, except instead of bugs it's always a drat Gecko.

Hah, I worked for a time in Florida installing gear in cellular stations. Each building had a stack of big-assed power supplies converting the mains power into 24v fuckton of amps for the equipment. And without fail below every power supply I personally saw was piles of dead wildlife. Frogs, bugs, lizards, they'd all climb into the power supplies probably for warmth and bridge a couple bus bars and get zorched. Then they'd fall out onto the floor and sit there presumably until someone swept it up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I work at an e-waste recycler. Until recently, I was the eBay guy; I still get my pick of cool stuff for cheap. I've avoided posting Cool poo poo here because I wasn't caught up with this thread. Here's some Cool poo poo.

I found it in the circuit boards bin, along with a number of other similar discrete logic boards from the Lockheed Missile Systems Division. I know what they are, but have no clue what they're from. I've written to the research department at the Computer History Museum, so I may find out soonish!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

I found it in the circuit boards bin, along with a number of other similar discrete logic boards from the Lockheed Missile Systems Division. I know what they are, but have no clue what they're from.

I... don't know if this is the kind of thing you should be posting in a public forum about.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I found one of my favorite childhood videos on YouTube recently, and it's a great example of obsolete tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ

Old CG is the best. Apparently they made a few sequels but this is still the best one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Around 1993 I worked at an educational retail store and we carried all of those late 1980s/early 1990s CG compilations. I loved those things since I'd been interested in computer graphics from back when that meant ASCII pictures printed on a teletype. We had several big screens to run videos on but we almost always wound up playing one of those frickin' Disney movies instead. Working an eight hour shift with Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast playing on repeat was mind numbing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I... don't know if this is the kind of thing you should be posting in a public forum about.

That looks like diode logic so I'd guess it's from the 60s at the latest (nuke tech is always lagging behind the cutting edge while they test and verify the new stuff). Not really a proliferation risk, especially considering what it implements.

It's just an AND gate, you'd presumably stick a bunch of those into a backplane to set up some sort of logic circuit. It could have gone into anything but I'd bet against an actual missile, since cards like that take up a lot of space and could easily shake loose in a launch.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That looks like diode logic so I'd guess it's from the 60s at the latest (nuke tech is always lagging behind the cutting edge while they test and verify the new stuff). Not really a proliferation risk, especially considering what it implements.

It's just an AND gate, you'd presumably stick a bunch of those into a backplane to set up some sort of logic circuit. It could have gone into anything but I'd bet against an actual missile, since cards like that take up a lot of space and could easily shake loose in a launch.

All the boards have transistors on them. At one point, these things were loving Expensive.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

The last car made in the U.S. to have a factory-installed cassette player? This one.

Cassettes: The Very Best in Obsolete Technology

Of all cars I would expect to have a modern audio installation, a Lexus would certainly be one of them. Why :psyduck:

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

Laserjet 4P posted:

Of all cars I would expect to have a modern audio installation, a Lexus would certainly be one of them. Why :psyduck:

Old people love their Lexuses and also love their cassettes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dewgy posted:

I found one of my favorite childhood videos on YouTube recently, and it's a great example of obsolete tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbG34c1qorQ

Old CG is the best. Apparently they made a few sequels but this is still the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Laserjet 4P posted:

It's also not correct, the town car and grand marquis were in production with a tape deck until 2011.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blugu64 posted:

It's also not correct, the town car and grand marquis were in production with a tape deck until 2011.

I think it's last model year 'revision' vs 'last new shipment date' they are probably both right depending on what you mean because the Town Car and Grand Marquis were a 2003 revision but shipped until 2011 with minor changes. There were apparently also two SCs shipped to the US in 2012 so who knows.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

All the boards have transistors on them. At one point, these things were loving Expensive.

Are the transistors on the other side?

I know you can implement logic gates using only diodes so given the visible components I made an assumption.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are the transistors on the other side?

I know you can implement logic gates using only diodes so given the visible components I made an assumption.

I'm pretty sure that the three little round silver things are the transistors. Unless they are on the other side of the silver pads, but they look like some kind of current balancing circuit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Plinkey posted:

I'm pretty sure that the three little round silver things are the transistors. Unless they are on the other side of the silver pads, but they look like some kind of current balancing circuit.

They are the keys to a Blackbird :rock:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

They are the keys to a Blackbird :rock:

I'm pretty sure the blackbird just has a sensor in the seat to make sure that your balls are sufficiently big enough before you can start it up.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The Blackbird has two toggle switches. They are labeled "Are you ready to rock?" (flip to "Yeah") and "I SAID, ARE YOU READY TO ROCK??" (Flip to "HELL YEAH")

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

atomicthumbs posted:

I work at an e-waste recycler. Until recently, I was the eBay guy; I still get my pick of cool stuff for cheap. I've avoided posting Cool poo poo here because I wasn't caught up with this thread. Here's some Cool poo poo.

I found it in the circuit boards bin, along with a number of other similar discrete logic boards from the Lockheed Missile Systems Division. I know what they are, but have no clue what they're from. I've written to the research department at the Computer History Museum, so I may find out soonish!

My dad, who worked on radars and other related tech in the 60s claims it looks like an AND gate and edge connector, "just like it says". He remembers making ferrite core memory as well fwiw.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Can you share some pictures of the others?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
FIL has old computer mags collecting dust on a shelf, and some of them have better-not-make-a-typo code included in the back for the readers:

BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY

Love the accompanying drawings:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Trabant posted:

Love the accompanying drawings:

Yes! This is "Basic Computer Games", right? Post the one for Russian Roulette. :3:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I recognize those drawings. I might have had (or borrowed) that book when I was a kid and writing BASIC programs from magazines into my SVI-328. :3:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
http://www.calormen.com/jsbasic/

10 PRINT "Keiya is the best! ";
20 GOTO 10

(Speaking of obsolete and failed: required line numbers!)

Keiya has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Nov 29, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Keiya posted:

http://www.calormen.com/jsbasic/

10 PRINT "Keiya is the best! ";
20 GOTO 10

(Speaking of obsolete and failed: required line numbers!)

How do you do POKE53281,INT(RND(0)*254+1):POKE53280:INT(RND(0)*254+1) in that?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

The easy way? Use a c64 emulator instead :P

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Keiya posted:

The easy way? Use a c64 emulator instead :P

I don't see how that would allow me to induce seizures on an Apple?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

It wouldn't, but if memory serves, messing with colors on the Apple is a right pain in the rear end.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought it was going to be this sort of Quasar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72XK0giMzU

my personal favorite quasar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEDlPruj3oQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I was on vacation to NYC for a week and just got back and offloaded my pictures onto my computer. My hotel isn't even half a block away from the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, and my brother and I made a few visits and got some neat stuff. Here's one interesting item I got a picture of (though I didn't buy it):

I was also incredibly lucky and scored a ticket to tour the heretofore abandoned hospital of Ellis Island; the island was abandoned completely in 1954, but the hospital didn't get reopened and turned into a museum with the registration hall starting in the 70s. For the past 60 years it's been almost totally untouched apart from a few rare visits, and only starting last year was an attempt made to start renovating it. So far, that's been entirely limited to stringing up a few lights and trimming the foliage so you can actually walk the paths.

Anyways, one of the rooms we visited was the fluoroscopy room. Everything was abandoned except a few sinks...and the fluoroscope regulator.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Dec 1, 2015