Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Sorry to all my regular goonbros - I'm sick as a drat dog and can barely sit up straight, much less be effective at vidya games. Hopefully I'l kick this thing quick and be back in another day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

Desperately seeking Origin wins. Where is everyone?

I'm sick.

re: Concussive Shot, don't forget that it can also set off Tech Bursts and send mooks flying.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

VJeff posted:

How do you guys build those shotgunnin' Geth Infiltrators?

One part piss, one part vinegar, one part Pirahna. Stir vigorously and pour over pre-seasoned combat chassis.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Zombie mode looks like so much fun. I just wish it was an actual optional gameplay mode.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Basically, has everyone moved on or are there still enough people at low ranks or whatever to warrant jumping in now?

An N7 rating over 120 is basically just dick waving. You should be able to start off without much issue. Play Bronze to get used to the maps, buy some Veteran packs to get some upgrades, then move on to Silver matches.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I'm surprised they haven't RP'd the friends list fuckups into the mission flavor text while they are working on a fix.

"Heavy enemy activity is causing interference with civilian comm channels and personal devices. Military comms have been switched to backup encryption algorithms and secondary frequencies and are unaffected."

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

SirViver posted:

:words:
The quickest W10 completion run was about 20 minutes - far quicker than the average W/G/G run
:words:

I can say with certainty that this is not 'far quicker'. With a GethInf, SalEng, Demo and Shadow, we clear W/G/P wave 10 objectives in 20 minutes consistently. Tech Bursts are preferred over biotic explosions because they have a larger radius and subsequently more AoE damage. The point is that there is no one combination of class/map variables that is superior to everything else - there are still options out there to vary the gameplay, but it comes down to personal preference, class synergy, and player skill.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I can't recall if anyone specifically posted a fix for this, but if your friends list is blank or won't connect after the Origin update (PC) you can fix it. I was having a hard time making it work and another goon found the fix - change your Origin password, then log out and back on with the new one. I spent about an hour being frustrated with it until I did this, and it fixed the friends list issue immediately.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Semisponge posted:

My Origin friends list is mostly fixed, except there's this one guy who's entirely invisible to me. He's not on my friends list, but I can see him through mutual friends. I can't send him messages, but Origin still counts us as friends so I can't just try to re-friend him, and it spits up an error if I try to unfriend. We're also friends on steam so I've confirmed that he can't see me either. As far as I can tell he's the only person on my list that this has happened to.

:psyduck:

Your friend probably should try updating their password in Origin. I know that when my list was buggered, my pals couldn't see me either until I fixed it.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Enter Char posted:

Today I got booted from a gold game because apparently I was stealing kills by using tech bursts, coming ahead of two other players, and not dyeing all the time.

It was also my fault one of the players using a vanguard glitched out, because according to him, he hit my combat drone.

:psyduck:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

My commendation pack contained an Eagle Mk I. I now have the Crusader, Valiant and Eagle... but what I want is the Hurricane.

In other news, I like running the Saber with my Turian Sentinel. The cadence of aimed fire works well with a spammy class, because you don't have to wait for clips to run out, etc. I also agree that it has the best sound of any assault rifle. It does as much or more damage as most multi-shot sniper rifles (with the exception of the Black Widow) and is lighter than the Harrier. A++ would buy again.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

They should give turians AT LEAST the Vorcha duck and weave, and probably deserve the drell ninja flips if not better. According to the lore, turians are the most mobile race in the game by a pretty big margin.

Looks pretty limber to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHStdhBf2FE

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Is this on any particular platform? I've heard of this on the 360, bit haven't seen it happen on PC.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Think of Silver matches as 'Gold Lite' rather than 'Bronze Plus'. If you're doing public matchmaking, it's almost easier to do gold matches. Baddie pubs are more likely to whore silver than to attempt gold. Also keep in mind that with each increasing level of difficulty, you need to change your strategy accordingly. A good rule is the higher the level, the closer you should stay to the squad. On bronze you can Rambo around without consequences; on gold and platinum, it's a death sentence.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

http://social.bioware.com/4059587/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_pc&pid=366924358&display=multiplayer

I also tend to play a lot with the Demolisher, but mostly because its very Platinum-friendly. I really dig the shadow and the infiltrator classes, but I don't get to play them as often due to group dynamics or squad needs. Looks like my roster is fairly complete; I've got almost everything unlocked but not necessarily at highest level. I'm only missing a few things overall.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I am also into Walking Dead RP sessions. Origin name is same as SA name. I will also vouch for AdmiralMundane and zxqv8 as solid goon bros.

P.S.- I have PM, so if you're comfortable sharing trade secrets on how to set up Huskfest matches, I will gladly host them.

edit: Got it figured out. Working on tweaks to the settings, but its crazy good fun so far. The only thing I left in were Brutes on the objective waves.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 23, 2012

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

So after some minor tweaks and experimentation, zxqv8 and I have come up with a pretty good setting for Huskocalypse matches. Payouts are, of course, zero... But xp is still full value.

The settings are:
- 120 maximum enemies active at any given time
- Up to 30 enemies can spawn at once per spawn point
- Husk spawn value reduced from 10pts to 7 pts (more Husks per wave)
- Waves 1,2,4,5,7,8,9,11: all Husks
- Objective waves: add Brutes to Husks in same proportion to normal wave values

This was tuned for 2 players on Silver. With the increased per-wave budgets on Gold, it should still hold up well but may require a bit of tweaking. We did a couple matches; the last one with these settings was on Dagger and it was pretty nuts. With a Paladin and a Slayer, it took us 28 minutes to clear, and there was not really any downtime except between waves. A few spots got choppy when lots of Husks met a red-mist demise.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I put together a short video for the Huskocalypse mod. It was mainly to test out my new editing software, but I think it came out pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9xAvp9YccE

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

KidKrampus posted:

I got a friend who is in possession of a Scorpion VI. He wants to know how to get the best use out of it. Not having it myself nor seeing many people using it, I have no clue what to tell him. I did see a Destroyer using it pretty well against Geth by spamming the poo poo out of it, but I figure he could have been doing just as much damage with a Talon or other weapon. Any suggestions?

Send him this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFJQUfiIN0

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

surrender posted:

I've only been able to finish out one game today, out of about five. I just played a game on Condor/Geth/Gold, only to have it crash with 16 seconds left in the extraction wave :suicide:

What the hell is keeping this game from banking credits immediately after a wave ends? It would make these crashes much less frustrating

Since the MP portion is player hosted, the game progresses until it ends, then the results are sent back to the main server. I would imagine that doing otherwise would require a lot more infrastructure on the part of Bioware.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Promoted 4 classes. Sigh... the highest one I have left is a 15 sentinel.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

VJeff posted:

Hm, tried a match as the Destroyer and something occurred to me - is reload canceling not a viable option for him on the Xbox? Disengaging Devastator Mode to reload cancel when it has a really long cooldown due to your weaponry strikes me as a bad idea.

Unless there's a way to reload cancel on the Xbox besides hitting Y that I'm unaware of.

Is Medigel the Y button? I'm on PC and rebinded the Medigel to mouse, and I use that for reload cancelling. Has no side effects unless you happen to die at the same time as your cancel.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Got Warp Rounds IV and a Valiant II.

All I want is a Hurricane D:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

As bugs go, at least that one was interesting to look at. Also, you took that rocket to the face like a champ. Is there a :garrus: emoticon? If there isn't, there should be.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

SalEng is an awesome class. Put one point into Decoy, grab a shotgun, and farm gold matches at level 1. Seriously, the decoy is that good.
Also, was it the QFE or Quariman?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Magic Love Hose posted:

It also gets you some of the newer mods from multiplayer (omni-blade on the assault rifle, ultralight pistol materials) and a new decorative item for the captain's quarters that has to be seen to be believed.

Unless it tops Dancing Kelly, I'm not interested.

That bitch could dance.

Mmmm.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I encountered a fun bug today while playing a Salarian Infiltrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhOITCQHTYs

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

It is worth mentioning that Origin/EA is having a Labor Day sale through Sept. 5th, and included among the sale items is Mass Effect 3 Digital for $19.99. That's cheaper than what I bought it for at a discount key site, so anyone who is looking into getting this game, now is a great time to do it.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Hey friends I have a Q, apparently the PC version of ME3 is on sale and I really wanna get it for my BF, my question is, could I buy the disc version and just give him the code in the manual? Would that be enough for him to DL it?

Or does he need the discs?
The $19.99 sale has both digital download and physical copy options. I'm not sure if there is a shipping charge for the physical copy. Basically, all you need is the product key which you enter into the Origin interface, and that serves as proof of purchase.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Got a couple of nice PSPs today.

Also, if you haven't tried it, pizza delivery missions can be more awesome. Get a running start at it, and when you reach the package, spam the space bar (or substitute your action key here) and you'll run while dropping and picking up the package. Corners are a bit wierd if you're hosting, but it makes for easy deliveries and it's kinda fun to boot.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I've never gotten high scores with my Salarian Engineer, but I pretty much only use him for Platinum matches. ED is specced for radius and armor boost. The point of ED in that context is to set up tech bursts, so the power damage is mostly irrelevant. Most plat matches I run in also have an N7 Demolisher, so my points become theirs since specced arc grenades have a longer DoT effect than ED. My job is to keep a decoy up and contribute to tech bursts. It's a team effort, which is reflected in the total xp score, so I don't care if my personal score is low.

As far as weapons go, I usually run a Pirahna Mk X, which gives me 72 rounds of ammo and 150% cooldowns, which equates to a power recharge that is sub 3 seconds. Last night, we finished Wave 10 objective, got paid and died in 17:59 with no exploits because the decoy kept us out of harm's way.

Nobody I've ever run Platinum with has ever complained about my score, because Primes aren't knocking their dicks into the dirt and they can concentrate on doing their jobs of laying down some hurt.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

That just happened to me on Vancouver during wave 9 on Gold. Got stuck underneath the buildings somehow, the rest of the team wiped on wave 10 and I could hear them yelling at me to do something, except for one guy who realized that my messed up model had an assault rifle sticking out of its butt and was floating in midair.

Wouldn't have been so annoyed if it hadn't been a waste of so many good consumables and myleaving meant that I didn't get any goddamncredits

Why would you leave? If they're all dead, even if you couldn't be killed, wave 10 means a max of 5 minutes wait until payday. Sure, it sucks, but losing credits was the option you chose, not something that was forced upon you.

Edit: vvvv Good call. Since quoted post didn't mention objective status I didn't think of that.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 3, 2012

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

LogicNinja posted:

I just unlocked the Demolisher today too. Great for FWB/G/G, but I'm not sure how well I'll do in real Gold games. Probably not very--whenever I have to take on even a centurion or Marauder one-on-one, I get shot to death, probably because I'm lovely at shooting.

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

I usually run Pirahna X and a fun gun that is flavor of the day. Pirahna is for bosses; fun gun for whatever situational purpose I have in mind. Lately, with the shield gate changes, it has been the Widow or Javelin. Sure, it's impractical, but I do it anyways. I mostly play the Demolisher on Gold or Platinum rounds where a bit of camping is in order.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Psion posted:

I have both and I actually prefer the Harrier to the Indra (both at I) for my destroyer, but I have no idea if that's the pro DPS optimal strategy.

The main consideration between the two for me is entirely strategy based. If you can afford to chain yourself near ammo crates, the Harrier is superior. If you play a more mobile style, you'll probably be happier with the Indra since it has a much larger ammo reserve, especially with the 90% spare ammo increase module. The Harrier's ammo mod only increases clip capacity, not total rounds available. With the Harrier, I run ext barrel and piercing; with the Indra I run ammo and barrel with AP ammo consumable. It more or less gives you a slightly less powerful per shot Harrier with 400 rounds and a scope while retaining the AP properties.

That being said, I generally only use the Indra on Bronze/Silver matches because on Gold/Plat cover and camping are preferable strategies for most classes, and this benefits the Harrier more since you'll likely be near ammo crates.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I'm kitting out a Batarian Sentinel now... and I must say, the changes are nice... very nice!

All 6 evolutions in Fitness for Health/Shields gives you 1425 each, for a total of 2850.

Submission net, specced for damage and DoT, with Batarian Enforcer at 5 points for max power damage, yields 1455 damage, and a sub-2 second cooldown with a Pirahna Mk X equipped (195% cooldown!) and 318.75 damage per second DoT in a 6m area around the affected target.

:fap:

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

So I did pretty good on my PSPs today.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Dr Intergalactic posted:

So I got the N7 Fury card yesterday :dance:

I've been looking at different builds, most focusing on the DC Throw combo. Suggestions?

I run my Fury 6/3/6/5/6. I'm aggressive as hell with it.
I think for AF I took radius, movement speed, and duration.
Throw is specced for radius, combo reset, and impact force.
Power damage in class bonus.
Fitness for max hp & shields.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Dr Intergalactic posted:

I've got an Eagle I so my cooldown will stay super low and I should be able to stay safe what with dodging and cover. When upgrading Throw, since the recharge is already low (1.31 sec I think) I should take the Detonate slot instead of Recharge Combo right? I would think by the time Throw got to it's destination I would already be almost charged fully.

Also, Tactical Granny. I think I'm still a little apprehensive about being real aggressive. Playing on the 360 so I have more accidental actions than the standard PC player. (or good console players :() Although extra health and shields never hurt nobody.

Either way my adept class is at 16 already so I'll likely hit 20 and promote. By then I should know better how I'd like to spend those precious points.

Well, you said you were looking at different builds... and mine is definitely different.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Psion posted:

If all your explosions are annihilation field and throw-based, then the extra shields make sense over maxing DC, because it means you can get up close and survive longer while you set off a billion biotic combos.

This.

I have the three on Dark Channel for utility and hack zone objective waves, and nothing more. My primary focus is running in like a :downs: and spamming throw. When it comes to bosses, I flirt the edge of AF and reprime for endless throwsplosions. Sounds crude, but it can be very effective, and I don't need DC to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

JackMackerel posted:

Is the Disruptor Beam on the N7 Slayer worth it? I'd rather dump points into Biotic Slash and take cover than have my dumb rear end get wasted after blowing my shields in a moment, but I've watched my brother use it effectively on Gold.

You've pretty much answered your own question here, but to be clear, yes, it is worth it.
Some people have great success with it, some don't. Personally, I love it for Bronze and Silver matches, but wouldn't take it on Gold or Platinum. If it doesn't fit your playstyle, by all means, skip it.

• Locked thread