Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
I feel like the volus sentinal is the best passive support dude; you can have drone and decoy working for you and leave all your cooldowns for sheild boost. He's real lackluster in damage, but I like the change of pace of keeping all the enemies occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of which, have we ever really made a consensus on a list of objectively "bad" classes? I think most goons would agree the Quarian Femgineer is probably under-gunned for gold even with the fire/cry explosion changes. Volus mercenary sounds pretty lackluster now that melee enemies 100% ignore decoys too.

I don't feel like there are any truly bad classes anymore now that fire/cryo explosions are easier to detonate. There are classes that are very effective, but I know I do a lot better with a QFE than I do with a fury, just because I am awful at getting in close.

Side note: I know Bioware said something along the lines of melee creatures ignore pets, but is that working? I don't stop brutes forever with my drones anymore, but they do seem to get caught for a bit...

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Kaizer88 posted:

I'd really skip the turret. It does piddly damage, gets blasted pretty much instantaneously on gold or even on silver against the shootier factions. Tech damage sabotage and grenades pack a good punch. Hurricane or argus are good guns to take advantage of Turian's stability bonus.

I look at the turret in the same way I look at the hawk ml, where it's a bit of extra damage and a distraction. If I'm moving around with the t-sab I throw turret ahead of me, and I use it to delay dudes when I'm running away.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Will instant cast powers work thru praetorian anti power fields? It seems like instants will cast thru phantom shields.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Demitri Omni posted:

Instant cast abilities won't go through the Praetorian/Phantom shields, though in the case of Phantoms, since it's instant, as long as they don't already have the shield up the power will hit (and usually won't trigger their shield, depending on what it is). Even if they put the shield up at that point, effects like Warp/Fire/Reave/Etc. will still tick damage. The shield simply blocks new powers from taking effect. The Phantom shield has a reaction time tied to it, while the Praetorian shield seems to just activate automatically on the first power directed at it.

Thanks! That makes sense, I was hitting phantoms with dark channel and getting them every time, but I cast it on them as soon as I saw them. I must have hit them before the shield was up, and then enjoyed the resulting painful death.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
The BSNer who had posted HD Slomo of the multiplayer has been updating with videos, and they're awesome! Here's the vorcha sentinel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=320nejmFBG4

It's just hirez slomo, no added music or titles or bullshit. Flamer's pretty good you guys.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Gangringo posted:

Am I missing something about the huntress? Everyone here seems to think it's broken awesome but she feels really weak when I play.

I just gave her another shot and even with every possible power damage boost/consumable and playing against collectors dark channel took forever to kill anything.

You need to fire DC from under cloak to get the massive boost (if you fire DC right after cloaking you have a 3 sec cooldown no matter what, so you can ignore gun weight).

The other issue you might have is that DC does 50% damage to shields, so you have to take down their shields before DC wrecks them.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I managed the weekend challenge by waiting till an objective wave on reaper hydra bronze. I just had to find a few spawns with cannibals and husks.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I am big into keeping my cooldowns down. Thanks!

Don't forget that tac cloak makes cool down irrelevant since the min cd is always the same. Cloak-fire-2.5 sec cd-cloak again, even at -200% cd.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Is the Turian soldier good for anything? I've wasted 2 respec cards on him, maxing stability so that the Striker, Typhoon and Revenant had next to no recoil, max shields and proxy mine, then redoing it to max concussion shot for more flexibility and dropping Marksman down to 3, but he still seems pretty useless. It's nice having really heavy shields and health, but if I want a tank then I might as well go Krogan or Destroyer.

The best time I had with the Tyrian soldier is when I use a lighter full auto gun and spam conc and proxy all the time. Conc is great for stagger, and proxy will explode even if you shoot it directly at an enemy, so you can use it like a weird rocket launcher.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Charlie Mopps posted:

I finally unlocked the asari justicar and its such a lacklustre class compared to the asari huntress. Reave is dogshit compared to dark channel, both in damage and duration. The bubble is pretty situational and lift is :lol: on gold due to everything dying within seconds once armour/shield/barrier is gone.

This has already been mentioned, but the fact that Reave can be applied multiple times to the same target and each one stacks is an easily missed important chunk of knowledge. Stacking reaves on a dude can do comparable damage to a cloaked dark channel, and reave with area will reliably hit 3 guys at once (when they're bunched up). I didn't know why people liked the Drell Adept till I really understood Reave.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's the thread and I think it's pretty clear cut from the exchange in there that the Juggernaut "has" a turret.

"Eric please tell me his pre existing power is Geth Turret" and Eric Fagnan's response was "Very well, yes it is the turret."

This is a good link, it only has the posts from the developer (thanks for posting!) Pertinent section:

The Geth Juggernaut has reduced mobility so he moves slowly, can't evade, and can't take cover. To compensate, he has significantly more defenses than anyone else and has a few special abilities to help him deflect damage and be more survivable.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
QFE is not great at being aggressive and many other classes can kill faster, but anyone with a turret can be a fun change of pace if you want to take it easy for a match. I have never seen a setup for Quarian soldier that makes him sound good though.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Yeah I go for 4/6/6/4/6 for maximum fire explosions, and then I spec my krosent for maximum soldiering by skipping or only putting 3 in incinerate, since krosent can't self combo.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Asari Huntress + Batarian heavy melee

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Does anyone else feel like the scion extra damage bug is back? I was getting killed or nearly so after 3 shots.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I had some luck not charging the talon bow and using it as ghetto ballistic blades for the group stagger, but I only used the special arrows when I felt guilty about burning those points.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I feel like this new DLC is focused on the player skill oriented classes more than any other:

Adept is designed around fast long range detonations, with a weird way of priming and detonating

Juggie is a tank, so you need to prioritize enemies and know map layouts

Sentinel is super melee focused so you have to know sync killers

Engineer is bad and you have to know sadness (or where enemies will spawn I guess? for trip mine abuse)

Infiltrator you have to understand cloak and the fiddly bits of it

Cabal is finicky enough I imagine I'll think it's garbage until Elotana posts a video of him destroying with it

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Jove posted:

Hey guys, I'd like to stop sucking so much and you guys seem to know what's up. My favorite characters are the Justicar, Valkyrie, Huntress, Shadow, and Kroguard. Which weapons should I be using with each for max effectiveness? Here's my manifest.

Two biggest things with your faves if you don't know:
Reave can be applied multiple times, so use it on everyone always
If you hit cloak then dark channel right after, you apply a massive damage over time that'll kill a phantom in a couple seconds.

With the classes you mentioned, guns aren't as big of a deal, just use your powers with wild abandon

Edit - you can put the talon pistol on all those folks, with warp ammo on the biotics, and wreck poo poo full time

eonblue174 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 1, 2013

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Just had a weird glitch on PC:

He showed up first on my turian soldier, but I am dumb and didn't capture that one.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I had a lot of fun with a geth trooper + typhoon + some points in Flamer. There's some mechanics based reasoning, but the short version is that flamer doesn't care about cooldowns so much if you don't hold it down, and it does plenty of damage just doing short bursts.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

ineptmule posted:

So, are the volus characters really terribad, or what?

The weird thing with the Volus and with the Juggernaut in some situations is that they are much more team oriented than any of the other classes. All of the other classes can be played lone wolf style and succeed to a certain extent but the volus and jugg only excel when paired with someone who has a clue.

In general, I feel like the "independence" the rest of the classes have is a big reason why the multi is so fun. When you are good at a class, you can pull a team through a lovely wave and even to extraction no matter what, and it just gets easier with good teammates. I like that Bioware added in the more team dedicated classes, but when we're used to wrecking shop despite stupid pubbies, the team dependance is a shock.

Also, phoenix vanguard with geth scanner is the best ever. gently caress PYROS ERRYDAY.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I wonder why the devs put so much emphasis on ammo capacity? I have only ever ran out with reegar or javelin, but it sounded like the ammo reserves for spitfire were supposed to make up for damage.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
The russian guy on BSN tested out flamer and incendiary ammo and the conclusion was that they do most of there damage in 6 DOT clicks after the fire has stopped being applied, so I'll usually just light guys on fire for a couple secs and then shoot them to death, it seems to work better than just keeping the fire on till they're dead.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Psion posted:

plug in a 360 controller :getin:

No native 360 controller support on ME3 PC. :bioware:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Truman Sticks posted:

At at least one point in every game that I used my Awakened Collector, my Dark Sphere power would fail to fire several times in a row. My character would wind up and the sound effect would play, but no sphere. The cooldown wouldn't start either, so I'd stand there rapidly pressing the Y button as a bunch of mooks charged at me, praying that the power would work.

Same has happened to me, I noticed it the most on London.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I like pubbie juggies bc at least they can't sprint into danger, only trundle. They are rather tolerable among all other terrible pubbies like the artillery adept et al.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Beautiful! The amount of mobility you get with cabal is amazing, and it's funny bc I always thought that havoc strike would be great if it let you charge anywhere like poison strike does.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
There are other decent smgs, but the hurricane does better damage then all of them. Also, the other smgs don't feel very different from the hurricane so there isn't much of a novelty factor. The ultra rare smgs do work a bit different from hurricane, so they can be fun.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I see this build sometimes and I don't really agree with it, you'd probably have better damage output and survivability if you put more points into your powers or passives. Just my .02

Putting points into powers is for scrubs, I just go 100% health and shields and glare dudes to death.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
For a Newbie to have a good time and be effective, I'd say to pick any sentinel, max out their toughness and everything else, leaving one power bare. Then tell your friend to turn on the armor at the beginning of the match and spam their power while shooting. They won't get the damage output of the better builds, but they'll be tough and do good damage despite low grade weapons. It'll also show how useful powers are, something that's not immediately apparent to everyone (me when I started).

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Edited my ARs in after the fact, but here's my inventory: http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/inventory/?name=Ansob&platform=pc

Mostly I don't understand how gunfire/powers breaking cloak works, as I've seen it work in a couple of different ways. On some characters/weapons it seems to break after a single shot (snipers and shotguns), on others after a few (anything automatic). Is that down to different cloak skills, or is it down to your gun being auto/semi-auto?

90% of dudes, the extra cloak damage is an effect that lasts 2.5 seconds after breaking cloak. Everything you do in those 2.5 seconds does extra damage. If you break cloak by using a power, you sit thru cloaks cooldown instead of the power's cooldown.

So, the best thing I've found to do with the ghost is to cloak, overload, then shoot a burst. At this point, find a new target/spawn, you won't have much in front of you.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I'm mostly on 360, so maybe the radius evo helps, but I love shockwave! It can't be dodged, goes thru walls, and flings red-bar dudes all over the place. If you can launch a dude a ways, physics damage will kill them and even if not they'll be a ways away. It's a super useful CC power, basically.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Note for players befuddled by sabotage: against organic enemies it will make them pause for a moment, then a second later they get zapped and take damage. I sabotage, shoot a bit, then the zap kills them. Sabotage won't show up in the kill feed though (bugged) so it doesn't appear to do anything.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
I think the problem with the AOE guns feeling bad, stryker and adas specifically, is that a bit of lag causes the shots to miss but not in an obvious way. Also, I just played a bunch on PC with shockwave, and not taking radius* made the power work much worse.

*radius is bugged on PC only

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Learning when to let someone die is a key part of extracting on higher difficulties. A good thing to do that will help is to solo a few bronze or silver waves with a very strong kit; then if you need to solo a wave you know how to do it.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Ligur, have you tried typhoon w/ fire ammo yet? It has a thing that makes the dot huge after a few secs of sustained fire, which is nice for long range typhoon b/c even if a dude moves and you miss the dot will often kill them

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop

Conquistador posted:

Why do I suck at the krogan adept

Shockwave is broke on Pc, the radius evo makes the power stop working and that evo goes a long way to making shockwave good. On console, warp + shockwave erry day.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Does anyone still set up those husk apocalypse games on PC? I feel like it'd be a treat to try with a warlord or fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
If every game that tried for me3 style (warframe, firefall) had a class where you ARE a rocket launcher, they might do better.

• Locked thread