Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Save up space monies for a PSP spree. End up being unable to control self, and justify starting to buy them after saving enough for two because "it'll help me grind money faster". Buy a PSP. Space monies deplete. No items show up. What the gently caress, says I. Buy another. Space monies deplete. No items show up. Holy poo poo.

Origin Live Chat help: "Yes, we see that you have purchased these two PSPs. You don't have any items?"

Me: "No dude."

Origin Live Chat help: "Oh yes, I can see that you don't have them :facepalm:. Just wait a while, they will come."

Me: "Dude, I've waited like two hours already."

Origin Live Chat help: "Yes yes, just be patient."

Me: "BITCH THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE INSTANT, DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT INSTANT MEANS?"

Origin Live Chat help: "No no, it's not supposed to be instant."

Me: "WHAT THE CHRIST IT WAS INSTANT YESTERDAY, THE DAY BEFORE, AND EVERY OTHER DAY AGHAHDGHASHDHADSGHASHDGHASFGHDSFHGDFDSGDG'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why wouldn't it be instant?

No clue. It finally came through about 30 minutes later. Aaand I got an N7 Paladin! I don't have any guns really worth using for him yet, but any ideas/links for a build?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Oh man, N7 Shadow is hilariously fun. Ninja stab dudes, run the gently caress away, never get caught, dodge errything.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Can't get a Talon or Piranha to save my life wtf.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Schubalts posted:

For Shadows, do you guys recommend movement speed and shield recovery or 50% sword damage after a kill for Sword Mastery?

I do Martial Artist (sword damage) for two reasons. 1: Shadow strike --> heavy melee owns. 2: When you don't want to trigger a cooldown, you can melee, then use shadow strike to immediately get the gently caress out of dodge. Example: Cloak, see a dude. Shadow Strike, wait for cooldown (not all the way, maybe half or so, not that it should be long), heavy melee, then (a)if there is attention on you, immediately shadow strike away to some trash cannibal/assault trooper with cover nearby; or (b) if there isn't attention on you, you can cloak immediately, and continue shadowstriking.

Your 40% or whatever damage reduction sort of mitigates the need for movement speed/shield recovery, especially since you are fast, so you can cartwheel away, sprint and then cartwheel into cover. By the time you're there, your cooldown on cloak should be complete again.

Also Shadow is the most hilarious class.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Pumpking posted:

Gear items are not consumed after a match. There is really no reason not to use them.

Ammo, Armor, and Weapon ones are consumed after each match though, right? Are those necessary for gold (I see plenty of posts and builds advocating using X rail amp, or whatever)? I don't seem to get enough of them in my crates to seem like it would justify using them. It hasn't been a problem yet, as I'm regularly clearing Silver using low-level weapons (silver and such are at around V, gold and N7 are mainly I through IV or so) and relatively low level (II-IV) gear mods, but I'm getting ready to move up to Gold soon I think and I'd want to know whether I need to start buying jumbo packs to stock up on ammos/amps if those are really necessary to do gold without dragging my team down. (My main/favorite character is a Shadow so it's probably not as necessary to have ammo and weapons).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
What do I need for the Piranha to be useful? I only have it at II, but it feels worthless compared to other weapons I have at that level.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I meant weapon mods. Shredder + Barrel? Smart Choke + Shredder? Is it one of those guns that just doesn't feel like it is badass until it's a higher level?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Sure about that? I thought it only transfers once. Also I don't remember if the transfer primes or not.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Oh man, coming back to this is so fun. Apparently there are new classes? I have all the N7 ones, but what's this about a Talon Merc, a Volus, and Collector adepts?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Same. I'm grinding out all the DLC characters that I haven't unlocked yet, Origin is SWATJester. I usually do Gold and can generally handle Platinum but I hate pubbie Plat games because they are so bad and inevitably die in the dumbest fashion on wave 9..

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Can someone explain to me Incendiary Reegar Cheese? I know it's good but it looks so dumb, I hate using it, so I've never really tried.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

tribbledirigible posted:

Congrats. I just got my Hurricane to X after it being at IX for so long as well. And for all the poo poo the Indra got before anyone got it to the higher levels, that thing is surprisingly light and murderous for caster classes. The huge magazine size also lends itself well for applying ammo powers.

I hate you. I have multiple ultra-rares and rares maxed out, but I STILL don't have a hurricane.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Am I the only person who loves the Disciple? It just feels so RIGHT.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Felinoid posted:

I used to love it for the stagger, but I've got high level Talon and Wraith, so I shifted most of my characters who used it over to one of them a while ago.

Yeah, I have a low level talon and a maxed out Wraith, but I still love my Disciple, especially for my Asari characters and casters (I also utterly despise "charge"-type guns like the Acolyte, so it's kind of my go-to caster gun.)

Plus, I can generally guarantee that in any game I go to, at least one player will be running some sort of heavy shotgunner build (either a cloaky damage buff, or a Krogan face-smashing type) and at least one player will be running a sniper rifle infiltrator, so with those two range bands covered, I feel a bit more freedom to play with sub-optimal stuff.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Just tried the Volus Engineer for the first time. Holy crap this thing is hilarious. Always be boostin', and then what the gently caress he can go invisible? And put up some kind of force field thing? And be a cute little Dr. Robotnik? This is the best class ever.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I went through 10 PSPs after getting the DLC without unlocking a single DLC item. I've since appeased the RNG gods, but I still don't have a ton of things that I really want (Hurricane, Valiant, Bow dude, Geth Jug), but I've got all sorts of customizations for the AIU and various Voluses and some maxed out Gold weapons.

I'd spend dolla dolla on some Bioware points if there were some way to either guarantee certain items with them, or even just bias the RNG towards things you want. Even if it was just by class -- SMG, sniper rifle, Soldier characters, etc. That'd make it somewhat worth it to me.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Still don't have a saber :(

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

lolasaurusrex posted:

Nice one man, thanks for the advice.

Per the advice of the guy above, I'm gonna change to a class that doesn't rely on guns until I've unlocked some better damage dealers. I have a ton of credits just sitting after my session this morning, so I'll spend them all ASAP and hope for something useful.

Once I've decided on a class, I'll play some bronze runs to level it up a little then add a bunch of goons.

In that case, you'll probably enjoy the Asari Adept. Keep your recharge rate at/near 200%, and spam biotic explosions on everything. Gear will eventually help but you'll be capable the moment you hit level 20 (earlier on silver/bronze) with literally nothing else.

Also the "max out basic guns/gear with veteran packs" strategy is helpful if you're just getting into things now. I ended up not doing it and went PSPs from the beginning, and as a result I've got a very schizophrenic manifest. Whenever you feel like you need a nice present for yourself, splurge on a PSP/Arsenal/Reserve pack.

tribbledirigible posted:

Play with goons as a level 1. They will drag you through kicking and screaming in Gold until you pop out as a level 20 in a few matches. It's pretty awesome going from a level 1 Human Engineer zapping lone mooks, then hiding to locking down spawns and making them explode in continuous fire.

This is the best part about ME3. You can level a class to 20 in just a single afternoon playsession. If you have goons to powerlevel you through gold/platinum matches, you can easily end up with several hundred thousand credits all of your classes up to level 20 over a weekend without even feeling grindy about it; and still have time to go out in the evenings.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Ligur posted:

Characters with Warp are great! Even if you land with a terrible team you should be fine. IMO it's the best, fast, works-against-almost-everything-power, and you can use it to explode poo poo idiot teammates trigger by accident or cheese it with some plentiful Incendiary Ammo (I always have tons of that stuff around for some reason?).

The times I play these days I often settle with TurSent, the generic overall efficient every map every enemy killer, the GethSol if I want to score tons or possibly the basic Human Adept or Asari Valkyrie to make things *KA-BOOM* just by myself. The Paladin is also very nice, but I tend to die too much without Cyclonic Modulators and poo poo. And the sole piece of equipment I really ever want to use is the Geth Scanner.

Also it's fun to run around with an Asari Valkyrie with Tech Armor, Annihilaton Field and Geth Scanner on, because your screen is mostly filled by special effects that glow and ripple and make odd rectangular shapes and you have to really concentrate to locate a space monster cranium for the Arc Pistol or Talon headshot.

Can you explain the Warp + incendiary ammo cheese?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Whoa just recently got Turian Sab, and Talon Merc, two classes that I really was wanting to play. And they're both amazingly fun thus far.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Suddenly I start getting all the drops that I really wanted - Saber (1,2, and 3 in a row), Asari Huntress, Turian Sab, Awakened Collector, Talon Merc, Quarian Marksman..... but not the one thing I've been wanting all along, a freaking Hurricane.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nebakenezzer posted:

I am, Neb6274

(I'm in N. America but I'm as close to London as I am to Ottawa so)

Oh. I was wondering why I kept on seeing "achievement unlocked" awards for Neb6274.

Anyway add SWATJester. I play very late US TZ, or during the day EU TZ.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

StashAugustine posted:

After ~130 hours I finally got the goddamn Harrier :woop:

Do people usually slap on expendables for Gold matches? I don't but I'm always at the bottom of the scoreboard unless I'm using something OP, but on the other hand I'm just bad. :v:

I usually do but I'm going to try not doing so for a while (maybe playing power oriented classes) because I'm running low on quite a few expendables (Drill/AP/Incendiary, weapon amps, cyclonics) and I'm not ready to switch from PSPs over to JEPs yet. Once I unlock a couple more of the things that I want (really at this point drawing down to just Geth Jugg, Hurricane SMG, and the weapon mod that boosts power damage), I'll go on a equipment pack rampage and blow a half million credits on them, and then I'll be set for a while longer.

I also don't care about being bottom of the scoreboard while I'm grinding things. It's not like it gets me hugely any more credits.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Sometimes tossing on a level I or II consumable, even if it's not perfectly aligned to support your build, can be nice. It's not like you were ever going to use those stabilization mods anyway, and things like adrenaline booster are useful (though perhaps not the "best in slot") for every character, and you'll rack up tons of them over time.

It's really up to your playstyle as to what you think you need, but my personal rule of thumb is to always bring relevant level III or IV consumables for plat, as the damage boosts become really important (+30% from ammo, +30% from weapon amp, +15% from equipment slot because I don't like using the Geth Scanner on most classes) and the health boosts can give you a vital break at times. I pretty much always bring consumables for Gold, but sometimes it's a level I or II, especially if I am with a semi-competent pubbie group or am getting a lot of disconnects and other server chicanery.

Arguably your ammo mod is the most important though. I'd never leave that slot empty, even on Silver.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Just do yourself a favor and don't promote ALL your classes at once. Just do one or two at a time.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure if it matters with the Javelin, but phasic rounds mean all shots against mooks kill regardless of where you hit them. Also, on X a Javelin with phasic rounds can wipe the shields off of (most) boss monsters in one shot.

Wait what? I thought it looked, from the tooltip, like it was useless?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

My Q-Face posted:

I have the Reegar I and it seems useless to me. It seems like I have to hold to charge it, like the Geth SMG or that Acolyte, but then just dumps all of the ammo in 2 seconds with no discernable "you're charging/you're shooting" gate like the SMG and pistol have (which then also fucks up my aim on fast moving targets). For me, the Avenger, Predator or Shuriken X are all better choices. So what am I doing wrong?

Think of the Reegar more like a beam gun from ghostbusters, but only short ranged. Or think of it like a flamethrower with a very narrow, tight cone of fire. That's basically how it works. It dumps through its magazine in seconds, and deals colossal damage in that time. It also interacts very sympathetically with incendiary ammo, as it apparently has some weird bug that does catastrophic amounts of damage with the incendiary ammo DOT applying and refreshing quickly/stacking. It's very good at applying ammo powers in general. Ultimately when you get to gold/plat and level up your Reegar a bit, it will become a staple while you probably will abandon the Avenger, Predator, and Shuriken as all three are outclassed by nearly every other gun in their category.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah I rocket every boss in a Kill 4, and some mooks too (if it doesn't look like I can kill them in more than a couple of seconds from where I'm at/where they spawn).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I've yet to see an IV level consumable. Ever.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I got a Geth Juggernaut.

:catdrugs:

Is this thing real? I had just promoted the Soldier class, so it was only like level 8. I still topscored easily on a 3 player Gold match while high out of my mind.

I can't even imagine how good this thing is properly specced out.

Too bad my PC died shortly thereafter :(

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Oh no, I know how good they can work, I just didn't REALLY know until I finally played one myself.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So geth turret is useless for the Jugg I guess? I've got a Reegar IX so I'm in pretty good shape there; unfortunately my PC died so I am stuck theorycrafting for a while.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

My Q-Face posted:

I always have a pause/stagger when using Melee with my Juggernaut, is there some way around that, because bosses seem to sit there wailing on me without being staggered until my Melee pauses, usually when they have just one or two bars of armor left, and tend to knock down my shields and health rapidly in the time it takes me to re-melee them.

Yeah, the heavy melee only lasts so long, which conveniently ends up usually right where you mentioned it (two bars of armor left). I tend to use that time to shoot; it works really well with the Reegar because you'll shoot all the ammo, start to reload, and when you trigger the next heavy melee it should work like a reload cancel and you'll be reloaded for the next one.

quote:

Also, had an interesting Plat run today. One guy had a Harrier, but it seemed to shoot missiles constantly and he never ran out. Like he ended up with six different groups of missile kills per wave, for all 11 waves. (And then an Abomination exploded in the LZ at :01 :argh: ) Gimmick equipment? Hack?

Sounds like a hacked game. Though I've never seen one where guns shoot missiles -- it seems more common just to make the guns instant kills.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nezzar posted:

People are absolute still playing this. I never have problems with finding a lobby in less than 2 minutes.

Something that worked for me that may not be obvious to new players on PC: If you don't get a lobby within 30-45 seconds, cancel out and launch the search again. Maybe it's just my internet being weird, but if I don't get anything in the first 30 seconds or so, it doesn't matter how long I wait, it won't connect. It's not that the games aren't there, it's just not connecting properly. By canceling out and relaunching, it may sometimes take 3 or 4 tries, but I'm guaranteed to get into a lobby.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm kinda curious as to what Krogan you did play. You are missing out - the Krogan are space dinosaurs that just crunch right through mooks. The Soldier and the Sentenal make excellent just ignore weight builds. The Vanguard is famous for being tough, and the Shaman is a melee monster with useful biotic skills. And the Warlord is just :black101:

(Replace that axe with a magic hammer but you get the drift.)

The Warlord and Shaman are interesting due to their gimmicks (:black101: or :science:), Sentinel is rad for its armor, KroGuard is I guess the epitome of the "heavy" style of vanguarding (as opposed to a high agility style with less staying power) but I don't get the point of the Soldier.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
IIRC Scorpion rounds will detonate after a few seconds (3-5? Can't remember), so they're not completely proximity mines.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I love the single-player and am doing another Insanity runthrough and I'll even second that the multi-player blows the SP out of the water. We're not joking that it's that good.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Rio is easy if your team isn't bad (and for some reason, it's 100% every time on Cerb. I can't remember the last time I played non-Cerb enemies on Rio). If you're good with communication, not sucking at your class, and generally helping out your team, you should have zero trouble with the first 6 waves, and relatively little with the last 4. Spawn control is pretty important on that map, to make sure you don't get ninja phantom/dragoon appearing from behind you (when sniping in the control tower). The box-maze at the far end of the map is decent enough for kiting enemies when soloing.

On the other hand, if people go down, it can be impossible to get to them in time depending on the layout, and if you have to leave your comfort zone (either the central control tower if that is secure, or the box-maze area) you're probably hosed. Definitely not a newbie friendly map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

El Mido posted:

Heavy melee decapitates, regular melee and shadow strike are a ticket to explosion town. (don't use the n7 shadow)

Never not use the N7 Shadow.

• Locked thread