Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

They're being pretty open about the fact that these first units are intended for developers to make their games Rift-compatible, not for consumers to actually play games. That comes later (and it's a refreshingly reasonable approach for Kickstarter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

cat doter posted:

I have a 120Hz TN panel (it's a benq though) and it's a fantastic screen. You're better off with a dell ultrasharp if you're after the absolute best image quality, but the 120Hz+ panels are by far the best gaming monitors you can get. Most of them have quite good sRGB profiles too.
I bought a VG236 (asus 23" 120hz screen) and the glasses have been used for all of half an hour. I bought this thing for 120hz gaming and despite paying a huge premium (brought it when it was the only 3D screen and could have got a dell for the same price) it really was worth every penny.

It might be a TN but the colour reproduction on the asus models is not too bad at all (I havent seen the 27" versions in person but every review site praises the colour in the same way they did the 23". I personally I think it looks a lot closer to a cheaper IPS than any other TN's I've seen). The benq's aren't as good but they are pretty cheap and can look reasonable with a bit of tweaking (put it in standard mode and tweak from there).

Put it this way - a mate of mine has a pricy dell that he regrets buying after seeing mine. Just be sure you have a PC that usually does better than 80fps at 1920x1080 in the games you play.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

duckfarts posted:

$300 for VR isn't the issue for me, it's the "only two games to play for $300" that's the issue. If they released a set of drivers like NVidia's 3D Play/iz3D/Tridef/etc, then I'd be ordering one already, but it's too early for that it seems.

Yeah, that's going to be many months out unfortunately. I suspect it COULD happen, at least in games with FOV support that are relatively easy to "hook" into the graphics pipeline. (It'd have to be games without anti-cheat, or they'd have to get Punkbuster and all the custom solutions to white list them.)

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Man, that looks like it would be soooo sweet to play on the RIFT. The idea of a custom cockpit that you can look around in while playing is cool as heck too. Waiting a year for the consumer version is going to be awful :(. I promised myself I will wait this time, though.

Edit: Seriously I keep looking at this kickstarter and almost buying.

I know how you're feeling man. I am trying to convince myself to buy a pair so that I can "totally convince the SpringRTS guys to add support and be the tester" among other crazy rationalizations. I'm just hoping and praying we could see a consumer version by next August or something, and that it won't be too much more expensive than the dev kit.

As far as Hawken: I think flight sims, racing sims, and stuff like that with cockpits are going to be TOTALLY HUGE on the Rift. FPS that are realistic enough to do head tracking are going to be really popular too. Can you imagine Day Z in the Rift? I think ARMA has head tracking support.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Even though the chances of me actually buying this are pretty small, I'm excited that there are more serious attempts at bringing 3d headsets consumer-side. I remember hitting up this old mall kiosk that had a 3d headset that could only play Doom 2. Despite the lovely graphics and the weight of the helmet, the motion-sensing headset and the accelerometer in the little control actually hosed with me. I had to be stopped several times from walking forward or backward and clotheslining myself.

Pile this on top of all the reports of motion sickness from Mirror's Edge, and I get kind of excited about the (probably far) future of gaming. One step closer to dystopian cyberpunk land!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

El_Matarife posted:

As far as Hawken: I think flight sims, racing sims, and stuff like that with cockpits are going to be TOTALLY HUGE on the Rift. FPS that are realistic enough to do head tracking are going to be really popular too. Can you imagine Day Z in the Rift? I think ARMA has head tracking support.
I saw the Hawken video, and it looks really cool, but wearing headsets does make you wish you could see your keyboard at times. I was thinking "gently caress yeah, stick Steel Battalion into a headset", but then you wouldn't be able to see the glorious controller you're using it with.

ARMA has head tracking through TrackIR or FreeTrack.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

duckfarts posted:

I saw the Hawken video, and it looks really cool, but wearing headsets does make you wish you could see your keyboard at times. I was thinking "gently caress yeah, stick Steel Battalion into a headset", but then you wouldn't be able to see the glorious controller you're using it with.
Easy, create an in-game virtual keyboard and invent finger tracking :downs:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Doom Goon posted:

Easy, create an in-game virtual keyboard and invent finger tracking :downs:
Maybe Novint can help with this.*
and provide lovely support while trying to create a Falcon Militia social shitpile

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Elentor posted:

I play with Anaglyph glasses occasionally. While it's not as good as any other method it's cheap and has been available for ages through the now-defunct iz3d driver.

Depending on the game, it can feel pretty much amazing. I'm curious about this Oculus Rift.

At the risk of derailing, I'd like to hear more about Anaglyph 3D gaming. I've got a hoard of Anaglyph glasses lying around JUST IN CASE so I'd love to get a list of what games support that.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Lizard Bastard posted:

At the risk of derailing, I'd like to hear more about Anaglyph 3D gaming. I've got a hoard of Anaglyph glasses lying around JUST IN CASE so I'd love to get a list of what games support that.

If you have nvidia, any game that supports 3D can be done in Anaglyph mode, don't know about AMD but I would assume the same.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VarXX posted:

If you have nvidia, any game that supports 3D can be done in Anaglyph mode, don't know about AMD but I would assume the same.

And how would I go about enabling that? I mean, it's not like all of my games have it nestled away in the options.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
It'll be in your Nvidia control panel as an option. I think under stereoscopic 3D options. Once you've enabled this you can use the shortcut you set up in the control panel to activate (CTRL+T is the default for 3D).

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/29/sony-quietly-drops-new-hmz-t2-personal-3d-viewer-at-ifa/

Looks like Sony's old T1s will be cleared out soon, hopefully at decent discounts. They had an open box one at my local Sony store that was at least $100 off the list price already. This should help.

duckfarts posted:

Yeah, this is why Carmack and Abrash are talking about using the Kinect or similar hardware. Worst case, just mount a camera on the headset itself and use it for augmented reality. Even something like PS Move or Razer Hydra controller would let you "poke around" in the cockpit for buttons and switches.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
With how uncomfortable the T1 is for me, it's easily one of the worst purchases I've made. Good thing the new has the same horrid design and is only 20% lighter (should be 60%), no risk of me getting excited for that one.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

El_Matarife posted:

Yeah, this is why Carmack and Abrash are talking about using the Kinect or similar hardware. Worst case, just mount a camera on the headset itself and use it for augmented reality. Even something like PS Move or Razer Hydra controller would let you "poke around" in the cockpit for buttons and switches.
Anyone who says this with a straight face has never tried playing Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor. Motion controls should not be used for any cockpit imaginary playland shenanigans.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

general chaos posted:

Anyone who says this with a straight face has never tried playing Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor.

Or watched Angry Joe's review of it:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/07/steel-battalion-ha-review/

Though Microsoft's new motion control system might be up to the task, what with it being able to track individual fingers to within 0.01mm.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Cockmaster posted:

Though Microsoft's new motion control system might be up to the task, what with it being able to track individual fingers to within 0.01mm.

One of those facing downward from the front of the Rift would probably work good, but I wanted to butt in and say it has nothing to do with Microsoft. (Which is probably for the better if the Rift people want to get a hold of it.)

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

general chaos posted:

Anyone who says this with a straight face has never tried playing Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor. Motion controls should not be used for any cockpit imaginary playland shenanigans.

I think the idea is that if you can see the controller virtually in the game and you can visualize your arms/hands and their relative positions, all rendered in-game, you can use the controller without being able to see it. That being said, the latency is too great on a Kinect for this to work well with the Rift.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Biggest human being Ever posted:

With how uncomfortable the T1 is for me, it's easily one of the worst purchases I've made. Good thing the new has the same horrid design and is only 20% lighter (should be 60%), no risk of me getting excited for that one.
Check this poo poo out:
  • Get a cloth belt, preferably one with a double-d ring "buckle"
  • Feed it through the gap under both of the white arms and above the headphone arms
  • Close the belt at the top
  • Now put on the headset as normal, then tighten and adjust the belt so that the weight of the headset is being supported by it rather than by the forehead pad
  • You should have 2 "loops" from the belt, and you can adjust them forward or back for fit and comfort
It's annoying that this has to be a thing, and frankly, more annoying that the headstrap on the device doesn't go around the back and bottom of your head quite like it should, but this should fix comfort issues to the point where you can wear it as long as you like without discomfort, and it's easy, cheap, and non-destructive.

Before I tried this, I would totally agree with you; having all the weight on my forehead would give me eyeaches after about 20 minutes, and I thought it was because of the displays. You'd think Sony would have tested for this and just made the forehead pads fuckin' huge and wide to distribute load better. After doing another thing to try to distribute weight(remove forehead pad, bunch up a towel to be a full forehead pad), the belt seems to be the best, easiest, and most comfortable option; I played 6-8 hours-ish of Dark Souls on the weekend without any pain or discomfort.

general chaos posted:

Pretty much this; you also loose a lot of the physical feedback to get that "thunk" of moving a lever. The "virtual keyboard" thing might be okay simply so I can find the loving F12 key for screenshots with the visor on, but I have a feeling that the processing involved might steal CPU from whatever game you'd be playing.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

It'll be in your Nvidia control panel as an option. I think under stereoscopic 3D options. Once you've enabled this you can use the shortcut you set up in the control panel to activate (CTRL+T is the default for 3D).
Is it free though? I only remember anaglyph being an option after starting a 30-day trial of NVidia's 3D TV Play drivers. Alternatively if that doesn't work, iz3d, even though they went down, still have the anaglyph portion of their drivers for free and you can still download them for now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It seems like 3D is more of a pain in the rear end than a pleasure at this point. I was planning on getting a new video card and slowly start decking my gaming space with 3D TVs and whatnot, but I wear glasses so wearing another pair of glasses above them is loving annoying and really hinders my pleasure when it comes to seeing stuff in a theater in 3D. I was hoping that a headset would alleviate that but that Sony one is too god drat expensive (and issues with weight don't help), and the Rift sounds cool but it's not out. What's the ETA on that?

Oh, and not digging the Rift only having a 640x800 per eye. Yeah, it's a development kit but drat it I want to try gaming with it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

duckfarts posted:

Check this poo poo out:
  • Get a cloth belt, preferably one with a double-d ring "buckle"
  • Feed it through the gap under both of the white arms and above the headphone arms
  • Close the belt at the top
  • Now put on the headset as normal, then tighten and adjust the belt so that the weight of the headset is being supported by it rather than by the forehead pad
  • You should have 2 "loops" from the belt, and you can adjust them forward or back for fit and comfort
It's annoying that this has to be a thing, and frankly, more annoying that the headstrap on the device doesn't go around the back and bottom of your head quite like it should, but this should fix comfort issues to the point where you can wear it as long as you like without discomfort, and it's easy, cheap, and non-destructive.

Or you can be a normal person and take it back to the store you bought it from and tell them it sucks and you want your money back.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Liku posted:

It seems like 3D is more of a pain in the rear end than a pleasure at this point. I was planning on getting a new video card and slowly start decking my gaming space with 3D TVs and whatnot, but I wear glasses so wearing another pair of glasses above them is loving annoying and really hinders my pleasure when it comes to seeing stuff in a theater in 3D. I was hoping that a headset would alleviate that but that Sony one is too god drat expensive (and issues with weight don't help), and the Rift sounds cool but it's not out. What's the ETA on that?

Oh, and not digging the Rift only having a 640x800 per eye. Yeah, it's a development kit but drat it I want to try gaming with it.
Good shutter glasses are a lot more comfortable than those lovely freebie polarized ones. My Samsung glasses have a little inset thing my prescription frames fits inside. It feels more like wearing one big pair of glasses than two pairs that are constantly sliding against each other.

Honestly I think the Rift will be an even bigger pain for glasses-havers. You'll have to buy prescription inserts for it, right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm near sighted, so Rift wouldn't be an issue for me. Just reading that Rift immerses a ton of your field of vision has me geeking right the gently caress out of my mind right now. I can't imagine how amazing games will be with it so I think I'm just going to wait until next year for the consumer edition of and pay whatever the gently caress they ask for it. If the end product is really nice, I have no reason to spend a ton more for a new TV and glasses just for 3D, I'd rather have a more immersive experience.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Or you can be a normal person and take it back to the store you bought it from and tell them it sucks and you want your money back.
Except for the fact that it does in fact have excellent color and picture, works with plenty of games through the Nvidia drivers painlessly, and has no comfort issues after using BeltModTM. That, and there aren't a whole lot of viable alternatives if you want a headset for stereo 3d(completely separate l/r). :sigh:

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/virtual-realitys-time-to-shine-hands-on-with-the-oculus-rift/ Ars Technica does a hands on with the Rift. I think it has the first controller box photos I've seen.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

dunc-uk posted:

I think it's a great idea but the low resolution worries me. I strongly suspect that this is going to be the launch resolution (why launch a dev kit if it's not?).

I doubt this. It is more likely that the cost and lead time of higher pixel density displays are too high when purchased in the quantities inherent in a developer kit.

My real hope for this is that it makes using computers into an active pursuit, like experiencing a holodeck simulation. Remember, there's no sex on the holodeck.

Giblet Plus! fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 14, 2012

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Stuff like the Rift is only interesting to me in a free-look (ArmA 2-style) way where the head moves independently from the torso. Running around and aiming with your head just seems odd and doesn't sound like it does that much for the VR feel.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If the game doesn't have separate aiming and looking movements I'm pretty sure they're just going to keep the mouse as the aiming device. Aiming with head movements would be retarded.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
With the extra weight of the unit on your head, fast head movements will probably just make people hurt their necks. It has to be possible to use a mouse/keyboard as well.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
For those who like to play their games in 3D TriDef is currently 50% off for AMD GPU users.

http://www.tridef.com/

I have found this program to be quite handy and the developers are always lending support to users on the forum.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
Im glad someone finally made this thread. I've been 3d gaming for years going all the way back to e-dimensional glasses.

It's a lot better now that most games are compatible through Nvidia. Got a 2233rz monitor with the 3d glasses for $250 a couple years back and love it in most every game.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Well this is lovely news: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/12/old-dog-old-tricks-ms-locks-directx-11-1-to-win-8/

Given the reaction to Windows 8 is REALLY mixed and a lot of people practically go into anaphylactic shock upon mentioning it, this is really going to slow the uptake of stereoscopic 3D. My hope was, over the next year anything that was AAA would ship with a DirectX 11.1 stereoscopic 3D instead of depending on nVidia or ATI. It'd hopefully have been easier or faster to code. Now, with DX11.1 only on Windows 8, I doubt we will see many at all until W8 hits 25% or more uptake.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

El_Matarife posted:

Given the reaction to Windows 8 is REALLY mixed and a lot of people practically go into anaphylactic shock upon mentioning it, this is really going to slow the uptake of stereoscopic 3D. My hope was, over the next year anything that was AAA would ship with a DirectX 11.1 stereoscopic 3D instead of depending on nVidia or ATI.

This doesn't affect Oculus Rift in the slightest. It's a single display stereoscopic device, not a dual display. The first of its kind in a long rear end time, I believe. It doesn't need any fancy support from DirectX, Nvidia or ATI. It's a pure software solution.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Obsurveyor posted:

This doesn't affect Oculus Rift in the slightest. It's a single display stereoscopic device, not a dual display. The first of its kind in a long rear end time, I believe. It doesn't need any fancy support from DirectX, Nvidia or ATI. It's a pure software solution.

Yeah, but if we want 3D monitors or TVs to take off, the DirectX route is the way to go.

Of course, it's possible the consumer version of the Rift is going to render them all obsolete.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Obsurveyor posted:

I thought the Rift had 2 screens?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Liku posted:

I thought the Rift had 2 screens?
Nope; one screen, each half dedicated to each eye.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

duckfarts posted:

Nope; one screen, each half dedicated to each eye.

It's really quite brilliant if you ask me. You can support it with just about anything that has an HDMI out and 3D shader support.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

New update today. Release date for developer kits has been pushed back to March 2013. However, because of sourcing problems, they have to use a 7" 1280x800 panel that is better in almost every way at the expense of being heavier:

Update #13 on Kickstarter posted:

Ultimately, we selected a modern, 1280x800 7’’ display for the developer kit. The bright side is that the new display beats the old display in almost every key area including response time, switching time, contrast, and color quality. The improved switching time of the panel actually alleviates most of the motion blur people saw in earlier prototype demos. The downside to our new 7’’ is the weight differential: approximately 30g more than the 5.6’’.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001
A better motion sensor too. I'm stoked to get my hands on this thing but I'm more than happy to wait a few extra months for improvements like these. I never really expected it to ship in December anyway.

Also, is there a camera on the front of it now? It certainly looks like it in the latest prototype pictures:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

jack. posted:

Also, is there a camera on the front of it now? It certainly looks like it in the latest prototype pictures:

I didn't notice that but yeah, it certainly looks like one. That might be one of the things hinted at in:

quote:

Plans for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift are already underway. Due to time constraints for the developer kit, we had to push several exciting features to the consumer version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's a PiP view of the outside world? My god...you'd never have to leave. Never! neverrrrrr

• Locked thread