Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What kind of car is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000
Lancia Stratos

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

A student posted:

What kind of car is this?

Lancia Stratos, I believe.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, it's probably a Hawk replica

Here's a friend's car:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Filthy Luker posted:

I would if I could. Spotted this bad boy S63 AMG in Yorkville (Toronto) today. I was going to post this in the "Terrible" thread, but the more I think about it, the more "Awesome" it is.

God that car is such a gently caress You I got mine. I love it.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Gatts posted:

http://www.costco.com/VRX-iMotion-Custom-Racing-Simulator.product.100016149.html

I'd like to think this is related to AI Car poo poo. This thing costs as much as a new car, like a loaded Camry XLE in 2009 of about $35,000. But I guess if you really wanted a racing simulator, there you go.

This will make that obsolete:
http://www.oculusvr.com/

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Washington got some bad larry's watch out

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

trouser chili posted:

So funny thing, the bullnose sounds just like that, except in order to pass tech the car MUST be under a certain decibel. So the builder has two exhausts on it. One that empties through a supertrap and another that's open. The supertrap raises back-pressure and EGT, so he's only using it in transit and service. On stage it's open and sounds glorious.

I was there! I crewed for a friend on Friday but didn't stick around for Saturday.

I was wondering about the exhaust on the Saab. At the parc expose on Friday it sounded like he was switching back and forth at idle.

I love how bigshots like Ken Block, a couple guys with a 2 stroke Saab, and some guy I know are all running in the same event.

User Error fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2013

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I love photos and art of old muscle cars like that. I'd fill my house with posters of drive-ins and gas stations full of cars if I could.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Coronet XX posted:

I love photos and art of old muscle cars like that. I'd fill my house with posters of drive-ins and gas stations full of cars if I could.

There's just something about any old photos of cars with old cameras that makes me love them, just that old type of film (i don't know poo poo about cameras) and the way it looks.

[click for big]

loving so pretty

edit: gonna just add a bunch of cool old F1 pictures I have to this post, sorry for any reposts I'm sure some of them are already in here

Click for big

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 24, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

This will make that obsolete:
http://www.oculusvr.com/

A) that technology has been around for over a decade, though I'm sure the resolution of those is an order of magnitude better

B) they don't come with a gorilla to push you around in sync with the motion on what you're watching.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Linedance posted:

A) that technology has been around for over a decade, though I'm sure the resolution of those is an order of magnitude better

B) they don't come with a gorilla to push you around in sync with the motion on what you're watching.

The thing about the oculus rift isn't resolution but latency. Of course the resolution on the rift is better than the stuff 10 years ago but the big thing about them is that you move your view in game by moving your head and you don't feel like the game is lagging behind. They are pretty much trying to overtake your brain and predict your movements. This is barely possible with affordable technology today so the rift is a whole different beast than those old VR goggles.
And you can probably still afford a gorilla or at least a small monkey from the savings after buying a rift!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

This has to be peak AI.jpg

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This has to be peak AI.jpg

Nah.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

20B powered 1500lb Lotus Europa
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/rotary-buzz-re-amemiya-20b-europa/

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

gently caress yeah

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

So this is Nelson Piquet in his Benneton, right? I can understand the sparks coming out of the bottom, but what's the go with the rest of them?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Danger to the intake manifold if my memory serves right. Paul walker is racing a diesel powered charger. It was a p cool flick

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just gonna quote this here.

I might be nuts but I think both are pretty cool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

yyyyyy posted:

There's just something about any old photos of cars with old cameras that makes me love them, just that old type of film (i don't know poo poo about cameras) and the way it looks.

[click for big]

loving so pretty

To contribute some camera :spergin: stuff

The top photo looks like it was shot on either Fuji Velvia or Kodak Kodachrome, or a similar slide film. Velvia is still available, though you can't just drop it off at Walgreens/CVS (it needs to be sent off to someone who knows how to work with it). Kodachrome was phased out from 2002-2009, and the last roll was processed in mid-2010; Kodak no longer manufactures the chemicals necessary to develop Kodachrome. :smith:

I've shot using both Velvia and Kodachrome, they both give some :swoon: results.

I've been giving serious thought to picking up a few rolls of Velvia and digging out my old film SLR - it's been about 11 years since I shot any film. :allears:

The second photo looks more like a (really, really loving) lucky shot on run of the mill daylight film, probably ISO 200 guessing by the grain. Just guessing though; I'm sure leica can contribute more.

kastein posted:

I might be nuts but I think both are pretty cool.

I.. actually agree.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 25, 2013

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Memento1979 posted:

So this is Nelson Piquet in his Benneton, right? I can understand the sparks coming out of the bottom, but what's the go with the rest of them?

I believe he was getting a shower from the guy in front of him.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

To contribute some camera :spergin: stuff

The top photo looks like it was shot on either Fuji Velvia or Kodak Kodachrome, or a similar slide film. Velvia is still available, though you can't just drop it off at Walgreens/CVS (it needs to be sent off to someone who knows how to work with it). Kodachrome was phased out from 2002-2009, and the last roll was processed in mid-2010; Kodak no longer manufactures the chemicals necessary to develop Kodachrome. :smith:

I've shot using both Velvia and Kodachrome, they both give some :swoon: results.

I've been giving serious thought to picking up a few rolls of Velvia and digging out my old film SLR - it's been about 11 years since I shot any film. :allears:

The second photo looks more like a (really, really loving) lucky shot on run of the mill daylight film, probably ISO 200 guessing by the grain. Just guessing though; I'm sure leica can contribute more.

I.. actually agree.

AlienSkin has very good photoshop effects to mimic Velvia. The Kodachrome one is a bit overdone IMO though.
http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/exposure_examples.aspx

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Why do most of these pictures appear to be a toy car?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

User Error posted:

I was there! I crewed for a friend on Friday but didn't stick around for Saturday.

I was wondering about the exhaust on the Saab. At the parc expose on Friday it sounded like he was switching back and forth at idle.

Ha, you took my picture. I'm the furthest to the right against the white Toyota there.

He might have been switching it and fooling with it to get it to work better, it didn't sound to me that the switchoff was working 100%, at least not when on the supertrap that is. I talked with the drivers a bit and got the impression the entire car is (not surprisingly) rather fiddly. What job did you do as crew?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, I think it's time for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ieRNmgxiA

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

veedubfreak posted:

Why do most of these pictures appear to be a toy car?

Depth of field photography trick

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

The late 70's/early 80's Pro Stock street machine look is so loving :fap:

Viking Blood
Jun 17, 2005

The hammer of the Gods will drive our riffs to new lands
^^So if fashion comes in cycles, when do we get loincloths again?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Yes, those are made of paper.

http://www.theinspiration.com/2013/02/paper-pagani-zondas/

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Playing paintball using 2 Audi RS4 Avants, that's pretty AI and supremely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhif43pLJ0

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

GramCracker posted:

Playing paintball using 2 Audi RS4 Avants, that's pretty AI and supremely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhif43pLJ0

Whoa these are awesome.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Cell shot, but my friend delivers cars for a living and this is his current delivery: 4wd VW Camper van. Apparently there are only 1500 here, according to the owner. I am in love with it :allears:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 27, 2013

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Cell shot, but my friend delivers cars for a living and this is his current delivery: 4wd VW Camper van. Apparently there are only 1500 here, according to the owner. I am in love with it :allears:

God drat it I loving love Synchros.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

A dude here is building a Syncro with an EJ257 swapped into it. He's got some pretty awesome fabrication chops.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
They need to replace these:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Watch-the-worlds-largest-T-shirt-cannon-take-aim-at-Sixers-fans.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/27/marijuana-cannon-us-border-seized-mexico

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Ha, you took my picture. I'm the furthest to the right against the white Toyota there.

He might have been switching it and fooling with it to get it to work better, it didn't sound to me that the switchoff was working 100%, at least not when on the supertrap that is. I talked with the drivers a bit and got the impression the entire car is (not surprisingly) rather fiddly. What job did you do as crew?

:pervert:

I put some slime in a tire Friday morning then installed lights and checked fluids and tire pressures Friday afternoon. I spent 80% of the time either driving between Steelville, Potosi and Salem or standing in the cold. Racing!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Zeether fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 28, 2013

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

User Error posted:

:pervert:

I put some slime in a tire Friday morning then installed lights and checked fluids and tire pressures Friday afternoon. I spent 80% of the time either driving between Steelville, Potosi and Salem or standing in the cold. Racing!

Yeah, the majority of my time was spent standing in service areas, being cold, and redirecting idiot spectators whom have just driven around my no-entry sign back out of the service area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:black101: