Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The H2 gets worse mileage than the H1.

Edit: typed it backwards, whoops.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You've got to be hitting limits based on the pure tensile strength of metals at that scale, right?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know what would win in a race to destroy a 30-year-old Italian car: rust, or a full-fledged electrical fire. I honestly don't.

It's nice to see one kept up, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I love it when an expensive car is actually used. Suck it, garage-queen Corvettes with 200 miles on them. This motherfucker just took an Enzo out in the mud and did donuts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everyone has to do a trip like that once. I took my 2009 Royal Enfield from Lewiston, ID to Las Vegas, NV. Never again, but I'm glad I did it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think you have to stay 500 feet away from schools, but otherwise you're good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo it's getting a bit Reddit in here

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lambos are supposed to be loving insane. Therefore, this one is the best Lamborghini since the Countach.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's pretty old and slow.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Stop using photobucket.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo, you know what I meant. Hotlinking from Flickr doesn't work well. Stop doing it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When I search for it I find links on broken Russian blogs. Figures.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AWD STi Neon? What is this madness, and where can I see it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bitch, LEGO Bugatti Veyron is best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHWDSnWk2jU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Japan

happened

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cenodoxus posted:

:iia:
So, how much did you offer them for it?

About tree fiddy...

thousand.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

That was Button "A" on the Mach 5.

In the lovely film version. The cartoon had rocket thrusters. :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gorilla glass is glass submersed in molten potassium salts. The lighter sodium ions exchange out for heavier/bigger potassium ions. When the glass cools and contracts, this "presses" the surface together, making it tough. Think of it like stretching a nylon net open and then placing it on a bed of grass, then contracting it. The grass gets "stuck" in the holes, making the net (comparatively) tougher. This compression in (usually just) the surface of the glass compared to the comparative lack of compression more atoms deeper is also why gorilla glass (or any toughened glass, really) fails so spectacularly when it eventually does. It's under constant compressive tension.

Sapphire is still better, though. It is about eight times harder than normal borosilicate glass, and four times harder than quartz glass.

Before I threw my life away and joined the NG I was an optician, and glass and plastics continue to be a hobby.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 26, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy crap that's an ACVW engine. That's awesome.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Jeeze I didn't think any business vehicle insurance would insure a van like that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wanna run on dat dirt track first.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, but I think a round on a super-technical dirt track would be fun to do once. You either slow down or total the car.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Is there some indication on each wheel on setting the torque of the center-locking nut? What is marking on the center lock that says "100 N-m ------ Stop" and how is it used?

You torque it to 100N-m, then mark the position of the arrow. Then you tighten it up to the stop point.

It's similar to head bolts, where you do like 25ft-lbs, then 1/2 turn more.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

Or I could get a Royal Enfield, and be honor-bound to wear the ancient helmet while doing the half-ton.

Just wanted to point out that this is much more achievable.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Masei 911

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A guy in Idaho found that original trailer. They only ever made two.

https://youtu.be/SpwH9WeVEfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU
Unfortunately he sold it to a Utah VW shop and it's just languished untouched for a few years :(

Also that trailer had better have electric brakes.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 16, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Trick question, the beetle has such poo poo suspension and tires all four wheels lose adhesion the instant you touch the middle pedal.

That's why they stuck with drums for so long. Why have anti-lock when you can have anti-stop?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My dad and I did an F-14.

After weeks or months of work, my cousins came over and we threw it off the deck to see if it would fly

:(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrYenko posted:

The car in the video is a replica. Still a shame to see a car that nice get banged up, but it's not one of the original two HUG cars.

I thought the old guy said he'd been racing that car for 50 years?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If they baja'd miss daisy, :circlefap:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

scuz posted:

Hellcat. Powered. Beetle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Except when DED does it, they get a pass.

Using dually hubs as spacers? Wonderful.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which car carpet are we talking about?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy optical illusion Batman. Are the wheels level? My brain says no, my eyes say yes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Stubby Bob vs Miss Daisy GO

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Falken posted:

They also left the engines to the elements and supposedly urinated on them.

I think the urinating part is apocryphal, but there's a reason they used high-mileage blocks exposed to the elements.

They wanted the best-of-the-best. High mileage blocks that went through surface attacks in the weather and survived daily driver status without cracking or having uneven corrosion patterns were proven good castings. No voids, or shearing along the crystal grain structure. Hopefully by 400k km, the blocks that have failed already would have.

"Hey, BMW Motorrad. We want the best racing team, and the best engine. You can have all the machinery and parts you want."

"Can we open a dedicated factory line for the engine?"

"Anything you want except production floorspace."

"Okay."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 16, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

this is actually a myth :ssh:

Each winner gets a trophy progressively re-proportioned and shifted slightly off-center to optimize aerodynamics.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I maintain that this is car poo poo :colbert:

A $200 3D printer (Wanhao i3), maybe $100 in filament (WYZ brand ABS is what I'd recommend - you just need the different colors and will end up with extra), and maybe $40-50 in bearings/fasteners. Worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibIXaNXtqQ

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Same guy, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

You know, I kinda want to do one of the heads and find out how it flows. Toooootally not an abuse of the flowbench at work, nope.

Can you flow test a 35% scale head? Because I have some extra filament and a printer. What temperature does your flowbench get to? ABS starts softening at around 200C.