Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Didn't they have some of those on Top Gear and they were like $50,000-$70,000? Or am I thinking of the old Jaguars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e12_1352745541

Souped up tractor tearing it up, I wonder how terrifying fun it is to drive.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wow, I've never seen something like that... I thought that was an original idea...

v:shobon:v

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Not sure if this has been posted before and I doubt it's even real but who cares

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

While I was in South Carolina I was super excited that gas was $2.97 for regular, $3.30 for premium. Then when I got home and gas was $3.77 for regular and $4.00 for premium I was rather depressed. :911:

Oh and I noticed that there were WAY more donks driving around down there than there are up here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I love the white on white

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Thats seriously not a huge amount less than the AU$ price of a 200 series- Its kinda surprising considering how much of a massive markup aussie cars generally have on em.

I would assume that the price is evened out from having to switch the steering column and dash as well as change out the headlamps and whatever else they do to switch from RHD to LHD V:shobon:V That is strange though, first thing I noticed when I came here from Australia was that cars were stupid cheap (comparatively)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was digging around in some boxes of old books and ran across some classic Chevrolet/Chevelle/Chevy II/Corvette repair manuals, copyrighted 1965. Oh and some Mechanix Illustrated from late 1978-1979.

These two are kind of related to cars (or as related as car books can be, anyways).I'm not sure why they're in my barn, but oh well :v:

1966 US Air Force research papers with a note dated in February of 1967, kinda cryptic. I was rather surprised when I saw the date since the paper is in such good condition.

1908 Edition of Kent's Mechanical Engineer's Pocket-book. Apparently Mechanical Engineers had huge pockets back then.

1943 Machinery's Handbook. Had a receipt for a tool loan from 1953 in it, sometimes it's cool to find these kind of things.

I found a bunch of passenger car, light duty truck, and basic GM service and repair manuals from the 70's and 80's too, but those are rather boring compared to those cool finds. Hopefully this isn't considered off topic, but I thought you guys might appreciate them.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 30, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Black88GTA posted:

Well, that mystery seems to be solved, thanks for clearing that up. The world needs more Logan's Run cars in it, although I don't think I'd want to be around if anything bigger than a Focus ran into it. :ohdear: Still pretty awesome IMO.

Finding this kind of stuff is cool. But who rents a plastic hammer?

I assumed it's from the shop he worked at, you probably had to check tools in and out so they didn't end up out the door with you.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MetaJew posted:

If this is the Atom that's owned by the exotic rental company in South Austin, I've driven it. It's got some 2-litre Honda engine with a supercharger and was by far the fastest thing I've ever driven. Of course, you are also completely invisible to other cars, only have tiny motorcycle mirrors, and no suspension travel. It was a lot of fun, but a complete and utter ripoff-- and definitely not usable on public roads.

That being said, I want it.

I believe that in America they used the supercharged LSJ used in the Cobalt SS and Ion Redlines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Atom#United_States_licensing

I've always wanted to drive one of those things, but yeah, they're extremely rare.

edit: woops missed this part

quote:

A limited run of approximately 10 US built Atom 2 cars, manufactured in 2006-2007, were powered by imported Honda K20As.

In January 2008,...TMI started production by building Honda-powered Atom 3 cars.
I'm an idiot, still really cool stuff though.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 3, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

This looks like some kind of WWII era 37mm anti-tank gun. The closest thing I can find is the M3 37mm gun, but the shield and the barrel end aren't quite right, but it could still be a variant of the M3.

edit: could also be a Flak 30/38 (2cm) in which case that's a German gun.
It looks like the 37mm variant M3 to me:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/imageviewer/ar/pic-detail.asp?armor_id=329&sCurrentPic=pic1

Next best guess is the QF 25-pounder
http://www.militaryfactory.com/imageviewer/ar/pic-detail.asp?armor_id=197&sCurrentPic=pic1

No idea about the Flak, could be though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

It was a Fiat 126, it appears to have had a run in with a European Ultimateforce.

I would be willing to bet that this Euro UF goes by KonechnayaSila (конечнаясила) or FinaleForza and drinks lots of Bella Lula.

He can't be too similiar though because that project actually looks done.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

He is really good at dropping knowledge that's already been dropped, I think he's done it in a few other threads too.

In before "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone" response.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Q_res posted:

It's an Aveo, you drive it until it blows up.

As a former Aveo owner I can confirm this to be the best way to do things.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I love how calm the Russian drivers are. I wish I knew what they are saying.

They're mostly swearing, calling the other driver a name (primarily a bitch or jackal), oh just saying things like AH AH AH OH GOD OH GOD

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

davebo posted:

But they're already water-cooled. What more can we do to them but light up the insides with led's?

The future is here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My friend is a huge Audi fanatic and has one of these, if I remember right he picked it up for less than $3,000 and has put $5,000 worth of work into it.

A quick CL search yielded this; not exactly what's in that video but I believe it's all the same stuff in a wagon
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3431954993.html

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

GTi_guy posted:

I think we have to wait until the end of the year for the R-34 GT-R's. other than that I think you're right.

If I had the garage space, I'd wait for a V-spec Nur and drive the piss out of it.

They're still running for at least $20,000 in Japan at the moment, shipping it to Canada will be another $1,000-$2,500, and driving it from British Columbia to where ever you are will be more too.

It'll be way cheaper than waiting for someone to do it for you, that's for sure. Free trip to Japan too!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Buy it buy it buy it BUY IT BUY IT

WHY HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT IT YET?!

Because I just bought a $4,000 rock :smith:

I should return that and tell the girlfriend to chill for a lil' bit while I putt around in the garage :downs: I could even get rid of the IRL for it!!

Edit: Audibro says that it's been on CL for four years, I have no idea why, so one of you goons get up here and buy it BEFORE IT GOES SOMEWHERE

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 14, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Meme posted:

You know they can make diamonds now? Saves you a little bit of money.

Yeah I did, and they're actually a crapload cheaper. She, on the other hand, wants a naturally made diamond since it's soooo romantic to have something that's been waiting since the beginning of time to be on her finger :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Hey, at least she's not like my friend's cousin, who told us all at dinner once, in no uncertain terms, that if her would-be-fiancé didn't get her a diamond worth at least three months' salary she would leave him on the spot. That would be around twenty thousand dollars for the poor guy (not in attendance that night) she was dating at the time. Because anything less than that would show that he didn't respect her, you see.

(Unless $4k IS three months' salary for you, in which case, I truly admire your commitment to this girl)

Nah, to be honest she'd be hunky dory with a third of a carat that cost $400 if it was all that I could afford. The way that I see it is, this ring will hopefully last for the rest of our lives. If I'm more than willing to pay $10,000 for a DD that I will get maybe 10-15 years out of, how much should I spend to show the girl of my dreams that I'll love her forever and not have that lil speck of a diamond from "when we were poor kids with no money"?

She doesn't even know I have that much money, I've been squirreling it away at another bank, so for all she knows I have $2,000 in savings right now and no plans to get engaged any time soon. She's gonna be really, really surprised :)

edit: I find myself liking Challengers more and more, even though they're fat pigs and made by Chrysler.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

EightBit posted:

Wrong thread and all, but none of that really screams long-term success in that relationship.

It's the Cliffnotes version, we've been together for three years and we knew we wanted to get next year, but she's expecting a ring next Christmas or near there; I decided to surprise her. And yeah wrong thread, my bad. I had a picture of a cat sitting in a massive muffler pipe but I lost the link.

Also, I am extremely jealous of that white GT-R; it's beautiful :swoon:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

kylej posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. He's a 20 year old guy who lives with his parents and spends thousands of dollars in mods on a salvage Saturn that was rolled, while simultaneously hiding money in a separate account from his girlfriend so that she won't know he's going to spend money on a diamond for her even though she has an exact timeline for when she expects to receive the ring -- sounds like a match made in heaven. Til death do they part.

:ssh: I don't know if you read my entire thread or not but I'm guessing you didn't since you never saw the part where I've only put $700 into it since I bought it and never was actually going to put any money into it :ssh:. Also I'm almost 22 thank you very much! :colbert:

Devyl posted:

Considering previous generations of the Corvette? Yes. Guess I should've seen it coming though with the ZR1 and the ZL1 & 1LE Camaro.

GM has really stepped up their game, especially with all the European and Japanese sports cars that it's competing with on top of the American Pony cars. I wish that they'd do more with the sport compact lines, though I do think the new Buick Regal RS is incredibly good looking :allears:. I'd really love to see an AWD Rallysport come out of the American car companies, GM especially. Ford has the Focus that it can play with, and it looks like they've made an AWD Fusion that looks like a baby Jaguar/Aston Martin/Evo X mashup.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I don't believe you can get the AWD Fusion with a manual transmission. At least not yet.

This is correct :smith:. Also, it starts at $30,000 for the Titanium (top-tier trim), so unless they go all GM and cheap out on the interior, a Fusion with better performance specs may be way more expensive than even, say, an STi or an Evo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Devyl posted:

Glad you like it, because the 2015 Mustang will be taking some serious styling cues from it. I have a feeling when it finally gets revealed, it'll be in the same three threads as the C7 Corvette.

I'd like to credit the GT-R 35 for that; as it dominated everything put against it for the first year or two it was out. Rally racing isn't too popular on the American side... Yet. Red Bull and Monster are in the process of changing that though, with people like Travis Pastrana & Ken Block making huge splashes with all the kids now.

I never really thought of that till you mentioned it; I've always considered the GT-R R35 as a supercar only slightly more obtainable than a Lambo or an Aston Martin. Isn't the cheapest model like $90,000? I'm glad Red Bull and Monster are getting more people into it, I've noticed that alot of my friends that I grew up surfing(in Australia), skateboarding, and longboarding with have moved from extreme sports to things like drift-events and Rallysport events. At least Petrolheads are getting to be better thought of than just rednecks who want to go fast, though here in Detroit, where a huge amount of people have some sort of hot rod or classic car, it's more common to be a Petrolhead then when I was in Australia.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That BMW is sexy though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hog Obituary posted:

This sounds like a positive feedback loop that spins out of control. Hopefully you have parents or children or relatives who are able to intervene before you're up to your ears in broken italian machinery and also debt.
While this is good advice, this is also not AI whatsoever :colbert:.

If you can afford fine Italian machinery AND have the wife's blessing, go for it! And if something bad happens in the future, blame her! How can this go wrong?!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of Hennessy and SRT8 Jeeps: A 1230hp Grand Cherokee that wasn't built by him.

http://www.fearless904.com/brick/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Upon watching the video of it, I can say with certainty that I WANT a Jeep.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PERKULE
This is also from a site like The Onion but still pretty funny.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Woah, it's really not nice to call yourself something like that because there's nothing wrong with being that and it shouldn't be insulting.

for content and to end the derail:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

Which is the last car (by any manufacturer) to have pop-up headlights?

They became illegal after like 2001 or whatever the last year of the Pontiac Firebird was iirc.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Krakkles posted:

C5 Vette was produced through 2004.

Edit: Yep, Esprit and Vette: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_headlamps

Edit2: Also, I never realized they were used to circumvent headlight height restrictions. That's interesting.

Ah, I was under the impression that they were illegal, but according to Wikipedia they're only more expensive... Which means we may see them again :swoon:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

He reminds me of all the kids I tried to avoid in highschool.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I dig the build, a lot. It's well thought out (performance-wise, anyways) and for being a rusty turd it's pretty cool, but it looks like it's terrifying to drive thanks to that steering, and the whole "my car trolled your car in real life" attitude he has probably nets him way more tickets than he'd like to admit.

Honestly though if I wanted to "troll" people as I drove by them I'd rather drive slow in a Prius covered in eco-stickers and make faces at SUV's and pickups.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

tbb9 posted:

Everyone got angry, looks like the kid wins

I'm not angry by his car, and I'm not even angry that the kid spends all his time on the internet or in his garage; he just seems like a kid who is trying too hard to get attention and gets to pay a ridiculous insurance rate because of it. And justifies emissions inspections. :tinfoil:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I've never seen one in person, but walking around Tampa, FL yesterday I happened to spot this. I have to say it was a religious experience. I knocked on the door, but the owner wasn't home. Oh well.

There are one of these that lives down the street from me, I think it had a for-sale sign on it last month but I don't remember.

:fap:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I assume you would have to build a tube frame to support the RWD, yeah? That by itself is not cheap :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

You dont know much about back yard builds, right? Yes, it can be very cheap, all it takes is some pipe and a welder and your time.

Nope, not at all :shobon:. I was told by the LSJ community that it's expensive as gently caress to do RWD conversions on FWD cars since they're not engineered to support the power/torque on the rear of the frame. This made sense to my ignorant mind so I never really looked much more into it :shrug: