Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

oxbrain posted:

Over complex, worth it.

As a professional mechanic I can only say that this should be mandatory everywhere, and should have a bracket for holding a toughbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Every Prius I have ever had the pleasure of servicing always smells like absolute poo poo inside. 100 percent of the time no exceptions. Im just making an observation here.

Same here. Also the center console lid is broken on ALL 20 series. All of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cage posted:

Click for bigger.

My erection upon seeing this is mirroring the torque curve.

Ever higher.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

I drove by a Gallardo a couple of days ago that was so scared of the curb when parking that he was covering about a third of the traffic lane instead... Surely that has a higher likelyhood of someone clipping you and doing more damage than the curb ever could. :psyduck:

I know it's a wide car but the parking spot was more than large enough for it.

He's referring to the building marked 'bond street' I think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As a masochistic m30 lover, the first generation oil filter housing sickens me. It's good to know that even the factory BMW mechanics couldn't get the thing to hang anything other than vertically on the crane though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Krakkles posted:

You realize it's hanging from a leveler, right?

I'm meaning the engine sits tilted drastically toward the right when it's in the car. In the picture it's clear that it's hanging with the block perfectly vertical, like a nissan I6 or what have you. When you have this situation and you're trying to make the mounts etc line up it is a HUGE oval office to install, makes me think the picture is staged.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe the e9 is different, but every m30 car I've put an engine into was pretty tricky because the rubber mount feet (on the chassis) point diagonally toward the top of the engine and have studs sticking out. Usually the easiest method is to suspend the engine in the bay and bolt on the mounts (on the engine) afterward. The engine isn't balanced side to side like a v8, it is much heavier on the right hand side (I imagine this is exacerbated by not having the big clunky manifold of a road car) so tilting it can be a bitch as the lift points aren't at the center of gravity.

I'll shut up now anyway.

edit: as a side note, the hanger attached to the water pump and chain cover has a tendency to bend one of it's bolts and crack the timing chain cover. It is not a very rugged design and I suspect the motorsport version would have something more robust.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I'm pretty sure that would end it for me.

"So you judge my value by crystallized carbon that I present you, otherwise my love might not be unconditional? HAHAHA! :byewhore:"

But it might be a different situation for you.

To contribute:

If only they had put it in the R8 like they said they might, then I would still never be able to afford it :(

The reason this never made it into a production R8 was because the prototype had to have the firewall pushed forward substantially due to the physical mass of the motor, and had radiators coming out everywhere. It took so much cooling the car gained 200-odd kilos and wasn't particularly faster than the v8. I have a mag where they test-drive the only prototype that I might be able to track down later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never really liked koenigseggs as cars overall but the tech is really quite remarkable, and they seem to go out of their way to design elegant engineered solutions to problems rather than throwing electronics at everything. I'm surprised the suspension arms are steel rods rather than alloy castings though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

That BMW is sexy though.

It looks like a cartoon, how would that even drive? On anything other than a mathematically perfect flat plane I mean.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When I look at that car, SAFETY FIRST is exactly what comes to mind!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Giblet Plus! posted:

Yes and it looks like it works just great so there's no need to obsess over it. Do you obsess over single sheer ever time you step outside and see a tree?

I don't really understand what's going on here, can someone explain single shear anything to me?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How would you spread the force out to several bolts? Doesn't it ultimately have to pivot on some sort of shaft+bearing anyway? I don't see the big deal really, if you just make the bolt/shaft/whatever thick enough it'd work fine wouldn't it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So you would have some sort of plate that the top of the bolt goes through, which is bolted to the chassis?

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ seen.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 20, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's almost as if that's what the designers intended originally and the wheels were a crude, inconvenient concession to production reality. Like door handles and bumpers for concept cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

The H1 gets worse mileage than the H2.

I thought it was the other way around; isn't the H2 a petrol?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

drat, beat me, but I was going to chime in: Yeah, the actual H1 gets WAY better milage, the later models with the Turbocharge 6.5 got even slightly better (some as good at 18 MPG)

You really cannot make a fair comparison of the H1, a dedicate medium to heavy duty truck to the H2, a Chevy Tahoe with tons of weight thrown on it for (terrible) looks.

I've always wondered how capable the H1 is when it comes to recreational off-roading. Is it as superior as it's looks and specs suggest, compared to say a lifted land cruiser with all the suspension goodies and big tyres?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Even has what would now be called 'adaptive headlights'. :fap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tell them it's a safety swap. Half the horsepower and torque=double the safety!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was thinking along the lines of: does it have head bolts/studs, cam retainer bolts/studs in the traditional sense? Surely it must just have large, multicomponent structures which distribute the forces along the same lines as actual large bolts do in smaller engines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

It was only recently I learned that balance shafts on I4s turn over at twice the crank frequency. The S2000 would have a pair of shafts turning over at 18000 r/min at redline. :stare:

Another largish four pot that didn't have balance shafts (I THINK) was the Toyota TZ series found in the Toyota Previa but HAHA that van had the most convoluted accessory drive system conceivable so it's not like rotating mass was A Thing Toyota were concerned with.

I don't think the RZ engines had balance shafts either but I can't be hosed to look it up.

The yamaha r1 has an inline 4 which has a cross-plane crank. Instead of having two pairs of pistons matching eachother, they all move seemingly at random.. It makes the power come out smoother because there isn't a momentary wait while one piston slows down and another has to speed things up again. Makes for more power and a very broad torque curve, much more l like a v4 or even a v-twin. However this completely unbalances the engine so it's the only sport bike I know of with a balance shaft. Sounds mind-boggling too but finding a video using my phone is too much effort.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Triumph 675 :)

I Didn't know that! The rsv mille has two if I remember correctly, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

I wonder what kind of weird moire-like vibrations an unbalanced triple would produce?

The kind every 3 cylinder car does.

Just at 14,000rpm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

Which is the last car (by any manufacturer) to have pop-up headlights?

I'm struggling to think of anything newer than the C5 vette. Lotus Esprit is the only one that comes to mind but I honestly think they're the last. Regulations killed them didn't they?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blk posted:

Not sure how I feel about the stickers and the trying-too-hard vibe I get, but I still have to applaud this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjpXbMiCtg

I really like that car but the driver comes across as a massive tool. He reminds me of me at age 16, except he's a grown man who should know better. Fantastic car though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Left Ventricle posted:

It would appear this car has an inline 8 with 16 exhaust ports. Is that correct? If so, :aaa:

It also appears to be supercharged by a blower mounted at the front of the engine, aircraft-style.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

Thanks for taking the time to write all this up, it was very informative. I hadn't even considered the most basic hindrance to it, the Conservation of Energy :doh:. Still, it sounds like it will probably be put to use in high performance engines if nothing else and it will be interesting to see just how much of a game changer it will be in racing.

Probably not as much as you think. F1 use gas springs instead of conventional ones and, really, in racing the spread of torque isn't as important as absolute peak power (especially in something like f1 where ratios are very close together and the engines rev to the moon). I doubt the gains would be significant enough to make it worthwhile.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why couldn't they just build a replica. Whyyyyyyyyyy...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yyyyyy posted:

all taken by me, click for big

seeing a gullwing up close is an experience. Pretty rear end car, the interior was all original unrestored too, the driver's seat has a little tear & there's a briefcase in the back

also I asked if they could open the hood so I could snap a picture of the engine real quick and they gave me a very polite "hahahahahahahah no. noone's allowed to touch the car at all except the owner, who's loaning it for display. noone. ever."

For a split second I thought the first two pictures were of the same car. My heart only resumed beating as I scrolled further.

That gullwing is fantastic and if mercedes never do anything worthwhile again, they've stamped their legacy on history with that alone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Simkin posted:

Looks like it has WA plates on it, so here's hoping.

This is now legal to import to Canada. :flashfap:

okay, so there's zero chance of finding one for less than about $30k £20k, but tell me it's not the prettiest goddamn WRX ever made. Just try.

Is that a 22B?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Simkin posted:

Oh yeaaaaaahhhh....

Look at dem hips.

And if you're too poor to afford pretty much the rarest Subaru ever built, the P1 is a pretty close approximation, but we can't have it in :canada: for at least another 3 years.

It's funny how everyone in north america spooges over cars like this but if I sit on my front step I can see one drive past at least every half hour, complete with fart-can exhaust, terrible chrome wheels, cut springs and smoke coming out the back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Memento1979 posted:

If he's talking about just the regular two-door (not 22B) then they are not uncommon in Aus/NZ. He doesn't see them every half hour, though, but the four-doors are in fact common as muck here.

We did get something like four of the 22B in Australia, and I saw one once, where the rich dickhead who bought it had just blown the gearbox up by cranking the boost to hell, putting slicks on it and clutch-dumping it down the Heathcote Raceway dragstrip.

:negative:

I was referring to the regular sort, not the 22B, and yes they are literally that common here. If I got up and rode to my friend's place half an hour away, I can hands-down, bet money, guarantee I will see an sti of that era, possibly a 2 door. Or a galant/legnum vr4. Or a honda type-R anything. Or a nissan skyline turbo of any denomination you care to name. 90% odds they will be raped and have terrible modifications.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bidikyoopi posted:

The 22b is a widebody, but that's not always the easiest thing to spot from far away.

"Jeez I don't know why you guys get so excited about C63 Blacks when I see C250s all the time!"

Maybe I'm wrong about how common all the various super-special turbo japanese cars are over there; I was under the impression that the majority were RHD only. Evo and run-of-the-mill wrx excepted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I think I'm in love. Old Peugeots are the business.

According to a kenyan technical training guy I know, these are common as balls in kenya. They made them right up until the mid 00's and they're thought of as super-reliable and rugged.

They also have a torque tube setup with floating rear leaf springs so if you load them incorrectly the front rears up as the back sags and the engine shoves through the radiator. :thumbsup:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Yep, it's just you.

Is that V10 turbocharged? If not, what kind of compression is it running to get those flames? :flashfap:

It's direct injected so the CR will be around 12:1 or more. They won't turbo it because it adds significant weight, makes for a difficult cooling situation in a mid-engined car, and is considered 'impure' in the class, as lambo, ferrari etc all have aspirated halo cars. Emissions will soon change all of this though.

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's an easy(relatively speaking) way to get a lot more power out of an engine.

Most of the time it's actually just easier to make the engine bigger or make small incremental improvements to management, combustion chamber design, cam profiles etc. Turbocharging it would demand a major re-design of the entire car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AlmightyPants posted:

Back before the V10 R8 came out there were spy shots of a R8 that was supposed to get the turbo engine out of the RS6. Soon thereafter there were pictures of said car on fire. Apparently there were cooling issues with the turbo version that were not as economical to fix as just using the corporate V10.

Also the one-off V12TDI R8 which had the Q7 sledgehammer engine weighed around two tons and still couldn't be driven balls-out because it just didn't get enough cooling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echoplex posted:

Technically not Lambo doors? (:spergin: sorry)

I love the Parcour but it'll never see the light of day. I think it's one of the most interesting cars I've seen in years. Giugiaro designs The Best Cars, I'm pretty sure I can pick a car of his from every decade that's hands down my favourite.

I've always wanted something like this. Essentially the car equivalent of a super motard; something handy on the road that can also hold it's own on a gravel or dirt track. Like one of the early WRX's but better and more off-road capable.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VanNuys posted:

Looks 10x better than the real X6. :shrug:

Ironically the 'shop is of an e23 7-series.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I don't understand how the pin can get rammed in there while the engine is spinning without some issues - I am guessing that diagram is a simplification for the purposes of explaining the system, though.

There isn't very much force at all on the rocker arms. The pin is made of hardened steel and only needs a small amount of oil pressure against it, it just slips in when the holes line up. The speed difference between the small and large rocker arms is minimal. There isn't much force involved at all; motorbike gearboxes use the same principle to engage gears where the forces and relative speed difference is much greater and have no problem.

Incidentally, the toyota vvtL-i system does the exact same thing as v-tec but in a different way so as to circumvent the patents. Both lobes are in contact with the same big rocker arm (which sits underneath the cam), except the follower pad thing touching the bigger lobe is constantly collapsed and doesn't do anything. At the appropriate rpm oil pressure fills the rocker arm and the pad is filled rigid, allowing the larger lobe to act on the rocker as a whole. It's basically a hydraulic lifter which can be collapsed on command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cenodoxus posted:

:cripes: About two-thirds of that image is complete poo poo.

"Task Force" is the name of the cheap off-brand tools they sell at Lowes. The name also sounds like a total gimmick because they want you to think their truck is doing Important Things(tm).

And "Advance Design", what the gently caress? I don't see what's so bad about "Avalanche".

"Kingswood Estate". It's an SUV, not a stuffy manor in the Scottish countryside.

It also goes without saying that if they drop the Corvette name, they will have taken a huge, steaming dump on a successful and well-established brand.

:colbert: