Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Yep, looks like you got a whole nest of them in there. That'll mean they're probably in the engine compartment too. Better flush 'em out before they start chewing up the wiring."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Crankit posted:

:stare: A fuckin ghost stole your wheels

"Get out tha way, let Casper drive change your tires in the pit."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Das Volk posted:

Looks like the high plains near Reno

Or south of Bartertown.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

gvibes posted:

Goddamit I did the same and was all excited for a maybach but got a 20 year old cadillac instead.

Perversely, I'd probably be excited for the 20 year old Caddy. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That is some M.A.S.K. level awesomeness right there!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I want one as a daily driver.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

grover posted:

With an impact wrench, of course!

There's a wheeled jack under the car that lifts the wheel off the ground; let them set world records for non-stop endurance driving from California to NYC and back to California without ever stopping, and then later Alaska to Mexico City, without stopping. One guy would shimmy out on a retractable running board, while another climbs on the hood and sets up the plywood platform on the wheel that needs changing. The guy on the hood then climbs down to the plywood and changes the tire just like you normally would, only the car is still moving at 25mph. They refueled in a similar fashion. Safety was apparently not much of a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT8azxnVAC4&t=390s

That 70 year old guy changed a tire on a moving car on a platform that is 2 feet wide faster than I can in my garage. Oh the shame. :sigh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We're lucky we have cars or electricity at all. For every kind of energy source there is, you have a vocal group of people against it with a laundry list of reasons as to why it's terrible. If that sort of opposition had been around 100-120 years ago, we'd be in the local bar chatting about our velocipedes instead now.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Seatbelts posted:

Arabs don't need any lazy western innovation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFxLmmSILmM

:aaaaa:

:drat:

I've seen them drive for a minute or so like that over there, but never that long. And how the hell do they balance with people climbing and moving all over the car? It also amazes me that the suspension and axles and tires just hold the entire weight of the car on the tips of two wheels for so long.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

angryhampster posted:

Not sure if to put here or in CA.

Nonetheless awesome.

This is the best of all possible worlds.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

In a sick way I like the painted DMC-12..

Yeah, it's definitely different then the "Back To The Future conversion" which is pretty much the only look you ever see on those cars besides stock.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Peggy Olsen?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Ever heard the phrase "God is my co-pilot"? Well, apparently he's a mechanic, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21009301

I love slow news days.

"Your move, Catholics." :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From a few pages back, but I gotta say it:

"When this baby hits 88 knots per hour, you're gonna see some serious ship." :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lightbulb Out posted:

A friend at work has this car...

Now normally they're not my jam, but seeing it up close and listening to the passion he has for this type of vehicle, I'm impressed.

That's so nuts that it goes full circle into awesome.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"It BELONGS in a MUSEUM!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FIRST TIME posted:

I thought this was kind of cool in an old man kind of way. There's something about a terrible car that's a terrible color and it's in mint condition.

Ah, of course, it's the famous "Seville D'Elegance" package. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

trouser chili posted:

When I read this I came to the assumption that Chery - the Chinese auto manufacturer, was now building ancient K-cars. It made sense to me, I figured maybe they bought the rights during the carpocalypse and given what they've been able to produce when left to their own devices.

I thought maybe they figured a 30 year old Chrysler was better.

:saddowns:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Transparent aluminum exists in two forms right now.

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/01/17/transparent-aluminum/
This is a form made from aluminum ceramic powder that is completely clear, can be made into sheets or any form, and can stop bullets.

This one was just invented last year, and is made of actual aluminum foil, though it's impractical and expansive for any practical use yet.
http://gajitz.com/science-you-so-crazy-transparent-aluminum-made-in-lab/

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Strawberry posted:

Browsing crownvic.net isn't helping me find any reason for why I shouldn't buy a CVPI for a daily driver...

drat, perfect!

Also freaking out every every one you drive near on the highway has gotta be a pretty good side benefit. :D

And as long as we're posting badass concept cars (Y-Job :swoon: ) let's not forget the Cadillac Sixteen:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rodimus?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Goober Peas posted:

Was watching Season 2 of Quincy, M.E. today and came across this jewel:

:stare: what appears to be a Cadillac Eldorado Station Wagon

See also the rare and elusive beast, the Cadmino:

They were usually flower cars for parades.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That is drat beautiful. I love those thin plastic and metal steering wheels.!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'll let the headline speak for itself:
Man builds working car out of wood

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/wood-car-build-diy-project-190822009.html

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Now THAT'S a fender skirt!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Das Volk posted:

I agree but did that piece of crap ever manage speeds like that? Weren't they powered by some Peugeot co-developed V6?

It's not mph, it's degrees Celsius.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Looks like somebody's out to take market share away from Starbucks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What always amazes me about those Cuban cars is how nicely they are painted, and how good the bodywork is (or appears), all straight lines and very well taken care of. I have no idea if a tropical climate is that much better for rust than a bit more north, as I suppose you'd have higher humidity, but those cars always look great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"What'd I miss?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nubile Hillock posted:

There's a thing on this site about 80's digital dashboards.

Some of it is pretty terrible, but most of it is pretty sweet.

Car dashes today look so woefully dull in comparison. Hell, my late 90s digital dash Caddy is snoozeville compared to those beauties.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not a huge fan of modern interiors replacing stock ones on classic cars, but this is really well done.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

Chevrolet Astro III

Not to be confused with the Chevrolet Astro we actually got...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbImDmJdRcs

This whole video rules but skip to 4:30 for the crash test if you're impatient. Watch the seats in the car fly around in the crash test as the announcer touts the solidity and safety of the car. :v:

I think my favorite part is the test driver wearing laceup wingtips. :allears: