Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
A little something my buddy saw rolling around in Las Vegas today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Q_res posted:

Pretty sure that's a 918.

It is. One of three running prototypes.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

sean10mm posted:

The concept of what is and isn't a lot of power has gone totally apeshit since my childhood in the 80s. :corsair:

I mean, a top of the line Corvette was a 230 HP car. That's from a 5.7L V8. A US Spec 911 Turbo or Ferrari 328 had well under 300. Now you have pretty basic cars pushing 300 HP.

When I was in high school in 1990, the Mustang GT made 225 horsepower. It seemed like a lot, especially compared to other cars of the era. My ex-wife bought a new 2000 Mustang GT back when we were dating. That had 260 horsepower, and again, it was pretty drat fast in a straight line compared to contemporary cars. Our 2005 Corvette had 400 horsepower and that was unheard of outside of something really exotic.

Now you can buy a Mustang GT with more horsepower than that Corvette. The base Mustang makes considerably more power than the our old GT. Pedestrian sedans like the Accord are inching up on 300. For less than $100,000 you can find a production factory American car that pushes out 850 horsepower. Even in the dark days of SAE gross inflated horsepower and thinly disguised "factory" racecars sold in single digits, I don't think you ever saw this kind of power.

This is insane.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

beedeebee posted:

^^ no, it had sharper edges. Less curves, more straight lines.

It actually looked like the backside of a Reventon. But no way I saw a Reventon in person right?

It also was grey, and I think they only did the Reventons in black. So it's something that looks similar. Or else I'm an idiot who'd rather look at a 300 year old building that isn't going anywhere instead of a super exlusive supercar passing by.
It's not impossible, especially considering you're in Paris. Seven of them went to Europe. From the wikipedia article, the paint isn't black: "All Reventóns have the same exterior color, described as "mid opaque grey without the usual shine."

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

jonathan posted:

I'm comparing the current top speed record holding street car to a previous one.

I think it's bland compared to the Aventador, Pagani, Shelby A/C Cobra etc. If I saw it on the street I'd stop and glance at it, but I wouldn't drool over it like I would a Lambo.

Of course that's my opinion of it. Perhaps it would change if I got to drive one.

Here's how I look at it. The original Lamborghini Countach was a car that was 6.6 seconds 0-60mph and 14.1 seconds in the quarter mile. The last ones were about a second and a half quicker to 60 and half a second in the quarter mile. They certainly aren't luxurious and fantastically unreliable. There are a lot of fairly pedestrian cars that will run with that thing, and for $25k, you could buy a used C6 Corvette that would absolutely smoke it in any quantitative way you want to measure it.

It doesn't change the fact that I still want one.

Twenty years from now, if the Veyron is as outclassed -- and it should be -- and the luxury and performance are simply average compared to the cars of the day, I'll probably have zero interest in owning one.