Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'd love to own one of those but I'd never be able to take it to a trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Geoj posted:

How do you even drive that? It appears to be a manual transmission and there's no seat. Kind of hard to feather the clutch out while giving it gas when you have to use at least one foot to stand up...

With just about no extra weight, you can start it by just feathering out the clutch pedal, then switch feet to gas and float the rest of the gears. :smug:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Sure, put all the mass behind the passenger compartment! We don't want people driving something that ugly to live :bahgawd:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

The Rocket Salad posted:

I'm not always on Boomerjinks' side but what the gently caress was that

Basically a summary of what he pulled? Not the right place or time for that venting, but it doesn't really seem inaccurate.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

That's not a performance upgrade by any means, and a very questionable aesthetic to boot. Wrong thread.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
What's the deal with the exposed timing belts?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Captain McAllister posted:

'If it has an engine, men will race it.'

This is probably more appropriate.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Not as bad as I was expecting.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

DixielandDelight posted:

Let me rephrase this - I know some run the cams and oil pump but what else is ran off of them?

He's saying that in order to drive the overhead cams, you have to reach to the top gears. In order to do that without huge gears that have lots of angular inertia, a series of smaller gears is used. Thus they are all necessary.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

angryhampster posted:

Even the mirrors look like it's flinging its arms up in the air in pure delight.

It's too bad they make a pathetic little sound when you romp on them.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
That steering setup is still used in Jeeps (and other solid front axle 4x4s), with only slight linkage changes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

My brain cant parse this image. Is that actually 4 GINORMOUS engines in a tiny car? How exactly does this work.

What car? All I see are the engines.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
That seems like an awfully narrow RPM range.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I would rock that huge superhero door fob any day.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I figured that Odyssey=>Odysseus, but I can see how it would be hard to make the connection (Odysseus wasn't that loving old, for one).

Edit: it's loving Homer. Yeah that's a stretch. Dude was not really a shepherd, he should be carrying some kind of musical instrument.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 24, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
How much can you really do to improve on the fast stuff with a solid axle?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

jonathan posted:

Fast stuff requires a lot of uptravel, a way to not harm the components once you reach the end of the uptravel, and a shock that can cope with continuous cycling/stroke without overheating, cavitation or foaming. These principles are the same for independent and solid axle.

Addressing the issues is easier with independent, and in a max effort race environment, the solid axle would run into limitations that the independent wouldnt, but for the enthusiast a solid setup could be made to do what an independent setup can.

Here is a setup from Teraflex that basically does what I'm going to do, except I already have a lift, so I'm just going to be swapping out shocks, springs and adding bumpstops. I find that in Northern Alberta, the opportunity to do a lot of high speed gravel road driving is a lot more common than the gnarly slow speed rock crawling I'm used to from BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjK9d0rRHA

That's still a nasty amount of bouncing and roughness. The video didn't show any sections where the washboard wasn't perpendicular to the Jeep; I wonder if they'd still do 50 across that without breaking a track bar or mount. Even with that kit I wouldn't go slamming down that trail at 50 in my own personal Jeep because I don't have money to throw away breaking axles on purpose.

Edit: not to say that that's not an impressive speed for a Jeep on washboard

EightBit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 30, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Don't you only need the bottom half of that to control axle wrap? Well, two of them?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I missed the shackle at the frame (it's just barely visible in the photo), but that is a bit overbuilt and looks like it might limit uptravel severely.

As to doing a triangulated 3 or 4 link setup: when you already have coil springs it's easy to triangulate, taking off leaf springs and putting on coils is much more work than just putting on a single piece to limit axle wrap.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

Found this at Cars and Coffee in Austin. I'd never seen one in person. It had a for sale sticker on it: $73K and it was yours.

I didn't realize it when I took the pic but just in the upper right of the pic is Holley from Barrett Auto here in Austin, starring on Texas Car Wars. You might know her as the lady that recently had cancer and shaved her head on the show. She was mostly bald under the cap. The show is kind of stupid but I can't stop watching it because it shows places in town I know.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/texas-car-wars/videos/head-shaving.htm

Isn't this just an Ariel Atom?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

It is. I've never seen one in Austin. The driving season for such a car is short here. November-March is about it. and then only if it isn't raining. Other than that it's too drat hot without A/C.

Lol what? I drive all summer with the doors off of my TJ, and it has working A/C, in San Antonio. I would love to own an Atom, I'd be able to drive it nearly all year.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

leica posted:

There's a big difference between having shade (bikini top) and nothing. I drive my Miata all year round in FL without using the AC, but during the summer the top is up with the rear window down, no way I could do it with the top down exposed to the sun.

I do have a bikini top (really a Rampage top with the sides and door tops off), but I also used to own an RX7 convertible, which I always drove with the top down. I've spent so much time with lovely manual labor jobs in the heat that driving around really doesn't bother me any more.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

e: holy poo poo, the Veyron weighs over four thousand pounds? What the hell, I thought it would be like 2800 or so. What happened to all the carbon fiber? How heavy is that engine?

Well, a 1000hp W16 engine with 4 turbos and vast myriad of radiators can't be light.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I watched a few of the videos that were related to that one. I think the best ones were the slow motion asian ones. You can see the accident coming, but nothing is done to stop it. That, and noone dies; some of those videos show Cherokee-sized vehicles getting t-boned and it's very clear that the occupants all died (you don't live through your vehicle being shredded like paper).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

emf posted:

Ah. I was meaning the tach and the speedometer are parallel throughout the entire gear. It really isn't supposed to impress anyone, just neat to see ... although, when I rebuilt the engine with a raised redline, second gear was good from 25 to just over 70 ... so that was kinda fun. Cam started to kick in around 45-50 which was less fun, or more fun, depending on how you looked at it. Top speed was just shy of redline in 4th; in 5th it would slow back down :( Stupid tall gears.

My 1991 Integra had this behavior: speedometer and tachometer were apparently the same part with different numbers printed on the backing, 4th gear was 1:1.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

While humans regularly use as volatile fuels without blowing themselves up every day of our lives in the most mundane of circumstances, that's always going to be a truly dumb argument against hydrogen. Battery tech is NOT going to allow an electric car for anything beyond city running at best for years unless you get fuel cells. Fuel cells work and hydrogen works.

Current hybrid-electric drivetrains are always going to be more effective than hydrogen fuel-cell drivetrains because there isn't the wasteful conversion step from some other energy to hydrogen (and liquid fuels are simply more power-dense than hydrogen).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Linedance posted:

The hydrogen isn't being burnt. :words: the hydrogen is being used in a chemical reaction with air :words:

What do you think burning is?

You still have to deal with the waste of converting some other form of energy to hydrogen before you can feed it to the cells; there are other gaseous fuels that can be dug straight from the ground, but are still not practical because of energy density problems, at least with combustion engines. Fuel cells have other problems too, ranging from some requiring more platinum than your catalytic converter, to just low power density. Hydrogen fuel cells will simply never be mainstream.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Sadi posted:

Right, hydrogen has its issues, but at least its mostly renewable. Manufacture of hydrogen with next gen nuclear plants is above 50% efficiency. They use waist heat from the reactor to speed the reaction involved in braking down hydrogen from water. Our supplies of nuclear fuels are magnitudes higher than CNG. My schools has several fuel cell power projects going on. There are issues to over come, but the vast amount of research going into it tell me that It wont be that much longer until its viable. Most people would have said solar power was pointless years ago because of the efficiency of the panels but these days they are pretty good. Technology moves fast.

Solar power sucks everywhere because there's simply not much power density in solar.

Hydrogen is a pretty lovely storage medium. You have to use up some other energy just to manufacture it, it is hard to contain inside typical gas tanks, slips past seals with amazing ease, and makes most tanks brittle. It is a nastier beast than any other fuel on the table. Using excess solar or nuclear to make hydrocarbon fuel will take precedence over hydrogen, not just because it will retrofit to existing vehicles easier, but because it is safer and more dense.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

oxbrain posted:

Over complex, worth it.

I, need, this.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Nah, to be honest she'd be hunky dory with a third of a carat that cost $400 if it was all that I could afford. The way that I see it is, this ring will hopefully last for the rest of our lives. If I'm more than willing to pay $10,000 for a DD that I will get maybe 10-15 years out of, how much should I spend to show the girl of my dreams that I'll love her forever and not have that lil speck of a diamond from "when we were poor kids with no money"?

She doesn't even know I have that much money, I've been squirreling it away at another bank, so for all she knows I have $2,000 in savings right now and no plans to get engaged any time soon. She's gonna be really, really surprised :)

edit: I find myself liking Challengers more and more, even though they're fat pigs and made by Chrysler.

Wrong thread and all, but none of that really screams long-term success in that relationship.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

This is the best Continental color :colbert:

Mary Kay calling! :gay:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Rather than have the pivot point bolt into a flat surface, it would be better to have the pivot point in a big C, like this:
code:
Bad:

||
         ||
         ||
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Better:

____
  |   ||
  |   ||
  |   ||
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
The difference is that the top diagram not only has shear forces, the bolt is also a cantilever. The bottom bolt won't be able to flex as much and can handle much higher loads given the same materials.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
My example was pretty lovely for sure, but it was basically a bar-napkin diagram just to illustrate a concept, not a practical engineering solution.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Das Volk posted:

That's very much Laguna Seca .jpg

There's an onsite muffler service to help people comply. Because moving right next to a racetrack that's been there for 50 years then complaining about noise totally makes sense.

I want to move next to the new track by Austin, and when race days are on, open up the doors :allears:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

joat mon posted:

A video game?

My thoughts exactly.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
That image is missing any and all glare. I don't think you'd be able to clearly see the driver with the reflection that should be coming off of the windshield.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I won't miss pop-up headlights.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

so... what happens when you have to open the hood?

You dump some oil on the body while disconnecting the quick disconnects that were on the hoses?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I just wonder how he gets away with that in California (or doesn't, he very clearly doesn't have money for tickets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Carteret posted:

I love the lack of any and all restraining equipment. People were made differently back then. I don't see where the driver could store his massive balls in that cockpit.

I wouldn't have any issue driving that around. Well, not on my route to the office because I'd be driven over in the crowded traffic, but someone scares the poo poo out of me by drifting into my lane each time I drive down there.