Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sbaldrick posted:

Please GM, please at least bring this to Canada.

They'll do what Dodge did with the Alfa Romeo that underpins the new Dart - modify the frame a bit, throw a mediocre body on top of it and claim they built it from the ground up. In short, ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^

Gum Creek Customs website posted:

Quick and accessible, our universal vehicle handgun mount is great for convenience or personal self-defense while in your vehicle. road rage incidents where your middle finger isn't enough.

I haven't found CCW holders or off-duty law enforcement to be immune to displays of over the top road rage. Making it easier for people to haul their gun out at the drop of a hat while behind the wheel is a bad idea.

Content:

"Glenn Beck is my hero" bumpersticker on a Civic Hybrid :doh:

"Protected by southern pride."

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 3, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Godholio posted:

How about we don't go down this goddamned road, ok? Nobody gives a poo poo about your anecdotal evidence.

So you have hard evidence that 100% of people with legal exemptions to carry loaded firearms in their cars are immune to road rage, and its impossible to think that they might haul their gun out and point it/shoot it at someone who cut them off (etc.) when its easy to get at?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Left Ventricle posted:

A little hard to tell, but this guy needed to get to Autozone right loving now. (Drove into the front of the building.)

:corsair: I couldn't tell the difference between the brake pedal and gas pedal!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
We are only seeing one side of the car...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I mean, the rest of it is a horrendous hack job obviously made by someone who doesn't know what they're doing but the plywood isn't that big of a :wtc: on its own.

He could have at least used a sheet of paint grade instead of some god-awful piece of underlayment. Or at least done a few coats of paint with sanding to cover up the grain pattern...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sofullofhate posted:

WHY those loving cheap-looking poo poo wheels on such a beautiful machine?

Nobody ever said having big piles of money to burn and good taste were mutually exclusive...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Those ignorant of anything to do with cars seem to be attracted to them. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 Grand Caravan this past spring and had to take it in for warranty service. They gave him a 200 as a loaner and he was going on and on about what a great car it was and how fast it was, and how he could see buying one eventually. I tried breaking the news that its a dressed-up Sebring gently but apparently that wasn't enough to scare him off.

Of course, this is the same guy who thinks his mom's Buick Lacrosse is the pinnacle of automotive engineering, and who went on about how CVT transmissions would replace traditional slushbox autos and manuals by the end of the decade when he read an article about them in Popular Science in 2002...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 23, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Taking hard parking to a whole new level.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Are you sure its not the other way around? I've seen a lot of "I'll keep my guns and money (etc.), you can keep the change" bumper stickers.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Why do people think this is a good idea...?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

I occasionally wonder if not being allowed to shag until they're 18 or drink until they're 21 is why so many American teenagers you meet online are pissed off at the world in general.

There's no law against having sex before 18, just against having sex with someone who's under 18 when you're over 18. Are things different over there?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Am I missing something or is there no driveshaft on that car?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

Not all that uncommon around here, but usually they at least take off the original spoiler before mounting the bookshelf.

If it works on biplanes...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OSI bean dip posted:

Is that even road legal?

No, but its probably a case of "they won't get cited until it fails spectacularly and someone dies" because law enforcement goes all :effort: when it comes to a ticket they might actually have to go to court over.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 20, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

e: I really wonder what's going on with the insulation on that wall, too. Holy poo poo.

I like to think they keep parking trucks with semi stacks too close to the wall, leave them running and never learn their lesson.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The other thing I've been wondering - does some company actually mass-produce a ~24" exhaust tip or is that some absurdly expensive one-off part?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Would it really be that hard to bend some sheet metal into a tube, weld it, and then polish it and sell it at an outrageous 1500% markup to idiots who put 4' lift kits on their trucks.

Fixed. Just because its simple doesn't mean it can't be an outrageously priced one-off custom part.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

Who steals stock wheels in a middle class suburb?

Meth is a hell of a drug.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Throatwarbler posted:

2010-2012 Canyons and Colorados recalled because they straight up forgot to install hood latches. :bravo:

Its kind of vague, but it sounds more to me like the supplier of the hood latches hosed up and didn't install the secondary catch that keeps the hood shut after you pop it from inside the cabin. So the line assemblers installed latch mechanisms that were missing a critical component, not forgetting to install a latch at all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm sure there's plenty of good reasons why (washing machine died and they had to do a load of wash, live in an apartment with lovely/overpriced onsite laundry) but the most likely scenario is a decent washer/dryer combo costs the same as one of the 24" wheels they're currently leasing from the neighborhood wheel and tire shop and a washer/dryer setup isn't going to do poo poo for your street cred.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 22, 2012

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Probably works infinitely better than the "broken structural interior support pieces remaining after the driver smacked into a telephone pole while texting" you typically see with mirror damage...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
BINGO!

-Riced out automatic econobox
-Decals for equipment more than likely not on the car
-Horrible body kit with Home Depot rain gutter mesh
-Erector set spoiler
-E-bay special altezza tail lights
-Fart cannon
- :barf: shade of green paint job

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

netwerk23 posted:

An rear end in a top hat parks poorly

Jesus loving Christ - there needs to be a law that if you can't even get your car roughly between the lines of an extra wide handicap space your license is revoked.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Devyl posted:

I'm sure you turned right around, walked in the store, and asked the manager if they had security camera footage while you were dialing the cops; right?

I doubt the parking lot cameras would have a clear enough image to prove anything, assuming you knew the identity of the vandal. If it's just "guy who keys car and then walks out of frame/gets in car and drives off (and the license plate of which is unreadable)" there wouldn't be enough evidence for the police to even do a cursory investigation.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I don't really get the bad rap A-pillar gauge pods get. Sure a lot of ricers use them, but they actually do serve a purpose (unlike a lot of other poo poo ricers do.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JP Money posted:

I think it's just the installation that raises a flag. A lot of the ones I've seen are lovely, hacked in gauges that are barely secured to the pillar. It's akin to putting a 7 inch tach on your stock d16 civic as if you needed that much notice to shift, ever.

If they're on a fast enough or a very well built car I think they get a pass but when they get put on either mostly-stock or hacked together cars they just add to the embarrassment.

I'd say it depends on the gauges being used. With manufacturers eliminating all but the bare essentials, and even turning most of those into mechanical idiot lights (temperature gauges that are pegged in the middle unless the engine is dead cold or catastrophically overheating, fuel gauges that only really tell you when the tank is full, half or empty and guess for everything else, oil pressure gauges that extrapolate data based on engine RPM and temperature) I can understand wanting to install aftermarket coolant/oil temperature, voltage/ammeter or oil pressure gauges on an otherwise stock or lightly modded car.

OTOH, I'll agree if we're talking about putting a boost gauge, pyrometer, A/F R (without wideband O2 sensor, of course) or GPS speedometer on a bone stock econobox.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 12, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:911:

Was being driven by some 80 year old man. Not sure how he gets away with the red emergency flashers either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Linedance posted:

my first guess would be volunteer fire department.

Like I said, the driver was in his 80s. He wouldn't be able to get out of his own way in the event of a fire. He might have been a retired firefighter but there's little chance he has legal authority to use them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Ohio revised code 4513.17, section D:

quote:

Except a person operating a public safety vehicle, as defined in division (E) of section 4511.01 of the Revised Code, or a school bus, no person shall operate, move, or park upon, or permit to stand within the right-of-way of any public street or highway any vehicle or equipment that is equipped with and displaying a flashing red or a flashing combination red and white light, or an oscillating or rotating red light, or a combination red and white oscillating or rotating light; and except a public law enforcement officer, or other person sworn to enforce the criminal and traffic laws of the state, operating a public safety vehicle when on duty, no person shall operate, move, or park upon, or permit to stand within the right-of-way of any street or highway any vehicle or equipment that is equipped with, or upon which is mounted, and displaying a flashing blue or a flashing combination blue and white light, or an oscillating or rotating blue light, or a combination blue and white oscillating or rotating light.

So yeah, he's technically violating the law.

e: reading it again, IOC was probably right and he's OK as long as they aren't being used on a public road.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 13, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

blk posted:

87 in an E39 M5

Is enough of the car visible in that picture to tell if its a legit M5 or just a regular 5-series with a M5 badge? I saw a similar case of some kid who had his early 2000s Mustang GT kitted out like it was a Cobra, pumping 87.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

This is either the donk equivalent of ricers installing a primered body kit on their car and claiming "I'm going to get it painted....soon," or else someone was late on the lease payment for their 26" spinners from the neighborhood wheel shop.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

I wasn't able to get a photo of it, because I was driving in traffic - but would you hire a PDR guy whose van had multiple visible-from-20'-away dents?

He probably fixes other people's dents all day and when he gets home doesn't want to bother fixing his own.

Also a dent that's visible from 20' is probably beyond being fixed by PDR.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

the gently caress you need a raised truck like that for in FL :raise:

I would hazard a guess that a high-90s percentile of lifted/bro trucks rarely see anything but tarmac, and even when they do its because they're parking in a field or driving on a gravel driveway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wasabi the J posted:

Is there something really wrong with that if it's a non-flammable material?

Other than the only reason for an exhaust pipe to be hanging like that is its rusted out or a hanger fell off somewhere further up the line and its an eyesore, no.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nothing classes up your Infiniti like a giant Fox sticker.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nocheez posted:

Rt 8 in Akron, by the University?

edit: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=univ...,348.99,,0,2.11
Yep! I haven't lived there in nearly a decade, but still recognized that horrible area. Traffic is bad, and the short ramps make it hard for people to merge and exit.

You nailed it, just past the central interchange. They did a major overhaul of the downtown exits about 7 years ago but its still terrible at rush hour going south, people are loving idiots and end up in the far right lane that takes you to 77N when they need to be in the center or left lanes to continue south after 8 ends - or the other way around, and nobody knows how to change lanes or thinks the highway is a big race. Its still not uncommon for traffic to back up past Chapel Hill into Cuyahoga Falls.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 9, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Kolta posted:

Foresters aren't really known to be the fastest of the fleet. I believe in 2005 Subaru made an STI version?

Paging Tusen Takk ITT...

Yes, they made a STI Forester but it was for the Japanese market only.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JP Money posted:

A tach is pretty useless in automatic econoboxes really. Who cares?

Fixed...you can still benefit from a tach in a manual transmission econobox.

In my experience with late-model cars it seems they're shifting more towards putting the bare essentials in the gauge cluster, which the industry seems to have decided consists of a speedometer, tach and fuel gauge with everything else either gone and handled by an idiot light or accessible through a LCD panel in the cluster. FWIW most of the car driving public could get by with nothing more than a speedometer with the major speed limits printed on it (25-65 at 10 MPH intervals) and idiot lights for everything else. Most temperature gauges in recent cars are little more than analog idiot lights (remains dead center through a wide range of actual engine temperatures and is only to the left or right at cold start or damage imminent overheating), and fuel gauges are only really accurate at F, 1/2 and E with everything else being more of extrapolation than from actual sensor data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

trouser chili posted:

No-one wants to drive in them, ever. They're like ghost lanes between exits, even while the other lanes sit bumper to bumper.

That's kind of shocking. Pretty much anywhere else I've driven assholes will drive pretty much anywhere that its physically possible to squeeze a car through to avoid gridlock. I once saw people driving in the grass along side the shoulder when the shoulder also went bumper to bumper when five lanes of interstate got shut down due to a hazmat spill.