Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That looks more like the inside of a tape deck than a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Why not simply put the seat belt on before starting the car?

Because humans only have two hands, and we enter our cars with keys in one of them. Buckling is easier with empty hands, and if you're gonna put the key in the ignition you might as well start the car too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure the voodoo magic to outright disable chimes are legitimate voodoo magic so the idiots the chime is designed to inform don't disable the chime.

Or it was the only way for engineers to get the disable feature into the car without spending more money on hardware or risking people entering the sequence unintentionally.

I don't mind the chime too much, but it would be better if it only woke up after the car was put into drive. A lot of passenger seat belt alerts don't trigger until the vehicle is over 10 mph, for example. It functions as a reminder without being annoying about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess it's the Smart equivalent of someone parking their Ferrari across two spots. The owner of this car used to park rotated a full 90 degrees, but got ticketed for it. This is their response.

Wishing it doesn't make it so, bud. But dream on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

My 58 doesn't even have mounting holes for seatbelts. I'm going to die my first time driving it.

My 66 had aftermarket ones installed. While it had fancy three point harnesses, I'm pretty sure in any wreck the anchors would have pulled out. Or they'd actually hold and the belt would function like a cheese slicer, splitting me into three chunks of former human.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

So Enterprise gave me a Chrysler 200 with just over 19000 on the clock. This car is a giant pile of poo poo. It sounds like there is a CV joint already going out on it. I loving hate rental cars so much. Anyone know how to lower the seat? I'm only 5'9 and my head is almost on the roof.

Don't drive it in the snow, because it's even worse then. Rented one when my car was totaled last year and with a faint dusting it seemed like it took a quarter mile to come to a stop. Any time my foot went near the brake the ABS went nuts.

For how heavy it was, it didn't even pull all that great when I put the foot down.

What a horrible uninspired hunk of crap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wallaka posted:

It's a Sebring with a new shirt, what do you expect?

Now I feel tainted having driven one for a couple weeks. It's one of those cars where the first 30 seconds are great. "Hey, decent interior, the seats seem comfy, and when I goose the throttle it makes a pleasing rev. Got a bit of a grandpa car feel to it but it's tolerable."

After about an hour though the illusion erodes and you regret the events in your life that brought you to this moment. After two weeks the car has revealed how miserable it is and is dragging you down with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

My fiance had a rental Hyundai Accent with 800 miles on it. It leaked oil.

Perhaps one Jeremy Clarkson was the previous renter?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Mitsubishi is the Chrysler of Japan :eng101:

Might as well be the same company with all the rebadged Mitsubishi cars that have been sold under Chrysler brands.

Even though I loved the hell out of the mighty max I drove for a few years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

I share the road with this abomination.

Only until the next accident the car is in, anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What are the odds Jimmy climbs into the truck with the idea of breaking free by putting the thing in gear and dropping the hammer?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I only ever rent from Avis (company policy), they always start the tank full; do other companies really make a practice of renting out cars with 1/4 tank of gas?

They give you whatever the previous renter left in the tank. They tell you to return the car with the same amount of gas as you started with, or they charge you gas at an inflated price to refuel it.

As you can imagine the needle tends to drift closer to empty the more times it's rented as people always try to put the bare minimum amount of gas in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

e: GIS for "Honda logo on xxx" reveals so much awful

Curiously, using other car manufacturers for 'xxx' turns up no interesting results.

I figure someone would have slapped a Honda logo on a Ford at some point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Note how the picture with the stickers on the tire also has a black rear bumper.. that's probably when the build was still in progress. The mesh in that shot isn't trimmed properly either.

Basically what I'm saying is we still don't have evidence whether it goes on the street or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately there will always be Lamborghini who somehow make their cars look more ridiculous with each generation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm super disappointed they didn't make a custom badge with more E's in the middle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Posted to a facebook group I'm part of mainly for people-watching reasons. Guy's comment was "New bumper for the Dakota pretty beefy" and he thinks it looks great.

What's that bumper protecting? His hood is already beat to poo poo.

Maybe he should have demonstrated his engineering prowess before ramming a deer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Not to mention noone will ever argue that they're somehow destroying a priceless piece of automotive heritage. They're abortions from the second-worst era of american cars, it's better that it happens to them than something actually worth saving.

People need to destroy them faster, because in the past few years I've started seeing cars from that era rolling around with vintage plates on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Am I the only one that [timg]tags aren't working for? Maybe it's just imgur. But I can dig the URL out of a post and see it by pasting directly to the URL bar. Weird.

Edit: Well gently caress, they're working for me now. Here's content.

*click to make worse*
[img]http://i.imgur.com/PEtvHmgl.jpg[/timg]

That seems to be the type of project that's a result of a bunch of dudes sitting around a campfire emptying a case of beer trying to design the most ironically ugly ricer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I understand that some exhausts are sold as a loud straight pipe. I'm sure you get maximum horsepower out of your street driven race car or whatever it is you have. But all that extra performance really worth annoying people that live hear you? Or everywhere else, because believe me, you're affecting way more people than you think.

On the other hand, a necessary concession to living in dense housing is that sometimes people are gonna make noise. I'm sure running my vacuum is annoying to the neighbors too but I gotta keep the place clean and they need to accept that.

As long as it's not going for hours when people are trying to sleep, it's fair game. Complainers can go buy some noise cancelers or go visit a library if they need quiet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I rent the house I'm in and came in terrified I would be "that guy" because of my car. I basically idle/coast through the neighborhood and clutch up my driveway to keep the noise down. 7 years later and I've had no complaints so I guess it worked.

You might also have reasonable neighbors who don't throw a hissy fit over the slightest inconvenience.

Just kidding, that doesn't exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So what kind of side impact rating does packing tape come with?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MetaJew posted:

I bought a pair of whistle tips off eBay that I was planning on putting on a friend's (auto) FRS that he kept bragging about because people would compliment his car. But, I'm not sure if they will mount inconspicuously with the stock exhaust tips, not fall off and create road debris, or totally piss him off.

Is this a terrible prank?

High school friend got one of those prank whistles and snuck it onto his dad's car. His dad is one of those drill sergeant levels of strict when you gently caress up, but when you successfully prank him he's pretty awesome about it.

At any rate when he started the car in the morning, it was making a loud shrieking whistle. Car had a turbo on it and he was positive it was about to destroy itself.. the whistle sort of kind of sounded like a death whine even though it was coming from the wrong end of the car.

Took him a few minutes to realize the noise was coming from the rear of the car and all was well, but up until that point the only thing louder than the car was his spitting and cursing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I try to remember to replace my ice scraper every October, because they're all cheaply made and fall apart at the worst times.

I also keep one of those tiny single hand scrapers with the spare tire just so I have a backup. Back in the day we'd use cassette tape cases as emergency ice scrapers, but that tech is dead and gone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Different weather conditions create different types of frost, there's some that bonds to the window like super glue. You need a sturdy one to get it off in any reasonable amount of time. Also needs a clean edge, I hate when people throw their scrapers around because nicks in the blade make scraping windows a goddamn chore with all the repeat passes you have to make. And once you start shopping for big scrapers you might as well get one with a brush on it too so you can get snow off.

The ones with brass edges are the best, but you probably won't see them sold at most stores unless you live someplace that gets serious snow. Just order one from Amazon because they own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Funzo posted:

Looks a lot like a Pontiac Sunfire to me.

Doesn't really answer the question though. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Once you guys in the frozen tundras get finished with all that snow we ought to be fine. You're hogging it and we aren't getting your sweet, sweet runoff.

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about that, up north snow is a blank canvas and penises are the paintbrush.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bugdrvr posted:

Every time I've bodged a wreck back together it's always been suspension first; hammer out the bodywork after. Most people seem to skip the first step and are happy enough to get most of the crushed sheet metal bent out or replaced (with packing tape or whatever) and just keep on going.

They must really care about the car because they took the time to swap out a fender.

Usually beaters like that from Wisconsin or Minnesota stay that way because people hit deer so often they invest the bare minimum to keep them on the road. Catastrophic failure? Send it to the junkyard and buy another beater.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drukqs posted:

:colbert: Planes are a form of mass transit and should be allowed to put out 140db its for the greater good :colbert:

NASCAR puts all the rednecks in a small confined space and keeps them sitting still for 6 hours, it's for the greater good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The noise limits at NHMS vary depending on event, for reasons I don't understand. Our vintage bike races mostly have noise limits but of course NASCAR doesn't. Cause we're louder, obviously.

:homebrew:

NASCAR can slap a fat wad on the desk and get pretty much whatever they want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because as we all know the best way to make sure a relationship lasts is to try and change the person you're with into someone else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

2. She bought the Camry new and there's such a drat loss you take selling a car you bought new a year or two ago.

If you did consider that route however, you could do a lot worse than Toyota. They top the charts for resale value.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Hmm, I'm stuck with this beige Camry for a few years, I really need to jazz it up. I know! A ridiculous beige spoiler!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When's your lease up?

Because I'd consider moving away from these creeps. How the hell do they have your email address anyways?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You gonna gargle mayonnaise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shoopeach posted:

welcome to houston, for some reason its only really a thing down here. People get shot/killed for these wheels every now and then, they're very popular in neighborhoods of ill repute.

You mean those are an actual product, not something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

Just because someone is selling them doesn't mean they aren't something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims.

And apparently then unload them at a 2000% markup. :stare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FatCow posted:

Who else could you talk to about that? The State AG? That seems like a pretty good case of fraud.

They're listed as A+ on BBB's website and they've been registered since 1990, so that might be a good place to nail them. Ears usually perk up when the BBB gets mentioned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

So the only way to avoid the 4 square bullshit is to come in with a price you want to pay for the car, a price you must have for your trade-in and preapproved financing correct? I was surprised when I bought my 11 TDI that I didn't get much runaround at all. I told them how much I'd pay for the car and what I wanted for my trade. But then I made them pay for the cost of moving my full custom stereo from the trade-in to the new car and put the factory system back in the trade in. Ended up costing them 1800 buck. This was after getting the car for invoice. It's kind of nice to actually get one over on the dealership for once.

VW runs their dealerships differently, the norm is they don't push sales tactics as hard. When I was car shopping last year I was considering a TDI and the sales guy basically dropped the keys in my hand and pointed where it was on the lot, told me and my wife to go take it for a drive. I ended up not buying it but it was a pretty unique experience.. he told me straight up how much it would cost and didn't try any bullshit.

When I got the car I did end up buying, I got pre-approved by my bank for the loan, found the car I wanted on a dealer's website, then walked into the showroom and told them I was there to buy it. This seemed to short circuit all the haggling bullcrap. They pushed really loving hard to give me a loan under their own terms, I guess they get a pretty good kickback on that stuff. But I think I spent less than an hour total on the premises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's variations on it too, it may not be an actual four squares. They'll take an innocent sheet of scrap paper and fold it in half, then start writing numbers and circling other numbers and blasting you with questions and flipping the sheet around and basically just trying to breed confusion.

I've only bought from a dealer twice in my life, but the most important lesson I've discovered is to make sure you get the financing secured before you go to a dealer. That eliminates an immense quantity of the bullshit.