Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Saw a Wrangler today in quite a state. Dunno if it was spacers, longer axles or just ~~sykk offset~~, but the inside shoulder of the tires were at least an inch or two outside the fenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

EightBit posted:

I just got a box with four shocks and a steering stabilizer today from FedEx that was amazingly beat up, and one of the shocks got out of the individual box it was in and was just chilling out in the larger box. Nothing looks damaged other than cardboard, but come on it's not that hard to move thirty pounds, is it?

I buy a lot of wheels from tirerack and they double box their wheels to avoid handling damage. I've had outside boxes looking like they were dropped from a plane but the inside box is still brand new. They also use very heavy cardboard so that helps a ton when you got guys just throwing poo poo where it has to go.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Buddy on a contract job in TX just sent me this:

welcome to houston, for some reason its only really a thing down here. People get shot/killed for these wheels every now and then, they're very popular in neighborhoods of ill repute.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shoopeach posted:

welcome to houston, for some reason its only really a thing down here. People get shot/killed for these wheels every now and then, they're very popular in neighborhoods of ill repute.

You mean those are an actual product, not something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims?

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

xzzy posted:

You mean those are an actual product, not something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims?

yup, they're called swangas

http://www.slabcustoms.net/catalog/slab_section_Elbows.htm

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

Just because someone is selling them doesn't mean they aren't something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

Just because someone is selling them doesn't mean they aren't something cobbled together out of random pipes they buy at home depot and jb weld to a set of steel rims.

And apparently then unload them at a 2000% markup. :stare:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

shoopeach posted:

I still have fond memories of the time I got lost and wandered into 5th ward.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I uniroincally love swangas and wish they were more popular on the east coast.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

hot sauce posted:

I uniroincally love swangas and wish they were more popular on the east coast.

:getout:

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

shoopeach posted:

I've seen quite a few cars with these rims here in Austin, Tx as well, so it must be spreading.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Swangas and Vogues is a Texas thing at this point. I see them in DFW and Waco too. I prefer donks to slabs but there's something hilariously awesome about cars looking like they jumped out of Spy Hunter.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Motronic posted:

Buddy on a contract job in TX just sent me this:

Do they spin? They should really spin.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Dont they cost some absurd amount of money?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Dont they cost some absurd amount of money?

Apparently more than that car is worth. Looks like over $2k for a set of 4 based on some previously posted links. Add a 5th + tires and you've tripled the "value" of that Buick shitbox in the picture.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

What is it about places named the Nth Ward being a place you really loving shouldn't go to? It was the 19th Ward in Rochester.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Holy gently caress balls, $2000+ for rims you put on a car worth $1000.

I'd be terrified of driving near something with those. I'd be even more terrified driving it - I don't want to be out $500 if I curb something, and I'm assuming those would just crumple and be scrap metal.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

subx posted:

I'd be terrified of driving near something with those. I'd be even more terrified driving it - I don't want to be out $500 if I curb something, and I'm assuming those would just crumple and be scrap metal.

Maybe curb feelers will come back

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

subx posted:

Hey its not easy tripling the value of your car!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

veedubfreak posted:

Pfft. I went to college in the third ward and lived on campus. Ain't no thang. Except when you accidentally drive down Scott St. or get threatened when you won't give "bus fair" to an addict at the only gas station near campus. Fond memories.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Saw a Wrangler today in quite a state. Dunno if it was spacers, longer axles or just ~~sykk offset~~, but the inside shoulder of the tires were at least an inch or two outside the fenders.

People used to pull rims off their VW beetles and fit them the wrong way around to get a wider track for off-highway use. Maybe the same thinking going on?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
On the upside you would probably need a pretty monstrous set of extensions to steal those wheels.

(Or a cordless impact I suppose)

Okay I'll go away now.

----------

Here's my terrible video that I did a terrible job of filming. (350Z muffler on an SW20, moving/under load)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy44PYFsZ2s

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I stumbled across this thing.

http://autoholic.kinja.com/dmc-tuning-germany-defrauds-numerous-exotic-car-owner-509232599

It's a short novella that I didn't really read in its entirety, but apparently there's a really big market for lovely body kits for $350,000+ cars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I stumbled across this thing.

http://autoholic.kinja.com/dmc-tuning-germany-defrauds-numerous-exotic-car-owner-509232599

It's a short novella that I didn't really read in its entirety, but apparently there's a really big market for lovely body kits for $350,000+ cars.

I guess if you're the kind of person who would stick a lovely body kit on their Civic, and you fall rear end-first into a bucket of interwebs money or something, you end up being the kind of person who sticks a lovely body kit on their lamborghini. Money don't buy class etc etc.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drukqs posted:

On the upside you would probably need a pretty monstrous set of extensions to steal those wheels.

(Or a cordless impact I suppose)
Oh God aligning it!?

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

A friend of mine saw this last night

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Man that thing looks busted!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Man that thing looks busted!

The mirror doesn't look too great either! :downsrim:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
When I worked at an unnamed auto retailer with an orange sign that wasn't Advance, at least once a week we would have people come in and buy those little round bubble stick-on mirrors to replace the broken/lost glass from their wing mirrors.

It was almost enough to make me wish I lived in a state with vehicle inspections.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm guilty of doing something similar to that to a friend's car I borrowed recently. At night when you glance the missing mirror spot, it just looks like there are no headlights and the lane next to you is clear.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I've done that while waiting for a new mirror to be shipped to me. I'm sure not all of the people who rig up ghetto side mirrors are just waiting for a new part to come in but there is hope that it is a temporary solution for some people.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Oh God aligning it!?

Pretty difficult distinguishing alignment vs balance wobble.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"
I saw this on my way in to class the other morning.

The dude drat near smacked into the car in the turn lane next to me. Managed to miss him by about a foot though. This next car was in the parking lot of this little strip mall that has a store I frequent. Pretty sure it's the right thread for this.

I didn't manage to get a picture of the dude driving this thing, but I did manage to get a closeup of the real wheels that doesn't really show how bent they are. The tops of the wheels were bent like, 30 degrees towards the inside of the car. Made me cringe a little bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I didn't manage to get a picture of the dude driving this thing, but I did manage to get a closeup of the real wheels that doesn't really show how bent they are. The tops of the wheels were bent like, 30 degrees towards the inside of the car. Made me cringe a little bit.

Wheel isn't bent, that's camber. And wrong thread.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Larrymer posted:

Nope, absolutely the right thread.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Larrymer posted:

drat straight, that's a sweet little bug.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Toucan Sam posted:

drat straight, that's a sweet little bug.

sweet bugs are terrible?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsnap

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Larrymer posted:

Dead-on correct thread.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I think that's precisely the right thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Pfffff