Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The american postal service seems to suck for car stuff. A friend just got these delivered:

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I love USPS. I've never had an issue, and anything shipped with them means I don't have to loving deal with UPS brokerage fees (up to 35%!) when I get it. I just get charged tax by canada post.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

H1KE posted:

Imagine what will happen when you slam the brakes on real hard. I'd love to know what it would sound like if all those tips are hooked up.

Look at that loving gold Buddha statue in the back window.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My radiator shipped through USPS, it came with a huge gouge on it that just so happened to match the box-corner-shaped hole on the outside.

When I got two through FedEx, I had pristine boxes.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jesse James put a pipe organ in a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Lj0htcHo4

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cormorant posted:

Jesse James put a pipe organ in a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Lj0htcHo4

Ha I remember watching that episode... those were happier times for all of us

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: I was wrong

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Crustashio posted:

I love USPS. I've never had an issue, and anything shipped with them means I don't have to loving deal with UPS brokerage fees (up to 35%!) when I get it. I just get charged tax by canada post.
Me too. Only issues I've had were boxing issues with USPS, and that's the fault of the sender. We receive USPS, UPS and FedEx all the time at the shop and FedEx is by far the worst. Whatever bureaucratic setup they have with their delivery men encourages lovely unreliable work, and it's virtually impossible to get in touch with your local warehouses and deliverers. It's like they're in the CIA or something, their phone numbers don't exist, FedEx corporate doesn't know what they do. Bad way to run a company, I think.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

some texas redneck posted:

That's not a Buddha. :colbert:

Though I can't say I can name it either.

That's a very classic reclining Buddha. You can tell because of the curly hair, long earlobes, and long fingers. There are a few good examples of the reclining Buddha in temples in Thailand. e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Pho

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fedex Ground drivers are independent contractors.

Safety Dance posted:

That's a very classic reclining Buddha. You can tell because of the curly hair, long earlobes, and long fingers. There are a few good examples of the reclining Buddha in temples in Thailand. e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Pho

Damnit. Guess I forgot a bit too much of my last humanities class. :saddowns:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

It was sent "package services" which, he says comes with $500 of insurance as standard (Google determined this was a lie.) USPS rep just told me that a 30-day wait is standard before they will even think about declaring it lost.

After hearing all of the horror stories that people have gone through with PayPal (as the buyer) I feel like I'm pretty safe at this point, it's just a question of how soon I pull the trigger on converting it into an actual full blown dispute.

Anyway, this is a boring derailment sorry all.

I think you only have 45 days from the date of the transaction to file a claim, maybe less. Check with Paypal to be sure. And you're right, only the sender can file acclaim with the shipper. I had to argue about that with an idiot who packed a '70 Cutlass dash pad in two taped-together soda cup boxes with a handful of packing peanuts and a chunk of foam, and expected it to make it to me in one piece (it didn't). Never mind that the shipping company would have rejected the claim due to laughable packing, he's the one who has to make the claim. That was the last eBay purchase I made not using PayPal.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

The american postal service seems to suck for car stuff. A friend just got these delivered:

Ouch.

As someone who owned a set of ssr professors i'm not suprised, the barrels appear to be made out of cheese.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I ship everything FedEx with tracking/signature confirmation/insurance. With how shady some of the buyers on ebay are now, I take no chances. If they try to gently caress me, I'm going to get my money back from the insurance on fedex. Also, if you insure something for over 500 with FedEx they will not ship it without checking that it is packed properly, so there's that also as extra CYA.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Crustashio posted:

Purolator is really where its at for shipping from the US to Canada. They offer customs brokerage with their shipping so you actually end up paying less than you would if you pay to Canada Post.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

As someone who works for a company that ships hundreds of small parcels per day using FedEx, UPS, and USPS, the basic story is that they are all loving horrible, none of them give a poo poo about your packages, and whether or not they end up 1) at the target destination, and 2) in a not-ruined condition is an utter crapshoot. The only thing I can recommend is to make sure you're getting as much insurance/tracking/signature confirmation as possible to cover yourself. This goes double for the buyer - I'd insist the seller do all that, as basically once they release it to the shipper, it's no longer their liability (in most cases).

Basically they all suck and you're lucky if you get your poo poo in a timely, unmolested fashion.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Wasabi the J posted:

My radiator shipped through USPS, it came with a huge gouge on it that just so happened to match the box-corner-shaped hole on the outside.

When I got two through FedEx, I had pristine boxes.

My former dealership NEON SIGN came via USPS. Well, at least the frame did. :downsgun:

The Midniter posted:

Basically they all suck and you're lucky if you get your poo poo in a timely, unmolested fashion.

Don't forget: "If you don't piss off the delivery guy, they won't use it as a projectile."

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

West SAAB Story posted:

You are aware that tracking has been hosed for like a week, and will be through perpetuity, right?

What's the backstory on this?

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Basically I'm a massive retard.

The wing was delivered yesterday to a neighbor (didn't think the PO would do this its not like this is a small town) and the neighbor dropped it off late in the evening.

PayPal claim cancelled, apologies and humbleness posted everywhere I talked crap about this... I don't just feel like an rear end, I am an rear end.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

If you haven't noticed there's been a lot of snow falling lately

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

A Melted Tarp posted:

rscott posted:

If you haven't noticed there's been a lot of snow falling lately

Pretty much this. The East coast is perpetually hosed because there is frozen water all over the roads.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Basically I'm a massive retard.

The wing was delivered yesterday to a neighbor (didn't think the PO would do this its not like this is a small town) and the neighbor dropped it off late in the evening.

PayPal claim cancelled, apologies and humbleness posted everywhere I talked crap about this... I don't just feel like an rear end, I am an rear end.

Well it was still way past the time it should have been delivered, so you weren't unjustified in being a upset and worried.

Also I've never heard of something being delivered to a neighbor, is that a normal thing? Our UPS guy leaves everything at our door unless it's signature required, but then again our nearest neighbor is about a quarter mile up the road. We get a lot of boxes - basically if it isn't groceries we buy it online (and I'd buy those online too if I could).

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

subx posted:

Also I've never heard of something being delivered to a neighbor, is that a normal thing?

I live a scant 20 miles from 'suburbia', and it is drat common out here. If it is a neighbor I get along with - they'll usually leave them a note and I'll leave it in the house, beside the door. This need not apply for areas where you don't know your neighbors' first names.

E: My present to myself for selling more Kindles just arrived. TX is getting a new chin spoiler. :dance:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

subx posted:

Also I've never heard of something being delivered to a neighbor, is that a normal thing? Our UPS guy leaves everything at our door unless it's signature required, but then again our nearest neighbor is about a quarter mile up the road. We get a lot of boxes - basically if it isn't groceries we buy it online (and I'd buy those online too if I could).

USPS usually can't be hosed to deliver to the right address. Especially in an urban or suburban route.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Buddy on a contract job in TX just sent me this:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Death Race: Texas.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's technically illegal (I think it falls under the same statute that tire poke does, or it will be on the objects protruding past the fenders statute), but good luck, cops don't really enforce those little safety laws. I'd be unable to drive if they enforced tire poke restrictions :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

West SAAB Story posted:

Pretty much this. The East coast is perpetually hosed because there is frozen water all over the roads.

Frozen water on the roads would not explain why computerized tracking isn't working.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Yeah the package is literally here and the tracking still shows it as being in Florida, scheduled for delivery last week :laffo:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Frozen water on the roads would not explain why computerized tracking isn't working.

"You expect me to scan this and report it when I pick it up? gently caress you, I can't drive faster than 15mph in the areas that WERE plowed."

No report - no poo poo about speed. Except for USPS. They just don't give a gently caress. Period.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not just snow, there could be lots of reasons - ice storms taking out overhead lines, people responsible for maintaining said systems being unable to get to work, etc. Or maybe its just easier to take down tracking than it is to field thousands of calls from people about "why their package is taking so long" :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

este posted:

It's not just snow, there could be lots of reasons - ice storms taking out overhead lines, people responsible for maintaining said systems being unable to get to work, etc. Or maybe its just easier to take down tracking than it is to field thousands of calls from people about "why their package is taking so long" :v:

I'm willing to bet money it's just the latter. "Oh poo poo, snow is about to delay hundreds of thousands of packages, and I hate dealing with whiny assholes" *kicks power cord for tracking server* "Woops, problems with the network guys, you'll get your poo poo whenever don't call me"

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm willing to bet money it's just the latter. "Oh poo poo, snow is about to delay hundreds of thousands of packages, and I hate dealing with whiny assholes" *kicks power cord for tracking server* "Woops, problems with the network guys, you'll get your poo poo whenever don't call me"

I don't understand why you guys are so ready to kick the underlying LOGISTICS infrastructure to the curb when you know, its the driver who not only has to scan the poo poo, but stick it into the QUALLCOMMMZ port to have things uploaded and updated. I know drivers who intentionally didn't do this until end-of-day to avoid being pestered.

I'm also familiar enough with our local USPS folk to know that only one of the drivers bothers to scan things for pickup before returning to the mothership.

FedEx, though, seems to do things as they were told. :confused:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Ouch.

Same thing just happened to me. I had a set of wheels shipped across the country. One showed up in a pretty beat up box and a nice bend in the rim like that, but somewhat luckily for me, it was the one that had curb rash that needed to be cleaned up, so I had the bend repaired as well. $160 later it's as good as new.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope they don't have bike lanes there. Or hell, maybe I hope they do...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't understand why you guys are so ready to kick the underlying LOGISTICS infrastructure to the curb when you know, its the driver who not only has to scan the poo poo, but stick it into the QUALLCOMMMZ port to have things uploaded and updated. I know drivers who intentionally didn't do this until end-of-day to avoid being pestered.

I'm also familiar enough with our local USPS folk to know that only one of the drivers bothers to scan things for pickup before returning to the mothership.

FedEx, though, seems to do things as they were told. :confused:

I guess my area is an anomaly, I cannot remember the last time I got a package that was beat to poo poo or delayed by more than a day, regardless or whether UPS, FedEx, or USPS delivered it. This goes for the packages that are delivered daily at work too, in a different city 40 miles away. I know they update their poo poo regularly because we have had people calling about stuff when it had literally just been dropped off an hour before.

That isn't terrible car poo poo though, so have this crappy picture of a candy-green Skull-Blazer I snapped going through the drive-thru at Wendy's last week.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 20, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

West SAAB Story posted:

The destination driver not swiping the package as delivered isn't going to leave it showing on the wrong side of the country.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Saw this on my way home today...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

The destination driver not swiping the package as delivered isn't going to leave it showing on the wrong side of the country.

Well, no, but I was using USPS as a primary point for data. I have seen USPS take two days to show a pickup as occurring, but my gripe is primarily USPS based.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I just got a box with four shocks and a steering stabilizer today from FedEx that was amazingly beat up, and one of the shocks got out of the individual box it was in and was just chilling out in the larger box. Nothing looks damaged other than cardboard, but come on it's not that hard to move thirty pounds, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

This is in response to the racing circuit noise restriction talk earlier in the thread. My wife and I had a one night layover in Abu Dhabi on the way to Kathmandu and we stayed at the Rotana Yas Island Hotel. Right across the street is Yas Marina Circuit. I think they were testing GT1 cars and it went on all night. My wife was hating the beautiful noise but I was loving it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHIC2Hada4A

Now for terrible car stuff I present some of the taxis of Kathmandu.

This is the standard taxi.

But some of the drivers got more creative with their rides and tarted them up quite a bit.

Extreme!

Adidas

Speed

PORTS

Sports and Racing

Some of the tour buses got in on the action too.

This guy didn't follow the crowd with the white taxi but then again he is HELL RIDER!

This was also a popular motif of a guy chasing a cheetah or vice versa.

Cab relax

GT Sport
Great Toning Sport Car

The back of this mini bus in the distance said:
NAUGHTY GIRLS ALL COCK EXPRESS