Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cruseydr posted:

Needs to trade wheels with the one I saw:

I love how they went to the trouble of putting a Skyline badge on the car, but left the Infiniti emblem above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Antipop posted:

Sorry for the crappy image quality, but it was raining and I was trying not to be too bad of a driver.

Yes, it says HENTAI.

Oh dear god that's a seminole state parking sticker.

THAT GUY LIVES NEAR ME. :suicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

YF19pilot posted:

:oklahoma:

but they put rims on everything here. Wish I got the picture of the F350 King Ranch dully with chrome rims, spike lug nuts, aftermarket decals, and hauling a tandem axle trailer with construction tools and a skid-steer (I was almost more surprised at the lack of rims on the skid steer).

I'm more surprised at a Super Duty carrying a load of any kind.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

I didn't know this before, but VWs have 17mm lug nuts. What is wrong with these people? Why would you put such small nuts on the wheels of a car?

Well, they're actually lug bolts, so the nut size is irrelevant. Plus as far as I know, all the German companies use them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

To be fair that could be said about a lot of things on cars.

Also, they're a pain in the dick to line up in the best of circumstances. I had to do a rotation on one of my coworkers' Mk IV GTI a while back. He's missing the screws that hold the rotors in place on the hubs, so due to the lag of wheel studs they can spin independently. You have to line them up, then keep them in place while you put the wheel on (again, no small feat with no studs to hang it from) and try to stick a bolt through all 3 holes and thread it in without bumping something out of place. One of the front wheels also has a spacer, so that brings it to 4 independently rotating pieces of metal to line up. :suicide:

Gimme a Super Duty with gigantor hubs and 8 studs any day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bang Me Please posted:

VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Saab, Volvo, and some Saturns use lug bolts as well. At least Saab (and I think Volvo) were nice enough to make them 19mm.

Volvo also puts a nice little spike on the hub to line the wheel up while you put the bolts in.

Sweden. :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Well now, if tractors count...

Sorry, owns.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the funny pictures thread in PYF

I've been seeing more and more cars with this kind of exhaust arrangement, I hope it's not the beginning of some new, horrible fad.

See, you know that one's a ricer, because the muffler is pointed straight back instead of pointing upward to generate downforce like it should be. The Tercel knows what's up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

you want pantera then

Knowing the kind of person who paints their car up flag-style, probably more like Garth Brooks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Holy crap, that was seriously insane. That much reckless disregard for someone else's vehicle even at a dick wagging contest is way too far. I was waiting for the rear axle of the Chevy to just be left on the ground.

Would't be the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE-wHsjZ_E

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

Its kind of vague, but it sounds more to me like the supplier of the hood latches hosed up and didn't install the secondary catch that keeps the hood shut after you pop it from inside the cabin. So the line assemblers installed latch mechanisms that were missing a critical component, not forgetting to install a latch at all.

Oh, so you mean after I pull the lever in the cabin the hood just opens, rather than me having to feel around for what is usually an awkwardly placed, completely unintuitively shaped, poorly designed release lever that just barely will pivot on the correct axis to release the drat hood?

What a tragedy. (I hate hood releases on GM products if you can't tell.)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Reminds me of that one pic from Fuzzkill's thread (which I don't have handy, but I'm sure someone does) of his Corolla after he put the blower on it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurune posted:

Here's a case of you're doing it all wrong.

Handicapped hanger, partially in the space in the wrong direction.

...maybe the handicapped in question was riding shotgun?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Didn't get a pic, but a Mustang came into the shop today. Cheap plastichrome pedals and HVAC controls, gauge cluster surround was broken off, tyte cold air intake, "carbon fiber" plastic cover around the hood latch mechanism, and the main thing that jumped out was the fake, stick-on hood pins. They weren't even mounted remotely near where the hood support goes across the front. :psyduck:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

I can't stop cracking up at this picture. Holy poo poo.

I really, really want those chains to be the only things keeping the axle from flying off. Like some kind of reverse bump stop.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

Ahahahaha, oh man, that's a good one. Compared to some of the poo poo I see come through post sale inspection at the auction, those Russians are professionals.

poo poo, in Florida I've seen cars that look like that driving around.

The before pictures, that is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kenshin posted:

Well, it's a Mustang badly decorated like a P-51 Mustang.

Now I wanna see an Evo done up like a Zero for shits and giggles.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

Spotted at Lowe's.

Meh, with that placement and nothing else I could see them being an enthusiast (in Iowa, though?) declaring their love for the brand. If it were where the Honda badge should go it'd definitely belong here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also I imagine there's a lot more black market demand for high-end Honda parts than Mercedes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cenodoxus posted:

That looks like a fun project to try out on an obvious junker.

But good god, I can't take my eyes off those wheels.

EDIT: I'm going to go out on a limb and say wrong thread. But only for the tape... those spray-painted wheels definitely belong.

Did they spray them silver with the hubcaps still on?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

grumplestiltzkin posted:

:stare:
There's no loving way that doesn't violate some sort of regulation or code. If one of the myriad pieces of poo poo half assedly glued to that car falls off while in motion it's a fatality waiting to happen.

And of course it's from Florida:negative:

See what you need to realize is that your last statement there negates the rest. There basically aren't any car regulations or codes here, beyond "Is it yours to drive?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jonny Nox posted:

Owners are going to be complaining about how poo poo their Toyota is after they have to completely replace the rear suspension in a year (the bumper was about an inch off the ground) Not seen, kids wandering around in the back.

God I hate those lovely cargo carriers, my store sells them along with FREE INSTALLATION! Which means the Tech 1's (basically me) get stuck installing them all since we're paid hourly. The smaller ones are the worst, they don't come assembled like the larger ones do so we get to duck around bolting the hinges onto each clamshell half for a couple hours.

Regarding hand position while driving, I've seen a lot of old ladies around me doing the "Double Douchebag" position -- both hands together at the top of the wheel. It looks so ungainly and awkward, and I find myself wary whenever I notice someone doing it.
E:

plecostomus posted:

This is terrible car stuff. Thieving scumbag steals £40k of Snap-On tools, gets caught and goes to prison, then boasts about it on a Lancer forum. Forumites track him down. Hilarity ensues.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=429641

Scumbag complains to local paper about suffering abuse:

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Thief-bombarded-abusive-calls-boasting-Keynsham/story-18461740-detail/story.html

The response on Pirate 4x4 is amazing. Some guys are :wtf: at all the British slang, then a guy comes in and drops this translation:

original quote posted:

Bet he's kicking himself now eh. Coming on here bragging and ending up looking like a complete retard. Nice collection of poof chariot scooters he's got too. Bet he's burned his arse on the lightbulb a few times riding that fat ugly munter.

'Merican translation posted:

I'll wager he's regretting his actions this day. Playing the braggard upon our forums and thusly exposing himself as an imbecile. He also owns a selection of motorised cycles of the type favoured by homosexuals. I summise that on several occasions he is likely to have singed his posterior on his bedchamber ceiling light whilst fornicating with his repulsively-countenanced spouse, due to her obvious adiposity.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 22, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kenshin posted:

Pretty sure this qualifies as terrible car stuff:

My whole brain is crying. :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you need a battery, I think Diehard 75s are vented. I know we've installed batteries in mercs and BMWs that sat in the trunk.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Godholio posted:

Looks like a lexan windshield too. Yeah, that's an "off road only" vehicle that I wouldn't trust off road.

I wouldn't trust that thing on road. I fear the Cherokee, unlike its Wrangler stablemate, may have its chassis unibody rigidity rather compromised by chopping the roof and doors off.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

I would hazard a guess that a high-90s percentile of lifted/bro trucks rarely see anything but tarmac, and even when they do its because they're parking in a field or driving on a gravel driveway.

No see they need the extra ground clearance to hop medians in the mall parking lot okay.

Also MUDDIN'.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I live in FL. Specifically, Lakeland, FL, which is about halfway between Tampa and Orlando. While there are people who like to use their trucks for mudding, 90% of the lifted trucks you see will either be giant brolifts that someone got their daddy to buy for them, or things like this:

:unsmigghh:

:ughh:

At least that one has the decency to trailer it rather than drive it on the road.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

D C posted:

Used to hang out with a group of them just after high school.

One of them was attacked by a dog when she was younger, got some money in a lawsuit that she couldnt touch until she turned 18.

They day after her 18th birthday she shows up in a brand new F150 with a massive pink lift and huge wheels and tires. Her driving a truck that big scared the poo poo out of me.

There was a lifted truck used to drive around my neighborhood, white with pink trim, black rims with a pink star on the center cap (outlined in chrome, of course). "MUD DANCER" printed in bright pink letters on the windshield. Never saw a speck of dirt on the thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What is even the point of putting a small pickup body on a full-size chassis (and drivetrain, presumably)? Weight savings are vanishingly small, the chassis is going to have the same track width, ground clearance and breakover angle (approach and departure don't look too promising in this case either), you can carry less gear and fewer passengers -- why even loving bother? I know the answer is "They're retards who will never take it off road anyway", but still.

Now stuffing a full-size drivetrain into a compact truck, that I can get behind.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Caught this in the wild the other day. Apparently it's a thing? The front end looks like this:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I know about the Superbird, but it strikes me kinda like those Trans Am conversions on the 5th gen Camaro.

E: Besides, if you're gonna do that, why not stick with the Dodge Brand and make a retro Charger Daytona?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coronet XX posted:

The kits can be purchased here.

:psypop: Someone paid eighteen thousand dollars for that kit?!?!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IPCRESS posted:

Remove the particulate filter (if fitted), wind up the injector duty cycle to 11, act surprised when all that excess carbon causes your valves to stick/pistons to melt.

My boss has a 6.4L Super Duty with performance exhaust and a chip. Not quite rollin' coal levels, but it'll belch smoke all the way across the parking lot at least (I've never had opportunity to see it get up to speed). I've been giving him poo poo about it lately, but he's assured me that he knows what he's doing.

Meanwhile, he's replaced most of the cooling system in the past year due to leaks, and is now installing a standalone oil cooler since the factory one has its coolant passages blocked with poo poo. But hey, his priorities are in order; he covered up the ugly beige two-tone paint on the bottom half with camo vinyl. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Anghammarad posted:

Managed to spot this prime example of british engineering (Rover 600, could be a 620Ti) outside Halfords the other day.

Driving this car is not revenge. It's Punishment.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gorilla Salad posted:

Post your biggest wheel gap!

Amateur.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm trying to figure out what all those rear quarter window/quarter panel ducts are trying to cool?

Differential :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

Apparently someone refused to take delivery of an M5 at the local dealership until they filled the front plate holes and repainted the bumper cover. They now have a policy of making the customer aware of the legality, giving them the option to have the plate frame installed on delivery, but the default is not to on any M car. Personally I would want it to extend to all cars, but I'm glad that they do it. I had my bumper cover redone for the same reasons on my white car.

If I was paying 90 grand for a car and they did that I'd bitch, too. Almost as bad as all the dealer badges they stick on the back of cars (my MSP still has the dealer decal on it, hairdryer method didn't work after 8 years in the Florida sun :().

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Que-car?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

See, personally, I'd love a classic Hemi Charger that rode, handled and braked like a new sports car, but take away the sound and it all seems rather hollow.

The rest are valid points, but altering the car in such a way as to lose the one thing that literally everybody agrees is great about American muscle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIlJNzSXUZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

Roll down the windows?

In Florida humidity? Pfffffft.