Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sofullofhate posted:

Tomato, Tomah-to.

edit for content:

WHY those loving cheap-looking poo poo wheels on such a beautiful machine?

http://badcopnodonuts.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2011-02-09-at-5.41.50-PM.png

They're terrible chromed/polished though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

JP Money posted:

Good thing you absolutely destroyed a car just to be a loving idiot. Quality employee right there. You honestly can't work a shovel?

You're totally forgetting the car in question. There shall be no sympathy for the abortion that was the Nu-Tbird.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's dry snow. It'll probably just clean up the interior a bit once you brush it out.

For sure. You could clean the whole thing out with a leafblower in about 10 seconds. Give it a quick wipedown and you'd never even know.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dude that's loving cool

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

enojy posted:

The new Corvette pictures are out... is it still terrible-car-stuff thread worthy? I still hate the rear end in the same way I still hate the new(ish) Camaro rear end. Black roof is unnecessary. The profile view is pretty sexy.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrolet/2014-corvette-stingray-ar143810.html

LT1?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Well there's your problem!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Caught this on my way to work this morning:

Wrong thread

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Fucknag posted:

If anything, the 300 looks more like a RR Phantom:

I definitely remember some comedian referring to it as the Phantom of the Hood, can't remember who though.

I hate that I know this but it's from a Katt Williams bit.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darchangel posted:

If you do anything besides live in a cave and eat nuts and berries, you're defiling the environment. Might as well go big.

That's certainly an opinion.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dad had a early 90's GMC pickup with white paint. Exact same problem. I think the body shop told him it was a primer issue for a few years?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Early 00's Silverado.

I see the quarter panels rusted the gently caress out on those all the time.

#notsurprised

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Kenny Rogers posted:

I'm picturing....as he drinks the beer, the needle moves toward F.

Uhhhhhh

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

kastein posted:

That actually isn't how antennas work
</derail>

Dude, I lurk/skim a lot of threads, but anytime I see a wall of text from you I read it with a focus I bet my boss wishes I had.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

SanitysEdge posted:

Is there any place that provides comparative data on tires that dont cost $200 each?

Tire Rack is pretty comprehensive.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

1. Know what you want to pay.
2. Be willing to walk.

If you don't cover those two you're at a big disadvantage.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I used to get a solid year from RainX weatherbeater. I bought some this year and didn't get 6 months out of them.

None of those tension spring wiper blades seem to work on my windshield, not sure why. Honestly the best have been the OEM ones from Subaru, despite the short life. Otherwise, I do recall a Consumer Reports saying that the most cost effective wiper blades are just the plain cheap ones where you replace the rubber. Doing that every 3 months is cheaper than buying the expensive ones once a year.

Trico seems to suck. I bought some last spring and they streaked when new.

More on this topic - I read somewhere (maybe on here?) that the reason the cheap ones typically work better are because they rotate stock in the store faster than the $40 Bosch ones and as such the rubber isn't as degraded/UV damaged/whatever. I've had okay success buying the cheapest tension blade ones (Trico, etc) and replacing them once they start chattering (every 6-12 months).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Whew I was afraid I was the only one. I don't mind the looks at all, and that black and white one 88h88 posted is great!

And since I like the i3 and HATE the styling of the new Corvette, I guess I'm now terrible car stuff?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

This might be a massive case of confirmation bias but over the last few years I started to hear far fewer stories about people getting severely injured in car accidents and more about people just dying, meaning that you're either going to make it out of a wreck ok or it's going to be bad enough to kill you outright no matter what safety features are in there.

I guess this is ideal? No lifetime of recovery/disability...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Paging Boomerjinks

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/4895891902.html

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bajaha posted:

big enough to shoot a basketball into

I've seen stacks like that. I'm gonna start carrying a spare basketball around...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

wargames posted:

this is one way to keep your car from being stolen.

So just unscrew the shift knob and lift the lock over the top?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

Only older rear-only ABS increased stopping distances. Modern four-wheel ABS reduces braking distances on everything except gravel. Page 4: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811182

But that's compared to full lockup, right? I thought "perfect" threshold braking would be shorter than ABS distances.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

I love the C-HR and I'm a literal automotive designer. The undercuts and surface interaction are exciting as hell to me.
Maybe it will only appeal to designer types though which is a shame. I thought most people would appreciate how out there it was :(
A+ would daily drive.

Glad I'm not the only one, and I'm definitely not a designer.

Every other Toyota currently in production? Not so much.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Which is basically the latter, a magnum w/ 300c front/badges, right?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Wow, saw this about a week ago - pictures are at the Cascade Meijer in the greater Grand Rapids, MI area. Small world!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

STR posted:

I'm lucky enough to have a DIY shop about half an hour away. Rent a lift by the hour, tools included, and if you get stuck, they'll give you a hand (for extra money).

How would someone find if they had one of these semi-locally?!? Sounds amazing

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Once he got the GoPro out didn't he say it actually never touched the bumpstops? So either the springs are so hard that it feels like full compression every cycle or he just has no idea what he's feeling/talking about. I assume the latter.

If you can't feel the difference between stiff springs and a spring rate that goes to infinity, I'm not sure you should be making modifications to a vehicle...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

orange juche posted:

lets go to candy mountain, charlie, cmon, its candy mountain charlie!

Holy poo poo time warp hahahaha

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

Or the opposite, their penis is too big to fit in a Miata so they're sad they'll never be able to enjoy owning one.

Wow UN/post combo

"Miatas are for the birds..."

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Proof that flares + wheels + lowering is virtually error proof.

And before the hellaflush nonsense, I said VIRTUALLY

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

honestly i'm kinda tired of all the videos gushing over how fast electric cars can accelerate. we know, it's a characteristic of electric motors and tremendous weight, it's not news anymore. and on top of that it's a kinda useless trick. i guess it appeals to the onramp drag racers in palo alto? who cares

Acceleration has been one of, if not the defining part of car culture and marketing for decades. This isn't just an EV thing?

Plus they had to shed the granola hippie thing and what better way than crushing [insert hypercar here] in a drag race?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

NoWake posted:

Apparently, to at least one person out there, the Mustang II was just the epitome of mustang design language until the 5th gens came out. Gotta have those round headlights and a hood that scoops air into the gaping maw!

To be fair if you wanted to show a Mustang design lineage that ends in the retro styled ones then leaving out the Fox/SN95 years would make it look more cohesive...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Is it fair to say the Lambo isn't terrible, but rather the "suspended possible projectile" attached to it on a public road?

We probably need to define the scope of the thread title lol

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

turdpile sultanate oneoff, right thread. tracked skyline, wrong thread

This for me please!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I brought my car into the dealer to get something checked and they gave me a 2024 Mercedes C-Class as a loaner.

Every.loving.control is either behind or on a touch screen, and all the steering wheel buttons are capacitive, what in the gently caress. In the space of an hour I have rapidly come to hate this car because of that.

Because there were literally no other cars at an airport Enterprise I once ended up in a fairly recent BMW 3 series of some description. Horrible for all the reasons you describe. And the lane departure system definitely tried to crash the car on the highway a few times. Super cool.

My folks had an e46 and an e39 and they were sublime. WTF Germans?!?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so question for the thread, what's the most ergonomically 'right' interior you've been in?

Easy - 8th gen Civic (06-11 I believe). Had one as a fleet car for work and it was perfect!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

dissss posted:

Back in the olden days Sony used to do a stubby stalk type remote thing which you could stick to the steering column - great for cars which didn't have steering wheel controls

I have never flashed back to being a kid reading Crutchfield mags so hard before - thx!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Large Testicles posted:

i don't think i ever once bought anything from them but goddamn did i love perusing their catalog

My brother bought one of those bazooka base tube things for his Grand Cherokee. Due to some crazy factory stereo setup it was drat near impossible to get it setup and someone from Crutchfield spent probably 4 hours on the phone with him sorting it out (including calling Chrysler if memory serves since this was too early for every wiring diagram to be available on the internet).

Crutchfield rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darchangel posted:

God drat that car still looks so good. I got to see several in person at a "new car" car show here in Dallas when Vector was still a going concern.

It's the custom made up-sized wheels. Like 15 -> 18 or something (I think DM mentions it in the vid). Makes a MASSIVE difference IMO