Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

some texas redneck posted:

There's an "RV Park" that's really more 70s/80s mobile homes and very-broken-not-so-mobile RVs near the house, I pass by it pretty regularly and occasionally through it.

When I read this, I picture northbound 75 in Plano.

For content, I see the car every week and it's covered in manufacturer stickers on both sides behind the front wheels(as one does), but as of the last time I saw it, it was still on stock wheels.

I'm skeptical about its time around the ring. I see enough ring stickers on cars and it annoys me far more than it should so I stuck a Neverbeen sticker on my truck... just so everyone knows my Nissan Frontier has never made a lap in Germany.

vvv Yes, exactly.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Huh. I'm an idiot. I glance at it once a week and it registered in my head as the ring. In 1 google I was proven wrong.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry for the blurry, it was dark, but..

No, the perspective isn't off - I could have almost driven my car under that... thing. Just wish I'd been there to see how the driver got in/out. :stonk: I could have walked under it without bending over very far.. :clint:

There's a pretty awesome Rolls Royce that pops up in our lot twice a week though. :swoon: I'll try and snag a picture for the not-terrible thread next time I see it.

That looks like Preston and Belt Line. Is the mystery RR black with a vanity plate?

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

:tinfoil: I always forget how many goons are in DFW. I'm impressed that you ID'd the intersection from one very blurry/dark photo of a parking lot..

I didn't pay attention to the plate, but yeah, it's black.

hahahah is that creepy? I can stop. I used to live in the apartments behind that building back when there was a CD Warehouse and a convenience store at the end.

I wanna see the RR. There's one here I can shoot and post. It's not terrible though.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

JP Money posted:

No really, when you get inspected here they get in your car, drive 10 feet and hit the brakes, honk your horn and pull it in to replace the sticker. It's a joke and takes maybe 5 minutes TOPS including registering the sticker and scraping the old one off.

I must be doing something wrong. Even the Mexican used tire place that only accepts cash checks checks everything, including the license plate lights and connects to the OBD port. I had a bad fuel sending unit and didn't have the desire to drop the gas tank to replace right then and thought I could get away with clearing the code. Queue the 10 minute broken english on their part and broken spanish on my part trying to figure out why he kept telling me "no bueno."

I saw a chrome wrapped Panamera today on my way to the office. I took a pic but with the movement as the light turned green and all the reflected light it just looks like something is completing its descent from the heavens.

What is the fascination with chrome? I don't get it. It's high maintenance, causes unnecessary glare, not to mention it looks like poo poo. If it was a matter of having a functionally tough coating on metal, like in gun barrels I'd understand but it's just people trying to be flashy? or having pseudo status? Real, triple plated chrome is kind of expensive and very durable but none of what you see is actually that. My brain is powering down just typing this.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

JP Money posted:

In TX? I know all counties aren't the same but here we have what are called Quicker Sticker's. You literally roll up and they get you out ASAP. I took my motorcycle there and they wouldn't even allow the employee to touch it since they didn't wanna be liable for a drop. They had me ride it the 10ft and hit the horn, turn signals, etc.

15 bucks is all it costs and you're out in less than 10 minutes unless it's crazy busy. Then you're out in 15 minutes.

Yeah, TX. I need to find something like that in DFW. As far as my motorcycle goes, it gets passed without so much as a second look. They make sure my tail light and blinkers work and they hand me a sticker. That probably has more to do with the fact that it's a 1980 Harley converted to a rigid with straight pipes that they don't even know what to do about it, but inspection is literally more time spent paying than on the actual inspection. Though a few places have tried to impose modern rules on it and swear it can't be inspected as is, demanding I have exhaust on it and whatever.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

People like flashy, attention-getting cars; scroll up for why dull silver is a boring and less-safe color than something obnoxious. I got a vivid red car because it's a bit flashy and obnoxious in the bright Miami sun.

Every car I own is some form of black, but my second choice would be gray/silver, but I also know when my lights are supposed to be on, and when fog lights are appropriate. To each their own, but gently caress chrome.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

From the first minute, nay, second one of riding a motorcycle, my biggest fear has been everyone else on the road, for the reasons you describe.

I still have this fear in healthy doses but more and more it just makes me angry. In rush hour, on my way to work on my bike I had someone veer into my center lane from the right. I couldn't get out of the way without giving up more of my lane to no end and eventually getting squished between them and the guy on my left so I kicked their driver's side door. The look on that guy's face was priceless. I'm pretty sure he thought he hit me, and got back into his lane in a hurry. I felt bad for about half a second until I realized that while I was riding as aggressively-defensive as I could, in rush hour you can't always stay ahead of the pack. Sometimes you just have to let your presence be known and if the horn, being in direct line of sight, or the loud rear end straight pipes weren't doing the trick then the sound of something hitting his door was just as good.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I (and a few other people I have given the link to) have purchased this OBD2 adapter and use it with torque no problem.

I bought one of these a while ago to use with Torque running on the cheapest bluetooth tablet I could find. What I didn't take into account is that the ODBII port on an 07 Nissan Frontier is right under the steering column. Figured that I'm smart enough to get in and out without doing any damage. I was right too. That is until the next day when I was in a rush to leave and my knee knocked the dongle out and broke the port. No idea how easy/hard it is to change out an OBDII port, but I get a little sad every time I look at the sad tablet I bought just to run Torque.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Adding a ton of weight and spending a stupid amount of money on an item that really does take away one of the largest aspects of an old car really does alter the major factor of owning an old car. And honestly I do somewhat feel the same way about some of these old rear end cars that are basically nothing but a brand new car with the shell of an antique put on top of them.

And wow, you sure sound mad about it.

old cars were loud. I feel like there's no reason not to stick some technology in it to keep it from sounding like a small plane. I have a 51 ford coupe body over a 96 s10 and it has plenty of generic sound dampening biz in it. before it sounded like it was ready to take off, now it just sounds like a throaty v6, because that's what it is.

I agree that spending $$$ on dynamat(TM) is needless considering there isn't anything special about it compared to other similar materials but I'm all for being able to listen to the stereo without turning it up to 110.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

:tinfoil: BIG BROTHER

Not my photo, but this is right here in DFW.

I like the cameras watching each other. :v:

This is a perfect example of Texas excess. HP has what? 1500 people in it? I've seen 5 marked Tahoes hanging out in the parking lot together. Alternatively, Quinlan has about the same number of people and recently had a vote on whether or not to add a 4th officer. Park Cities is a 2sqmi speed trap, and they don't even hide that fact.

I have a severe hate-on for that part of town.

EDIT, tho in their defense that pic was taken on... Mockingbird, right? That street is a giant clusterfuck and if I were a municipality I'd record everything on it just to avoid liability from the driver, but mainly from the sue-happy residents.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

It's actually a parking enforcement vehicle.. in UP :v: The cameras are used to verify how long a car has been parked in the same spot - over 2 hours? You just got yourself a ticket... even if you actually left that spot for an hour and came back.

HP, UP.. like there's a difference. haha. I noticed it was UP as I was typing but obviously, :effort: so it's probably Hillcrest and not Mockingbird. Either way both of those towns' revenue streams are basically from traffic tickets. I don't know how many times I've been pulled over for doing less than 5mph over the speed limit.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Action Bronson is awesome. Dude sounds like Ghostface.

Showed up for terrible car poo poo, stayed for Ghostface sounding white guy. After spending the last few hours listening to him on Spotify, this is declared to be awesome.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Xarthor posted:

I don't know if this exactly fits the topic but a buddy of mine was bragging on Facebook that he's now slammed his car so much the wheel is sticking out farther than the wheel arch. Seems like a good way to gently caress up the wheel arch of your car, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is a car I see around Allen and on 75. That guy drives like a shitheel, and I don't think it's on bags. The last time I saw it driving you could barely see the tires below the wheel arch.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Swangas and Vogues is a Texas thing at this point. I see them in DFW and Waco too. I prefer donks to slabs but there's something hilariously awesome about cars looking like they jumped out of Spy Hunter.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

nitrogen posted:

But this is OK because this is my car. There are several things that are terrible car stuff about this, but I dont care because I'm a huge nerd.

In creeper news, I've seen you on 190 before. Tho I guess it's not too creeper-y cuz I'm pretty sure we know some of the same people.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

They're illegal in Texas too, but that doesn't stop every rear end in a top hat on a sport bike from putting one on to avoid paying tolls. To me, they're too easy to spot which means it's too easy to get caught with one.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

nitrogen posted:

Every time someone says "Rotella" my brain automatically parses it as this:

I think that's just what Texas does to us.

As far as Rotella goes, isn't there a penalty for using it in a gasoline engine in cold weather? I'm too lazy to have seasonal oil, but on the other hand I like saving money. My truck takes 5w30 and oil isn't expensive per se but I'm a cheapskate.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Somehow for that part of Plano, I'm not surprised. He probably just left GUNGEARTOGO for some overpriced gun accessories.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Stay classy, Dallas.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Open container gets you a ticket???

It can.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

skybolt_1 posted:

SKULLS FOR THE (other) SKULL TRUCK!

What is it about Massachusetts that breeds these things? This is now the 2nd one I've seen in the past year.

It's not just Massachusetts. In Texas it's dudes who can't afford something decent but a high mileage truck-ish suv thing made by a defunct manufacturer is cheap enough that they can afford to plaster it with a variety of Bone Collector, Oakley, firearm companies, and salt life stickers. plus too much chrome and frequently more skulls than the skull throne itself.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Alighieri posted:

Met a guy who was an rear end in a top hat when I was in high school with him. Turns out he is now an overweight cop for a small suburb in Dallas and he informed me he loves to pull over minorities just to gently caress with them, so this all checks out.

I'm not a minority but based on a lifetime of experience living in DFW, this is the norm.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Aside from that hood ornament, it's pretty rad. Like a Hot Wheels made real.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Helipad? Pool? Water bed? :hellyeah:

Why is it terrible?

Because it's been left to rot. :sigh:

Depends on the state.

In TX, green isn't really regulated - you sometimes see it on ambulances and fire trucks, but you also see it on security vehicles and tow trucks. If you put blue lights on, or red on the front, you're gonna have a bad time.

Anything but red(aside from the rear) and blue is fine in TX. Underglow is technically illegal, but there's a Dallas Stars(not team owned) truck rolling around that's lit up in green and yellow on the top, front, and in the exterior door panels.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

"excuse me, I'd like one bag of gas please."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I like the what-appears-to-be-tailights facing the front. It's like the car is so confused that it might actually need to signal braking to vehicles in front and to the sides.