Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

I know this is from a few pages back but theres an explanation for this.

Sunoco ran a contest where if you were caught on their CC cameras buying gas at their stations you could win the equivalent of gas for a year or whatever. The only requirement to entry was having a sunoco bumper sticker on your car.

Genius marketing really. They got tons of free advertising.

A local radio station does something like this. They will "pull over" cars with the station's bumper sticker and award them "free" gas. Problem is the sticker looks like it hasn't been redesigned since the 80s and looks tacky as hell on every vehicle.

Every shitbox running around town has at least one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Falkenbok posted:

Someone's overestimated how much parasitic load an alternator produces.

(I know about the noise, still pointless)

:stare: is that going to charge at idle? What I mean is: don't alternators generally need ~2000RPM to start charging? That pulley ratio is...low. (assuming that's a street car)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think this is a good way to transport bumpers from LA to Phoenix.

I thought that was a horse. I scrolled down too quickly, and thought I saw a horse, kicking and thrashing, tied to the top of a Cavalier. :stare:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

How's that? The car high centered. The suspension was doing everything it was doing the same as it always had.

I seem to remember the consensus last time was that the car suddenly went into some sort of "oh gently caress" emergency protection mode. That was many beers ago, however.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

^Might want to edit your last sentence out there. :)

Heh, I'm not PWI; it was just my way of saying "it's been awhile."

The driveway needs a giant "DEBT" label with the limo being labelled "USA." I'll take my Pulitzer, now.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 19, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The eight (8!) clip on air fresheners lead me to believe the interior of that care regularly smells as bad as it looks.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Judging by the accident that vehicle's already tasted blood. It will not rest until it takes the next owner's life. :tinfoil:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Camaro is so ugly and gaudy anyway those wheels don't really hurt much.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Camarion looks like one of the unlicensed cars from Live For Speed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Eh...I'm of the opinion that a nice interior is important when that is what you're going to be looking at the entire time you drive the car. Gauges, especially. The Corvette has always been built to a certain price point, though, and what you give up in interior refinement you get in performance. Parts-bin or not, GM interiors have been getting better across the board.

For Christ's sake: compared to the C5 interior you're practically being cradled in the lap of luxury. :v:

Does the center tach design remind anyone else of the Viper's tach?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Not too horrible compared to a lot of the rest of the thread, but you might as well put a sticker on the bumper that says "I have abused the poo poo out of this car."

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

An SUV has an identity crisis:

\/\/\/ Yeah, still got a cheap laugh though. :shobon:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

bung posted:

C4 wheels on a Z3.

I actually sort of like this except for the fact the spokes go in two different directions on the same side. :wtc: Did they do that on the C4? (Google says no they did not.) I guess you could get that by rotating your tires in an X pattern.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 15, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Spades posted:

Given this is NZ, a workable (with factory-original oil leaks) MR2 Turbo can be had for $2000-$3000; for $10,000 you're in beat up R32 GTR territory.

"I've got it up for sale! I'm really trying, honest."

dissss posted:

Sadly that kit is fairly common here, there is even another SW20 with it listed

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/mr2/auction-564623487.htm

Reminds me of the :haw: Celica.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Aren't Aveos known for the timing belt breaking at like 50-60k? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. It seems with a car that cheap a timing belt going on an interference engine would nearly total it. :v:

My favorite reverse location is the down-and-over left of 1st thing that VWs have.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ditch the "ZX2 COOL" banner and the hood scoop and it's...well it's still terrible but the paint doesn't look horrible and it looks like it's been taken care of. Hell lower it an inch and throw on some decent wheels and I'd drive it. :suicide:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

The old saying about the fool and his money has never been truer.

But on the other hand, the Jalopnik article did come to the conclusion that a good amount of their victims were non-native English speakers. It certainly explains how they can fill their sketchy-looking website with barely passable English and still manage to rope people in.

It's also kind of lovely to think that the only people who fall for this scam are the people who probably can't afford the real deal, so they're hurting their victims a lot worse than if it were some rich sheikh looking to fill the last spot in his 40-car garage.

On the subject of sticker abuse:

Because gently caress VISIBILITY.

Want to see this and the Libertarian mobile get in a wreck. :unsmigghh:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The giant tachometer is played out by now, even the crew that add a giant tach to their vehicle with a stock tach because gotta know those RPMs, brah, but...

Is that a speedometer? That's a first for me. I need to contact the company that makes it and suggest they market them to senior citizens. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Devyl posted:

Those rims cost thousands of dollars and people are killing for them

What a terrible article.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Apparently Justin "The Beebz" Bieber drives (has) a Fisker Karma. That's all I really needed to know. That said I didn't know it only got 20mpg. I mean I know super cars get all around terrible mileage but drat.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Also all the batteries chooch the weight up (thanks AI) to over 5000lb. 5297 according to Car and Driver.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Fun fact: in the Fokker Tri-plane, the engine and propeller are bolted together, and the engine rotates :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6xX0zSvp7w

Rotary engines are awesome and discussion of them is probably best suited for the other thread but a rotary (not Wankel) swapped car would probably fit in this thread what with the total loss oiling system and all. :v:

If I recall most rotary engines have only a few throttle settings (WOT, half throttle, and idle for example) and throttle is varied by which magnetos are on.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 7, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I saw a completely standard Focus yesterday with a sticker saying 'NOT BUILT ON BENEFITS'. And again, I had to wonder... what of it was built? Unless there's some mental 4WD V8 conversion underneath or something, in which case, fair play.

This actually sounds more like some :911: anti welfare poo poo to me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is there any truth to the rumor that red/yellow/brightly-colored cars are more expensive to insure?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

26" wheels on a classic truck :(

Ehhh. 26" wheels are way too big for this truck and probably just about any car outside of a Peterbuilt but the tiny thin little spokes make it look a lot worse.

I think 20 or even 22" wheels would look ok if they had thicker spokes or were a slotted/D window variation.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

NoWake posted:

Raiders!! :black101::respek::black101:

:colbert: If you're going to go all the way you really should go all the way and start with this:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

From Facebook:

Nice overspray, bro.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I like to think of it as the evolution of the drive-in movie theater: the personal drive-in movie theater.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chinatown posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. Driver clearly had no business driving that car like that especially considering how close spectators were.

No kidding. Just clutch in and stab the throttle a couple of times so everyone can hear it, though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This is the clip art my local shop uses to represent belt replacement:

Well there's your problem. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Maybe they're getting confused with old belt-drive farm equipment.

My first thought was of old flat belts for agricultural/line-shafting use. That made me remember the Corvair's belt routing.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I saw this at work the other day. Just your run of the mill stupid bumper sticker and not all that interesting but terrible nonethelss:

:freep: I DON'T BELIEVE THE LIEBURHL MEDIA :freep:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I've also seen "I know where my soul is going" on a Kia Soul. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Das Volk posted:

That looks like a quick way to injure yourself without thinking. Also, I have learned from this page that Alaska is full of terrible people.

See this scar? Caught my hand on a moose antler grabbing third. :c00l:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

DropShadow posted:

One too many rear-enders?

I bet this rear end in a top hat "brake checks" people on a regular basis.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I'd like to carve "THEN STOP DRIVING SLOW IN THE PASSING LANE" into it

Handicap tags. You know that car has never seen over 55.

Fucknag posted:

Am I bad for brake-checking people who tailgate me on single-lane, double-yellow-line roads? :ohdear:

Yes. Pull over to the shoulder if/when you can and let them pass if you don't want to speed up. No need to try to instigate road rage or cause an accident.

Don't get me wrong tailgating is rear end in a top hat behavior as well but two wrongs and all that...

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 17, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

wallaka posted:

Some of you catch a case of the stupids over the smallest things. Shut up.

This is terrible.

Mr. Lucky has to be an ironic nickname.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I've seen this every day at one of the medical clinics I pick up at and finally got a picture:

Someone bought a Murano CrossCabriolet.

\/ It's a women's health clinic. \/

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Well to be fair its the correct place to take that abortion.

:sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BabyMauler posted:

Hahahaha its always the OBGYNs that have the worst cars out front. I do courier work south of Boston

Hey courier buddy. Are you independent or do you work for one of the big lab companies?