Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wamsutta posted:

I had 20% tint all around on my TSX and I did the same thing when backing up. It was really sketchy. Would not do it again. I went with 35% (CT legal) on my new Grand Cherokee.

This is why my current car is only 30%. My Mom's truck has like 5% on the rear window, and she has backed into at least 3 things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

some texas redneck posted:

I'm pretty sure 1st gen Altimas came with duct tape and extension cords from the factory for just that reason. :v:

I saw a pretty awesome Civic coming to work this morning, but seeing as I was driving, no picture. Roughly 60% of the rear bumper was made out of duct tape. I can only imagine she caught it on something and tore a giant hunk out of it after backing into god knows what. The light on that same side was made out of red celophane tape. Along with this the front bumper on the driver side was also missing a huge chunk.

I wish we had safety inspections out here in CO instead of just stupid emissions. Some of the poo poo I see on the road amazes me.

Also, I got my first chance to run Boomer off the road on Friday, but he was 2 lanes over and I couldn't get to him before the 225 exit. :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What I don't understand is why diesel prices have gone so out of control in the last 3 months. Gas has gone up maybe 10 cents, diesel has gone up over 60. I blame Exxon. Somehow they keep managing record profits, I wonder why....

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I saw "820 YAY" on my way home last night. I wonder who the lucky guy is that got 420 YAY. Especially here where the demon weed is basically legal.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
One of the guys where I work has a Juke. He traded in a first gen Prius for it. So in that aspect he upgraded in looks. The best thing we have come up with for the headlights is that it looks like an alligator with just it's eyes above the water line.

As far as ugly cars go, check out the Honda Crosstour. That thing is disgusting. I want to punch the driver every time I see it in the parking lot.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Who cares about blind spots. No one looks when changing lanes anyway. Some fuckstick cut me off yesterday on the way to work without even checking my lane. But it's my fault for driving a gray car I guess.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

I saw a guy driving an altima with a sheet of cementboard (literally, 1/2" sheet of cement with fiberglass mesh embedded in each face) tied to the roof with a single loop of twine through the doors... and a beach towel to keep it from damaging the paint.

It was flapping up and down wildly at the front edge and beating the roof senseless. Just as I passed him it finally snapped and the front half folded over, tore off, and slammed down on the hatch lid.

I can only imagine what that did to his paint, hell, it probably dented the sheetmetal.

Do we have any insurance adjusters around on the forums? Would be great to hear some stories of how morons try to explain huge fuckups when they want insurance to pay for it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

That's less of an "oh gently caress I can't fit" as just a suspension malfunction.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I somehow inherited a set of horns like that when I moved out here from Texas. I think I'm going to strap them to the front bumper of my 58 bug when I get it back on the road.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
1100 a month after taxes and insurance :( I need to refi so I can get out of this mortgage insurance horseshit.

The sad part is, unless you live in the ghetto, a decent 1 bdrm apt is close to 800 a month anyway.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Looks like someone with a low mileage 7.3 hoping to capitalize on how much the 6.0L Powerstroke sucked and how you can't make clouds of smoke with the new 6.4 thanks to the DPF.

As much as I hate the DPF on my car eating a solid 20hp and 5mpg, the fact that douchebags can't run smoke tunes on their trucks anymore almost makes it worth it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to crush a very repairable 57 Bellaire. I know I've said this in the past, but growing up in Houston, there was a very large VW graveyard. The old fucker who owned it would not sell ANYTHING. Mostly because a ton of it was stolen. Well, when he finally keeled over, the place got foreclosed on, and they crushed EVERYTHING. 100s of cars. Split window bugs, tons of buses, lots of money.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

uncle_skin posted:

I think this is the right thread for this.

At least they have human proportions and no wheels. In bad taste definitely, but the airbrush job is very well done.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

grover posted:

One time as I was cruising on the highway, a concrete block fell off the side of a trailer one lane over from me, slid into my lane, was struck by the SUV in front of me, and exploded, showering my car with concrete bits at 70mph. Not only did I get his license plate, I got a photo of the loving pickup truck & driver including the rest of his trailer full of poorly secured concrete blocks.

The state police refused to even take a police report because nobody was hurt and there was less than $2500 damage. Even when I called back with a body shop estimate for $5k worth of damage (windshield and bumper needed to be replaced, and about half the car needed to be repainted), they refused to do gently caress-all about it. Believe their response was "poo poo happens, people get hit with rocks off trucks all the time, quit yer bitching and suck it up." Insurance company wouldn't do poo poo about it, either, without a police report. Frustrating as hell.

You have a lovely insurance agent then. Comprehensive is made specifically for this type of poo poo. Something random happens to the car but it isn't technically a collision. Also, now you know to follow the trailer to it's destination and handle it with a tire iron (shitthatdidnthappen.txt)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ah, I had to eat a "collision" claim a few years back when the fuckhead driving the snow plow at my apartment took out my hood/grill. Didn't count as an at fault because it happened when the car was parked, but I still had to eat the deductible and it's still a "mark" on my insurance. Still better than paying the 2k out of pocket.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I saw some awesome CARma on my way in to work today. It was a crappy old eclipse, painted exactly like the car from the first :rice: movie. Except he had apparently rammed into something so he had a lovely black primer hood on it. He also had severe damage to his manifold as the car was on the shoulder smoking like crazy as he tried to pour water into the radiator :) Couldn't pull my phone out in time.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Wrar posted:

drat near everything I saw in Australia had a hitch on it.

All over Europe too. For some reason the same car I drive is rated to pull 2500 pounds in Europe. Here I think it's rated for 1000. It's because people in the US are loving retarded and would have no issues trying to pull something twice the actual rating, kill the transmission then try to go get it warrantied.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

The exact same idea went through my head when i saw those pics. Park correctly in a spot, with the front left corner of your car ~2cm from their driver's side door.

Kudos for actually doing it, and I'd love to see some pictures.

If you really wanted to be a dick, you call a friend, and park in front of and behind them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mighty Horse posted:

Its not broken, its rotating weight reduction.

Looks like someone went to Discount tire.

(fuckers have so far stripped 3 lugs in 3 separate hubs out of 2 cars)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They snapped one of my wheel studs on the Neon off last year. I know it happens sometimes but between that and their never improving service when it comes to the actual car (watched them drop a friend's truck half way off a lift) I just end up putting the car on stands and bringing the wheels to them.

My problem is I don't have a 2nd vehicle to take my gear to them. I just make sure to double check all my lugs exist after each time. The first time, it was cold as gently caress so I didn't stand out and watch them, so they got away with it. Both times on the new car I was standing there watching them. They paid for both hubs to be replaced. Pretty sure they lost any sort of profit by having to pay for 2 300ish dollar repairs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bang Me Please posted:

I like the ones that have lost the key they forgot they had and then show up later asking you to take the old set off and install a brand new set of the same things which are, naturally, keyed differently.

Pretty much every tire place in the world has every possible lock anyway. At least gorilla locks. There's really no reason to spend the extra money on wheel locks other than to deter some shitheel kid who thinks he's a thug. Anyone who wants your wheels is gonna get them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Why the hell are early-to-mid-'90s Hondas so tempting to steal? :psyduck: What am I missing?

Easy to steal. Tons of aftermarket demand.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This thread makes me happy the only time I ever owned a Honda was in high school and was able to get rid of it after only 2 years. My god that car was a huge pile of poo poo. 85 Accord, the air conditioner blew up 3 days after I bought it. The brakes sucked rear end, it was made out of tin foil. Slow as poo poo too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Octopus Magic posted:

Yeah man, all Honda cars should be judged on your experience with a crapbox you had in Highschool.

And the high theft. They are still made out of tin foil even today. Look at a honda wrong and it dents.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JP Money posted:

Thank god VW's don't have any reliability problems like that cheap rear end Honda poo poo.

I said nothing about reliability. It was just slow, couldn't stop for poo poo, dented too easily and had no A/C.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JP Money posted:

Well it's not a problem anymore when transitioning into the greener pastures of VW ownership. Count yourself lucky!

I've had a VW of some sort for the past 18 out of 20 years, and was only stranded twice, both of which were by my old ACVW bug. Once due to a bent axle that stripped the drum, and another due to a short in the coil wire. So nyah. Most VW problems are caused by stupid people who think you can drive 50k without changing the oil or doing anything to the car.

Of course now that I have said this, my TDI will poo poo out the fuel pump on the way home.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kansas? I swear sometimes when I drive through there I'm afraid to pass because I can just see the wind blowing a truck over on me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Weinertron posted:

Towing in the US is done almost exclusively with pickups capable of towing huge tongue weights and huge amounts in general.

It's because everyone in the US has tiny wieners they need to compensate for with big trucks and suvs :) Also, everyone here is fat.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
They made a limited run, and they MSRP for something like 70k.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I was just going by what I could remember from the last time it cropped up in AI. If I recall someone said they saw one at a dealership for that price.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

More like TinyWienersLLC.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Saw this on my way out of the Aurora courthouse.

There was a car on either side of it so I couldn't really get a good side shot. It had polo emblems all over it too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DrPain posted:

I will never understand people who put rims and custom paint on trucks.

:texas:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

einTier posted:

Saw this wonderful monstrosity a little over a week ago. No less than seven American flags on it, because you know, America.

Why they didn't just buy a car, I have no idea.

That eagle just looks so disappointed.

Also, I think the rear of the van is a Zergling.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This seems like the appropriate thread for this rant. I'm in my grace period for renewing my plates, because I'm lazy like that, and of course I go to renew online last night, and because my car is a diesel, I HAVE TO GO TO THE loving DMV. Welp, so much for getting anything accomplished after work. Last year when I bought my car and registered it took almost 4 hours sitting in that shithole.

/rant.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Boat posted:

Depends on your definition of "better" I suppose. They probably handle a poo poo ton better than your standard trike, but those same standard trikes can also have huge bench seats for land whales instead of having to straddle a more motorcycle-like seat.

I'm personally a fan of all of these new cruisers with what appear to be training wheels on them.

Basically this poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDxCMXnJzU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

Yes, I suppose veterans who had limbs blown off in Iraq SHOULD be banned from the roadways; at the very least anything that isn't a slow, four-door grandma-mobile.

Where did I say anything about veterans? I've seen multiple fully able bodied people riding 4 wheeled motorcycles. Projecting much?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Are these guys for real? Or is it just a gimmick to get a tv show?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Sometimes having 19" 235/35 series tires scare me. I can't even imagine driving on a tire with literally less than an inch of sidewall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Safety Dance posted:

That's like 1.3 inches of sidewall, though, isn't it?

It's close to 2 inches. I run at 40 psi because the DWS has a really soft sidewall and rolls too much in turns.