Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Maybe the thumbnails look good, but when you blow it up to full 1920x1080 it looks pretty goddamn blurry and awful.

No, it looks exactly like the console versions, which is good enough for me.

Did you ever look at Dark Souls consoles? That's what the game looks like, especially on larger TVs. When everyone was throwing fits, I assumed they meant it would cause some severe blurriness to the point it'd be nearly unplayable. This just won't look as pretty as it could on PC hardware.

From the attitude of the thread so far, I'm going to guess most people really don't want to see you guys bitching about a feature they don't give a poo poo about, for a game you won't play. Maybe rather then throw a fit, ya'll should go post in SPUF about this heinous affront the PC gaming? Seems more your style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
JOLLY CO OPERATION~!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Oh my god.

See a white door thing on my way out of the tutorial area, go back through it. See the Abyssal Demon from earlier down below me, stand around for a few seconds wondering what to do, then he jumps back up, destroys my ledge, and kills me.

This is the best game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So every bonfire I find will give me 5 Estus Flasks right?

And if I "Kindle" them, they'll boost up to more flasks?

Kindled the first fire I found in Blighttown, and it's now giving me 10 Flasks every time I go to it. Wondering if I should be mainly focusing on Kindling the main fires for each zone, or easy to get to ones or something.

Does being human get you any inherent benefit? So far seems like Kindling everything would be a solid use of Humanity.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So this game doesn't have any strange autofail things right?

Most Japanese games tend to love stuff like this, so I'm a bit wary. I don't want to pump 30-40 hours into this game, get to the ending, then get told that since I was using Undead Souls that I found to get lots of souls for levels, I'm a horrible person and I could have been saving them, so I get the "bad" ending. Or that since I said no to Solaire when I first met him he'll actually die now and I'll get the "bad" ending 30 hours from now.

Also how viable would it be to pump Resistance/Endurance to 20ish, pump Strength/Vitality up to 20ish, then pump Resistance/Endurance/Strength up to 30ish. I just want to be the knight, I don't need spells, or fancy magic, or fancy dodge moves besides roll. Just wondering what my stats will be looking like by the endgame here before I just start putting everything into specific things. Again, I'd just rather not lock myself out of a section of the game because I don't do enough damage since I've been putting everything in to End/Res.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

There are tons of missables, but nothing that will straight up prevent you from completing the game. Undead souls are fine, but never eat a boss or firekeeper soul. And (kinda big spoiler)all the NPCs have individual story arcs with multiple extremely depressing failure states if you don't help them.

I somewhat know Solaires from a friend make sure to kill all the bugthings in a specific zone. Should be 8-9 of them or something. Just wondering if thats it for his story, or am I automatically hosed since when I first met him, the first prompt that got brought up when he asked for help was "No".

It let me say yes a few seconds later, but I'm worried. :ohdear:.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have 12 Humanities, and just beat the first boss.

This seems a bit off.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Can you post your specs? Just interested.

Dual Core 2.8 GHz Processor

2 gigs of RAM

5770 ATI Card.

Runs like a dream.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Do I only get one White Soapstone, or should I be dropping this stuff everywhere I go?

How does Co-op work anyway. Drop it near bosses and wait for people to call on me? Drop it anywhere and wait for people to call? How exactly do I do this.

I want to be Grossly Incandescent.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I have 22 humanities.

I'm human.

And I'm staring at this bonfire spamming the Kindle button.

It keeps telling me I have no humanity though.

Is it a bug, or does it mean Liquid Humanity? If thats the case, how exactly do I get that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So just did some ( very ) basic number crunching on the side here.

Vit/Endurance both give half the defense stat of Res, but in return also give more Health/Stam.

I was originally thinking of mainly focusing on Res/Endurance, but have noticed I'm starting to hit really high diminishing returns on defensive stats, even now around SL20.

Decided to mess around with a character builder I found online, and found that bringing Vit/Endurance to 40 give me roughly the same defensive stats as Res/Endurance at 40/40, due to the massive diminishing returns that start to happen for defensive stats. And this just gets worse as I throw more points in to Vit/End, or start putting points in to Strength to cover weapons.

Now, I'm thinking from an ingame standpoint, Res could still possibly be better at the lower levels, as Estus Flasks heal for a set amount, so more health doesn't equal better character, you'd want less damage taken over more health. But as you get to higher levels, wouldn't more Health/Stam be a much better insurance then a bit more defense, especially as you can theoretically buy stuff to get rid of Poisons?

I'm theorycrafting a bit much for this game I think.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a Blacksmith or something in Burg/Parish I can use to start upgrading my weapons?

I can get past the Boar by the gate just fine, but those guys with the capes, and especially the guys in the churchlike building just do not take any damage from me with my starter zone weapon. I'm assuming I either need to buy another weapon, or start upgrading this one.

I have all these shards, just no idea how to use them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I know people want others to go Dark Soulsing blind, and thats kind of what I'm doing now, but I'm wondering if there are any weapons people can point me in the direction of, so I have side stuff to try and accomplish while I do wander around like an idiot.

I'm just wondering if there are any good Spears/1Handed Swords I can get my hands on in the earlier stages of the game that are any good. Not game breakingly good like the Drake Tail thing seems to be, just something that I can feel good about putting my upgrades onto, without having to throw it away half an hour later.

I'd normally look at the wiki, but I'd probably just end up finding some stupid sword that will break the game and make all encounters easy until NG+ like the Drakes Tail sounds like it is, which is not at all what I want. I want Dark Souls to stay evil.

e: Co-op with specific people is actually pretty simple. Just have both of your characters join WotW through the monk guy next to Firelight, then put down your summons in a strange out of the way place, again, next to the monk guy near Firelight tends to work.

Since the game launched, I've been playing coop constantly with my roommate using this method, since we either just have less servers so it's easier to connect, or whatever I don't know.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Does the -Faith for Sunbros go down for all Co-op Boss fights you participate in? Or just ones you are a Phantom for?

I want to be a Sunbro, but am still picking up the ropes of the game, so I'm usually summoning people, rather then putting myself up for summons. It also doesn't help that I'm playing a tanky style guy without heals.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

the next few areas will be a joy.

You loving lie. :mad:

I just hit Depths. I don't like this zone at all. It's not a fun place to be, these mobs are not fun to fight, and it's a long trek back to this area since the only key seems to be on a miniboss thing.

I miss getting killed by dickass skeletons with shields.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Yes, it seems to be. I think it might be an issue with the GFWL servers or something. A lot of summonings failed, and while I don't have trouble getting summoned, either not many people have learned the value of co-op or I'm not seeing signs as often as I should. Day 1 in the Parish was insane, probably 15 signs and new ones popping up all the time, now in Anor Londo? It's Solaire or you're on your own. Which is disconcerting, considering I helped a few people through that fight but get to go it on my own instead of letting someone else get some souls and humanity with me.

Less people on the PC, most of them still trying to figure out Parish.

I'm behind you in progress, and I just went from seeing tons of Signs in Lower Burg next to Capra and no signs in Depths last night before I went to bed, to Depths being covered in signs this morning.

I'm always down for Jolly Cooperation as well if anybody needs me for Capra/Gargs/future bosses. Think I'm SL24 or so and in Depths right now, although I won't be home till later.

Does the Heal Miracle work in co-op? Or am I totally at the whim of the Host.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone be up for some Jolly Cooperation in about an hour? Heading home from work, and want to coop my way through the Depths/Dragon/Blighttown if possible.

I'm around SL24/26, and a member of WotW, so shouldn't be to hard to join me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arujei posted:

Sure, I'll have my sign (FriarRJohn) at the Depths bonfire.

Haven't unlocked Depths Bonfire yet, but on my way down again, now that I think I know where the key to unlock the door is, shouldn't take me to long.

Unless those Butchers respawn. :mad:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Funkalicious posted:

Nope, I am a Sunbro. Not sure if the same thing applies for them, but I figure I should have been invaded at least once by now, I have like 40 sun medals.

Sunbros/Princess Guard/Way of the White have a higher chance of finding coop, and a much smaller chance of being invaded ( except for Forest, but thats due to Forest Hunters. )

On PC at least, I'm noticing Sunbros seem uninvadable, as both me and my buddy got invaded quite often while outside of a Cov, but the second we joined Sunbros, we haven't seen a single invasion, even in Forest Hunter lands. On the other hand, I also think we see ALL THE SUMMONS for co-op, as entering a boss room while human results in the entire floor just being nothing but summon signs.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
gently caress yooooou Gaping Dragon.

I have a +4 Winged Spear, a nice set of armor, and Solaire and Lautrec, why are you murdering them so quickly, why are they not casting awesome spears of death at you like they did the Gargoyles, and why am I only hitting you for 18 damage with my nice spear and 24 Strength.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Spears are dex-based, not Strength, but your problem is most likely A mage above that you missed killing, who now buffs the Dragon to insane levels and makes the fight nearly impossible

I'm pretty sure the boss at the bottom of the DLC is fully impossible at my current level. Holy everloving poo poo he makes the rest of the game look like Adventures in Barbieland

So wait, what do you mean that Spears are Dex based?

I've been putting all my upgrades onto my Spear, and all my points into Strength.

Is it just it'd work better off Dex, or am I doing nothing here?

Ideally, I wanted to put most of my points into Strength so I can use a Greatshield, a few points into Faith for Heal, and then the rest into Endurance so I could hide behind my Shield. From the sound of it though, I'd have to put points into Dexterity as well to boost my Spear attacks?

Goddamnit Dark Souls. Oh well, guess I just wasted 4 Shards upgrading my Spear. Time to start leveling the Zweihander.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Whats a good strength based thrusting style weapon?

I was relying so heavily on Spears because I liked the ability to fight things in corridors, which seems to be a weakspot for most swords. Trying to find something that'll not screw me over if I get jumped.

The Warpick on Andrew is labeled as a "thrust" weapon, but have a limited amount of souls right now, and don't really have the option to experiment much.

Also where is a good place to farm Shards? Want to level up my armor/weapons before heading in to Blightown because ha ha ha ha ha gently caress whatever those big guys are right off the bat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

If you mean thrust as in "hide behind a shield and poke", you're out of luck, there are no strength based thrusting weapons.

If you mean "thrust" as in "does stabbing damage", well, that's a bit different. The claymore, for example, has a stabbing attacking. Most straight swords also have on, but straight swords are bad because they scale badly unless you go Dex+BSS/Dex+Silver Knight, so forth. Pretty much, there's nothing stabby for strength. I say embrace your enforced different advantage and get a Great Axe.

More thrust as in "I'm standing in a hallway and attacking you because my weapon hits vertically." rather then "I'm standing in a hallway and every other attack my sword hits the wall and you stab me repeatedly in the downtime."

It's my pet peeve in Souls games.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do you make something Holy anyway? Suppose it'd be a good thing to start working on as I'm nearing the end of Blighttown.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been playing this game consistently since October and I still refer to upgrade chart regularly.

So grind slimes then?

That doesn't sound as fun as dying repeatedly trying to kill necromancers.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I feel like I SLed up a bit much.

I'm SL37 right now in Blighttown, I feel "ok" about my current build, but ideally would like to start putting more points into Vit/Strength soonish. I'm currently putting all my points into +5ing all my Elite Knight stuff, as well as putting more points into my Zweihander/Crest Shield before I move further into Blighttown. I'm not seeing ANY Summon signs though, so I'm wondering if I just haven't hit the part of Blightown that people put signs down in, or if I'm overleveled for the zone.

Ideally, I'd like to end my first run at SL80ish, with 40 Vit, 30 End, and 34 Strength. I wasted a few points bringing Dex to 15, and will probably put 2 points into Attunement to unlock another spell slot.

After that, I was hoping to just pump Faith on my NG+ run, and grab Heal/Spears from Sunbros, hitting 50 Faith at around SL119/120ish.

I feel good about my build right now ( outside the Zweihander, I don't like 2handed stuff, and only like the Dex based 1handed stuff, but want to use Greatshields and have tons of Health, so seems like using Dex stuff is out of the question for me. ), but as I said, not seeing any summon signs, and seeing people saying they are taking out O&S/Anor Londo/Blighttown at 15 or so, which makes me curious as to if I did drastically overpace everything.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

SO they can go onto PVP/Co-op and murder people and watch their e-peen grow. I Summoned a dude earlier today for the Capara demon, and all he did was stand still, got hit constantly and never lost a sliver of health. I guess now I know why.

I doubt stuff like this will last long though.

Dark Souls wouldn't be a very long, or fun experience without it's crazy difficulty levels. Cheating your way through the game would turn it from a 34-40 hour long slow burn to a 5-8 hour annoyance as you just instakilled everything.

Without the fear, much of the combat falls apart.

It's the same for these invader hackers, invasion is already hard enough due to GFWL/nobody wanting to be Human since they just started, once they kill 2-3 people, they'll get bored with how it's set up and go back to doing other things, because they lack that fear/hatred towards others the base game would normally give them.

Stuff like this in the long run will just be useful for people who want to try new builds, and would normally use the Forest grinding spot to instead adjust a few numbers, although honestly I don't see the PC community being as strong/large as the Ps3 or 360 communities past the end of even this month, which is why I'm focusing on finishing Dark Souls before I move to GW2.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I love how every zone has it's own thing to teach you.

Burg taught you to die.
Taurus taught you to exploit the falling attack/environment/avoid boss attacks.
Parish taught you to backstab.
Gargoyles taught you JOLLY COOPERATION.
Lower Burg taught you to always watch your back.
Capra taught you to go upgrade your poo poo.
Depths taught you to avoid overextending.
Blightown teaches you that souls, and the collection of them is a pointless thing to work for since YOU CAN ALWAYS DIE IN A SECOND to a bridge moving, or a dog SHOOTING FIRE AT YOU.

I really don't like Blighttown, and wish it would stop teaching me. :suicide:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, Blighttown is swarming with invaders.

Anybody want to help me fight Quelaag? I get what I'm supposed to be doing here, but it seems like it'd be much more fun with a goon helping out. SL36ish.

And for the shortcut you get from joining the Chaos whatever Covenant, does that persist through NG+, even if you leave them?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Arrrrgh.

gently caress this, 8 invasions in less then two hours, and not a single one I could beat. None of them were cheating thankfully, but it's incredibly annoying to have people stunlocking you with fast daggers, hitting you with instant kill magic while standing on a platform 3 levels up, or waiting in the midst of a bunch of beserkers you have to pass before jumping you.

Only one of them actually fought me one on one, and he beat me by being better at backstabs, which I can respect at least.

I really don't like the invasion aspect of the game. I like the idea behind it, it adds a risk factor to staying human, offers people a chance to get additional humanity outside of farming/coop, and provides a fun PvP aspect to the game, in theory at least.

But it's so drastically different to the rest of the game, and it's very philosophy, you can build a character specific towards murdering other people, and since those other people are building to fight slow bosses, it's usually a very onesided fight. And then they'll likely never see you again. There is no "I just need to get better!" or "I need to go upgrade my stuff!" or "I need a ranged weapon/more magical defense for the next time I try this fight!" just the bitter resignation of "I better go try to fight this guy's cheese build and die so I don't lose my e-face/-e-honor."

Everything else has that growth aspect to it. You just need to go upgrade something, or boost your stats a little more, or go get some Holy damage, or learn to backstab/dodge/block/fall attack. You die because you personally are not learning what the game wants to teach you. Invasion doesn't teach you poo poo though, besides the fact people don't like fair fights.

Grumble Grumble bitch bitch I guess.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Can someone explain Pyromancy to me?

Being a knight was easy enough, I need strength and a bit of dex to use weapons, need lots of endurance and vitality for staying alive/mobility, and maybe some Faith to cast miracles.

But what does Pyromancy draw from spellwise? I thought Int, but it looks like it actually doesn't get much in the way of gains from Int. Would it just be better to focus on Dex/Attunement for a Pyromancer?

Learning how absolutely focused this game is on Fire, makes me want to make a Pyro Knight, just have never played a caster before in games, so no idea what I'm doing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hahahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahaha.

:(

I spent something like 2 hours last night struggling through the Depths, hating every minute, dying to stupid things like the rat packs, and falling down holes. I forced myself through it, and felt so great at the end.

Today I made a new character to play with Bats, and ended up going ahead with him, got to Depths and just murdered the Butchers with fire, went down to the Giant Rat, killed him with fire to, then slid down to the Gaping Dragon entrance, Bonfire key in hand.

Took me maybe 5 minutes.

I love you Dark Souls.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
E: NEVERMIND. I loving DID IT. I FEEL AMAZING. gently caress YES DARK SOULS.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 28, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How hard is it to run to the Blacksmith in Catacombs?

Or rather, I guess would it matter if I took a +10 Spear and tried to upgrade it? My damage with that thing is not where it needs to be for Sens, yet I want to make it a Fire Spear. Wondering if I boost it to +10 if I'd break my chance of turning it into a Fire Spear, and would have to go Lightning or what.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Somehow Anor Londo with it's bright towers and clean streets is a hell of a lot more intimidating and scary then everything I've been through in the past 20+ hours. I miss my falling apart medieval towns and decaying poverty ridden shitholes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think I've made my game unwinnable. :allears:

I'm in Anor Londo with a +5 Fire Spear, +5 Lightning Spear, +10 Baldurs Shield, and +5 full Elite Knights Set. I also have a +10 Pyromancers Glove.

I have absolutely no ranged weapons outside of the 3 Light Crossbows I picked up as junk however, and absolutely no ammunition for them even if I wanted to use them.

I've died 27 times now just trying to get up to that ledge covered by the two Archers. I've yet to figure out a way. I can get up there just fine since my shield has such high stability, but the second I try to kill either Archer, the other one starts pounding arrows into my back.

I get what I'm supposed to do, take out the one guy using the snipers perch near the skinless demons, but I don't have the range to do it.

Maybe if I try Iron Flesh I'll last long enough? Hmm. Running out of ideas to throw at this.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Raw still sucks, Lightning I believe does like 50-75 less damage (And does less physical than lightning damage now as well), Fire seems unchanged, +15 appears unchanged although I think the scaling on some weapons might have been changed, I could swear Falchion +15 had better dex scaling on console.

It really doesn't seem like lightning is very good anymore, most of the major mobs in the game have rather heavy lightning resist, or at least they do on PC, and without the sheer damage it had over fire, it just seems second best.

I'm using a +5 Fire Winged Spear, and everything seems to be weak against it, which is boosting it's damage past most of the people helping me with giant 50 Strength Weapons. Ornstein/Smough for example just kind of melted when I fought them this morning, although I died to being an idiot and still need to take them on after work. Yet whenever I pull out my +5 Lightning Spear, it just plinks off things.

I swear though my Fire Spear is scaling off my Pyromancy Glove. I put 5 points into the Glove earlier, and noticed my spears damage rocketed up afterwards, and it seems to be doing a much higher damage per hit then my Knights +5 Fire Winged Spear, even when fighting the same mobs. I'm tempted to install the trainer just to mess with it and see what happens, but I know if I did, I'd be tempted to just cheat through the game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I'm still way behind reading this thread but I want to bitch about not being able to light a bonfire when you have a friendly phantom summoned. I'm in anor londo just before those archers and I get a nice dude who rocks everything up to the bonfire, lo and behold, I have made no progress because I can't light the drat fire. And, to top it off, I couldn't even try to get him killed off because he kept healing himself and pushing towards O+S. It was my first attempt at this section (I played it in the PS3 version) and I think I can get past it solo, but that is such an annoyance. Why was this dude trying to co-op O+S at the base of the rotating tower when there is a bonfire inside of the freaking castle?

Black Soulstone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anybody want to have some fun with Ornstein and Smough?!

I set aside today to be my "Fun in the Catacombs/with Nito day!", instead it's been 5 hours of straight O&S fights, work, then so far another 3 hours of Ornstein and Smough. Ideally I'd like to kill these bastards before I need to go to bed.

I have no problem on stage one, I just don't have the damage to seal the deal on either Super Ornstein, or Super Smough with my plinky little spear, and Solaire is no help at all this fight. :argh:

I think I'm around SL53/54.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

Sure, I can help you out

I'm just chilling near the fog gate, if you want to drop a sign there.

jonjonaug posted:

Have you tried not summoning Solaire? Summoning phantoms increases boss health, just so you know.

Please tell me you are joking. I've lost to those to so many times because I brought in a phantom who proceeded to do gently caress all and die to Smough or some such nonsense. Or to Solaire spamming lightning spear at Ornstein. Or to Solaire attacking Ornstein before Smough, causing me to have to fight Super Smough.

• Locked thread