Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Gunzerker the only class that can dual wield? 'Cause that seems like a thing that I would want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Just a heads up for anyone wanting that deal from Green Man Gaming.

:havlat: Today is the last day to get the game for $36 with the code GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G. It will expire Monday morning at 7 AM EST. :havlat:

Note: GMG has 25% vouchers all the drat time, so if you decide to wait, it probably won't be long before another one pops up.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 10, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

It looks like only people that bought today are getting the keys.

Confirmed not true. I got my key and I pre-ordered like 4 months ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LittleBob posted:

I'm not sure if this :filez: to say, and if it is I'll delete it, but I am going to have to unlock this early over VPN because the wait is killing me.

Please be aware that your achievements may reset completely once the EU version is released. This happened to me with Sleeping Dogs.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

Normally I'd agree with you (Hell, BL1 was the first game I ever used this trick with) but earlier in the thread someone claimed that Valve has recently updated their rules/TOS to prohibit this.

I have no idea whether that is truly the case or not. I hope not, as I was planning on unlocking early until I saw that. I'd really like to get confirmation as to whether or not it really has been prohibited. My account is worth somewhere around 3k at the moment and don't fancy losing it all, even if the risk is small.

Anyone have any concrete info regarding this?

Like I said earlier, I did it with Sleeping Dogs as well as Darksiders 2 and I haven't had any problems (save the achievement thing). They recently changed the authentication system, too, so you only need to use a VPN once to unlock the game and you don't have to have it running every time you play it after that.

There have been no confirmed bans over this and you definitely don't need to be in offline mode, either. If they had changed the ToS to reflect VPNs, you can bet people would be waving red flags around on every page of every Steam-related topic. I'm pretty sure they don't even ban discussions about it on their forums.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 14, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

Ok, I think I'm just about convinced. You can understand why I'm apprehensive about risking an account with hundreds of games attached to it though, despite my having used this trick a number of times before.

Sure, but as long as there's no money or modification involved, no one will care. Using a VPN is totally legal and many normal users use them for non-shady purposes, too.

I think if they suddenly started mass-banning people, there would be some kind of warning or precedence for it.

Edit: To put it in perspective, there was a goon (whose name I forget) who did get into trouble with Valve for gifting games across regions to circumvent regional pricing - a bigger offense than unlocking via VPN, as it is specifically against the ToS - and he only got hit with a "you can't gift to anyone anymore for x amount of years" probation, which I think was later repealed, because it caused quite a stink.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 14, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LittleBob posted:

Oh, that's cool. Can I not just leave my VPN connected and play online that way? I use Steam a lot for chat and so on.

You don't need to be in offline mode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, you're right. Just know that it hasn't happened yet and it probably won't and decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

No amount of precautions and/or offline mode is going to help you if it does, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ten_twentyfour posted:

You will need to be logged into the VPN any time you're going to launch the game. Once it's running, you don't need it.

No, after they changed the way Steam IDs work this summer, you only need to authenticate your game once and you can launch it without using a VPN again.

• Locked thread