Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

I am seriously wondering if Sutter makes them husband and wife instead as his warped take on an injoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Well, I've watched a show where a blind tongueless man getting punitively prison-raped was not even the most offputting thing in the episode. I forgot how far SoA can lean from fun trash to ugly trash. I might even put it on the backburner until I am out of everything else to watch, because I have absolutely no confidence in Sutter to push the school shooting button. At least he got to cross another grotesque sex fantasy off his list.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
I know it's been commented on, but honestly my favourite part was Nero and Jax selling an improbably fickle prostitute on the sex-worker Shangri-La that is Diosa. You get to book your own hours! Choose your clients! P.S. this is apparently news to you but no other American workplace has rivalled our mortality rate since the loving Triangle Shirtwaist Factory.

Other highlights included the dainty little Tupperware eyeball container, the soundtrack that contextually resembled Gemma croaking out an ode to a dead Jewish pimp with a giant foreskin, and the rapidly escalating dramatic demands on that one non-expression Abel has.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Half-assed ending to a cheap-rear end show. The kind of dramatic weight the show feigns versus how little the writers give a poo poo about exploring the ramifications of anything remains, to the last, incredible. We know the club itself are by now mind-slaves to Jax's cult of impersonality, but how will Gemma's death land with the handful of people who it would still shock or hurt? Who gives a poo poo! How will swastika-carver Jax's noble legacy of 1%er integration actually work out? Well, they'll cherrypick the black MC president, act like not making him prospect is a benevolent afterthought, restrict his participation and beyond that, gently caress it, SAMCRO triumphs over Jim Crow. How does Jax's apparent self-loathing at the outlaw life even begin to square with his constantly professed devotion to the club? *fart noise*

The future of Kurt Sutter putting out a show set in loving medieval England with all the bargain-basement production values, broad stereotyping, and mindless plotting we've gone through is in its own way totally thrilling, but for me these last two episodes tipped the balance back from entertainingly inept to maddening. Even this show deserved better.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

JaddaCaddra posted:

I was always a little confused about that too. I guess he just felt more passionate about Vikings than he did SOA.

Vikings season 1 had already filmed and aired with Logue in the last episodes, and for some reason Sutter and team thought they could get all they needed from him before his contract came up to fly back to Ireland for season 2. Also I don't know how cast salaries compare but some Googling reveals that Vikings season one cost about as much as SoA season 5, i.e. between $2 and 2.5 million per episode. How SoA's 90s-daytime-action-serial style production cost that much is a mystery to me. They sure as gently caress weren't hiring 8000 extras for their action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

DarklyDreaming posted:

Vikings has a stretch of previously empty Irish countryside set aside just for the show. Having to film inside an active city with people in it means permits, irregular shooting schedules and other things that can really eat into a budget.

How much of SoA was filmed in an "active city" though. If it were like Mr. Robot where they're straight up shooting in Times Square I'd be on board but we're talking about a show literally set in generic Californian sprawl and still over half the exterior shots must be of a barn or a parking lot. Honestly I am more persuaded by the cocaine theory

• Locked thread