Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Late, but Pasha Passionfruit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

I came across the name Ralph Alpher while proofreading a cosmology article the other day.

But do you know about the alphabet paper?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpher%E2%80%93Bethe%E2%80%93Gamow_paper

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

There's an Anaconda in Montana, as well as an Opportunity. I once saw them on the same road sign and demanded that we visit the Anaconda Opportunity, but I was rejected :smith:

Fun fact: Lucille Ball used to say she was from Anaconda, but she only lived there for a little while. Just like me, she's originally from upstate NY and then lived in Montana for a year. And we both have fake red hair. And we both (I assume) find Desi Arnaz super hot

e: Oh, also, speaking of amazing place names:

Punkeydoodles Corners is an unincorporated hamlet in southwestern Ontario, in Canada, known for its strange name[1] and frequent sign theft. It shares a boundary with something called "East Zorra." Zorra is "bitch" in Spanish.

"Bitch" or "vixen"? And all I have to go on is my knowledge that Zorro is "The Fox", not "The Dog". Could be an Albany expression, I guess.

Anyway, where I work I keep running into virtue names. Not just Faith or Grace, but Confidence and Peace (not to mention Paz).

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

Actual question: How do you keep track of your relatives when you follow this naming scheme? I don't mean following family trees back generations, I mean like "I need to give this letter to my second cousin Bjorn who lives in the next town. I don't know his father's name or where he lives, so just ask around for a Bjorn who has a sister with the last name Helgadochter." Or "I owe Hans Heroldsen twenty guilders. No, not Hans Heroldsen son of Herold Jansen, Hans Herolden son of Herold Larsen. No, not that Herold Larsen, the one whose father was Lars..."

If Hans wants his money, he'll find you.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Heh, Kyle.

Seen where I work: Simone Lagree.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Just seen: man with the middle name Question, which find pretty cool, not to mention a good tool for winning bar bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

L Frank "Oz" Baum had a Jinjer.

Edit: no, it was Jinjur.