Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
What's with the hilariously made-up names? Don't you guys have a law on names? Over here, the government has to approve the name, and you can't go much overboard - you can't use names that are too foreign, like John, for example (we talk Spanish), but you can name someone Karen. No excessively made up names either - can't name someone Worpblox, they just won't let you put the kid into the civil registry, so he won't exist legally unless you choose a normal name. Changing a letter is usually fine, except for example if you were to name someone Herica/Eerica/Ericaa instead of Erica. Erika is fine, in that example.

EDIT:

Actually, here's our law:

http://tustramiteshoy.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ley-del-Nombre.pdf

quote:

(... you can't inscribe ...)

1) Names that are extravagant, ridiculous, contrary to our traditions, that express or signify political or ideological tendencies, or that may cast doubt on the named person's sex.

2) Foreign names, except those spanishized through use, or if they're the names of the named's parents, if they're of easy pronunciation and have no proper translation into the national language. (blah blah diplomats and missionaries are an exception)

3) Last names as first name
4) First names identical to other living siblings
5) More than three names

Pochoclo has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Iluvlortab posted:

I present to you: Moon unit and Dweezel Zappa as evidence that there is no law. :colbert:

Just posted my country's law on the subject, feel free to use it to cut down on retarded names, no need to send me money.

Seriously now, on the one hand, I'm not too keen on my country's law because it's rather strict, but on the other hand, apparently in the US you can name someone "Dogblaster Millenium Punkrock", and it can be a girl too.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jojoinnit posted:

I always wonder why people who have a *son style last name would use it for a first name. Why would the Paulmans name their son Paul?

That's a throwback to patronymics, which was a popular naming scheme around the dark ages. In Wales, for example (and many other places) you had Corbyn ap Bran - Corbyn, the son of Bran.
Saxons in positions of power sometimes traced back their lineage all the way back to Woden.

Being someone's son was a big deal, so we still have echoes from those times in the form of *son.