Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Hi, I made this in GameMaker Studio this weekend in a gamejam. I hope people enjoy it, any comments would be welcome on whether it's worth working a bit more on.

It's called Project1Too Many Nodes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j4fi94pyv5ph7s/TooManyNodes-Default-1.0.0.0.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88366863/TooManyNodes.zip

Since during judging, a lot of players were apparently confused despite ingame instructions, some hints:

You control the GREEN DUDE.
You are trying to prevent the RED NETWORK from reaching the boundary. Touching the network yourself is inconvenient and disorientating, but having the network reach the boundary is a game over.
The Red Network grows towards you when you are nearby, and away from you when you are far away.
Each time you use a bomb, the game gets harder, so use your bombs at the last moment, where they can do the most damage. (Ideally, near the source).

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

aerique posted:

Fangz posted:

Hi, I made this in GameMaker Studio this weekend in a gamejam. I hope people enjoy it, any comments would be welcome on whether it's worth working a bit more on.

It's called Project1Too Many Nodes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j4fi94pyv5ph7s/TooManyNodes-Default-1.0.0.0.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88366863/TooManyNodes.zip

Since during judging, a lot of players were apparently confused despite ingame instructions, some hints:

You control the GREEN DUDE.
You are trying to prevent the RED NETWORK from reaching the boundary. Touching the network yourself is inconvenient and disorientating, but having the network reach the boundary is a game over.
The Red Network grows towards you when you are nearby, and away from you when you are far away.
Each time you use a bomb, the game gets harder, so use your bombs at the last moment, where they can do the most damage. (Ideally, near the source).

Have you got some screenshots or a video perhaps? I'm not going to run a random binary on my work machine (not to mention I am on Linux).

Not sure how well it will run in Linux.

But some screenshots:

Luring nodes away from the boundary.

Use bombs to wipe out the enemy.

The game gets a lot harder.....

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OtspIII posted:

Was this Indie Speed Run? Did anybody else make anything for it?

My screenshots are on another computer, but I ended up making a local competitive multiplayer game (Fire Farm) where you play two nature spirits running from a fire that spreads more quickly the more you've walked over a square. It's got issues, but it was also my first game jam game ever and I had a whole different half-done platformer due for my studio class just afterwards, so I'm happy with it for being completed on time.

Nah this was for a local student thing. I didn't win. I kinda want someone to play and give me a second opinion...

Especially whether I should work on it some more and tune it better, because personally I liked it and my playtesters liked it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

This is a super interesting conversation, as I've particularly noticed that the great indie game success stories all seem to be projects that were started by a very talented artist. The idea being that an artist can put something together that looks great, and use that to drum up interest and raise money, then once that's accomplished you can always find the resources to get programmers and build the game.

As a programmer who's a terrible artist, this makes me sad. If I ever got a project far enough to the point that I felt like I could put together a kick-started and make a marketable game out of it, the main thing I'd need fund-raising for is to pay an artist to make amazingness out of my lovely programmer and placeholder art. It doesn't seem like that would ever really work, so I guess that path is not for me.

I think the best avenue for success for somebody like me (and I know there's others in this thread in the same boat) is to just build something and put it out there and see if people like playing it. If the game built up a dwarf-fortress style following, then something like kickstarter or greenlight might be able to ride the wave.

There are online repositories of CC and similarly copyleft art. That could be a start, at least.

EDIT:
The other possibility is to find a collaborator with art skills, so that your development is a full partnership, instead of a commissioner-artist relationship. Good luck making that work though - there seems to be many more programmers than artists around.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 26, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

HelixFox posted:

Pixel art is more like architecture than drawing which makes it a great art style for programmers as you can really take your time with it and analyse exactly what you're building and why each pixel is going where it's going. All you need is knowledge of some basic colour theory and a decent palette and it's not hard to put together something that looks quite striking.

Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, it's laudable sentiment, the idea of not giving up and trying to learn a skill. I just object to the sense that pixel art is somehow inherently easy to figure out as a programmer. (and somehow like architecture?) It's not, and the prevalence of bad pixel art (and in general, bad game art) everywhere is proof of that. You aren't going to open up paint and be Derek Yu.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

EDIT: enh it's a personal coding style argument.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 26, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Myron posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, though I'm not too happy with the glancing blow method either...

I think it's fine if you give the player the right amount of visual indicators. For example, an aiming cone to suggest the shot dispersion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Coldrice posted:

I'll keep playing with it :) A lot of artists hate excessive dithering so I took a little risk on this one to see how it'd look.

Can you show it in motion?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Orzo posted:

Okay, I need some advice. This is important to me because I want to make an indiedb page very soon, but don't want to do it until I have the name of my game down.

The working title is 'Super Obelisk'. I've posted here about 100 times about my progress so you've probably seen it (blog here if not). Since the blog is mostly technical, it doesn't really go into the gameplay too much except that it's obviously inspired by top-down Zelda games like LTTP.

In the game, you will travel around an island overworld finding temples and dungeons and whatnot. Each major area has an 'Obelisk' to be found which serves as a central point--health refill, item refill, and save point. But the catch is that Obelisks can be powered up to provide benefits in a certain radius, and that radius can be upgraded to help you travel further and further away (although you'll need to step out of the comfort zone frequently). I put Obelisk in quotes because, while the first one will be a traditional stone obelisk, the rest might be themed for the area you're in--picture a giant cactus for a desert, or a snowman for a winter area.

So, my question is, what do you think of the name? Personally I think it looks good on paper and sound awkward out loud, so I don't know whether or not to keep it. The artist I'm working with more or less feels the same way. Other people have given me positive feedback and say they like the name. I'm having trouble deciding!

I don't really like the name. Like the previous person said, the name Obelisk suggests to me a puzzle game, or something like Sentinel, not a game primarily about exploration and leaving the safety of the savepoint. If I was naming the game, I'd consider that in this design the player interacts less with the obelisk itself, but more with the changing *boundary* of the zone of influence it exerts. I think your name should aim more to invoke this concept, and catch players' imagination that way.

How tied up are you with the word 'obelisk', anyway? Given that you've said that you aren't even using obelisks in the majority of the game? How about thinking up a fancier, more evocative name for the thing?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 23, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Angryhead posted:

Github's second month-long game jam is about to start!

More details on the site.

I'll try to take part and make something while learning Unity, if I find the free time (and motivation), next to work and school projects.

Man, why does literally everything (Nanowrimo, Nanomango...) happen in November? I'll never find time to do this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cheston posted:

I've been trying to figure out what the scale and camera scope should be for the game I'm working on, so I looked at games with similar level design and noticed that "normal" rooms in Gunpoint and Mark of the Ninja are the same height (three times the height of a character), but that Mark of the Ninja's camera covers a ninth the area. It's pretty neat.

Has anyone here made 2D levels of buildings, or know of games similar to the above two that would be useful to look at? I don't have any jumping/wall-climbing, so there's no need for high ceilings, but I don't want the rooms to look tiny or crowded from a moderate camera distance. I'm gonna take a look at how Gemini Rue handled this, and more examples would be really helpful.

Mark of the Ninja and Gunpoint are very different games in terms of what they are trying to do, or evoke. What sort of game are you making?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AAA development probably (pulling out of my arse here, but I think I'm right) employ most of their staff in content creation, and QA.

Honestly, learning to draw is not that impossible, if you don't hate it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 6, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DStecks posted:

Coding, making art assets, and testing; if we're just talking about raw numbers.

I'm hardly an expert on the industry, but as far as I know, design is not something you're just hired into fresh out of school. It's like directing a film, you either start with something lower and work your way up, or make a name for yourself as an independent first.

Yeah, from the interviews on the Game Design Roundtable (which is a fantastic podcast, btw), the way the likes of Brian Reynolds and Julian Gollop got their breaks is by creating small cool prototypes and then getting noticed. You could get recruited as a programmer into even the likes of Firaxis, and spend many years before they let you do any design.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Many games companies also treat their ordinary employees like poo poo. They can do this because supply outstrips demand and people are desperate. Just read about all the accounts of deadline crunch. And it's all well and good talking about getting your foot in the door via QA and working your way up, but consider: that's what everyone else thinks too, there isn't enough room for everyone and why should it be you and not them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's a Ludum dare taking place in a week's time. You can take part in that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Corbeau posted:

You can do failure states and punishment without death, but that overlooks one critical factor:

Everyone is mortal.

There is no player who cannot, at least on some level, connect with a life-or-death struggle. Death is a subject that everyone has to deal with eventually, making it highly relatable. Similarly, life and death is one of the highest-stakes struggles possible. Considering that combination of universal appeal and universal power, it's not surprising that most games present their mechanical challenges as a life and death struggle. It's the easiest way to make the player give a drat.

The fear of death mechanic works - once. The problem is that if the player dies repeatedly, then that ceases to be identifiable as something the player connects to. It becomes abundantly clear that killing the player is just an exercise in annoying him and making him repeat content.

I think the likes of XCOM and the Walking Dead show the correct way to handle death. The strongest moments in those games are not where you threaten the player character, saying that you would slap him with a game over if you fail. They are when you threaten someone else that they care about, and they know that the game will continue and they'd have to live with the consequences of their failure.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

spider wisdom posted:

I've had an idea for a roguelike for a while now and I'd like to actually make it a thing that exists. I have no experience with code outside of a rudimentary understanding of HTML and CSS, but I'm willing to learn. With this in mind, should I jump right in with Python and Roguebasin's tutorial, or maybe start off with Multimedia Fusion 2 (thanks HIB)?

If you want to make a roguelike specifically, you should consider looking at TOME 4 and T-Engine. Then the basics will be handled for you, and you can poke around an already established game for ideas.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just use a reference, seriously. Horses are *hard*.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This seems broadly similar to the Fission/Fusion/Anti-matter tech tree mechanic of Sword of the Stars. I am not super convinced, though:

1. Tier/Mark numerics seem dreadfully dreary. Incrementing a mark just isn't all that interesting. To me, anyway.
2. Because incrementing a Tier wipes the benefits of Marks, there's only really one clearly optimal strategy here: 'Is this a war for survival, and is it going to end before I can complete a Tier upgrade? If yes, upgrade Marks, if not, upgrade Tier.' In all other circumstances, you're just screwing yourself over by upgrading a Mark. It seems like there should be simpler and more intuitive ways to get the same effect, if that's what you are going for.
3. If Tier upgrades improve *exponentially*, there is a vast problem with snowballing. It would be impossible to catch up to players that are ahead.
4. In addition, if those players found themselves in less dangerous parts of the map, say, and didn't get into any conflicts that necessitate wasteful Mark upgrades, they would quickly develop a commanding lead. (Effectively, having to spend resources on short-term upgrades would be a tax on getting into wars.) Conversely, a player that got into a tough battle in the early stages of the game and spent the time getting Mark upgrades, and didn't win resoundingly, would rapidly find themselves in a death spiral.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Seriously, man, horses are scientifically proven to be the hardest thing to depict artistically. This explains why the Mongols were so effective.

(Not really.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

George Lazenby posted:

So, I posted some screenshots of my current project in this thread aaages ago. I've been working on it solidly since then, so here are some screenshots to show how far it's come! The game is called Lulanda, it's a sort of action/adventure/platformer thing.

It could do with some more information for the player. I would be very leery of spending money on an item if all I know is that it makes 'hunting down faeries easier'.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know... If you are using colour to indicate damage, then the problem is that a heavily damaged friendly and enemy ship will end up looking similar. Green and blue are similar colours to begin with, anyway.

And I get the feeling the overall colour palette will end up looking like a mess. What about using particle effects/smoke trails etc?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 3, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What does the rest of the team and the environment look like? Designing a character in isolation is probably a terrible idea?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The games you know about and are 'well regarded' are precisely those games that don't have a problem. The issue is that there is not enough regard - media attention, community attention, placement on steam top sellers lists, etc to go around.

If you are an existing developer, with good relations to the media, especially making a sequel to a game people have heard of, then you will probably be fine. If your game is good, someone will probably give it a play, you can afford advertising, word of mouth might spread, and basically you'll at least make a little profit.

If you are a new developer, with no friends in the industry, making a new game, then its a total crapshoot. The likelihood is that very few people will play your game. Fewer will talk about it. The media won't notice. Basically, no one will acknowledge your existence.

What's worse is that regard isn't really proportional to quality or effort. Instead, your visibility is proportional to your popularity, which creates a huge feedback effect.

EDIT: It would be really interesting if indie devs would share their sales data, whether they make it or not. We only really see stuff from the popular devs, whereas a representative random sample would be more useful. I'm fairly convinced that the effect Vogel identified is real, mainly because I don't think the average unknown game is genuinely worse than the majority of games I do know about, but some hard numbers on the state of the industry would be great.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 28, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I was looking for specific examples, could you provide some? Like a game that definitely should have been successful but couldn't find the marketing traction or whatever? Not saying it doesn't happen I just don't know of any.

Well, you're basically asking for good games that have failed be become known to most people, and by definition most people can't answer that question. I'm not really sure how I'd even begin to find such games. I don't think I can see any way to get steam to give me a random, unpopular game.

You can look at stuff like

http://www.dreamdawn.com/sh/features/sales_vs_score.php

Noting that this is for PS2 games that have gotten a review, in 2006 with relative few games being made. Now think about indie PC games that have never been reviewed...

EDIT: The closest example I can think of is Race the Sun, which probably I only know about because the dev eventually got a lucky break after some struggling. And Race the Sun *did* get some positive media attention to start off with.

http://flippfly.com/news/race-the-sun-a-month-after-launch-losing-steam/

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 28, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nition posted:

The argument that no-one can list any great games that didn't make it because by definition, no-one's heard about them looks good on the surface. But it doesn't hold up because if no-one knows about any games that didn't make it, there's be no evidence that there are any games that didn't make it.

Well, there's the mismatch between the statistics we have about the number of games on steam, and the number of games that are talked about/reviewed. On the app stores you can find lots and lots of games that have very low numbers of downloads. Of course the PC space isn't the same as mobile, but unfortunately steam etc don't share sales figures.

For a paper on google play downloads, see: http://cocoa.ethz.ch/downloads/2013/06/None_p499-zhong.pdf

Fangz fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 28, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm currently fighting with my own better judgement vis-a-vis my control scheme. I promised myself, promised that I would never use contextual prompts, as they are sucky and endemic of a criminal lack of creativity on the part of console developers.

Unfortunately, I'm easily racking up a good 20-30 separate, common tasks that I want players to be capable of, and it's incredibly tempting to either dump them in a boring MMO-style action bar or just have a storm of "Press X to engage in a lively conversation" popups.

What is wrong with contextual prompts? Contextual prompts are great. Creativity for creativity's sake is silly.

Handing the player a huge list of actions, most of which are just terrible or boring ideas in any given context, is bad game design unless you want to purposefully annoy the player. No one wants to read through a list of 20-30 items, and no one can be expected to tactically decide between such a vast number of items with every move they make.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 17, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It might be a good idea to tone down the screen shake effect a bit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, if my screen is wiggle wobbling every turn literally thousands of times like that over the course of the game I am just going to start feeling queasy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can FEEL him hitting on me, no matter what I happen to be. It's beautiful. He's all like "Hey there, whatever you are, let's do it."
Is there a button to just open fire? There should be a button to just open fire.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sort of reminds me of Cortex Command.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like the little legs also, though I think you should try it in front of a more realistic background to make sure they don't disappear into it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I really like the grappling and swinging in Floating Point, for what it's worth.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think you are requiring too much mouse traversal to perform some basic attacks. Can you possibly streamline away the action of clicking on portraits on the opposite sides of the screen?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sell me on glyph designer? I don't see why it's a big deal?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The one thing that wasn't clear to me about the game was whether the traversal systems (the jet pack, the grappling hook) are stuff built in, Zelda-style unlock and infinite use tools, or finite use pickups.

I also think the starting text could be a bit more evocative, e.g. If you showed instead of telled.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So I made a game for a game jam

http://fhnuzoag.itch.io/wizard-sports

Plays not entirely unlike Freedom Force, except with a ball and also Men of War style active control. It would be lovely if people would playtest and tell me whether it's too hard or easy or if the tutorial is too hard to understand.

Devlog at

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/10046-releasedevlog-wizard-sports/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fangz posted:

So I made a game for a game jam

http://fhnuzoag.itch.io/wizard-sports

Plays not entirely unlike Freedom Force, except with a ball and also Men of War style active control. It would be lovely if people would playtest and tell me whether it's too hard or easy or if the tutorial is too hard to understand.

Devlog at

https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/10046-releasedevlog-wizard-sports/

Oh also I uploaded a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E9HrK86nmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

On the topic of Gamemaker, how well does Gamemaker build to Android? Does anyone have any experience with that?