Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Steam makes sense for some games, especially if you don't already have a buzz since a well timed Steam sale can make you a millionaire. Cube World doesn't seem like one of those games but I would like to have it on Steam if only because I find it really drat convenient when a game uses Steamworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'd like to see this on Steam eventually because I'll be damned if I'll use PayPal.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

30% is standard consignment cut.

MMAgCh posted:

I'd like to see this on Steam eventually because I'll be damned if I'll use PayPal.

I want it on Steam so I can get it on sale for $5 someday.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Death Himself posted:

Steam makes sense for some games, especially if you don't already have a buzz since a well timed Steam sale can make you a millionaire. Cube World doesn't seem like one of those games but I would like to have it on Steam if only because I find it really drat convenient when a game uses Steamworks.

It's hard to say with Cubeworld - I think this is the kind of game that a lot of people are positively starving for, especially the millions of people who played Minecraft and wanted something more structured. If horrible cesspits of broken promises and stolen ideas like The War Z can hit the bestseller list purely because it's a Day Z clone, then I'd imagine something like could sell gangbusters. After all, the word of mouth has been great so far - the closed alpha preview video the Yogscast guys put up the other day already got nearly a million views. I'd say getting that many eyes on your game before it's even for sale is a good start.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It's hard to say with Cubeworld - I think this is the kind of game that a lot of people are positively starving for, especially the millions of people who played Minecraft and wanted something more structured. If horrible cesspits of broken promises and stolen ideas like The War Z can hit the bestseller list purely because it's a Day Z clone, then I'd imagine something like could sell gangbusters. After all, the word of mouth has been great so far - the closed alpha preview video the Yogscast guys put up the other day already got nearly a million views. I'd say getting that many eyes on your game before it's even for sale is a good start.

That's what I mean, it has enough buzz that I don't think they gain much from having it on Steam other than potential Steamworks integration.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Death Himself posted:

That's what I mean, it has enough buzz that I don't think they gain much from having it on Steam other than potential Steamworks integration.

Well, also the store probably wouldn't have crashed or sold copies without assigning the licenses. Though unless it's down for the next week I doubt that leaves much of a lasting impact, since he did stop taking money. Probably makes the most sense to run it yourself until sales start to slow, then add it to Steam to get fresh eyes on it. Also the bonus income from putting it on sale so people can buy it and never actually play more than ten minutes, or at all.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So what exactly is missing in the alpha that he wants to include in the full release? Or is this gonna be a Minecraft thing where it's not really an Alpha, but the beginning of a long train of updates, where at some point an update will be labelled as the release?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what exactly is missing in the alpha that he wants to include in the full release? Or is this gonna be a Minecraft thing where it's not really an Alpha, but the beginning of a long train of updates, where at some point an update will be labelled as the release?

https://picroma.com/cubeworld

In each section there are things grayed out for what they want to have in. Might be what you are looking for?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Death Himself posted:

Oh sorry about that! Took your post to mean the opposite, my mistake.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Minecraft's selling point is $25-30 because (at least people tell me) it's a sandbox game, where you can sink endless hours into it and create your own fun with the tools that are given to you. It's essentially playing with LEGO online. People also tell me most of the fun comes from modding.

From what I've read, Cube World doesn't seem to have any mining, crafting, construction or modding available and none is planned for the future? It's essentially your own little MMO game where you and your friends run around, beat up enemies with what seems like an extremely basic combat system and get loot?

Why is this worth purchasing, and what content does it offer for your $20? :confused: I guess hang gliding looks fun.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

So does the alpha support multiplayer?

Cautiously getting hyped about this again.

Yes, it currently supports 2-4 player co-op via LAN, port forwarded private computer or dedicated server. The 4 player cap is a temporary thing for stability and bug tracking reasons.

PvP Modes (with ladder tracking) and as the begining of experimenting to find out what a max player cap can be before the game becomes unstable will happen later.

Pretty much anything that is grayed out is not finished as of right now.

For those who don't want to search, that includes:

• Adventure Features
    -Procedural Quests: randomly generated tasks with varying story, creatures, and places. Our goal is to come up with a diversified non-repetitive system.
    -Housing: We're planning to enable players to build their own house. Players will be able to store items, trophies, pets etc. in their house and extend the house gradually.

• Class Features
    -Advanced Skill Trees: add more complex skill trees with additional skills, branches, and options.
    -More Classes (currently at four with each class having two specializations).

• Action Based Combat
    -Crowd Control Abilities: Crowd control means incapacitating certain enemies while fighting other enemies. This is useful when fighting large or powerful groups of enemies.

• Races
    -Additional Races (currently at 8 races in three size categories).

• Pets
    -Rare Pets
    -Pet Evolution

• Monsters
    -Sea Crab boss
    -Rune Giant boss
    -Dragon boss
    -Demon boss

• Items, Crafting, Customization
    -Artifacts: Pieces found in the world, can be combined to restore a rare item.
    -More Crafting Formulas: Formulas are drop rewards that let you craft new types of items.
    -Race specific headgear
    -Vanity items

• Multiplayer
    -PVP mode.
    -PvP Online Ladders.
    -Massively Multiplayer Server

Looks like all those years of keeping this in unreleased development has paid off and this Alpha release is very fleshed out. I would honestly be surprised is Alpha lasted past the end of the year.

Jesto posted:

Minecraft's selling point is $25-30 because (at least people tell me) it's a sandbox game, where you can sink endless hours into it and create your own fun with the tools that are given to you. It's essentially playing with LEGO online. People also tell me most of the fun comes from modding.

From what I've read, Cube World doesn't seem to have any mining, crafting, construction or modding available and none is planned for the future? It's essentially your own little MMO game where you and your friends run around, beat up enemies with what seems like an extremely basic combat system and get loot?

Why is this worth purchasing, and what content does it offer for your $20? :confused: I guess hang gliding looks fun.

Check out his main website, not his blog. Lots of info that will answer your questions. :D

Cube World has, right now:

-Weapon Crafting.
-Armor Crafting
-Jewel Crafting.
-Cooking.
-Alchemy.
-Formulas you can find to expand your list of craftables.
-Customization (you literately upgrade gear by adding additional pixel blocks to them, allowing you to make your gear stronger while also changing its appearance).
-Basic resource gathering. Certain objects can be destroyed with damage, this causes them to break down allowing you to get base components. Mining is very simple right now and consists of finding ore veins and destroying them.

Marked as not finished on the website we have:
-Build-able player homes (While not as customizable as meter thick blocks, the idea is that you will find formulas on how to build floors, walls, doors, roofs, various other building structures, and in different styles. You'll then craft those parts and piece them together to however you want your house to look).
-Vanity Items (from decorative poo poo for your character, to things like furniture, rugs, mounted trophies, etc for your house).

The biggest thing people need to realize is that this is not a Minecraft-like. While it shares a sort of similar look to MC, it is not trying to copy it or be the same kind of game. The developer is also a hell of a lot better than Notch was. :v: Wolfram has a lot clearer image of what he wants his game to be, MC is currently been released for a long time now and still looks and feels like an early beta and the dev's do not have a clear direction for the game. As for modding, I don't see that too big of an issue since CW seems so goddamn complete. I could see modding being supported later on, but its not an important feature for this game and not every block game needs to be moddable.

Currently, all the things that Cubeworld and Minecraft currently share in common, CW blows the gently caress out of MC's equivalent.

VVV

I really like the modular formula system hes got planned for houses. He knows that kind of crafting is not going to be the main selling point for his game and that is a great alternative that doesn't detract attention from the rest of the game nor causes the players to bog down around one thing. CW seems all about exploring and kicking bad guy rear end, and it does that extremely well.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 3, 2013

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jesto posted:

The building part isn't in yet. There will be these "cards" you find while adventuring and delving dungeons. They have stuff like "stone wall", "door", "statue of <thing>" and so on, with lots of cards. Once you have a card you can place the thing it's for and build your own house/estate/castle filled with trophies from your adventures and store your loot in it.

Really old pic of the system:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Death Himself posted:

The building part isn't in yet. There will be these "cards" you find while adventuring and delving dungeons. They have stuff like "stone wall", "door", "statue of <thing>" and so on, with lots of cards. Once you have a card you can place the thing it's for and build your own house/estate/castle filled with trophies from your adventures and store your loot in it.

Okay, now that actually sounds pretty cool. :) Thanks.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
The shop working then not working feels like catching up to the ice cream truck and then the driver wails on the gas.

But no really I hope the issues are ironed out.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I see there is a day/night cycle, but is there dynamic weather? Every picture I've looked at is sunny with white fluffy clouds.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Jesto posted:

I only paid $15 for Minecraft because I bought it when it was in alpha.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Wow I didn't expect the alpha to be out so soon, even though he said it would be. I hope he gets the website fixed soon!

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Minecraft didn't (and still doesn't iirc) support modding. I know this guy has said he doesn't like modding for whatever reason, so he could intentionally make it difficult for modders, but that would be a dick move if you ask me. I'd still expect to see mods popping up in the not too distant future.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope he eventually adds support for more than 4 players per server (64 at least) because I just wanna adventure with bros. 4 players on a map of infinite size is kind of small.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Minecraft didn't (and still doesn't iirc) support modding. I know this guy has said he doesn't like modding for whatever reason, so he could intentionally make it difficult for modders, but that would be a dick move if you ask me. I'd still expect to see mods popping up in the not too distant future.

True, but not every game supports modding (the majority of them do not I would hazard a guess) and not every game needs to be modded. MC needs modding b/c it isn't a complete game, I don't get that feel from CW, but that is just my general opinion. :shobon:

Also anything that keeps the loving toxic MC modding community away from this game would be fantastic. :v:

Overbite posted:

I hope he eventually adds support for more than 4 players per server (64 at least) because I just wanna adventure with bros. 4 players on a map of infinite size is kind of small.

At his website towards the bottom where it discusses his plans for online play it says that they will be testing sometime in Alpha what the upper limit of max players will be before the game becomes unstable. Game is limited to four players right now for bug tracking reasons I would assume.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can't believe they are still fixing their buy button. Killed that poo poo for more than 12 hours.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Enzer posted:

Also anything that keeps the loving toxic MC modding community away from this game would be fantastic. :v:

But what if I just want to relay my day to my monster waifu like my one true love Creeper-tan :suicide:

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski

Reason posted:

Can't believe they are still fixing their buy button. Killed that poo poo for more than 12 hours.

I confess, I am at least checking every two hours for it to be up. :ohdear:

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Reason posted:

Wollay's in Germany, where it's currently 6AM, so I think he's been asleep most of those 12 hours.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Yeah, I mean his last post on twitter is waaaay after he normally goes to bed so I'm not too surprised.

E: Also someone made an auto checker for the shop being up. http://direct.cyberkitsune.net/canibuycubeworld/

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Oh, hey, someone made #cubeworld on SynIRC.

It's just a redirect to the #sa-minecraft channel, though :argh:

Lunimeow posted:

E: Also someone made an auto checker for the shop being up. http://direct.cyberkitsune.net/canibuycubeworld/
That's pretty good, thanks for the link.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

maketakunai posted:

If it's any help, none of us play Minecraft anymore and a few of us are waiting on the store to come up to start playing Cube World. Join us so we can begin the cycle of alpha expectations anew.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

maketakunai posted:

This is actually the correct channel

Smee
Sep 24, 2004
#sa-minecraft is a cool channel for cool dudes and we never talk about minecraft there any more. We mostly bitch about how dumb JAVA is and how much butt quake live (and spongeh) sucks.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Registration is available, click the blue box in the top right and sign up. Store still not available, but you must be registered to purchase later on.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The shop is now just a 404 page. So they might be in the process of bringing it back up.

birdsound
Mar 25, 2011
They're handling this situation very well. It must be frustrating not be able to sell your game when there's so much hype.

Too bad none of my friends will be playing this ever.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Death Himself posted:

https://picroma.com/cubeworld

In each section there are things grayed out for what they want to have in. Might be what you are looking for?

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for :D

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

birdsound posted:

They're handling this situation very well. It must be frustrating not be able to sell your game when there's so much hype.

Too bad none of my friends will be playing this ever.

Yeah, especially as the main page has just been updated and they have the demo back available - and its now hosted on Amazon S3. Guess they are moving the shop over to S3 as well, really the only move they could of made to cope with the load.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Death Himself posted:

The benefit of Steam comes from the fact that a lot of people simply will not buy a PC game unless it is on Steam.

I am one of these people.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Clamps McGraw posted:

The benefit of Steam comes from the fact that a lot of people simply will not buy a PC game unless it is on Steam.

I am one of these people.

Why?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

People like having their games library consolidated and indexed through one program and having the ability to delete/redownload the game whenever you want through a client you use for everything else anyway.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kanos posted:

People like having their games library consolidated and indexed through one program and having the ability to delete/redownload the game whenever you want through a client you use for everything else anyway.

aka: Convenience. It's nice to have everything in one big list. I've put all my games into Steam, even the ones that aren't Steam games purely so I can just scroll down the list and decide what I want to play.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I get the feeling there will be a lot of disappointment from folks who just look at the aesthetics and think it's a superior version of Minecraft, when in reality it's more like a lo-fi version of Kingdoms of Amalur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I get the feeling there will be a lot of disappointment from folks who just look at the aesthetics and think it's a superior version of Minecraft, when in reality it's more like a lo-fi version of Kingdoms of Amalur.

Anyone who buys something without even slightly reading into it is probably used to disappointment anyway. Plus, I imagine a lot of people who are buying it are watching Youtube videos of it, so it should be readily apparent that it is/isn't something they would enjoy.

• Locked thread