Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Field Museum

Upon further inspection, Laguna realizes his initial impressions about the rifle pieces were wrong. The pieces were part of the Stoner weapon system which originally were used by the U.S. during the Vietnam war. There are parts to make one assault carbine version and two Light Machine Gun variations of the rifle. Stamped on the receivers is the model number which is Model 70. There is one magazine for the assault carbine and four 100 round magazines. Laguna also realizes that assembling them on while on the move might encounter some difficulties.

The grenades in the crate look like little pineapples with a piece of metal hanging by its side and a metal ring attached to the top. It seems like it would fairly easy to use. Pull the ring and throw. That is assuming one didn't want to worry about technical details.

The rifles are

Stoner XM23, .223 Dam: 4d+2 pi Acc: 4 Range: 460/2,900 Wt: 9.1/1 Rof: 12 Shots: 30+1(3) ST: 9†

(x2) Stoner MK 25 .223 Dam: 5d pi Acc: 5 Range: 460/2,900 Wt: 18/5.6 Rof: 14! 100(5) ST: 11B†

Each rifle will take 10 minutes to put together. Rushing to finish them, or assembling them while in a moving vehicle will result in penalties to the armoury: small arms.

Throwing a grenade is a throwing skill roll. DX-3 or DX if throwing into an area.

Also which entrance is Dean going through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Laguna Resona, 15/15 HP,

"Wait, what's this stamped on the bottom here...?" Laguna flips one of the parts over to check the stamping in the light. "'Model 70'...? I guess it's not an M8 at all. Huh. And this is barrel is heavy, like it's for sustained machine gun fire....son of a bitch, this is a Stoner 63!" He says that like it means anything to anybody else in the room. "I mean, uh...right. Okay. Uhm..."

He turns to the rest of the group and sighs. "Okay, good news, all the parts are here for three different weapons, bad news is if I try to assemble these things on a bouncing vehicle I might lose the zero on the barrel or something equally bad. We got an MG42 already (and I can't believe I'd ever say that seriously!), so, uh, if I start putting together the carbine now, I should have it ready by the time we go. After we get downstairs and figure out which car we want to take first and all."

He looks at Dean and smirks. "And the dynamite thing is more common than you'd think."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - Museum

Mayla, who had been previously standing behind Laguna and looking over his shoulder while he examined the weapons, pipes in with a question.

"You know these weapons?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Laguna Resona, 15/15 HP, Museum Bistro

"I know this kind of weapon, at least," Laguna responds as he gathers the pieces. "A lot of these things are at least a little bit similar, like how this thing here..." He shows the receiver to Kayla as he starts to grog out about modern firearms.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - Museum

"Ahh," Mayla says as she examines the part. "Hmm... very intricate. You know, when we get back to the city you should show me how all of this works... if they let us keep one."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Dean

"I can imagine," he replies to Laguna. "Well just gather them up and we'll make use of what we have now if assembling them is going to be too tricky." With all the firepower amongst them as it is, these new guns can hardly make much of a difference anyway.

"I'm sure they'll let us keep the guns at the very least if we make it back with everyone alive. But first we need to make it through all this for that, so let's be moving."

Assuming there were no vehicles outside the entrance we used before, Dean will head out of the opposite entrance we came in from.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Field Museum

Phoebe watched Laguna open the boxes and fret over the contents with a hint of concern. For all the jibes of "Captain America," he didn't strike her as the sort of person who'd come through military service--what the hell was he hiding beneath that act and accent of his? Volleyguns weren't things that just anyone knew how to identify in pieces, let alone use. What had happened to him, back before the fog?

"I'd not feel right putting our hopes on something we're not even sure is put together properly," Phoebe said, "and I'd rather we not shoot up a storm unless we've a compelling reason. Have abrox on them, Laguna, but my owk's that we leave them in pieces for a minute now. Dean has the right, let's make ready to be off."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Karima

"We will want to be sure that whatever transport they left is actually in working order," Karima suggests as they start to transition towards moving out, eying the various weapon components from a distance. "We need to be ready to leave as soon as possible, I more than agree on that point, but that still may be enough time to get one of those weapons ready, no?" With a slightly unsure gesture, she adds, "I am not any more interested in seeking out an excuse to try them out than any of you, but if spare moments to work on them come about, leaving them...dis-assembled, seems wasteful."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 4, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Field Museum

While most of the group were inside discussing what to do next, Dean went out the front entrance. In front of the museum doors are three rugged looking large SUVs. They are parked haphazardly on the stairs leading up to the museum. The vehicles are makes and models that the man has never heard of before, Crosley Commando, Westcott Grizzly, and a Simpson Canyonero. All of the vehicles are boxy with a design esthetic of early 70's American automobiles. Dean gives the vehicles a quick look over and finds that the previous teams even left the keys in the ignitions.

Inside Laguna realizes that the MG42 he's brought along would need a mount for it to be used effectively. Without a mount, using it could be difficult.

Dean decides that the Commando is the least offensive to his sensibilities. He climbs up and into the massive vehicle. With a turn of the key the engine rumbles to life. Dean can tell just from listening to the engine that the vehicle has a lot of power. More then enough to speed down the city streets. Looking over to his left (which is the west, away from the water) he spots something. It looks like a heap of something. He sees parts that look like plates of armor, and other parts that look like some kind of a fungus. At the edges of the thing he sees tentacles reaching out. It appears to be at least 130 yards away, but it appears to be moving towards him. Dean can't tell how fast the thing is moving either. The mass doesn't appear to be moving, yet he can see it getting closer.

Dean found the vehicles the other teams used. All of them seem functional and the Commando definitely runs.

For the MG42, it needs to be mounted or set up in some fashion to deal with the ST 22 requirement. It'll take some time to mount the gun to fire it effectively (depending on what people want to do to set it up).

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Dean

The vehicles, while unknown to his eyes in terms of make, are thankfully found to be in working order and with the keys still in the ignitions to boot. Clearly the Commando is his choice to test first and the roar of the engine brings a grin to his face as the sheer power of the motor is made known through the sound of it alone. If the other SUVs are like this one, then he can say they'll have no trouble as far as transport goes.

But then the movement to his left catches his eye as the other kind of trouble finally makes itself known, quickly removing his grin. "Terrific..."
Tentacles, fungus and armour plating... All bundled up in one unnatural pile of moving mass and coming straight for him. Although strangely at a rapid, and yet at the same time, unmoving pace. From the sight of it at this distance, it's the kind of thing that could tear down a wall like back at Grand Rapids and no mistaking it. In a rush, he jumps out of the massive vehicle with just enough time to switch off the engine and begins bolting back into the museum, berating himself all the way. 'Of course this happens when you decide to take a harmless look outside alone, of course it does! Well loving done, old man! Now you're one of the first for a close encounter!'

Beating feet back to the doors as fast as he can, he shouts between laboured breaths inside to the others and does his best to get to them before the monstrous creature gets to him. "loving INCOMING!"

Running back to the others.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2015

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

It's a strange thing, sometimes, how the way of things can conspire to force the hands of those who wait. By the time Karima thinks to actually start moving, rather than simply agreeing with the idea of moving and discussing time management, Dean is already out the door - and by the time she's anywhere close to the front door, Dean is already on his way back inside and shouting.

She looks up at Dean in surprise, the previous discussion quickly forgotten. "What?" Everything they had heard so far said the aliens shouldn't be out during the day, and that time was their primary resource - that if they can simply be there and gone before sundown, everything will work out just fine, and they just need to accomplish as much as they can, each of them, in every minute they have available. This is not what she had hoped for or expected. Can it be something else, this incoming? But what else can it be? Does she even want an answer to that question?

Karima quickens her pace, cursing indistinctly, cruising up to the doors as Dean runs up the other way. She may not want to have to answer that question, but it needs answering fast - along with the question of whether they can still leave the same way they had planned.

PER 14, Observation 13 to peek out from behind the front doorway. Can Karima see the thing, and get a sense of how fast the thing is getting closer?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Resona, 15/15 HP, Museum Bistro

"Gah, I am not having a good day with my weapons..." Laguna is grabbing the bridge of his nose over trivialities when he's shocked back to reality by Dean screaming about something. He gets up and lets the gun parts fall back into the crate. "Wait, what?! Did he just say 'incoming!'?"

In utter confusion he quick-steps down the stairs and out towards the lobby, shoving his way through the security turnstile and towards the doorway. He can see right away that it's not a car coming to smash into the entrance...so what's that in the distance? He grabs the binoculars around his neck and looks out in the direction of...

"...what in the...oh, goddamn it! (Sorry, Doc.)"

Per 15 + Binoculars should tell something, right?

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

She'd known it was too good to last. That this dead world was far too lively, in all the wrong ways, for her taste. Dean's shouts would have alerted anyone camped in zasade, but it was too late to worry about that now.

"Make yourselves ready," Phoebe said. "We can use the granates."

She dashed to the box and plucked one from the top. It was an unfamiliar sort, but in the end a granate was a granate, meant for death and simplicity. If only she hadn't been such an average thrower--

"Ready for anything."

Per 15 to get eyes on whatever's after Dean.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Field Museum

A quick jaunt across the museum floor brings the four people to the stairs in front of the museum. When they get to the front steps, they look to their right. They all see something. None of them can quite describe what it is. It appears to be a collection of various parts heaped into a large pile. The thing appears to have bony or metallic plates at various parts of its body, Other parts resemble fungi and insects. Its color appears to be nearly black with some spots that are green and dark grey. At its bottom there are appear to be tentacles reaching out in all directions. Staring at it reveals that it is over a hundred yards away. It doesn't look at though its moving, but it is getting closer. No one can figure out how it is doing this. It almost seems as if its an illusion of some kind.

Laguna uses his binoculars on the thing. He sees it flicker between one spot and a spot closer to them. Having a closer view of the thing, Laguna sees that the thing shouldn't be alive. It shouldn't exist. Laguna finds that his mind is having trouble mentally processing what it is he's seeing. The binoculars fall out of his hands and stands there for a couple seconds as his mind deals with the horror.

Everyone spots the thing. Everyone, but Laguna pass their fear check. Laguna fails it, but only is stunned for a couple seconds. The fear check will only happen the first time you see the thing. It appears to be at least 120 yards away, but its rate of speed is random. It seems like it would reach the stairs within 30 seconds.

I was going over google maps and realized I made a slight mistake on positioning the museum. Here is a picture of the museum:

The group probably would have went into a side entrance, but I wasn't consulting a map, so they went in the back entrance. The parking lot the group passed before going into museum is to the right of the museum.

The three SUVs are at the front of the musuem and the thing is approaching from the right/west. Its marked on the map.

I'm going to be flexible in amount of time it takes to move around because of my mix up. I'm not going to figure out howspecifically fast people are moving from one spot to another. Still there's only about 30 seconds before the thing is at the stairs. Currently its around 120 yards away.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

When Karima focuses on the thing at a distance, her mind struggles with it, there being no easy way to categorize or assess the bizarre thing that she is seeing. Working in her favor is that, if nothing else, it isn't the first such impossible thing she has seen on this job - that, and the realization of how bad they're all likely to have it if the thing gets close, are enough to keep any twinge of fear from developing into full-blown panic.

And the thing is getting closer, but slowly. And the trucks are close. The thing sure doesn't seem to be moving naturally, but it does seem to be moving in roughly straight lines. And, well, from the look of it the teams operating out of the museum at least had the decency to collect some wheels that could go off-road a little, in a pinch, so they might not have to go straight past the thing, either...

She takes one quick step out the door. "We can make it to the trucks, take two, loop around," says Karima. "Better than finding out how easy it can be hurt." Then she takes off like a bolt for one of the SUVs. "Come on!"

Booking it out into the open for one of the trucks. Will naturally turn around and book it back towards the doors if most of the group decides to dally, but there should be time and space to do it this way if there are no stragglers.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 7, 2015

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Dean

As he runs, his head can't help but turn for another look at the creature, now closer than it had been, but still as bizarrely motionless as it seemed before. Yrth had made him confront all sorts of beasts that he could never have imagined, but this is by far a whole new sort of monster altogether. Despite his mind racing and struggling to make sense of it, he still manages to keep his feet carrying him ceaselessly to the others.
Taking steps nearly two at a time, he makes it near enough back to the group just in time to hear Karima's idea and for the doctor to dash past him. He takes a brief second for a breath before nodding to the others.

"She's got a point. Should at least try to avoid a fight this early on, if we can help it. Let's move!" With that, he's turned and bounding back down the steps again to where he just came from. "Should'v just stayed in the drat car..."

Will also make a dash back for an SUV, but for one that Karima does not get into, so long as everyone else follows along.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Resona, 15/15 HP, Museum Front

"Gggggkkk...guh...uh..." Laguna manages some faint hissing and choking sounds as that...that...thing fills the view of the binoculars. "Gah...hah...wha..." The binoculars fall down and dangle from his neck and he continues to stare and gasp and twist at his hair. It's only when Karima and Dean go storming by and out the door that he gets his act together.

"Ah, right, we need to go! Sorry, Dean, you'll need to take a rain check on those weapons!" With that he dashes down the steps, quickly, but awkwardly, screaming at the top of his lungs as he races behind Dean to one of the SUVs: "TO THE TOWN OF AQUA FRIA RODE A STRANGER ONE FINE DAY, HARDLY SPOKE TO FOLKS AROUND HIM DIDN'T HAVE TOO MUCH TO SAY AAAAAAAH!"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe was unbowed in the face of--whatever the hell that bodock was, but if it wasn't the same sort of thing that had paid a visit to Annie's bunker during the night, this world was far too full of horrors. Part of her had been determined to stand and fight, to face the faceless thing and wipe it from the world, but with the team already charging for the motos any hope of putting up a coherent resistance had evaporated.

So she ran, dashing in the same direction Karima had gone. The sooner she got there, the sooner she'd be able to fight off the thing long enough for them to flee.

"Stay together!" she shouted. "Together, god drat you!"

Running for the SUV that Karima is headed for.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Jenna had been engrossed in a fruitless search for some high-proof alcohol when Dean started shouting. Few are the things that can be both a weapon and a celebration, but it would seem this was the sort of museum that didn't have a full bar. What were they thinking. Her arrival on the front steps is somewhat delayed from dragging Mayla along with her, so by the time she reaches the doors Laguna's gurgling tips her off as to what might be out there.

"Right then, not the first unspeakable horror we've seen on this trip. Heads down and let's get moving." She doesn't give Mayla a chance to look at anything before shoving her into the back seat of the nearest SUV and climbing in after.

I flipped a coin and Karima won, so gender segregated cars it is.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - Museum

"So many types of tea and coffee," Mayla mumbles as she rifles through the bistro with Jenna. She begins to pick up a few boxes and cans. "Well, I know what I will be doing when we get back to... huh? What's he yelling about?"

Mayla squeaks in shock as Jenna grabs her wrist suddenly. Her loot clatters onto the ground. "Jenna! Hey, Jenna!" she protests in vain. "Ow, ow, ow! Slow down! My legs aren't as long as yours!"

As she's shoved into the vehicle, she barely manages to avoid clonking her head on the roof. "What in the Goddess' name is going on?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Field Museum

The group piles into the vehicles and begins to leave. The thing continues to approach.

I need to know who is driving and what vehicle with driving skills posted. Also if someone could summarize who is in what vehicle that would be good too.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

As she slides into the truck - lobbing her backpack into the back and hoping no one is in the way - Karima silently offers thanks that everyone is on the same page this time around. Fighting when necessary is one thing - fighting when they have a chance to make a clean getaway is another. An unnecessary risk, especially when none of them have even the slightest clue what it might take to bring the armored hulk of a monster down.

She only spares a second to check that everything seems right before looking to Phoebe. "Get in, Rohi, and...make sure it does not follow us! I'll drive!" Which, of course, might include shooting it. Then, back towards Jenna, Karima adds, "When we get clear, tell me where we are going!"

With that, she goes to start the engine and get her carload of friends the hell out of there...

Driving/Automobile/TL8 14 for Karima. My understanding is that Car 1 is Dean/Laguna in ???, and Car 2, which we'll say is the Canyonero because lol, is Karima/Phoebe/Jenna/Mayla, with Dean/Karima driving, Phoebe presumably (?) on overwatch targeting the weird thing per the last post, and Laguna/Jenna/Mayla doing whatever. I could be very wrong on this.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 12, 2015

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Dean

Back once again and the door to the Commando is all but ripped open as he hurriedly throws his pack into the back before quickly hauling himself into the driver's seat. No glance is spared to see just how close the monster is now, but with everyone thankfully on the same wavelength they might just stand a chance at escaping without being drawn into a desperate fight for their lives.
"Get in!" he yells at Laguna as notices the women seem to all be piling into one of the other vehicles. "If it gets close, start unloading on it! I'll keep us close behind the others!" He twists the key in the ignition and gives the cowboy just enough time to get into a seat before he slams the SUV into gear. No thought is given to anything but escaping the monster's reach now. He might still be a little rusty behind the wheel, but he can focus his mind and remember enough to get them through this. After all, he has to.

Dean's driving the Commando at Driving/TL8 (Automobile) - 13, with Laguna inside as well, I will presume. If the Single-Minded advantage will help counter any driving penalty Dean might still be suffering (or if it just helps anyway), then I'll throw it into play too.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Chicago

Phoebe dashed for the stark red moto that Karima had angled toward. She was peripherally aware of Jenna and Mayla pounding the same path, and Laguna making for Dean's machine, but the bodock--the thing that mustn't be, couldn't be, but nonetheless was--occupied as much of her attention as she could spare. Amorphous, illusive, threatening in ways she couldn't put words to. Agryphnine flooded her system and told her to run, to flee.

"Leave it behind, love!" Phoebe shouted as she crashed into the moto and found a spot inside. "Out of here, metnaw! We can sirse the rest later!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Resona, 15/15 HP, Museum Front

Laguna takes a flying leap to get at the back door of the Commando--despite losing a few seconds at the start he manages to reach the thing at about the same time as Dean. He nods emphatically as Dean tells him to get ready to fight. "I'll do that! Just get this dogie moving!" When he's inside the SUV he gets his rifle off his back--not an easy task to keep that thing pointed outside in a confined space and a hurry!--and aims out the window at the Thing That Should Not Be. Well, hopefully he wouldn't have to shoot, since he's pretty sure it won't actually do anything. But lining up the sight gives him something to do besides panic.

I guess that's an Aim action with the rifle?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Field Museum

Karima takes the Canyanero, while Dean takes the Commando. They both start the engines up and back the vehicles up. Laguna situates himself in the back of the Commando. He opens up a windows and positions his rifle out the window bracing the rifle against the frame. Karima and Dean see the thing begin to close in on them. The thing begins to change. The plates that were once scattered about its body now begin to grow. The plates seem to take a definite flat shapes as the thing begins to change itself into something boxier. As the two vehicles pull away from the museum steps, the thing reaches the steps and begins to move directly towards the cars. The Canyanero and the Commando pick up speed as they hit the road skirting by several other vehicles. The thing follows at a slower pace. Karima and Dean take a long turn that turns into a U-turn. As the two vehicles get going straight, they pick up speed. The thing is then forced to go back in the direction it came to try to catch up with the vehicles. Looking in the rear view mirrors the thing takes on a definite shape.

Spoiler for those who look at the thing It looks like a very blocky, extremely large 10' high SUV with wheels that don't move.

The two SUVs are now on Actions? They are both on E. Fetridge Dr. going west.[/i]

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

As soon as everyone is in, she kicks the Canyonero into gear, the tires objecting to the sudden start with a sharp, piercing squeal. It's an ungainly vehicle - by far the largest thing Karima has ever driven. The thing feels or drives nothing like the comparatively modest pickups she had gotten used to using on assignments in her MSF days, to say nothing of the nimble engineering masterpieces she once watched with awe as a child in Le Mans. The Canyonero's bulk is enough to make her wonder how Phoebe had been able to handle the much larger school bus so well previously - the bright apple-colored SUV isn't quite as big as a bus, but to Karima it certainly feels like a frustratingly close comparison.

"This will be rough," Karima admits in a tone not far from growling, teeth gritted and hands gripping the wheel tight.

But despite having to steer a vehicle that may as well be two lanes wide, Karima manages to get it to do what she wants. Fighting the truck a little is still preferable to fighting the thing instead, which she spares only the briefest of rear-view glances at, to judge distance, and to be sure the other truck was still with them also. Mostly her attention is ahead, intent on avoiding any cars left scattered about by the sudden apocalypse, or any other sudden hazards.

That, and pushing the truck as fast as she dares as she aims for the general direction they're supposed to be going.

Driving/TL8/Automobile 14. Will be looping north onto Lake Shore Drive or whatever road it actually happens to be. Fast but not too fast.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

Between the rush to bug out and and trying to recall decades old geography, it takes Jenna a moment to gather her thoughts enough to speak. "Right, Logan Square... We'll want to get to the east side of the canal before we hit the river. Hopefully the bridges are clear." As the immediate rush starts to wear off, she begins to look around at her surroundings, and whatever it is they're running from.

"Is... is that a giant truck?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - SUV

"Are you serious? What is with this city and death trucks?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Dean

Before the cowboy even has time to situate himself inside, he's already pressing the Commando into near full speed as he maneuvers away from the Museum. Being of a slightly more modern age, the SUV isn't quite so bad as the kubelwagen but it still requires his full focus and half-remembered driving abilities to insure he doesn't do something so silly as stall or simply crash into one of the other vehicles strewn about the road.

"Hold onto your hat!" he shouts to Laguna as he starts making the U-turn and gains further speed. With Jenna in the other vehicle and no doubt being their guide through the city, he drops back to allow Karima to drive ahead and lead the way. The briefest of glances is spared to the creature in the rear view mirror, simply to gauge distance. But if there's any change to the creature's appearance, he doesn't notice because after only a split second his full attention snaps back to the road and focusing on getting them away from here safely.

Driving/TL8 (Automobile) - 13. Following behind Karima.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

For an instant, with Karima giving the motor all the energy she had and then some, Phoebe thought they'd escaped freely and clear from whatever the bodock was. Then she turned to watch their escape, and saw it--twist? unfold?--into some demonic false wain, tall as a house, skidding on motionless wheels and still coming on after them.

"Oh, hell, no," Phoebe said. For an instant she considered her rifle, but discarded the thought immediately--what use would her limited bullets be against that? She went instead for the few granates she'd managed to claim in their frenzied evacuation from the museum.

"Jenna, Mayla--how good are you at throwing?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Resona, 15/15 HP, Commando Rear Seat

"No need to tell me twice!" Laguna shouts over the roar of the engine as the Commando goes into a U-Turn. As the vehicle begins to turn out and speed up, he catches the Thing That Should Not Be behind them, shifting and spinning and flattening and--

--oh, son of a gun, it's a Transformer Thing That Should Not Be!

"What the heck is that thing doing?!" he screams. Well, he can see what it's doing, it's turning into another SUV to keep up with them! How and Why might be better questions. For lack of a better thing to do to help, he focuses his sight on where the strangely still "wheel" is and panic-mutters to himself.

"--the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip--"

*BANG*

Laguna's Rifle skill is 16, +1 for the weapon bond, +1 or more for aiming (Rifle acc is 7), -something for range and possibly a called shot to the "tire"? Hopefully this won't end with Laguna falling out of the SUV and getting run over.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Jenna

"Mmmmm, probably about good enough to hit the menfolk."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - SUV

"Huuuhhh? What are you thinking?"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Then let's hold off while they're in our line," Phoebe said. "But if we do have a clear shot... I feel that bodock might have an unhealthy reaction to some granates going off around it, no?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Unhealthy? Probably, al'ezyz, even for that thing," Karima agrees in a strained tone, still trying to push the awkward, boxy truck for every scrap of power she dares to try for. "Could slow it down, if there is a clear shot - but let us see if we cannot outrun it first!"

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 16, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Chicago

Karima and Dean manage to keep control of the vehicles as they race towards their goal. Behind them the thing has gained a little speed, but isn't able to keep up with the two SUVs. Even though it transformed into something that looks like an SUV, the transformation hasn't given it any boost in speed.

Jenna fails to stop her curiosity and looks at the thing behind them. A combination of seeing things that should not exist with the impossible physics it implores to move causes Jenna to faint. She falls down in the SUV, but fortunately the padding of the seat protects her from any harm.

Laguna leans out a window and readies a shot. He fires at the thing's 'tire'. The shot hits the tire, but nothing seems to happen to it. Looking at the tire, Laguna realizes that the tire isn't rolling. In fact the tire isn't moving at all. The whole thing just seems to move in a manner that is physically impossible.

As the two SUVs keep moving, the distance between them and the thing grows.

Jenna has fainted for three minutes. At the end she has to roll HT to recover.

Laguna had to beat a 15 to hit the tire and he did. It just didn't do much damage.

The thing is 40 yards behind the vehicles and the distance is growing.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 17, 2015

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Dean

He keeps close pace with the other SUV in front, making sure to be as quick and precise with his driving as Karima is managing to be in front of him. As focused as he is now, it's almost hard to believe he hadn't driven at all for near ten years until the other day or so. 'Just like riding a big, big bike,' he tells himself. Hearing the crack of the gunshot, he turns suddenly for a brief moment to Laguna before snapping his eyes back to the road in front of him as a particularly tricky turn almost catches him off guard.
"You hit it, Laguna? Damage it any? Please tell me it's at least not gaining on us!"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

She barely hears the sharp report of Laguna's rifle over the engine's rumbling roar and the gap between the two trucks, and Karima can only spare a brief glance in the mirror to see the result. If the thing's taken any damage, she certainly can't tell - but what she can tell is that the gap between the monster and their wheels is opening up. They might just have a chance to make a clean escape after all, regardless of whether Laguna or Phoebe, or any of the others with hands to spare, can find a way to hurt the thing.

"I think maybe the beast cannot keep up, praise Allah," Karima says, but it doesn't sound like she intends to coast, especially not with that thing still behind them and with Jenna apparently now out like a light. The only thing to do is to press that advantage and try to lose the thing outright.

Driving/TL8/Automobile 14 to keep the hammer down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - SUV

"Jenna!" Mayla calls as her companion falls over. She helps Jenna back into a sitting position.

"Jenna! Hey, Jenna! ... Hey, Doctor Karima, something happened to Jenna!"

• Locked thread