Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This interaction should be thrilling to the ~25 white guys at the center of the Percy Hill/Hollywood Handbook Venn diagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Goddamn HH was fantastic, I wish they bombed at comic con every week

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I wish I had an opinion of u2 or rem

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Riptor posted:

If you're listening to James Bonding pay attention to how often Mira makes a horrendous joke and interrupts his own punchline with "UHHHH" and changes the subject

It's fascinating how frequent it is

Giving Matt Mira and Jonah Ray relevance is one of the worst things Chris Hardwick has ever done

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Relistening to the HH episode right after the Pauly Shore where they read SomethingAwful posts.

Funny and nice and good.
Oh drat, I must have skipped that one when I was back listening.did anyone here call then homos

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I swear this dude in Red Dead Redemption 2 is doing a Paul F. Tompkins impression: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfgRjcw4T4k

I love watching 8 minutes of video game footage

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Please do the one where This Is Us gets trapped on an elevator or something

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

What is Seth simons going to do when UCB closes forever

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

that stupid Tool ad had me bussin up on my drive to work

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I recently re-watched it for the first time since I saw it in theaters, it was better than I remembered. Really loving funny.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I felt like she absolutely did not like Sean upon meeting him and leaned into it for the show, making it a much better episode than the ones where guests obviously don’t like them but spend half the show trying to be polite

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

fadam posted:

Did anyone listen to the new HH yet? People seem to really dislike the guest lol.

I’ll be honest, I’m about 45 mins in and not totally on board, it’s kind of exhausting although it does have its moments. Then again, people seem to really like her so maybe I’m just not in the right headspace, or too old, or something.

Also I didn’t see any negative comments on Reddit which is odd.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 26, 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I almost don’t want them to do Radiohead because I like them and don’t want to get mad about their dumb opinions.

But I would like them to talk about Ed always sings “Ed” on Weird Fishes

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

We could just finally be getting the Peppermen podcast.

i still play this song for people and can sometimes convince them it’s a real rhcp

http://rhcp2014.com/

Edit: lol it’s really the peps. I’m on board, if only for the inevitable Jon Daly ep

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 1, 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I know (knew) very little about U2 and REM and I never finished the REM podcast but for the most part they are fun listens. The appeal for me was hearing them get excited about their favorite albums/bands and be huge nerds about them the way I am about my favorite albums/bands. Like everything else Scott has done for long enough they sometimes get mired in bits which were very funny the first 50 times, but it's still a fun listen most of the time. It's always OK not to listen to a podcast for any reason, but if you're a big fan of Scott you will probably like it.

Anyway, nothing will ever top Analyze Phish.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Just sucks that Robbie sucks hard. I wish they gave him even a little bit of humility or just realize that he doesn't know gently caress-all about basketball. But instead nobody says poo poo about it and just treats it as any other pipe dream. Dude if you want to be a coach you better know at least a little bit about the sport. You don't have to be good at it you just need to understand it. Especially at that level. I get that the show is not really about that, but I feel like a tiny bit of development would have helped the show out a lot.

he’s not a real guy

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tarranon posted:

there is some grade A bullying going on in the Harvey Guillén episode of HH. Antagonistic episodes are always pretty good but this is the rare one that never feels like it’s running out of steam. Reminds me of the first Scharp ep.

Yeah that was a great ep, kind of a throwback.

I wish they would upload some more clips of the zoom stuff where Sean's cats freak out

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

It would be a bad business decision for Stitcher to create their own RSS feeds. They'll definitely sacrifice a few subscribers like you to keep a much larger number of users in their walled-off app environment. Can't push your in-house podcasts for free if people are in another app.

More than that, they lose the opportunity to collect a shitton of data on listening habits (and probably other stuff, never used the app). I'd bet they're not making much on subscribers and the number of people using the unofficial RSS feed are probably a small fraction of subscribers anyway.

From scanning the reddit thread about it, the project was open source, so maybe someone else will take it over.

Sirius buying Earwolf can really only be bad news; best case scenario is that they let them continue to operate semi-autonomously for a while before folding them into the Howard Stern show and cancelling 75% of the shows

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m enjoying the talking heads pod more than I expected so far, probably because it’s the first band they’ve covered that I like and have owned a few of their albums for a long time but don’t know a ton about.

I’ll never understand Scott’s obsession with resequencing albums though

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

bump_fn posted:

this fuckjng sucks about the rss feed thing

supposedly someone else is going to try and take it over. prayer hand emoji

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I tried to get in on the $5 year long subscription to stitcher premium by complaining about the lack of an RSS feed but I never heard back :( does anyone know if it was a discount code?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Scott is 100% right about Chris Farts's book being big long lists about food and concerts. It gets a little better when he's not listing the entries in Tina's tour journal but it's still very much a slog about 70% of the time.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I don't see anyone talking about the Remain In Light ep of talking talking heads 2 my talking head, so I presume everyone has been silently enjoying the album. Tawny Newsome fit in well and I liked the dynamic between the three.

This live performance blows me away each time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7N2tFb0X8

Tawny was great, it's always nice to hear from an actual musician on these things. Not that she gets super technical but by virtue of spending a lot of time thinking about and learning their music she is capable of describing things in ways other than "this chorus is huge." And I could very much relate to getting into a band through taking a gig with a tribute act.

Also the entire Live in Rome performance is phenomenal, better than Stop Making Sense imo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

yorkinshire posted:

Masterclass is the greatest.

I think about “you ain’t Judd” all the time

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's a great joke. CBB 3+ years ago would have left it in. :colbert:

ha, did they really cut that?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

who the gently caress is skylar astin

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

american utopia is extremely good but I keep thinking about Mr. Burns not inviting any members of the talking heads to the entire tour, Boston previews, and broadway run. It’s a solid 70% Talking Heads songs. Ice cold

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

the hayes man's LA city counsel candidate won, beating out an incumbent endorsed by Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi (which seems really weird for a city counsel race but what do I know). hollywood handbook is finally catching on

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

crimedog posted:

#IWantMyCowboyTV

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Good for the boys. There's really no reason for any established show to be on Earwolf at this point.

Earwolf and stitcher premium were right that people would be willing to pay for podcasts but they got literally every detail wrong

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m a long time HH ads enjoyer but I couldn’t take this week’s, 30 minutes of ads are too much

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The thing about auckerman being a dick is real though

Probably already posted this but have heard second hand of weird interactions that could either be awkward or rude. Maybe a mix of both, but you don’t get to his level without any people skills.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

While I believe this, it's hard to ignore how weird it would be to go about your day, then to be stopped by a stranger, who may be nervous or have high energy, knows everything about you, and throws out some reference or inside joke you made somewhere in your 10 years of podcasting, and wants to talk and take a picture with you. Some comedians like Gabrus, PFT, the My Favorite Murder duo, Mike Mitchell, and I think Hayes Davenport are way more friendly and suited to that kind of interaction. If I saw Ben Rodgers, as much as I like the Action Boyz, I know to never approach or talk to him. Same with, like, Dave Anthony from The Dollop.

For sure. That poo poo is weird as hell and I don't think I'll ever speak to a podcaster I'm a fan of.

For the record I'm thinking of one anecdote I heard that wasn't that, it was someone who had worked with him -- possibly booked or hired by him? -- spotting him backstage at a show or festival, going up to say hello, and having Scott just turn around and blatantly pretend not to hear them. I heard this years ago before other people started teasing out Scott's personality on podcasts mentioned earlier. Could have been a misunderstanding, could have gone down differently than how it was described to me too. But it kinda tracks.

FWIW I also don't think it's a big deal. Like, I'm never gonna work for him. I just like his show.

WerthersWay posted:

It's really not. There's literally hundreds of funny people competing for every one comedy writing job. "You have to pass an rear end in a top hat test with the showrunner in your interview" or "this is a really small town, word gets around if you suck in a room" aren't just sayings, they're true.

But sure, Sean is a huge rear end in a top hat. And Nick and Mitch actually hate each other, it's not a bit! They want to kill each other because they disagree on fast food opinions.

Having never been in a writer's room I can't really speak with any authority but I get the idea that the main thing is being able to work collaboratively at least in the context of working on a script, and he's had steady writing gigs (I think he's a showrunner now?) so he's probably reasonable to work with. I get the sense that he probably also makes mean jokes that can cut someone to their very core. That might just be projection on my part after he accused one of the engineers of having "the muh-hums"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sinteres posted:

This randomly made me think about the engineer who went on mic when Jimmy Pardo guest hosted a very early CBB and Scott made a point of mentioning she no longer worked there anymore when he got back.

FWIW I think the HH guys were dicks about calling out the engineer who didn't want to be on mic anymore.

lol, they cleared that with the engineer ahead of time.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I’m very bummed about this but the story of Everest will live forever

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

also how the gently caress does the fbi not put that together themselves

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Did a masterclass relisten, it’s better than I remembered.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sinteres posted:

I hope they're not still making HH two years from now. It was my favorite show for a long time, but even with skipping episodes if I'm not excited about the guests these days, I like I feel like there have been some clunkers lately. I'm still excited when they guest on other pods, so it's not like I think they stopped being funny or anything, I just think the show is pretty tired now. My boys ranking is probably Action Boyz 1, Doughboys 2 and HH 3 atm.

I think they need to start being in the same room again or something. They have the zoom podcast editing thing down to a science but there's still some level of disruption in the rhythm.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Flaskraven posted:

The Boys did an ad for Blowback season 2 this ep. Also Hayes talked about Felix Biederman on Yeah but Still. Universes are colliding.

I know I'll never get the cum town/HH crossover of my dreams due to the boys being too nice, but there's really no reason for hayes not to have gone on chapo already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

yorkinshire posted:

HH reached out to cumtown to appear on each other's shows at one point, I doubt they would have a problem with a chapo appearance.

pretty sure you’re thinking of an ad swap someone at Earwolf proposed to cum town in an email nick happened to get and read on air.

anyway I don’t think going on Chapo is a particularly controversial move except for, like, k-hive people or the 40 people who think they’re secretly fash or whatever. Nithya did it. but I can only imagine he’s turned them down at this point