Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Well things were kinda smooth ish until they weren't anymore. Baby is about 6.5 months. Since we struggled with it around 3 ish months she's been in a pretty good rhythm of bath at 6ish, nurse to sleep at 630ish, etc. Suddenly she is napping around 430-5, regardless of when the previous nap was and now won't nurse to sleep very easily. She has also been waking up every hour to hour and a half all night.

I'm struggling because since giving birth I've been getting increasingly frequent migraines, and the sudden sleep issues are now causing the migraines to happen more and more often - I've had to take medication for the migraines 5 out of the last 8 days.

Not sure what to do and really hoping this changes soon. It's 815, she'd normally be asleep by now and so might I but she's basically just been refusing all night. Rocking, etc all seem to not be working right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Alterian posted:

It's threenager. I currently have one.
It's amazing, it's like a switch flipped the day our son turned 3. He's been so cranky and his first response to everything is "NO!" even if it's something he actually wants ("NO!...yes"). His dad walked into his room in the morning and was greeted with "NO! Get away dad" with a huge stink eye. Boy's got some Big Feelings right now..... and jokes on him he's about to become a big brother in a month! hAHaahaaa....

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I made some applesauce and pureed carrots for a first test of real food for the 4-month old. He was really confused at the applesauce at first but then couldn't get enough - if we weren't shoveling more into his mouth RIGHT NOW time to cry. Carrots were also enjoyed.

Next week we try sweet potatoes and broccoli, somethings with a less sweetness. Along with good results on eating and him desperately crying to crawl when he flips over, I just feel very lucky about his progress and growth. Hasn't ever been sick yet too, just waiting for that day so I can feel so anxious and worried.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
We got our son a little potty even though his daycare will only do diapers until he enters the next class up in a couple months. We showed him it and he already knows what potties are for but he sat on it and took a poop right away, and now all his poops for three days have gone in the potty and he tells us when he needs to use it. :dance:

Haven’t worked on pees at all but drat is it nice to have to wipe less area.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Stupid fatso keeps wailing at 4am. Apparently loud enough to wake up my wife but not me.

He's fine, still under blankets and calms down at like the slightest touch apparently. But he keeps waking her up several times a night doing it.

She asked me to please sleep lighter so she could sleep through the night and welp I dunno how to fix that.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

Well things were kinda smooth ish until they weren't anymore. Baby is about 6.5 months. Since we struggled with it around 3 ish months she's been in a pretty good rhythm of bath at 6ish, nurse to sleep at 630ish, etc. Suddenly she is napping around 430-5, regardless of when the previous nap was and now won't nurse to sleep very easily. She has also been waking up every hour to hour and a half all night.

I'm struggling because since giving birth I've been getting increasingly frequent migraines, and the sudden sleep issues are now causing the migraines to happen more and more often - I've had to take medication for the migraines 5 out of the last 8 days.

Not sure what to do and really hoping this changes soon. It's 815, she'd normally be asleep by now and so might I but she's basically just been refusing all night. Rocking, etc all seem to not be working right now.

I think we dropped the third nap around that age. Maybe try going straight from nap 2 to bedtime? In our case that was about 2:30 to 6:30 or so.

(Also, if baby needs to nurse to fall asleep, maybe it’s time to work on sleep training? I know not everyone is into that though.)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

Stupid fatso keeps wailing at 4am. Apparently loud enough to wake up my wife but not me.

He's fine, still under blankets and calms down at like the slightest touch apparently. But he keeps waking her up several times a night doing it.

She asked me to please sleep lighter so she could sleep through the night and welp I dunno how to fix that.

Set up shifts and tell her she's free to elbow you heavily when it's your turn

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Benagain posted:

We had a similar situation and I ended up setting my alarm to 2 am and just waiting for 30-60 minutes for whenever the baby would wake up. It definitely sucked though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
On the subject of sleep training, my boy is 11 months now and the usual routine includes a bottle as the very last step before transferring him to the crib. At what point should I stop feeding him as I put him to bed?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

remigious posted:

On the subject of sleep training, my boy is 11 months now and the usual routine includes a bottle as the very last step before transferring him to the crib. At what point should I stop feeding him as I put him to bed?

I’m only one month ahead of you so I have the same question. We just swapped from formula -> whole
Milk but the little dude still takes 5-8 oz before bed.

Thinking about a day when we stop the bedtime bottle just made me super sad. I love the little ritual of feeding him and watching his eyelids get heavy and kissing his little cheeks. Then we read some books. At least the books and the cuddling won’t go anywhere, and it will be nice when his love for page turning can be tamed to not destroy paper pages.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Benagain posted:

I suggested this. She said it doesn't matter because she's already awake. She has a real hard time falling back asleep if woken up by anything at all and it's only gone into overdrive with the baby.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

I suggested this. She said it doesn't matter because she's already awake. She has a real hard time falling back asleep if woken up by anything at all and it's only gone into overdrive with the baby.

You sleep in the same room as the kid for a few nights then so you're closer? Or if the kid is in your room, she goes and sleeps in a different bedroom?

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

L0cke17 posted:

Earplugs for her and a baby monitor for you. That’s what we have to do, and eventually I was able to convince myself that baby/toddler is Not My Problem when I’m off-duty. My husband will also sleep in a separate room when he’s on-duty sometimes. As much as it’s awkward to admit, I sleep better when I don’t have to feel him get out of bed overnight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At least 30 nights in the first six months, we slept in different rooms because that's what you need to do to be functional 3 days a week and not get fired at your 5 day a week job

It is ok

I also have way waaaaaaay more respect for single moms now

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Silent Linguist posted:

I think we dropped the third nap around that age. Maybe try going straight from nap 2 to bedtime? In our case that was about 2:30 to 6:30 or so.

Probably the third nap, thank you for that.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 7, 2021

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

space uncle posted:

I’m only one month ahead of you so I have the same question. We just swapped from formula -> whole
Milk but the little dude still takes 5-8 oz before bed.

When we switched from formula to milk we started only giving him fluids while he’s in his high chair, and only in a cup. (We still have to put some of his milk in a bottle for him to finish it, but he’s slowly getting better about the cups.)

I have no nostalgia about bedtime bottles though, because my baby is a weirdo who goes directly from wide awake to asleep without any cute snuggly stage.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

remigious posted:

I don't know that you have to. Going to sleep on a full stomach my help him to sleep through the night instead of waking up hungry, if that's an issue. Otherwise discuss it with his Pediatrician at the 12 mo visit with regard to his overall weight.

I know some Pediatricians promote getting most calories from meals (solid foods) after 12 months and just drinking water, but if daycare (if he's in daycare) is feeding three cups of milk a day to keep the kids happy that might be the trajectory you're on. If you are doing whole milk they say to limit to 16 oz a day which could be three small cups at daycare and a small cup before bed. But if his weight is fine and he's not constipated--it's fine?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I love vacations with a baby. “Parenting in another place” indeed. At least she slept through most of the flight on the way here. As an insanely high strung type A person I’m working real hard to go with the flow, whatever the hell that means.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

nachos posted:

I love vacations with a baby. “Parenting in another place” indeed. At least she slept through most of the flight on the way here. As an insanely high strung type A person I’m working real hard to go with the flow, whatever the hell that means.

Traveling has gotten a little easier for us now that the twins are almost 2, but yeah I still get anxiety before and during trips.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Not to be flippant, but I realized recently it’s also ok to just start saying no to things much more. People without babies can come visit us, or else we’ll see you in a few years.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

JackBandit posted:

Not to be flippant, but I realized recently it’s also ok to just start saying no to things much more. People without babies can come visit us, or else we’ll see you in a few years.

This is where we are, except if you also have kids, don't come at all. I'm not sure if it's just my lovely family/friends but every time we visit/are visited by other parents, they try to foist their kids off on us. As if it's no big deal to watch over a few more kids since we're already taking care of one.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Words to describe my lovely 3yo in polite company: strong-willed, adventurous, determined, spirited.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't know that you have to. Going to sleep on a full stomach my help him to sleep through the night instead of waking up hungry, if that's an issue. Otherwise discuss it with his Pediatrician at the 12 mo visit with regard to his overall weight.

I know some Pediatricians promote getting most calories from meals (solid foods) after 12 months and just drinking water, but if daycare (if he's in daycare) is feeding three cups of milk a day to keep the kids happy that might be the trajectory you're on. If you are doing whole milk they say to limit to 16 oz a day which could be three small cups at daycare and a small cup before bed. But if his weight is fine and he's not constipated--it's fine?

Yeah, this. Also, if you can sneak in a tooth brushing between the end of the bottle and books and cuddles, that covers the tooth decay aspect of night milk.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Current status update: literally hiding in the bathroom, considering moving to hiding in the closet.

My daughter has one of her neighborhood friends over along with her older brother. Everyone is screaming excitedly. Loud noise making toys are being used. My son is a maniac. My dad is here to help my wife and i. But dear god all the loving stimulation.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I’m so irked at babies daddy. I have both of them at home today, he said he would come entertain them this morning. He usually shows up around 10am. Last night was hell. Took two hours to get my toddler to fall asleep, and at 10pm right after she fell asleep the baby woke up. Then baby was up again at midnight. At 2am toddler was screaming in her room, I went in and she said there was a scary dinosaur in her room, so I chased it away and laid next to her in her bed. However she was charged up and spent until 5am running around and playing. Then the baby woke up again around 4, I considered just being up for the day, but I finally got both of them back to sleep at 6, then we all got up a bit before 8. I texted babies daddy that I hope he showed up today because it was a horrible night and I could use a nap. It was almost 11:30am before he texted back that he just woke up and didn’t feel good so he wasn’t coming.

Toddler was with her dad and his parents this weekend, and her sleep routine gets so messed up there. He lets her stay up really late, when at my house she is never awake past 9pm. She said they watched scary dinosaurs on TV.

Meanwhile a good friend just got divorced, and it was over in a couple weeks. Here I am stuck waiting until February for a court date and am going to spend a ton of money on a lawyer because he wants so much from me. I feel like it’s never going to be over. And when it is, he gets to just run around doing whatever, making no changes to his life, while I spend all but four days a month with both kids, and I’ve changed my nursing schedule to one I don’t like, to accommodate daycare, and I’ve picked up a second job because I’m working at the hospital way less than I used to. When am I going to be able to go on dates when I’ve got two little kids? He can go date whoever, whenever, and I’m now a thousand times more undesirable because I’m a divorced mom with babies.

I’m feeling very bitter if you can’t tell.

E: It’s not like I’m even thinking about or ready to date, it’s more theoretical. I don’t have time to shower every day, let alone go out and do stuff with people.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 8, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm not saying dating will be frictionless for you, because it won't be, but I think you are beyond severely overestimating how easy he's going to have it.

He's going to be a self-centered divorced guy who clearly has little interest in being involved in his kids' lives and can't even be relied upon to show up when he says he will. Anyone who can math can also see the age of the baby and how long he's been separated and draw some pretty damning conclusions. He's the adult dating scene equivalent of the streak a cat with worms leaves on the carpet, and will have a hard time landing any relationship that isn't deeply dysfunctional or involve monetary compensation.

Which he totally deserves.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If it gives any comfort I think that stigma's *finally* starting to fade - I met my wife when she was going through the final stages of her divorce and was overjoyed to have a kid already in the deal.

Currently waiting to get this loving batshit judge to sign off on her dumbass final orders so we can appeal them. Horsefucker's attorney submitted a brief basically written in crayon claiming he can get fifty/fifty custody which might have given our own a stroke trying to parse. Fingers currently crossed this clown show stays stuck in limbo until after our christmas possession.

Also let me tell you there is no finer birth control on the planet than having a bunch of kids running around shrieking for four hours. Cured us both of how thoughtful we'd grown after holding a friend's 7 month old loaf of chill baby last weekend.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Biodad lost his job. Again. It's not like we even rely on the CS, it's the principle of the thing.

He works at a BBQ place. The grill caught fire while he was drinking water and he put it out. With a literal spit take. Got written up then and there, then shitcanned a few days later. But hey, he "needed a new job anyway".

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
We started potty training about 6 weeks ago. Going pretty well but this last week saying "It's time to go use the potty!" leads to absolutely catastrophic meltdowns. Like, worse tantrums than anything I've ever seen him do, 45+ minutes of losing his poo poo. He's not constipated, and daycare always tells us how well he's using the potty there. He's ~21 months.

Any ideas? We haven't been doing treats or stickers or anything.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is he capable of realizing when he needs to use it on his own yet? Maybe just move it out into the living room so he knows it's always available.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

How often are you asking him?

The tiny tyrant gets pissy if I ask her at times but she's also twice as old as yours (even if it's been a thing since she was fourish). Sometimes it's because I ask too soon after she's already gone or her mom asked without me knowing and she's feeling badgered.

Other times she's just being a patoot.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Does anyone have recommendations for a self sustaining aquarium? There are so many to choose from, and I think my daughter would love to have some little shrimp or possibly a fish as a present.

Also I received another text from baby’s daddy that was meant for his mistress. It would seem like things are on the rocks with them, if not over. Good. I’m glad the two of them blew up their families for a brief fling.

Edit: Maybe an ant farm? She would love that. Is it possible to get ants in the winter?

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 9, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Koivunen posted:

Edit: Maybe an ant farm? She would love that. Is it possible to get ants in the winter?

Looks like yes, as long as it isn't below about 40° where you are a lot of educational gift places will ship them. There's a couple farms on Amazon like this one or this one that come with a certificate or code for ants.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Saw this article and thought of this thread. This years mother box in finland. Gonna have to google translate it tho. The corona epidemic is apparently creating a bit of a baby boom so they are releasing 2022 version early because the 2021 stock has run out.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10009996

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How about a betta fish? Those things are pretty resilient without requiring too much maintenance.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

nwin posted:

How about a betta fish? Those things are pretty resilient without requiring too much maintenance.

Seconding this one. My daughter likes the one we've had for about two years and the thing managed to survive the frozen hellweek we had here in Texas at the start of the year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Saw this article and thought of this thread. This years mother box in finland. Gonna have to google translate it tho. The corona epidemic is apparently creating a bit of a baby boom so they are releasing 2022 version early because the 2021 stock has run out.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10009996

drat that poo poo is so loving cute.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Koivunen posted:

I’m so irked at babies daddy. I have both of them at home today, he said he would come entertain them this morning. He usually shows up around 10am. Last night was hell. Took two hours to get my toddler to fall asleep, and at 10pm right after she fell asleep the baby woke up. Then baby was up again at midnight. At 2am toddler was screaming in her room, I went in and she said there was a scary dinosaur in her room, so I chased it away and laid next to her in her bed. However she was charged up and spent until 5am running around and playing. Then the baby woke up again around 4, I considered just being up for the day, but I finally got both of them back to sleep at 6, then we all got up a bit before 8. I texted babies daddy that I hope he showed up today because it was a horrible night and I could use a nap. It was almost 11:30am before he texted back that he just woke up and didn’t feel good so he wasn’t coming.

Toddler was with her dad and his parents this weekend, and her sleep routine gets so messed up there. He lets her stay up really late, when at my house she is never awake past 9pm. She said they watched scary dinosaurs on TV.

Meanwhile a good friend just got divorced, and it was over in a couple weeks. Here I am stuck waiting until February for a court date and am going to spend a ton of money on a lawyer because he wants so much from me. I feel like it’s never going to be over. And when it is, he gets to just run around doing whatever, making no changes to his life, while I spend all but four days a month with both kids, and I’ve changed my nursing schedule to one I don’t like, to accommodate daycare, and I’ve picked up a second job because I’m working at the hospital way less than I used to. When am I going to be able to go on dates when I’ve got two little kids? He can go date whoever, whenever, and I’m now a thousand times more undesirable because I’m a divorced mom with babies.

I’m feeling very bitter if you can’t tell.

E: It’s not like I’m even thinking about or ready to date, it’s more theoretical. I don’t have time to shower every day, let alone go out and do stuff with people.

Honest to God I loving hate this man so goddamn much. Absolute pile of poo poo.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Koivunen posted:

Also I received another text from baby’s daddy that was meant for his mistress. It would seem like things are on the rocks with them, if not over. Good. I’m glad the two of them blew up their families for a brief fling.

Do you think he would try to come crawling back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Koivunen posted:

It was almost 11:30am before he texted back that he just woke up and didn’t feel good so he wasn’t coming.

Kind of curious what that piece of poo poo’s relationship with his parents is like because at this point they should be pretty goddamn embarrassed.