Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

^^^^
Check out google family link, you can set limits on phone usage, limits for the whole phone like a schedule (lock at 20:00 for instance) or have limits per app. At least she likes books and reads already, that's a huge plus.

It’s funny, everyone always says that it’s good that she reads, but she does it instead of doing anything else. Pooping? While reading, brushing teeth? while reading, Watching TV? While reading.

We also got a call from her new school just after she started, that they had to confiscate her book that she had on her lap during lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna give my kid a cellphone at the same age I was given a knife: too young to reasonably expect anything other than him losing it or hurting himself with it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Oodles posted:

It’s funny, everyone always says that it’s good that she reads, but she does it instead of doing anything else. Pooping? While reading, brushing teeth? while reading, Watching TV? While reading.

We also got a call from her new school just after she started, that they had to confiscate her book that she had on her lap during lessons.

That was me as a kid and I turned out fine a goon. She's doomed.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Oodles posted:

This sounds like my wife, from what she's told me, and also a couple of my classmates in fifth grade. My wife ended up with a Master's degree and my classmates are now a nurse and a PHD in chemistry, respectively.

I guess my point is, the whole reading thing is not gonna make her stupid, at least.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"I'm gonna be on the phone for just a minute, so I'll need you to be quiet and not try to ask me anything, okay?"
"Okay"
*dials phone*
"DADDY HOW DO YOU SPELL CIRCLE? C-... HOW DO YOU SPELL CIRCLE? DADDY I DON'T KNOW WHAT COMES AFTER C! HOW DO YOU SPELL CIRCLE?!?"

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oodles posted:

Our daughter's always reading too! It was to the point we thought she was using it to ignore us, but her psychologist said it's probably part of her ADHD, and it's hyperfocus or seeking more stimulation on top of what she's already doing.

We ended up getting her audiobooks- either on cd, or these playaway things from the library, or through the library's app on one of my old phones (I stripped it of almost every other app, and use Google family link to set boundaries on it). She listens while doing homework. It's so much easier for her to pause the book, than stop mid-sentence reading. We also put using audiobooks on her 504 plan with school, so she can listen during busy work.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oodles posted:

I used to read as I walked from class to class. I don't know how I wasn't constantly running into people.

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm gonna give my kid a cellphone at the same age I was given a knife: too young to reasonably expect anything other than him losing it or hurting himself with it.

Can you break the tip off a cellphone trying to pry a knot from a plank of wood?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pham Nuwen posted:

I used to read as I walked from class to class. I don't know how I wasn't constantly running into people.

Can you break the tip off a cellphone trying to pry a knot from a plank of wood?

Can you hold a knife pointed upwards, about 24 inches from your face, and stroke the flat side in an upward motion for hours on end?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Oodles posted:

I just wish my kids would read anything just once... They just want to watch idiots on youtube who talk loudly and annoying and destroy things or fill pools with orbies or whatever they're called, the worst kind of dreck. I've developed such a hatred for these youtube personalities having to listen to them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Can you hold a knife pointed upwards, about 24 inches from your face, and stroke the flat side in an upward motion for hours on end?

I think even before phones many teenagers spent hours stroking something ~24 inches from their face.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not sure how this came about but now when my kid hears a fart she goes "Hahaha a butt! Silly!"

I'm so proud

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reading in class is fine, me and several classmates did this in elementary school. At some point we got it into our head more pages -> higher quality story so we all started reading wheel of time in 4th grade since that was the physically thickest book we could find at the library at the time

I am not a big fan of switching them from books to audio books. Being able to parse the written word in a focused, sustained manner is a super critical skill in today's world. Audio books are good for listening to on your commute though

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This sounds like my wife, from what she's told me, and also a couple of my classmates in fifth grade. My wife ended up with a Master's degree and my classmates are now a nurse and a PHD in chemistry, respectively.

Pretty similar outcome

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 1, 2023

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’ve had my daughter’s classmates over (3rd grade, so 8-9) and the things they talk about doing to each other with unfettered cell phone access scared me off it to the point where I re-passworded the iPad too. Just constant unsupervised social bullying via text or calls or video calls.

My daughter got a kids smart watch - she can text and call but it’s kinda obnoxious, and that’s the point. She also can ask to use the iPad but it’s for limited time and also very limited apps. Maybe we’ll revisit around 11-12.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

lI am not a big fan of switching them from books to audio books. Being able to parse the written word in a focused, sustained manner is a super critical skill in today's world.

I don't think people are replacing but more as a supplement. Hearing the spoken word does assist with grammar and reading much like drawing helps with reading comprehension and something else if I recall. A lot of experiences are tied together.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter is like an away team contacting the Enterprise:

Uh-oh!

What is it?

You'd better get down here!

Can you explain what's happening...? Because if Netflix froze again I'm mid-poop!

I don't know what to call it but trouble!

(What in the fu) *sigh* Acknowledged, Riker out. Computer, one to beam down...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Well what was it?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Had to explain to my son this morning that "sharing is caring" does not apply to the cane I'm using to walk while my achilles heals.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Last night while my daughter was changing in to her pajamas and we noticed that she had no underwear on.

There were no undies in the bathroom. They weren't stuck in her pants. They were just nowhere to be found.

When confronted, she said she didn't know... didn't know where they went, didn't know when she last had them, didn't know if she ever had them. We're not sure if she forgot to put them on in the morning, or if she took them off at some point during the day.

So the case of the missing undies remains unsolved.

Definitely double checked this morning to make sure she at least started the day with them...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Well what was it?

She'd tried to get berries for herself and the container opened and berries fell everywhere and several berries rolled under the stove and fridge. I don't know how she did all that so quickly or quietly, nor why she couldn't tell me those details. Guess she wasn't sure where to start?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Toddler boy is a lil sick and I'm pounding Emergen-C over and over

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

KirbyKhan posted:

Toddler boy is a lil sick and I'm pounding Emergen-C over and over

Same here. I know studies say it doesn’t work but gently caress it I don’t eat enough fruit anyway.

I think my kid noticed the sunlight for the first time in his life today? Woke up absolutely insanely furious demanding we “turn it off”. Huge tantrum. He has now tantrumed so hard he is silent and prone in his pack and play, considering the vile and perfidious radioactive explosion in the sky.

Man I really hosed up his bedtime schedule on vacation, not looking forward to getting it back to normal. We stuck the pack n play in the same room as us so I’ve been sleeping better than I have in months. Now he simply looks over and is assured we are there rather than waking up in his own room and crying until we come in and stay.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looking for some thoughts on this:

In a couple of weeks my sister is coming to visit for a week and is bringing her 5 year old daughter. The kid has expressed a desire to sleep in the same room as my 2 year old who she is obsessed with, and they only get to see each other once or twice a year since they live 1000 miles apart. Should I just let them try it out and see how it goes for a couple nights or can this only end in disaster? My toddler has good sleep hygiene so far, going to bed more or less at 7, staying asleep and not getting up till between 7 and 8 am. I really don't want to risk messing that up over a cousin's sleepover for a week but maybe I am over thinking things.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Brawnfire posted:

She'd tried to get berries for herself and the container opened and berries fell everywhere and several berries rolled under the stove and fridge. I don't know how she did all that so quickly or quietly, nor why she couldn't tell me those details. Guess she wasn't sure where to start?

She was just emberrysed at dropping them, ok? :(

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

nesbit37 posted:

Looking for some thoughts on this:

In a couple of weeks my sister is coming to visit for a week and is bringing her 5 year old daughter. The kid has expressed a desire to sleep in the same room as my 2 year old who she is obsessed with, and they only get to see each other once or twice a year since they live 1000 miles apart. Should I just let them try it out and see how it goes for a couple nights or can this only end in disaster? My toddler has good sleep hygiene so far, going to bed more or less at 7, staying asleep and not getting up till between 7 and 8 am. I really don't want to risk messing that up over a cousin's sleepover for a week but maybe I am over thinking things.

I think this is one of those parenting moments where you make yourself miserable to give your kid (or your sister's kid) something memorable. Their sleep disruption is more of a problem for you at these ages. It might end in disaster for you, but the kids will probably love it... and if they don't, they can just sleep in separate beds.

Granted neither of these kids is going to really remember this, but it'd probably be good for them if you want them to have a cousin relationship.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just paid my last month of daycare ever after paying it for more or less 10 years straight.
The before and after school care the school charges is pennies in comparison.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Went to register my older son for kindergarten yesterday. As the registrar handed me the uniform policy paper, she also said "oh I need to add the clear backpacks and lunchboxes for next school year." Yep, clear backpacks for kindergarteners because we can't be arsed to solve the actual loving problem. I don't even know where to start this conversation with my kid because he's going to be sad he doesn't get to pick out a rad new backpack and will 1000% want to know why the gently caress not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any recommendations for high chairs?

Like should I get a fixed one, or is a clamp-onto-table one good?

My boy is still a bit young, but it may be good to get him used to it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

We have OXO Tot Sprout. It can be configured for a wide range of sizes, and my 3yo is using it without the tray nowadays.
It's nice and sturdy, conversions/adjustments are super simple, and steps allow the kiddo to climb up by themselves.

I'm super pleased with that choice.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
A bear got into the trash at daycare and that’s been the topic of conversation for all of tonight.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our daughter asked us to pause the last episode of Ted Lasso because she had to go potty and didn't want to miss anything. Kiddo, you haven't watched a second of this.

Also, who kid's sings when they poop?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, my daughter has a poop song

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Lil bee is approaching ten and she still belts out tunes on the can.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My sister and I had babies on different sides of the country, and the cousins meet tomorrow!! My baby will be 4 months on the 7th and her cousin is 2.5 weeks younger but apparently bigger than her. My sister's family is coming to stay with us on their first big trip and we're going to see how this goes!

Additional complications (let's do this on hard mode!) - 1. we live with my father in law who is a 97 year old Orthodox Rabbi, and my sister is married to a woman. My father in law has suggested the children of lesbian couples were illegitimate in the past.
2. My sister's wife is quite particular about things and touchy about vocabulary, like she chewed out my mom for saying father rather than sperm donor.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
While my wife was away for a week on business? Daughter was fine, had a good routine. Literally seconds after my wife comes back? I'm ignored, hit, and basically treated like poo poo by my daughter. I don't know how to describe this discord but ugh is it ever present.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

WrenP-Complete posted:

My sister and I had babies on different sides of the country, and the cousins meet tomorrow!! My baby will be 4 months on the 7th and her cousin is 2.5 weeks younger but apparently bigger than her. My sister's family is coming to stay with us on their first big trip and we're going to see how this goes!

Additional complications (let's do this on hard mode!) - 1. we live with my father in law who is a 97 year old Orthodox Rabbi, and my sister is married to a woman. My father in law has suggested the children of lesbian couples were illegitimate in the past.
2. My sister's wife is quite particular about things and touchy about vocabulary, like she chewed out my mom for saying father rather than sperm donor.

This sounds like it’s working up to a word problem and I was ready to solve it.

Anyway hope the cousins get along! Sounds awesome, I’m jealous they’re so close in age.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

gbut posted:

We have OXO Tot Sprout. It can be configured for a wide range of sizes, and my 3yo is using it without the tray nowadays.
It's nice and sturdy, conversions/adjustments are super simple, and steps allow the kiddo to climb up by themselves.

I'm super pleased with that choice.

Your 3 year old will still sit in a high chair? drat lucky

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

space uncle posted:

This sounds like it’s working up to a word problem and I was ready to solve it.

Haha I never sleep anymore. I'm glad you were up for it!

And I'm not sure how well a 13 week old and a 15 week old can really get along or even acknowledge one another, but I guess we are about to find out.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 3, 2023

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Eeyo posted:

Any recommendations for high chairs?

Like should I get a fixed one, or is a clamp-onto-table one good?

My boy is still a bit young, but it may be good to get him used to it.

We used the IKEA one for all our kids, super easy to set up and tear down. Makes it great and easy for taking on trips.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

WrenP-Complete posted:

Haha I never sleep anymore. I'm glad you were up for it!

And I'm not sure how well a 13 week old and a 15 week old can really get along or even acknowledge one another, but I guess we are about to find out.

They will probably mostly both just lie there making sounds but it will still be cute anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Some jerk at my 2.5-year-old's daycare taught her to pronounce L-M-N-O correctly. :mad: