Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Good_Haro posted:

I'm not really talking about the infodump excuse bullshit so much as how shocked Akane seems by the whole thing. Why would you even take this job if you knew that's what it entailed and objected to it so strongly?

I'm not asking for anything but the basic premise to not be riddled with holes.

This was literally addressed in the series when she was told to forget everything she learned in school because the real world isn't anything like what she was taught.

She didn't know what the job entailed because it's not what she was taught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Guyver posted:

Have you seriously never watched a cop show/movie before?

Just because it's cliche doesn't mean I take offense to it.

And it's not as if it's unrealistic, either - at least anecdotally, anyone who's gone to college for engineering would've come into a, "All this poo poo I learned in college was worthless" moment. It's not exactly a huge suspension of disbelief that the things you learn to become a police officer aren't exactly what you get when you start the job.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

MagicalDuck posted:

I love Madoka and Fate/zero, but I hated this.

If you judged Madoka and Fate/Zero by their first episodes they'd have been pretty lovely too. Fate/Zero especially was even more egregious of an infodump than this first episode.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dan7el posted:

I don't know if there is any single answer to that question. I think your answer is good, but I also thought it was more that her murders were thematically similar to her father's art style and therefore led directly to the police investigating her -- much sooner than he expected.

He did actually provide her with the chemicals she needed to preserve the bodies. I can't imagine, then, that the copycat nature of her murders was either a surprise or disappointment. I think the problem was how she used the same themes her father used in his work.

Would've been nice if he'd explained it to her before killing her.

That art dealer/collector was pretty awesome.

Seemed to be pretty clearly about ~Originality~.

I don't know if the speed of her capture has much to do with it, he could've helped her escape if he wanted to keep her.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is this a 13 or 20-something episode series? The pacing is starting to seem off to me for a 13 series.

I'm kinda now freaked out at the minute possibility of dozens of people who have their brains in jars FOR SCIENCE :science: to develop that cyborg technology :ohdear:

22 episodes. I don't think there's a break either, so it should keep running through the Winter season.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

Pretty much everyone that commits a crime has some way of justifying it. Pathetic robot guy must have felt just as strongly that his victims had to die. I think it's probably going to just be left unexplained. He just has a brain tumor or something and it's throwing off the scanner.

I don't think it'll be left unexplained at all; I think they'll find out that Akane scans exactly the same way as the big bad. Then they'll have to explore the reason!

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
So the beginning of episode 1 is chock-full of spoilers, if anyone fancies a rewatch of the opening.

Specifically there's a really small thing that's now apparent:

(Future development spoiler)Makishima develops some kind of helmet that fakes Sybil reports. Kougami tries to kill the dude with the dominator, but can't until he breaks a part of the helmet. Then he unnecessarily fires on the dude as he falls a remarkable distance for ~cool~ factor. Why he's still trying to face Makishima with the dominator is beyond me.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I think that they pointed out that her psychopass had been damaged by the event and that during the memory recovery her criminal co-efficient had spiked momentarily specifically to discount that she might be an outlier like Shogo.

It seemed to be basically spelled out to me.

I'm still under the impression that Akane is an outlier, I just think that the difference between them is that Shogo knows how to specifically influence the cymatic scan.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm trying to think of the most Urobuchi-esque solution to what runs Sybil, without resorting to the cliche Minority Report "imprisoned esper children" or something. My best guess is something like police lady setup all of this, including the dispersion of all inspectors away from the tower, in order to lure and trap Makishima into Sybil's core since Sybil is powered by the brain of the rare person that the system doesn't affect, but then Makishima dies and police lady is disappointed but oh look Akane is here... :shrug: It took 15 episodes, but I'm finally kinda intrigued by the plot!

Actually if you compare where we are now to the start of episode 1, it looks like we've already seen where this is going. Mask-man in the intro to Episode 1 is wearing the same uniform the dudes at the end of the last episode are. Kogami apparently gets split up from the others and confronts Shogo at the top.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Giggily posted:

The Dominator shot melted the nail he shot at her, and the liquid metal is what melted her skin and clothes.

That is a keen eye for detail.

This show started off pretty weak but it's gotten rather good, especially in these latest episodes.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr_Amazing posted:

I dn't get what was going on this episode. So the inspector has Kogami transfered to the other division so that he's not down a man. Then the chief just rolls up, accuses Kogami of something (not even sure what) and tries to murder him in front of everyone. Why did she suddenly decide to kill him and why do it in such an obvious way?

They were swapping enforcers between divisions so that Kogami would be able to independently help track down Makishima, instead of being trapped in their office. The Chief was onto it, and she didn't want Kogami anywhere near Makishima because she knows he'll [try to] kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Could be doesn't mean will be. I'd like a second season, but there's no sense in holding out for it.

For now, I'm still waiting for new seasons of Tiger & Bunny and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

• Locked thread