Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I committed to 3 separate Thanksgivings worth of dinner rolls and planned to use King Arthur’s sourdough version, but apparently NOBODY carries potato flour around here. Luckily that non-sourdough recipe Thumposaurus posted is basically the exact same but with instant potatoes instead. Didn’t know that was a viable alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Vinny the Shark posted:

I'm making some dinner rolls as well for Thanksgiving. I made an initial batch today since I haven't made bread in a long time and I need the practice. I mixed the ingredients and kneaded the dough by hand for about 7 minutes. I left the dough in a greased bowl, covered it and let it rise for about 1 hr 20 min. However, it didn't really expand as much as I'd hoped it would. I think it's because my condo is quite cold, and I couldn't find a good, warm spot to let the dough expand. I can't really warm up the place either, since I would have to put the heater on ridiculously high and I don't really want to do that.

Any tips for letting dough rise when you've got a cold house? Does it just take more time in a cold room? I also considered turning my oven on briefly, turning it off and letting the bowl sit in the oven, but that's not ideal.

Edit: Here's the recipe I'm using, if it helps-
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/soft-buttermilk-dinner-rolls/

I boil some water in the microwave then pop the dough in with it. Keeps it warm and humid.

I did a test run on my dinner rolls as well, pretty pleased with the result. I was going to bring them to a family get-together tonight but my wife convinced me we should keep them for lunches this week. “They’ll get them on Thursday!”