Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

mugrim posted:

What is there to rule on? Federal law trumps state law, where is the legal ambiguity?

He's talking about this I believe.

http://grist.org/food/seeding-justice-monsanto-vs-soybean-farmer-case-hits-the-supreme-court/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Not quite. http://www.theweedblog.com/meet-the-plaintiffs-of-asa-v-dea/

The americans for safe access website is apparently getting hammered right now, since I guess this happened today.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...1ApaQrTFgivHHew

It looks like a long drawn out legalese version of "hey you fuckers we asked in 2002 for you to look at marijuana again and you ignored us loving pay attention!"

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

Eh I disagree that polling is the dominating factor here. There's a lot more to this politically I think -- the institutions surrounding hyperincarceration and police militarization, justification for military intervention in Latin America, etc. Even if the country were polling like 75% in favor of legalization I doubt there'd be any change at all in federal posture surrounding this.

IDK, the almighty dollar might speak at least for this drug in particular. There's still cocaine, heroin, and meth to around to justify the prison state.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Hobelhouse posted:

IDK, the almighty dollar might speak at least for this drug in particular. There's still cocaine, heroin, and meth to around to justify the prison state.

Heroin, cocaine and meth are used way less frequently than marijuana though. There is over 5 times as many current marijuana users than users of those other 3 combined.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

ChipNDip posted:

Heroin, cocaine and meth are used way less frequently than marijuana though. There is over 5 times as many current marijuana users than users of those other 3 combined.

And you know, Heroin, Cocaine and Meth are all highly addictive drugs, 2 of which can and often do have absolutely debilitating effects on peoples bodies in extremely short timeframes. There's that too.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Weed is such a great way to shovel people into the system, though. It's bulky (compared to other drugs), it smells very strongly, and it stays in your system far longer than any other substance. Those other drugs just don't really have those qualities, the cops are going to have trouble meeting quotas if legalization happens :(

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Muck and Mire posted:

Weed is such a great way to shovel people into the system, though. It's bulky (compared to other drugs), it smells very strongly, and it stays in your system far longer than any other substance. Those other drugs just don't really have those qualities, the cops are going to have trouble meeting quotas if legalization happens :(

This type of tinfoil hattery needs to stop in this thread.

Locking people up results in a net loss for both state and federal governments. Perhaps it helps to ensure that departments that enforce the laws and incarserate the offensers don't have their departments downsized, but that's irrelevant to what we're talking about here. What we're talking about here is legislation, and law enforcement agencies have jack all to do with that - with the rare exception of some testimony they might provide on the matter. The testimony that they usually provide is siding with everyone in this thread already.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JollyGreen posted:

Locking people up results in a net loss for both state and federal governments.

But not for the private prison industry, which is not a marginal case to be glossed over.

Edit: vvvv Also that, as well as pure institutional/cultural inertia. vvvv

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 16, 2012

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Public institutions and agencies also aren't necessarily out to turn a profit, but you better believe that for the most part they'll do something that's a net loss to the taxpayer if it ensures their continued existence. Whether the issue at hand is drugs or not.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

mdemone posted:

But not for the private prison industry, which is not a marginal case to be glossed over.

Exhibit A

Corrections Corporation of America's 2010 Annual Report:

quote:

demand for our facilities and services could be adversely affected by the relaxation of enforcement efforts, leniency in conviction or parole standards and sentencing practices or through the decriminalization of certain activities that are currently proscribed by our criminal laws. For instance, any changes with respect to drugs and controlled substances or illegal immigration could affect the number of persons arrested, convicted, and sentenced, thereby potentially reducing demand for correctional facilities to house them. [PDF] http://goo.gl/MRcnx

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 16, 2012

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

mdemone posted:

Edit: vvvv Also that, as well as pure institutional/cultural inertia. vvvv

They actually are a marginal case nation-wide (however awful they are) - not to mention the forces that made marijuana illegal and continue to keep it illegal existed well before 'for-profit prision' was even a concept.

e: The reason that discussion annoys me so much is because the principal reason recreational use is still illegal is 'drugs r bad'. The only thing holding back the legalization movement is the motivation of people that support it; the intelligent people need to get out there, change public opinion, and protest.

Spouting conspiracy theories that reinforce the idea that the system is fixed at every level is not only not true, its demoralizing to the effort. That is not at all the message that people need to be sending.

JollyGreen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 16, 2012

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Not that this was the plan from the start but the idea that law enforcement likes weed because it's an incredibly low barrier for loving with people isn't tinfoil hat nonsense, it's fairly basic. I mean look at the Stop and Frisk thing in NY if you need an example. I don't know if you can say that "drugs r bad" is the reason they're still illegal. That stigma contributes, of course, but there's also a huge amount of money involved and of course that's going to play a part as well.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Public institutions and agencies also aren't necessarily out to turn a profit, but you better believe that for the most part they'll do something that's a net loss to the taxpayer if it ensures their continued existence. Whether the issue at hand is drugs or not.

This as well. Drug prohibition employs an incredible amount of people, in the public and the private sectors, and those groups are going to fight against anything that takes money off the table.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Muck and Mire posted:

the idea that law enforcement likes weed because it's an incredibly low barrier for loving with people isn't tinfoil hat nonsense, it's fairly basic

Exhibit B:

quote:

As for who is being arrested now, Pat Slack, commander of the Snohomish Regional Drug Task Force, says it isn't usually people who are just out to get high.

Slack, who is opposed to legalizing pot, says marijuana busts are an important part of law enforcement’s arsenal when it comes fighting crime.

For example, he says, as an officer, you might get a call to go to the local 7-11 because of a public disturbance. You get there and find the perpetrators have marijuana on them. You can book them and take them to jail.

Or, perhaps, you have a major crime case. The police can hold the suspect on a marijuana charge to buy time while they investigate.

“Whether it’s a robbery or murder or rape or burglary, or whatever. So, yeah, it’s a tool,” he said. http://kplu.org/post/will-legal-marijuana-make-police-less-effective

Call me crazy but I don’t think we should make things illegal just so that the police can use it as a pretense to arrest and detain people.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 16, 2012

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

JollyGreen posted:

They actually are a marginal case nation-wide (however awful they are) - not to mention the forces that made marijuana illegal and continue to keep it illegal existed well before 'for-profit prision' was even a concept.

e: The reason that discussion annoys me so much is because the principal reason recreational use is still illegal is 'drugs r bad'. The only thing holding back the legalization movement is the motivation of people that support it; the intelligent people need to get out there, change public opinion, and protest.

Spouting conspiracy theories that reinforce the idea that the system is fixed at every level is not only not true, its demoralizing to the effort. That is not at all the message that people need to be sending.

The system doesn't need to be "fixed at every level"--whatever that even means--for there to be an entrenched (and even a popular) interest in maintaining an institution like the War on Drugs that plays a crucial role in post-Jim Crow disenfranchisement of minorities.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is a pretty big part I think. After decades of "tough on crime" legislation, politicians do not want to stick their neck out to be the soft on crime guy that tries to actually make something legal again. By and large, they'll support it's criminal status right until the moment it's politically viable to support decriminalization.

It also doesn't hurt that police agencies profit from drug seizures. Drugs r bad certainly plays a role, but there are definitely other large factors in play that help keep the war on drugs running than the notion that they are bad for you.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

PokeJoe posted:

It also doesn't hurt that police agencies profit from drug seizures.

Exhibit C - The Department of Justice’s Office of Inspector General's recent audit:

quote:

for the period of October 1, 2000, through September 30, 2011, the DEA and other federal agencies processed over 150,644 seized assets valued at about $9.2 billion of which $5.5 billion (60 percent) originated from seizures processed by the DEA and $3.7 billion (40 percent) originated from seizures processed by other federal agencies. http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/2012/a1240.pdf

quote:

Federal government will buy Ill. prison for $165M

$151 million would come from the department’s assets forfeiture fund http://www.daily-chronicle.com/mobile/article.xml/articles/2012/10/02/1040b0d7842b4b9e88fcae7a234da4a3/index.xml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDXYqUfvaVc

KingEup fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 17, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JollyGreen posted:

This type of tinfoil hattery needs to stop in this thread.

Locking people up results in a net loss for both state and federal governments. Perhaps it helps to ensure that departments that enforce the laws and incarserate the offensers don't have their departments downsized, but that's irrelevant to what we're talking about here. What we're talking about here is legislation, and law enforcement agencies have jack all to do with that - with the rare exception of some testimony they might provide on the matter. The testimony that they usually provide is siding with everyone in this thread already.

No, asset forfeitures are a major source of police department funding. In some cases they are the sole source of funding.

quote:

When I pulled the drill bit out there was pieces of money on it, currency. Inside the compartments we discovered 80 bundles of U.S. currency. He disavowed knowledge of everything," Tamez says.

The bundles contained $1 million. According to the law, 80 percent of that will go to the Kingsville Police Department. So that one afternoon's work will boost the department's budget by 25 percent.

"Law enforcement has become a business, and where best to hit these narcotics organizations other than in the pocketbook? That's where it's going to hurt the most. And then to be able to turn around and use those same assets to benefit our department, that's a win-win situation as far as we're concerned," says Kingsville Police Chief Ricardo Torres.
Federal and state rules governing asset forfeiture explicitly discourage law enforcement agencies from becoming dependent on seized drug money or allowing the prospect of those funds to influence law enforcement decisions.

There is a law enforcement culture — particularly in the South — in which police agencies have grown, in the words of one state senator from South Texas, "addicted to drug money."

Part of the problem lies with governing bodies that count on the dirty money and, in essence, force public safety departments to freelance their own funding.

In Kleberg County, where Kingsville is the county seat, Sheriff Ed Mata drives a gleaming new police-package Ford Expedition bought with drug funds. This year, he went to his commissioners to ask for more new vehicles.

"They said, 'Well, there ain't no money, use your assets,' " he says. He says his office needs the money "to continue to operate on the magnitude we need."

Another county agency, the Kingsville Specialized Crimes and Narcotics Task Force, survives solely on seized cash. Said one neighboring lawman, "They eat what they kill." A review by NPR shows at least three other Texas task forces that also are funded exclusively by confiscated drug assets.

The concern here is that allowing sworn peace officers — who are entrusted with enormous powers — to make money off police work distorts criminal justice.

"We're not going to sidestep the law and seize people's money just for the financial gains of the department," Tamez says. "It's not going to happen."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91490480

quote:

In a rather creative study, Miller and Selva50 used covert participant observation to document asset forfeiture activities. One of the authors acted as a confidential informant for a city's undercover narcotics operation after he established a relationship with drug enforcement officials in the area. The results of the study were startling; agents were selective in their enforcement efforts, and the goal of seizing assets took precedence over the goal of taking narcotics out of circulation.†

† Referring to one case where a drug dealer received a large quantity of cocaine, Miller and Selva reported the following: "The researcher...was surprised when he was instructed to observe the suspect's transactions to determine the rate at which the cocaine was being resold. Less drugs meant more cash, and the agent’s objective was to seize currency rather than cocaine. The case was successful as to proceeds, but perhaps not in view of the quantity of cocaine that officers knowingly permitted to reach consumers" (Miller and Selva, 1994, p. 328).

The Miller and Selva study was published in 1994, well before federal forfeiture reforms were put in place. Even so, some more recent studies have raised similar concerns. For example, the author of one study surveyed 1,400 law enforcement administrators from around the nation and found that more than 60 percent of them either agreed or strongly agreed with the statement that "forfeiture is a necessary budgetary supplement for my agency."51 The authors of another study found that law enforcement agencies in restrictive forfeiture states receive considerably more equitable sharing payments than their counterparts in generous forfeiture states.52 The logic is that the agencies in restrictive forfeiture states teamed up with federal officials to participate in adoptive forfeitures, in an effort to enhance the prospects of receiving forfeiture proceeds.
http://www.popcenter.org/Responses/asset_forfeiture/print/

quote:

If one peruses court documents, one will find cases with bizarre names such as The People v. One 1999 Buick. In criminal proceedings, the government must provide wrongdoing beyond a reasonable doubt before gaining the power to incarcerate an accused person. But local governments realize that, under civil forfeiture laws, they can seize houses and cars and cash based on a low standard of evidence.
Columnist George Will wrote earlier this year of a case in Massachusetts, where law enforcement is attempting to take the motel owned by a family because of allegations that some visitors there dealt drugs from their rooms. “The U.S. Department of Justice intends to seize it, sell it for perhaps $1.5 million and give up to 80 percent of that to the Tewksbury Police Department, whose budget is just $5.5 million. The Caswells have not been charged with, let alone convicted of, a crime.”
http://reason.com/archives/2012/08/10/why-asset-forfeiture-abuse-is-on-the-ris

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

35 U.S.C. 161 Patents for plants.

Whoever invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant, including cultivated sports, mutants, hybrids, and newly found seedlings, other than a tuber propagated plant or a plant found in an uncultivated state, may obtain a patent therefor, subject to the conditions and requirements of this title.

re: weed patents.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

All Of The Dicks posted:

35 U.S.C. 161 Patents for plants.

Whoever invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant, including cultivated sports, mutants, hybrids, and newly found seedlings, other than a tuber propagated plant or a plant found in an uncultivated state, may obtain a patent therefor, subject to the conditions and requirements of this title.

re: weed patents.

Potato supremacy.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Asset forfeiture is awesome because you can spend it on whatever the gently caress you want.

Like more drugs and hookers

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
One thing, if they seize a bunch of drugs how do they get money for it? It's not like they can go out and sell them.. can they?

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Why not, who's gonna stop them?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Sad Panda posted:

One thing, if they seize a bunch of drugs how do they get money for it? It's not like they can go out and sell them.. can they?

That's why we need undercover police:

quote:

[officers] Ramos and Ferguson are accused of using lights and sirens to pull over the undercover officer. According to court documents, they took a bag containing 18 kilos of cocaine. They then handed the drugs off to a civilian named Alexi Matos, 38. http://www.khou.com/news/crime/HPD-officers-accused-of-stealing-drugs-appear-in-court-164716596.html

See? The answer is always 'more police'.

Prohibition is like the goose that laid the golden egg and just keeps on laying.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 17, 2012

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

They use these drugs to sell to criminals to get busts. So its nothing but money for them. Its great and they are not going to give it up. Even if 90% of the nation wanted it to be legal it will not be. They would just turn the nation into more of a police state. Nothing short of revolution will fix this problem(and a lot of other problems this nation faces).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xeom posted:

They use these drugs to sell to criminals to get busts. So its nothing but money for them. Its great and they are not going to give it up. Even if 90% of the nation wanted it to be legal it will not be. They would just turn the nation into more of a police state. Nothing short of revolution will fix this problem(and a lot of other problems this nation faces).

Less common than you may think.
The majority of the money comes from forfeiture. As you can expect a drug dealer will have a non-insignificant stash of cash stashed away, his car can be auctioned, so can his belongings.

Think of it like a free hostile takeover. The police end up with all the detainee's assets.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Less common than you may think.
The majority of the money comes from forfeiture. As you can expect a drug dealer will have a non-insignificant stash of cash stashed away, his car can be auctioned, so can his belongings.

Think of it like a free hostile takeover. The police end up with all the detainee's assets.

Also I'm pretty sure drugs use to pay informants are drugs that were never reported as seized in the first place.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

:2bong:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Holy loving fuckballs. Colorado AND Washington. I need to loving move.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Holy poo poo.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Haha holy poo poo we (WA) just legalized weed. That's amazing. :420:

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
Russell Wilson, look into your heart and find the warrior within.
It is your destiny.

~:Seattle Seahawks:~
gently caress ALL Y'ALL

HOW MY NUT TASTE

IMA SMOKE A SPLIFF AND EXHALE INTO THE FACE OF A NEWBORN

WASHINGTON STATE HATERS

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
It is your destiny.

Not to mention same sex marriage passed. American politics always leaves me full of despair and pessimism but for the next few days I can be happy. A tiny step in the fight against the prison-industrial complex.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Good job guys.

Make the feds pay.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

YOU COULD SAY THAT THE PROPOSITION...

PUFF, PUFF, PASSED

BRB MAKIN BACON
Mar 22, 2007

I am Tuxedo Mask.
It is your destiny.

Muck and Mire posted:

YOU COULD SAY THAT THE PROPOSITION...

PUFF, PUFF, PASSED

possibly the best post I've read on SA

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't sleep on Barry O

Malfy
May 22, 2011
So proud to be a Washingtonian right now. Even my relatively red county (Spokane) passed 502. 30 days till I smoke carefree, gently caress da police :350:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So this 60 year old guy is arguing with me that Homeland Security is going to enter these states and "crush" this based on a 60 year old UN treaty. Any more knowledgeable goons with thoughts on the issue?

I just told him Homeland Security and the UN have way, way more important things to do, and that I'll believe it when I see it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
FOX News on Colorado and Washington: Don't break out the cheetos and goldfish right away. The federal government will fight it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

escape artist posted:

So this 60 year old guy is arguing with me that Homeland Security is going to enter these states and "crush" this based on a 60 year old UN treaty. Any more knowledgeable goons with thoughts on the issue?

I just told him Homeland Security and the UN have way, way more important things to do, and that I'll believe it when I see it.

I have no idea about Homeland Security and the UN but yea, the feds aren't gonna be down with this. Obama's not pro-weed. It should be interesting, though, we have 2 states that just voted to legalize it, you can't ignore that. No, you really shouldn't go make a big blunt and light up on the street, but there's really no telling how this'll play out.

• Locked thread