Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Muck and Mire posted:

The ability to grow legally (kinda, there's still the federal thing) will lower prices and then the tax will raise them again. I think overall it'll be cheaper or equal to what you'd pay now. There will still be a black market but the best analog is probably homebrew beer, and that's a nonissue in most jurisdictions. I mean, buying from a dealer sucks.

It would need to be legal at the federal level to kill prices. Once Phillip Morris starts growing it, it should be comparable in price to cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

RichieWolk posted:

Cocaine is already more legal than marijuana (Schedule II). Let that sink in: the government says that there is more medical use for cocaine (and less risk of addiction/harm) than marijuana.

Well you see, it's the difference between a rich white man's drug and a drug that "others" use. It would be loving beautiful if we got some drug rescheduling out of this. The response from the right wing would be something to behold as well.

BLACK MAN LEGALIZES MARIJUANA

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Miltank posted:

I have long suspected that republicans are going loop right back around to the left of Obama on accident.

The future leftist party of the USA will be the Republican Party after their POLITICAL_IDEOLOGY overflows and wraps around to anarchism.

Completely unsurprised that Obama is a shithead on drug policy though. Doesn't poll quite strongly enough yet and he'd have to deal with the fallout of changing drug schedules as a black president.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

a lovely poster posted:

Yeah, that fallout would be nasty. I mean, Fox News would definitely run some pretty nasty attack ads. Definitely not worth pardoning the tens(hundreds?) of thousands of non-violent offenders in jail due to smoking the same goddamn thing he did. Definitely not worth attempting to reform the biggest domestic public policy debacle of the past forty years. It's not like we need the additional revenue. Plus, just because we imprison more of our citizens per capita than any country on Earth, doesn't mean we can't step that sucker up a notch.

Yes siree, that fallout would be terrible! Vote team blue! We'll defeat those dastardly Republicans some day.

Didn't say I agreed with it. Just saying Obama does have a history of this kind of political cowardice so I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Does the president have enough authority to get the FDA to reschedule marijuana away from schedule 1? Or start the process?

The executive has unilateral power to reschedule drugs, so yeah he can do as he pleases without congress on this issue.

computer parts posted:

How many of those are actually in federal prison?

Drug Offenses: 89,669 (46.8 %)

http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 22, 2013

• Locked thread