Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh, I really need to wander into D&D more often.

It seems as though a good 90% of the people I work with listen to and believe all the right wing media. All day long I get to listen to them talk about whatever talking points were on FOX News, Rush Limbaugh, The Drudge Report, and Alex Jones. The scary thing is they all believe it.

On Tuesday they all decided that they had to go buy guns before Obama could talk them away. Come Wednesday they were all talking about the guns they bought (or at least applied for thanks to the waiting period), all handguns, you know nothing that would be banned under an assault weapons ban. Yesterday they decided that they needed to go to the gun store for lunch.

I also had someone attempt to goad me into commenting on the state of the modern government by talking about how the Mayans fell because taxes were too high. Same guy was talking rather excitedly about how thanks to the Planned Parenthood abortion factory, that the percentage of black people in the US would be down to the single digit (prefaced by "I'm not a racist, but...)

This is all a giant change for me. The guy I used to work with was a registered Republican. Last time I talked to him was about two weeks before the election and even he had enough sense to know that Romney was a lovely candidate that he wouldn't be voting for. We used to listen to Coast 2 Coast together and laugh about the craziness of Alex Jones (after one Alex Jones rant about "Black Ops Physics" we picked that phrase up as our dogwhistle that someone was nuts, same with "puppy dogs, rainbows, and unicorns" when one was being a giant hippie).

Back to the current situation, there used to be a guy who was pretty reasonable, but he got a new job and was out of there with minimal words, and I can't say as I can blame him. They would literally gang up on him all day long about being a liberal. As for me, I can't quit until after I've been there a year, so I just keep my head down and stay out of it. We're supposed to get a new building in February, so I'm hoping I can just sit in a corner somewhere away from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

beatlegs posted:

I've heard endless stories like this about people having to work next to crazy nutfuckers all day. Yet only the right has permission to bitch about being shunned and persecuted by society. Go figure.

I know part of it, at least for me is I'm usually cursorily informed about things. I don't have the massive in depth knowledge of anything like you guys do, but I usually have enough to know better. I really can't counter whatever the daily talking point from the conservosphere is. Even if I did it would fall on deaf ears, and be reflected back on me being labeled a "bleeding heart liberal." I saw how they treated the other guy, I'd rather just keep quiet, since it's not really worth it.

My friend refers to it as "intellectual waterboarding."

I do have to say from what I've heard there, it must be extremely stressful being on the right, you literally have to be afraid of everything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Honestly the Coast To Coast AM membership is an awesome investment, you get to hear all the crazies in one place. I'll be honest though, the first time I heard Alex Jones, it was pretty far removed from the way he is now.

Some years ago during my dumpster diving days, I found a CDR labled C2C 04/04-05/04. Not really knowing what it was I popped it in to find that it was a bunch of old Coast 2 Coasts. One of them has Alex Jones talking about the Bohemian Grove. The thing is, he's pretty calm in that episode and acts like one of George Noory's typical guests, just talking about whatever the conspiracy theory is on it. These days he's a raving lunatic.

EDIT:
I have a friend who posted some Alex Jones on her facebook, pleading that everyone listen to it. Just reading the caption, I guess he's going off about how Obama ordered the Sandy Hook shooting as a conspiracy to take away our guns.

She used to be pretty sane before she won a settlement and became a hippie in Hawaii.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2012

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I would love it if White House would "leak" a blatant Photoshop of him shaking hands with Stalin or and have the conservatives eat it up.

The thing is, I can totally see Obama doing that for shits and giggles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Unzip and Attack posted:

I personally know people who believe and espouse both positions vocally. Umberto Eco even said that it's a part of the fascist mindset - constant re-framing of the message creates confusion in the minds of the cult's followers, leading to a belief that enemies of the state are both incredibly strong (thus requiring eternal vigilance) and incredibly weak (and are thus doomed to lose against the people). In Obama's case, I think them labeling him as a bumbling fool somehow makes them feel better about losing to him badly twice. I know it doesn't make sense but I think it's more of a defense mechanism than anything else.

I was told that I didn't understand "modern communism" the other night at the bar when I called someone out about "the 47%" who don't pay income tax.

I think I'm going to buy a copy of the communist manifesto on payday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ah, Fox Radio. I tend to avoid it as much as possible because it makes me angry. I really only to listeing when it's 1am and I can't sleep because the local affiliate plays Coast to Coast AM.

Anyway, my local station's schedule indicates that the slot before C2C is Mark Levin. This dude is nuts, I swear every time I have the misfortune of a little bit of time to kill, he's always comparing what's going on in US politics to The Walking Dead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vriess posted:

we call him Master Shake around these parts. He is hilarious. He's always yammering about "The Constitution" but I don't think he's ever read it.

I always catch him on Walking Dead tangents, I don't stay up that late often, especially now that the party apartment below me was evicted out, so I actually sleep all night. It's hillarious, but sad that he seems to really believe that the Walking Dead is some kind of portent of our future. It's also terrifying that the people who call in believe it.

Re: Global Warming.
I heard some talk about that last night at the bar. Of course when I tried to interject, I was informed that it's apparently a well known fact that meteorologists are paid to be liars.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gozinbulx posted:

Question: How do the urban ferals get converted into flesh eating monsters?

Obamacare

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guilty Spork posted:

The entire zombie thing just gets worse the more you think about it. The earliest zombie type stuff (I Am Legend, the original Night of the Living Dead) had something interesting to say, but it devolved into this lovely survivalist fantasy where all the people you hate (not to mention the GUBBMINT) get killed because they're big stupid heads. My favorite zombie scene is the bit at the end of Shaun of the Dead where the army shows up, and suddenly the "zombie apocalypse" is a trivially easy mop-up operation for professionals with assault rifles. It so perfectly runs against what has become the typical zombie movie narrative.

In the good zombie movies, the zombies are pretty much just a looming threat, and the real danger are the people you're with.

baw posted:

Meteorologists try to predict weather, climatologists study climate. It's an important distinction to make because meteorology is a soft science but climatology is not. :eng101:

There's no difference to these type of people though, they all predict the weather :downs:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ReindeerF posted:

Except it's unlikely that their dead would turn into Injuns!

It doesn't even have to be the dead turning into injuns. Tensions were pretty drat high after the indian wars. A former coworker of mine had some writings from his great grandfather. Out in nowhere Kansas the indians would stop by a lake near their property when passing through and the kids had to hide while their mother waited inside with a shotgun until they went on their way.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hasters posted:

Well I Am Legend, the novel, is explicitly an allegory for race relations and was written at the start of the real push for racial equality. Don't forget Neville lives in Compton, which at that time was a majority white, legally segregated suburb.

I hadn't caught on to that, consider my mind blown.

Seems like it would be an allegory that the right would catch on to considering the looming threat were vampires.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fulchrum posted:

There's just as much to say that its about conservative overreaction and freakout about civil unrest and racial equality. Mindless, brainless consumeristic hordes who will try to kill, with no shred of human mercy, anyone who is not one of them.

Ever wondered why the black guy always dies first in a zombie movie?

Uh, black guys survive 'till the end in the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, I've watched a lot of poo poo zombie movies since they're all over Netflix, and the badass black person who survives a long time is kind of a stereotype. Which is stupid in its own right, but it certainly is the more common thing.

Ben, the original black guy survivor, wasn't even intended to be black, he was just best for the part. So, all the racial connotations attached to NOTLD are unintentional. :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's basically an externalization of "I have a job, they do not. Ergo, I automatically am morally superior."

I attempted to knock some sense into someone with my personal experience with having to use government assistance. The reply I got was "you're different." No matter how I put it, I couldn't get around the fact that I'm apparently different, which led to a story about how he joined the Army to get ahead (he was mid to late 40's). :jerkbag:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I want to know who the GOP thinks is the target audience for the constant always-pay-for and austerity talk. To me it seems like if you're someone who wasn't that hurt from the recession, then by now you'd have to be skeptical of the people saying the sky is gonna fall any minute now and we better milk the saftey net to be sure. And everyone else who was hosed over just sees you making GBS threads on them. What's the point? Dickwaving to avoid primaries? Seems like a pretty dangerous item to be playing with without a big upside.

Is it really so bad in their fever swamp that they can't even pick their battles anymore? They just go all in every hand and then eat it? It doesn't seem that way, they got away with actually writing a budget that lasts longer than 5 seconds when the defense lobby was about to take the hit. So why can't they muster the balls to let unemployment benefits go through without a big fuss?

The state of Ohio raised their minimum wage by $0.10 on January 1st. Someone in my facebook feed (currently unemployed as well as unskilled by the way), made a bitchy post about what is wrong with people because she had to work so hard to get to that rate once upon a time. There is no logic to the people who they're preaching to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This is something that has been rattling around for a while in my head. The fixation on gold being "recession-proof."

An ounce of gold is about $900 per ounce, and an ingot of that size is approximately the size of two quarters.

If their wet-dream of hyper inflation and economic collapse happens what good is having all you money tied up in gold? It's not like the grocery store is going to accept it let alone make change. Even if it did make change for it , it would be in good old worthless USD.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Gold's value is currently measured in how much currency you can exchange it for. If Mad Max breaks out, good luck trading shiny rocks for survival essentials. Maybe people will be willing to part with scarce necessities, but it isn't assured.

I figure that what would really happen would be the free market actually working properly.

Interestingly enough I was in Turkey back in 2005. At the time they were switching from Lyra to Yeni-Lyra. The difference between them was that they dropped 6 zeros from the new bills. I kinda wish I had saves a 20,000,000 Lyra bill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of the routes I take home has a big old "tell congress to impeach Obama" billboard. At best due to the area I live in, that's just an echo chamber type thing, but I roll my eyes every time I pass it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

Death Race, 2000 for starters.

Death Race 2 was pretty good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

snorch posted:

That's the worst part of the whole thing. There's no sense that Blitzer is doing anything to facilitate a clean discussion on the topic. I see this kind of thing all over the place, with talking heads just trying to talk over each other, and quite frankly I don't know why anyone hosting such a discussion would let that fly. Go ahead, cut the other person's mic until it's their turn. Maybe instate a talking stick. If they're gonna behave like bratty eight-year-olds, they should absolutely be treated as such.

I don't think they can even be facilitated properly. If they did do something like cut the mic and demand staying on topic, they'd be on Fox News the next morning decrying how the liberal media won't let them speak the truth that America needs to know!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monkey Fracas posted:

Protip: if someone says they listen to and agree with Rush Limbaugh and think Glenn Beck is not crazy :siren:do not argue with them about anything vaguely political:siren:

They are too far gone.

Pretty much. I had two of those on my Facebook, one was someone I went to high school with who went off the deep end, and I got tired of him posting baseless FOX News oppionions on things I posted, so I deleted him and blocked him.

The other is an aquantance who will probably end up in the same book when I'm no longer aquanted. She doesn't post on my wall, but I get her posts occasionally and it's just maddening to read. They all start with her doing something for ($husband), and bitching about some libertarian talking point. The most recent one involved buying an ice cream cone at Burger King (why? It's loving freezing outside), and how the order of the person in front of her got screwed up, so she goes into a rant about how the federal government shouldn't be raising the minimum wage because these kids live in mommy's house. Every one of her posts is like that about something, if I didn't know her and enough about her situation it would be kind of funny, but I really want to just punch her and tell her that these things she's railing against would be extremely helpful to her (I don't think if she is making much more than $10/hr).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

My understanding is actually that she's not a little old lady but that her and her husband run their own roofing business or something like that.

Like usual obfuscation and carefully articulated half-truths touted as facts to make the black guy in office look like the most evil commie hitler jew that ever existed. At this point whenever I hear a republican soundbyte on the radio, I want to punch someone in the face. IT's always atack the president for something and not offer anything to the actual problem.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

comes along bort posted:

Weird question but have any of the usual suspects gotten pissy over CVS's decision today to stop selling cigarettes and tobacco?

Talking head for a "smoker's rights" organization was on NPR saying they're hypocritical because they still sell junk food, not sure if that counts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Madmarker posted:

Wait....what?

IS this actually a thing, because......I mean, isn't it like REALLY obvious that more people live in cities than otherwise? (In the United States)

Yup, you know how those maps that display which way the state went politically in presedntial elections. There's more "land area" to the rural states that go red, so therefore they're the real America, and the coasts should gently caress-off to LIEberal Land and let the real Americans run the place :unsmigghh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's a lot of factors that contribute to it but yes, it's real. For example in my state (Washington) we are treated every year to Republicans who will either say or imply that Seattle "skews" statewide elections and policy and that it doesn't deserve to do so, with the explanation of "Why not?" always boiling down to the idea that a partisan county map should also serve as a population density map somehow.

Back around the end of Bush II's first term, me and my coworker (who was a registered Republican), were making jokes about Clinton and Bush being roomates in hell. Another coworker came up to me just shaking because we had said "Bill Clinton" and flat out told me "the only reason you're a Democrat is because you're from Seattle and don't know any better." (I was living in Kansas at the time by the way)

EDIT:
I realized that was around 10 years ago now, so it could only have gotten worse since then. :psyduck:

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2014

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Similar images run through my Facebook feed on occasion, it's pretty annoying because it's all just echo chamber bullshit. It's not like anyone already a liberal/democrat/progressive is going to look at a picture like that and say "look at those crones I better vote Republican from now on!"

It's also always the standard Fox news tactic of glamour shot of Sarah Palin vs. Hillary Clinton taking a bite out of a cheeseburger. I guess conservatives have to sit around and talk about how ugly those filthy liberated women are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OAquinas posted:

People are literally complaining about the IRS investigating tax cheats.

I've tried explaining that to some people before, I just get one of the following responses:

- POLITICAL PERSECUTION!!!
- No taxation without representation@!!!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember there was a discussion similar to this a few years back, except it was about "christian comedy."

The biggest problem with attaching a label to yourself as a comedian is that label always comes first, so a "conservative comedian" is always going to skew conservative before being a comedian. Whereas a comedian who happens to also be conservative will go for what is funny, and you may not even know what their political beliefs are asside from some small interjections here and there.

I mean, you certainly can't determine what Patton Oswalt believes during his bit about KFC's Famous Bowls.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rakovsky maybe posted:

I strongly encourage you then to go outside and maybe talk to a real Republican rather than getting all your news from D&D.

I dunno man, he has a pretty accurate picture of all the real Republicans I've talked to.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes drat that Obama for driving a tank disguised as a limo rather than a motorized tricycle! :argh:

The place I used to work at commissioned a similar vheicle for driving around in Mexico, and I located the specifications for it, you're not kidding at all about them being tanks disguised as limos. Apparently during one trip it almost ended in disaster because they physically cannot roll down the window.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheQat posted:

For reference, The Beast:

precisely the kind of thing macho types would normally find cool, but they can't be arsed to learn about it

edit: better readability

The thing about information like this is, this is only the stuff that has been declassified.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh, I just heard a radio ad about primarying John Bohner, since I live in the Cincinnati area (I actually live in Bohner's district, about two miles away from his house, and considered running against him out of boredom). Basically it consisted of "John Bohner makes back room deals, sign a petition to have someone run against him in the primaries, because of Nancy Pelosi and Obamacare!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/11/5495288/glenn-beck-thinks-thomas-edison-was-a-bad-man-movie

"Conservative pundit Glenn Beck is making a movie that he hopes will expose the truth about celebrated American inventor Thomas Edison. In a wide-ranging interview with the National Review, Beck said that although Edison is widely seen as "this nice, kind of, good old Thomas," his film will expose him for the person he really was: "a bad man who was electrocuting animals."

Glenn Beck was right

To be fair, Edison was a dick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

No it was the actual rapture. That plane was the only decent thing on this planet.

I'm convinced they ended up in the past and the Langoliers got the survivors :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea that's also pretty important. Hank and his friends, for the most part, are the good guys but they also have a decent bit of episodes where they're just flat wrong and stupid. Like when the Laotian neighbors moved in and it was an entire episode of 'Hank is a fuckin moron about Asian people and even though Khan's kinda a dick Hank is straight up kinda a racist here'. It shows the people as good, deep down, but it's also pretty honest about the flaws they have.

"He's not Chinese, he's Laoutian. Ain't ya, mister, Kahn?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I've heard this mentioned quite a bit. Can you elaborate on it for me? What did the old (poo poo) plans cover? Just routine visits and antibiotics and things? Or nothing at all?

I don't know much, but from what I hear, a lot of these plans were just discount plans, meaning you paid them money to get a discount on things that you would still have to pay out of pocket for. Basically insurance companies being predatory.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

kik2dagroin posted:

I'll try to keep this as short as possible: Limbaugh actually had an interesting caller on yesterday which provided a great look into the Republican id
TL;DR:
:v: Hey Rush, we need to find a meaningful message that connects with voters instead of scaring off people by being negative 100% of the time
:bahgawd: The problem isn't our message, it's liberals and Obama

I love (by that I mean, it's one of the fastest ways to actually infuriate me), how Rush kinds of people make it sound like living on food stamps or welfare are a cakewalk.

They've obviously never met someone that does, they've never been to their house and seen all the things that they've juryrigged to keep working. They've never seen the contents of their refrigerator.(or lack there of).

They've never put together how hard they really are working at an actual job that is full time or more, on top of just not being able to make it and physically needing that paltry amount of money that really does go into making sure they don't starve to death.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know if it's considered premium or anything, but it's definitely sold as an up-market beer. I can't remember offhand what it tastes like because we've had so many good microbrew pubs open up in my town in the last few years that I'm all but swimming in great beer.

I had a date where the girl decided she was done drinking and made me finish her Stella. I've never drank skunk piss before, but I'd wager a guess that's what it tasted like.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nativity In Black posted:

This is basically a no win situation for him politically. If he sends in troops the Republicans will bitch about him getting us involved in another conflict, if he doesn't they will bitch about how he is weak and lost our war.

So you mean just like every situation that has happened since he took office?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A. Obama is trying to deflect blame for Benghazi

Nah, it's just a distraction for the trade of 5 Talibans for 1 Deserter.