Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, just finished up Minerva's Den. Not surprising to see that its from the team that eventually made Gone Home; that storyline is taut and condensed while still being respectful of the Bioshock ethos.

Its also a stupid amount of fun. Especially awesome to see the team really balancing and thinking through when to give me certain weapons - I hardly used the speargun in the main game but came to rely upon the rocket spears since the gun had an acceleration upgrade.

I never used security bullseye but it quickly became indispensable in Minerva's Den.

Its right up there with Episodes from Liberty City as the most satisfying DLC I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yay, the game bluescreened my computer 20 minutes after the most recent checkpoint. Thanks autosave only!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Great, that's twice in a row at the same spot. Right after I hit the elevator button to enter the Hall of Heroes the game immediately crashes and bluescreens the computer. Tried updating my video drivers, but no luck. Any thoughts?

edit: I was able to get through to the next check point by running in DX9 mode temporarily. I'm not sure why that spot causes a blue screen in DX11, there's not even any interesting special graphical stuff happening. It's just a fuckin' elevator.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 12, 2014

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Whoever mentioned the two-weapon thing is crazy wrong about gameplay options. Having two weapons gives you a primary that you rely On and a secondary that you swap out all the time based on ammo, but none of the firefights were in any way balanced or interestingly designed around that limitation. Dudes drop weapons, and that is about the extent of its use in the game. If there were real moments of tension based on the weapons available, or any amount of thought given to the reloading of guns and the ammunition you have left, I could get into it, but Infinite is the laziest implementation of the two-weapon system possible and it's an actual shame on the studio for including it.

Any positive aspect that the two-gun system has is entirely replicated by having access to all I them, the limitation being on ammo and how it is spread between guns. If I want to mainline a machine gun, I still will, I'll just be able to swap between a pistol or carbine or shotgun or grenade launcher based on what I need and have ammo for, not what weapon is arbitrarily laying around after killing an enemy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I think that this game suffers from the one problem that plagues pretty much all FPS with wide-open spaces: the sniper rifle is just too strong. Once you've got the sniper rifle, tactically there is little reason to get close.

Recipe for sucess:

Step 1. Don't enter any large areas.

Step 2. Lurk around the entrance.

Step 3. Shoot all enemies in the head with the sniper rifle, one by one. Most will stand there and take it, but some will seek cover briefly before charging, so you can shoot them in the head as the run towards you.

Step 4. Proceed into empty area.

The claustrophobic environs of Rapture largely made this a non-issue in BS1 and BS2.

Of course, BSI offers a variety of places to fight (and some very dynamic battlefields, too), but I rarely ever dropped the sniper rifle after I got it. Once upgraded, it is ridiculously powerful against machines (turrets, flying drones, patriots), too.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think that this game suffers from the one problem that plagues pretty much all FPS with wide-open spaces: the sniper rifle is just too strong. Once you've got the sniper rifle, tactically there is little reason to get close.

Sniper rifle + Volley gun is all you will ever need.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just finished Infinite. I may have actually enjoyed Bioshock 2 a bit more but it was still pretty good. How do people feel about the DLC/Season Pass stuff for Infinite?

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Lakedaimon posted:

How do people feel about the DLC/Season Pass stuff for Infinite?

Well, I thought the pass was a little pricey for what you got. I actually enjoyed Clash in the Clouds. If you liked the combat in the main game, you'll probably get a kick out of the arenas. At the end of the day, the unlockable Museum content was pretty meager.

I really liked Burial at Sea, it was exactly what I wanted. Quite tough at times. The balancing in general was a little off.

The one that's coming out could be cool. It's focused on Elizabeth and there's not much info yet. I also think it's the last DLC they're making for the game.

The extra gear you get is absolutely worth it. They're honestly better than any you get in the base game. Real game changers!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Love Shovel posted:

Well, I thought the pass was a little pricey for what you got. I actually enjoyed Clash in the Clouds. If you liked the combat in the main game, you'll probably get a kick out of the arenas. At the end of the day, the unlockable Museum content was pretty meager.

I really liked Burial at Sea, it was exactly what I wanted. Quite tough at times. The balancing in general was a little off.

The one that's coming out could be cool. It's focused on Elizabeth and there's not much info yet. I also think it's the last DLC they're making for the game.

The extra gear you get is absolutely worth it. They're honestly better than any you get in the base game. Real game changers!

Yeah Clash didnt look all that appealing to me, but I figure Burial at Sea and the upcoming one are probably worth $20. Also I dont see the DLC getting a radical price cut until after the final installment has been out for 6+ months.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought Clash was pretty fun. There's no real penalty for dying, so you can do nuts trying all sorts of different tactics. A lot of the tricks you can do it in can be carried over to the main game to make combat easy. For example, I found a trick in Clash that made Handymen ridiculously easy and used the poo poo out of it in my 1999 Scavenger Hunt run.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
I dunno if this has been posted yet, but this is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlVuqJoPSyY

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lakedaimon posted:

Yeah Clash didnt look all that appealing to me, but I figure Burial at Sea and the upcoming one are probably worth $20.

This was my thinking. I enjoyed the play of Burial at Sea. The environs and characters were nice, too: it was fun to see Rapture in her prime, and Liz as vampish pulp-novel "dame" was an interesting turn. But the ending pissed me off, and right now I'm done with this game until the next chapter comes out.

However, I ended up enjoying Clash in the Clouds more then I was expecting. Freed from having buy ammo/find guns/budget for upgrades, you really get to explore the combat engine more fully. I ended up playing most of it.

closeted republican posted:

I thought Clash was pretty fun. There's no real penalty for dying, so you can do nuts trying all sorts of different tactics. A lot of the tricks you can do it in can be carried over to the main game to make combat easy. For example, I found a trick in Clash that made Handymen ridiculously easy and used the poo poo out of it in my 1999 Scavenger Hunt run.

I'm not about to do 1999 mode, but what's the trick?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

However, I ended up enjoying Clash in the Clouds more then I was expecting. Freed from having buy ammo/find guns/budget for upgrades, you really get to explore the combat engine more fully. I ended up playing most of it.

I thought Clash was going to suck, but it's actually really fun. It shows how fun BS:I's combat can be.

quote:

I'm not about to do 1999 mode, but what's the trick?

The trick I use is to pull them with Undertow's alt-fire, then unload into their heart with the carbine or SMG. Simple, but very effective. You need to keep a little bit of distance, because they'll retaliate as soon as they get free. Winter Shield makes it so that you no longer have to worry about their retaliation, making them extremely easy to deal with.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Lakedaimon posted:

How do people feel about the DLC/Season Pass stuff for Infinite?

Love Shovel posted:

The balancing in general was a little off.

Here's the deal... combining BS1's mechanics and level design with BSI's save system and Vigors is really loving clunky and generally doesn't work. It's one of those interesting in theory sort of things that feels slapdash in practice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

zenintrude posted:

feels slapdash in practice.

Agreed. But I still enjoyed it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Here's the deal... combining BS1's mechanics and level design with BSI's save system and Vigors is really loving clunky and generally doesn't work. It's one of those interesting in theory sort of things that feels slapdash in practice.

BaS did a poor job at imitating BS1's mechanics. You never had the small amount of ammo in BS1 that you did in BaS. I did a Hard BS1 run a little bit after beating BaS, and I had more ammo at the middle of Medical Pavillion than I had throughout most of BaS.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just finished the game. What an unsatisfying ending. Not so much the story ending, but the last bit of gameplay. Didn't feel like a climactic final battle at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure how you call that not a climatic battle. I remember it being really frantic and having the Songbird help out was pretty rad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RatHat posted:

Not sure how you call that not a climatic battle. I remember it being really frantic and having the Songbird help out was pretty rad.

It wasn't hard, and fighting a few waves of Vox just didn't really feel like it was putting a cap on anything. It's just what you'd been doing the whole rest of the game anyway. I have the same problem with 2's ending, actually. You get to the end and then you just fight some regular enemies and shoot a pipe.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It wasn't hard, and fighting a few waves of Vox just didn't really feel like it was putting a cap on anything. It's just what you'd been doing the whole rest of the game anyway. I have the same problem with 2's ending, actually. You get to the end and then you just fight some regular enemies and shoot a pipe.

I feel the same way. I didn't care about fighting the Vox, because to me they were never the "real" enemy of the story. You're led up to expect a big confrontation with Comstock, and when it happens it just plays out in a cutscene. Then you fight wave after wave of faceless drones.

I thought a cool final showdown would be to fight wave after wave of alternate-universe Bookers. Maybe frantically battling through tears, fighting in multiple landscapes and realities. I mean, if Booker's going to just kill himself/let himself die at the end, might as well make a meal of it from a gameplay perspective.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I actually loved fighting the Vox at the end for a simple reason: It's easy to miss it, even when you've beat the game, but it's hammering in that you're Comstock before that twist is made explicit. You're defending Comstock's ship using Comstock's bird in the name of Comstock's idol, Elizabeth, all against Comstock's enemies. I feel like the game could have made this easier to realize - have a repeated prophecy from Comstock towards the end about his final defeat of the False Shepherd and the Vox aboard his ship, for example.

ON HIS MIGHTY VESSEL, THE PROPHET SHALL CAST OUT THE FALSE SHEPHERD AND HIS DEMONS ONCE AND FOR ALL, AND SHALL PERMIT HIS SEED TO ASCEND TO POWER AND RIGHTEOUSNESS

LaughMyselfTo fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 28, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You forgot to spoiler a pretty important part there.

Also that scene was probably my favorite bit of gameplay in the whole game, it had a fancy big arena with lots of chaos and mobility and a good reason to bounce around on the skylines. It also felt like the fight made sense in the context. Unlike say, Bioshock 1 where the last fight was so stupid it was sickening and soured my impression of the whole ending of that game. Everything at the end of Bioshock Infinite left me with a really great impression of it and I enjoyed it a lot.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 28, 2014

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I actually loved fighting the Vox at the end for a simple reason: It's easy to miss it, even when you've beat the game, but it's hammering in that you're Comstock before that twist is made explicit. You're defending Comstock's ship using Comstock's bird in the name of Comstock's idol, Elizabeth, all against Comstock's enemies. I feel like the game could have made this easier to realize - have a repeated prophecy from Comstock towards the end about his final defeat of the False Shepherd and the Vox aboard his ship, for example.

ON HIS MIGHTY VESSEL, THE PROPHET SHALL CAST OUT THE FALSE SHEPHERD AND HIS DEMONS ONCE AND FOR ALL, AND SHALL PERMIT HIS SEED TO ASCEND TO POWER AND RIGHTEOUSNESS

OK, this actually brings up another thing I found dumb about the story ending:
The twist of Booker being Comstock doesn't make any sense. After Wounded Knee, Booker is reeling from the horrible things he's done and seeking absolution. He states he hates his sins and takes baptism, and after rejecting all of his sins he decides to become even more racist and kill even more people? It seems like the Booker that accepted baptism would have gone on to a cabin in the woods to be alone or something, not turning into a megalomaniac who made up his own religion and went hypernationalist. Just seeking baptism indicates he thought his nationalist, patriotic philosophy was messed up. Why would he double down on it after repenting?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

OK, this actually brings up another thing I found dumb about the story ending:
The twist of Booker being Comstock doesn't make any sense. After Wounded Knee, Booker is reeling from the horrible things he's done and seeking absolution. He states he hates his sins and takes baptism, and after rejecting all of his sins he decides to become even more racist and kill even more people? It seems like the Booker that accepted baptism would have gone on to a cabin in the woods to be alone or something, not turning into a megalomaniac who made up his own religion and went hypernationalist. Just seeking baptism indicates he thought his nationalist, patriotic philosophy was messed up. Why would he double down on it after repenting?

The idea is that there is no universe where Booker honestly seeks repentance. There are only universes where he decides he's irredeemable (Booker) and universes where he decides he doesn't need real redemption.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The idea is that there is no universe where Booker honestly seeks repentance. There are only universes where he decides he's irredeemable (Booker) and universes where he decides he doesn't need real redemption.

But deciding he doesn't need redemption isn't really consistent with accepting baptism, especially given the pretty explicit language the preacher at the end uses about hating and rejecting your sins. It seems like the Booker that becomes Comstock would also say "gently caress off preacher dude" and then go off to make his own dumb religion. I think the ending doesn't make a lot of sense, trying too hard for the "makes you think" twist.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

But deciding he doesn't need redemption isn't really consistent with accepting baptism, especially given the pretty explicit language the preacher at the end uses about hating and rejecting your sins. It seems like the Booker that becomes Comstock would also say "gently caress off preacher dude" and then go off to make his own dumb religion. I think the ending doesn't make a lot of sense, trying too hard for the "makes you think" twist.

Because the Booker that becomes Comstock has recognized religion as a tool he can use for imbuing himself with control and purpose.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I thought this was the no spoilers thread guys?

In all seriousness though,now that I've learned that gear is randomized i guess i can just call myself unlucky that most of the gear i got revolved around using Skylines so the whole game i was just cursing at the screen going " I want to keep my shield recharge pants you stupid game! I don't care that i can do an AOE when i get off the things i rarely ever see or use!"

How little i knew how much all those pants would have come in handy near the end, by the time I've forgotten about them of course.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I thought this was the no spoilers thread guys?

In all seriousness though,now that I've learned that gear is randomized i guess i can just call myself unlucky that most of the gear i got revolved around using Skylines so the whole game i was just cursing at the screen going " I want to keep my shield recharge pants you stupid game! I don't care that i can do an AOE when i get off the things i rarely ever see or use!"

How little i knew how much all those pants would have come in handy near the end, by the time I've forgotten about them of course.

I didn't find out you could switch which two vigors were equipped until 2 hours before the end of the game. There is never any mention of the "gameplay" menu and that it's separate from the pause menu. I was stuck with Shock Jockey+whatever vigor I most recently picked up for most of the game and kept thinking "this sucks, that can't be right" until I googled and found instructions to press the O key.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

I didn't find out you could switch which two vigors were equipped until 2 hours before the end of the game. There is never any mention of the "gameplay" menu and that it's separate from the pause menu. I was stuck with Shock Jockey+whatever vigor I most recently picked up for most of the game and kept thinking "this sucks, that can't be right" until I googled and found instructions to press the O key.

The PC UI struck me as very console-oriented. That menu came up if you held down LB on a 360 controller.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrBond posted:

The PC UI struck me as very console-oriented. That menu came up if you held down LB on a 360 controller.

There were a LOT of little "console touches" that I didn't like.

Ug... Same for me, except I figured it out about 20 minutes after I got the third Vigor. So, not nearly as bad, but I still feel your pain. I blame the lack of game manuals these days.

When I played the original Half-Life, I almost all the way to end before I realized that the speargun had a second fire mode (sniper mode). That made me feel pretty stupid, since other weapons in that game have secondaries.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's also a ton of non-remappable keys, for no good reason. It's even gotten worse with Burial at Sea instead of better.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I didn't know where else to post this.

I just got Bioshock Infinite through a very nice sale and I should be able to run it just fine on my new computer... but I can't. It gets as far as the 'when this symbol appears the game is autosaving' screen or sometimes all the way to the menu and then it crashes and some fan or other in my computer starts whirring like crazy for a second before the whole system restarts.

I've been looking around all kinds of places and I've seen that I'm not the only one this happens to. Sadly I seem to be the only one that all the myriad other fixes don't work for. I've tried quite a few of them with no success. Here's my system specs and the stuff I've tried:

Intel Core i5-4570
GeForce GTX 760
DDR SDRAM 8GB
Intel B85 Chipset Micro ATX Motherboard
Windows 8.1

Steam itself is on an SSD with my OS while all my games are stored on a normal HDD.

Things I have tried:
Doing the Steam file integrity check thing.
Checking to make sure Bioshock Infinite can find My Documents folder (I am using Japanese windows so I was worried it wouldn't, but it did just fine and has its own little folder there that is not corrupted)
Starting it in Windowed mode through Steam.
Starting it in Windowed mode through GeForce Experience (it worked for 20 minutes then crashed and has been unable to run since even using this method)
Running Steam but not Bioshock Infinite as Admin
Redownloading and re-installing the game from scratch
Something to do with a pool... something or other. Anyway I edited one of the .ini files to make some pool thing bigger.
I also tried forcing it to skip the logo videos. Still nothing.
Edit: Also, I tried running it with Steam in offline mode. No change.

The one time I got it to play for about 20 minutes was when I loaded it through the GeForce Experience thing instead of through Steam. After about 20 minutes, though, it crashed and restarted my computer and any further attempts to load it the same way have failed just like all my other ones.

Any advice would be welcome. Or maybe some advice on how to just trade this game away to someone and get something else that isn't going to cost me hours of frustration and redownloads just to not work in the end.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
So now that irrational games is done does that mean we aren't getting burial at sea part 2?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So now that irrational games is done does that mean we aren't getting burial at sea part 2?

It's still coming out.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Considering the quality of burial at sea part 1 and the recent firing of everyone who made it, I have zero hopes for part 2. I don't think I'll ever buy a season pass again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Getsuya posted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I didn't know where else to post this.

I just got Bioshock Infinite through a very nice sale and I should be able to run it just fine on my new computer... but I can't. It gets as far as the 'when this symbol appears the game is autosaving' screen or sometimes all the way to the menu and then it crashes and some fan or other in my computer starts whirring like crazy for a second before the whole system restarts.

I've been looking around all kinds of places and I've seen that I'm not the only one this happens to. Sadly I seem to be the only one that all the myriad other fixes don't work for. I've tried quite a few of them with no success. Here's my system specs and the stuff I've tried:

Intel Core i5-4570
GeForce GTX 760
DDR SDRAM 8GB
Intel B85 Chipset Micro ATX Motherboard
Windows 8.1

Steam itself is on an SSD with my OS while all my games are stored on a normal HDD.

Things I have tried:
Doing the Steam file integrity check thing.
Checking to make sure Bioshock Infinite can find My Documents folder (I am using Japanese windows so I was worried it wouldn't, but it did just fine and has its own little folder there that is not corrupted)
Starting it in Windowed mode through Steam.
Starting it in Windowed mode through GeForce Experience (it worked for 20 minutes then crashed and has been unable to run since even using this method)
Running Steam but not Bioshock Infinite as Admin
Redownloading and re-installing the game from scratch
Something to do with a pool... something or other. Anyway I edited one of the .ini files to make some pool thing bigger.
I also tried forcing it to skip the logo videos. Still nothing.
Edit: Also, I tried running it with Steam in offline mode. No change.

The one time I got it to play for about 20 minutes was when I loaded it through the GeForce Experience thing instead of through Steam. After about 20 minutes, though, it crashed and restarted my computer and any further attempts to load it the same way have failed just like all my other ones.

Any advice would be welcome. Or maybe some advice on how to just trade this game away to someone and get something else that isn't going to cost me hours of frustration and redownloads just to not work in the end.

Launch the game in DX9 mode instead. It is crashy as all hell in DX10 mode for no particular reason I can discern.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also uninstall GeForce experience, restart, and reinstall it.

If it worked once, it sounds to me like it was halfway through writing to a setting / config file when it crashed, leaving the file full of garbage.

Once you've done this, use dx9 mode to minimise it crashing in future.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just finished Infinite and loved the poo poo out of it. Thinking about getting the season pass to shave off 10 bucks from the DLC. But it also comes with those TF2 items which won't be available after next week. I'm not a TF2 guy, but they're tradeable, so I bet their value will skyrocket after next week. Am I a fool or should I jump on this?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If you already want the season pass, I see no reason not to get it now.

I got it last month, but I decided to wait on playing Burial at Sea episode 1 until the second one is released. I'm actually enjoying the Clash in the Clouds stuff, the optional Blue Ribbon challenges are interesting and challenging enough to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Unmature posted:

Am I a fool or should I jump on this?

Why stop now?

• Locked thread