Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't care about conventional FPSs at all anymore but I love this game. It's hard to point out exactly what it does right because it does pretty much everything right.

edit: Shotgun ninja rules, why on earth didn't I ever think of that combination before this game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I seem to have become permanently overleveled for the story missions, I'm level 25 and they all list level 22. Is that just a natural result of doing every side mission?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What exactly is NG+ like in this game? Do the quests and enemies and loot scale with your level, or are they fixed and just a multiple or something above what they are the first time around?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

For TVHM which is Playthrough 2 in this game the enemies and loot scale with the quest you are on. The slot machines and shops in Sanctuary scale with the main questline. All of the enemies/loot/shop machines scale with the appropriate quest level for the particular area. UNTIL you beat TVHM, at which point you're in Playthrough 2.5 and everything scales up to 50, everywhere.
So that's what TVHM is? I've only heard the abbreviation, I had no idea what it means (still don't).

So, on the third playthrough everything is level 50? Is the game difficult like that, or not?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xyretire posted:

TVHM is True Vault Hunter Mode. It is the second time going through the game with a character. Once you beat TVHM all quests that you haven't picked up as well as all enemies and loot scale up to level 50. This is referred to as PT2.5. There is no third time through the game with a character.
Oh, so after TVHM the world just opens up, with everything at level 50? Is that very much fun, without quests and things?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is one of the upcoming DLCs supposed to change the level cap?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm level 26 now and I swear I haven't found a single one of my favorite weapon: corrosive shotguns. I haven't found any in drops or in vending machines, or slot machines for that matter I've found every other kind of shotgun other than that one, and every other kind of corrosive weapon than that one. Are they not in the game or something?

edit: I just went through Where Angels Fear to Tread, which is nonstop robots, with the only corrosive weapon I had, Moxxi's Bad Touch. It's a good weapon, but I'm playing as C0unter Strike Zero which means the emphasis is on massive damage at close range with a single shot, a SMG is all wrong for that. It took forever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 27, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

40 Proof Listerine posted:

If you can find acid cloud or acid bouncing betty grenades, those will do the trick just fine against clumps of loaders, even on TVHM.
Yeah, I ended up relying on my bouncing betty corrosive grenades pretty heavily in that last fight, but the problem is that the robots weren't ever spawning together in groups.

On the other hand though, I have Moxxi's heartbreaker too, so my anti-flesh shotgun ninja tactics are MORE than taken care of. Moxxi should start her own weapons company.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not long after I posted, I found an industrial thinking, so my corrosive shotgun problems are solved for the moment.

There are so many bandits in sawtooth caldron. So many. I pretty much emptied all my weapons while I was there and they still kept coming, I had to make a dash for the exit while being fired on. I don't think that's ever happened before.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Merry Marauder posted:

It's an interesting map. The indoor cavern area is a colossal clusterfuck. If your party has a good sniper, you can actually hit all the "raise the flag" areas from the top area with the Fast Travel station.
There's also an exclamation point and a vending machine that on the map appear to be in that cavern, but I have no idea where they are. Quest markers show whether they are above or below you on the map but nothing else does.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone found a good use for the unique shotgun Octo? It seems to miss a lot if it's at exactly the wrong range.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

The wrong range being anything further than 10 yards in front of you.
I had a blast going through Lynchwood for the first time with Octo. Hide behind a crate, wait for the bandits to get closer, peek and shoot.
Shields were gone on first hit, second one left them at 10-20% health.
Depending on the shot pattern though, they can be way closer than ten yards and still most of the bullets will miss, they'll curve and go around the target.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did anyone else experience a large jump in difficulty around level 27? I sure am. Suddenly a lot of my weapons (which are the same level as me) are doing pretty puny damage to enemies that are also the same level as me, even weapons that they are vulnerable to. I'm both dying and running out of ammo much more frequently. Particularly, in the caustic caverns, there's a badass fire thresher that can basically one-shot me with its burst when it comes up through the ground, so getting past it alive is sheer luck.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

iTrust posted:

Fire Threshers are cheap as hell.

gently caress threshers.
So being one-shotted like that is a problem unique to fire threshers?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

The worst thing about Fire Threshers is how they nova as soon as they come out of the ground. That really sucks.
That's the only thing they do that is particularly threatening but it is SO dangerous and unexpected it makes them the most deadly enemy in the game for me. You're walking along in an area with no enemies and then suddenly you are in fight for your life mode with nothing but fire and insanity all around you.

Bonus points if there's a wormhole thresher right next to it so you get pulled into the fire thresher's novas.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

Does a vladof absorb shield just take the bullets shot at you, or does it actually absorb the damage as well? I'm on the fence as to whether to spend the time farming for a Sham.
Well I mean, same as any other shield it absorbs them in the sense that they do damage to the shield instead of to your hp, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The biggest change between 1 and 2 for me (other than fixing many technical problems) is how much more varied and full of personality the weapon manufacturers are.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Rokstar posted:

You know, I just realized something. Roland is a former vault hunter, which means his biometric data is still probably saved in the New-U stations. Why isn't he just reconstructed when he dies? For that matter, why isn't Jack?

Maybe I'm just reading too much into the story.
Didn't you hear all the things the New-U machine says?
"So long as you believe in yourself, nothing can TRULY kill you! Except Handsome Jack."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Once people are reaching level 50 are they just going around and collecting level 50 versions of all their favorite weapons, or what?

edit: I just got Moxxi's Good Touch. Uh...yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's so good about the Conference Call relative to other shotguns? Is it high firing rate/single shell at a time or low/multiple?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lotish posted:

The special ability. You know how there are MIRV grenades that make child grenades? The CC's pellets split in flight until they hit something. So it'll basically hit anything and everything, and often hit them alot.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_Call
Wow, does that send the frame rate to hell or anything?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain McStabbin posted:

I've never had a problem with just one, but gunzerking with two conference calls will slow the game down.
Gunzerking with conference calls. It's so much fun to even just talk about this game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GANDHITRON posted:

Yeah, I like the bandits because everything they say straddles a line between silly and threatening. It's always startling to hear some psycho scream something entirely nonsensical right next to you while you were busy popping away at some nomad. Their weapon names are amazing, too.
My favorite thing to hear from a bandit so far is "I've been shot in the face before! I can take it!!"

I was looking through a Japanese wiki to see how they translated the weird-rear end item names and...they didn't, they left them all exactly as is. They didn't even transliterate them into Japanese script. They translated some of the red flavor text but sometimes to something completely different, and sometimes they didn't even bother. With that and the much more generic and less interesting voice acting it's clear that they cheaped out on the localization something fierce. But for item names, I can't even think of how they COULD have localized them effectively, they are just so drat wacky.

edit: they also didn't localize any character or enemy names in any way. A lot of people in Japan complain about half-assed localizations like this as why Western games don't take off there, but I guess it's a circular argument.

Also bothersome is how "bonus explosive damage" was just transliterated rather than translated properly, and yet they didn't even go THAT far for the item names.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 30, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't even imagine trying to localize a game like this- almost everything is a Western pop culture reference of one manner or another.
Yeah. With the exception of the Yakuza series, the Japanese games we get localized over here aren't the MOST Japanese games there are, they don't even bother with those. However, Western publishers are so much more aggressive with seeking all the world's markets that they will at least attempt to sell in Japan with almost anything, but it usually leads to half-assed localizations like this. The most amazing thing to me is that EA sells (at least) its NBA games in Japan not translated at all, except for just the manual. The reviews in Famitsu always take a few points off and say "Well, since it's all in English I can barely understand any of it..."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 30, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone had a problem with chests that won't open, because it never shows the "press X to open" thing no matter where on the box you put the cursor? I have run into that twice I think, most recently the treasure hunting quests in the caustic caverns. I got the unique gun it gives you but that chest that came up out of the ground, I could not get it open. After five minutes of pointing the cursor at every pixel on the box's surface I gave up and left.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ximum posted:

That happened to me too, but only on that chest. I just figured that meant the quest reward came from there and there was nothing really in it.
Yeah, that's what I figured too but I looked it up in a faq and it claimed that it is indeed supposed to open.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought the season pass to this game, I've never done that before. I like BL2 that much.

Last night I was randomly playing with a Japanese guy, I wanted to hear how the localization was over there, with us simultaneously playing the game but in different languages, that was fun.

One annoyance though: NG+ is a lot more fun than the first time through I think, but I want to try just NG+ as a different class. I wish I could respec my character into a different class...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I just cannot beat super badass maniacs in TVHM. I mean, reliably. After a few or a dozen deaths something will go right and I'll be able to get enough critical hits in, but most of the time it's (as Zero) throw a grenade, stealth, throw a kunai, get around behind him, shotgun to the back of the head over and over again...and that takes out his shields. Then he sends me into fight for your life mode with one hit, and after that I just empty all of my weapons in order into his head but still don't do enough damage to kill him, respawn, repeat. There are never any other enemies around either (on the firehawk mission) so I can never revive.

Is there something fundamental I am missing?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 27, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Marogareh posted:

Are you throwing just one batch or all of them? If all else fails bring out the Bandit/Torgue rocket launchers.
One...I think? I only got that ability a while ago and I don't really understand how it works.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Those drat kunai are such a gamechanger for Zer0. Load the big bad guy up with 'em and deliver a 3-barreled Torgue shotgun blast to their back (or a Jakobs Quad shot to the head) and they're basically done. Also Killing Bl0w is pretty good for clawing your way out of FFYL when a low health big-bad-melee enemy manages to get ya.
Are you saying that the kunai effect stacks? I thought it was the same as melee attacks with that other ability, a one time defense lowering.

Also, are they really meant to do damage, or just inflict that status effect?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well anyway, I finally got through the fight in that circular room during the firehawk mission, mostly by running around in circles with the maniacs chasing me waiting for my power cooldown time to end. But yeah, in the future I will throw more kunais. I didn't know they were intended to do damage, only debuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought a season pass for this game, the first time I have ever done that, and I guess I'm still not totally clear on how it works. Isn't it supposed to make add-on content in the PS store free? Why isn't the creature slaughter dome free?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

The only thing the season pass covers is the DLC main game expansions- you're on your own for the other stuff. Creature Slaughter Dome isn't really worth it, anyway. New actual DLC soon, though!
Oh, so season pass doesn't inherently mean all DLC is free? Bleh. $30 is a hell of an investment on top of a $60 game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

raditts posted:

Then boy will you be upset when you find out that the season pass is going on sale in a couple of weeks!
drat it. Okay, back to my old policy of DLC only every once in a while, purely on a case by case basis.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man, I really wish I had spread out the levels of my characters more. TVHM (at level 46) is pissing me off with its insane damage gap between me and the enemies, but the new DLC starts at level 30 and my next highest character's level is 13, it would take a LONG time to get her up to level 30. Is there some non-obvious solution to this problem that I am not seeing?

I wish I could just set the level of my character freely.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Supposedly the new reputation system in the Xbone version of XBL will actually start matching people in games based on their reputation as well as skill, so if they're loud-assed, singing-on-the-mic-when-they're-not-blaming-everyone-else-for-losing, generally rude folks, they'll supposedly get matched with others who act the same. If it works as advertised, it'd be a pretty big consideration factor for me eventually getting an Xbone.
But that means it's up to other players to all be evaluating each other's behavior, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been thinking about switching to the PC version since the PS3 version is pretty poo poo performance with any more than one player, but I don't have any confidence that my (somewhat gaming capable) laptop will get any better. It's really up and down on modern games.

• Locked thread