Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Make Mr Torgue's action skill proximity/timer/manually detonated mines. Like 5 at a time with the different specs making them trigger off different things with different effects.

One tree mostly for the mines one for more explosive guns one for grenade specialization And guitar noises. And yelling.

EDIT: mines will stick to enemies' faces and groins. CRITICAL HIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I meant to reply in my other post to the TVHM post but I'll just post again!

I respecced my zerker from rampage to gunlust because it was more methodical and doesn't tempt me to go 'zerk my way straight into a crowd. Plus, it scales really well the better guns. My friend plays as zer0 and went sniper spec from melee for basically the same reasons.

When we play together, we hang at long range taking sniper shots until the crowd is thin enough to wade in to finish. I am rolling with shock grenades and a slag smg while he has some high damage jakobs stuff so usually I slag and shock as a setup while he mowes everything down. Obviously as we change guns this will change but its a general theme we're following.

We both switch to shotguns if we get swamped and blast our way back to a defensible position. I really recommend keeping a high damage street sweeper close for those kind of spots or you're going to get surrounded and hosed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

What exactly is NG+ like in this game? Do the quests and enemies and loot scale with your level, or are they fixed and just a multiple or something above what they are the first time around?

The levels scale to you like PT1, with nothing carrying over from the first run. So, if you start PT2 at level 35 it goes from there, if you start at 30 then your first quest is level 30.

Once you beat it then everything jumps to 50 including all quests/loot.

The guns/shields are much much stronger. I started NG+ and tossed out 2 purples and 2 blues from finishing normal for all green guns within 20 minutes. The class mods are also probably much better but I have a very good purple one from saturn (I think) so I'm still holding on to it for now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

oh NM about what I said then. I thought the quests scaled to your level rather than a set point.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, so after TVHM the world just opens up, with everything at level 50? Is that very much fun, without quests and things?

most people say run only the story missions in PT2 and then pickup the side quests once everything is 50 to maximize your loot. So you can still have fun farming bosses and finishing up sidequests. Once you've got that sewn up I suppose its either start a new character or shelve the game and wait for DLC.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Feeble posted:

Just think of it as revenge for Japan doing the same thing. I remember watching some anime series back when I actually enjoyed it and the main gag was that almost every other line was a reference to japanese pop culture or an obscure japanese pun.

I think part of FF7's appeal in the US was the terrible translation job making everything more mysterious and psuedo-intellectual because it was so obscure.

That doesn't work in humor though so sucks for the Japanese. It would be pretty fun to play a BL2: Rising Sun expansion that used Japanese pop culture references that wasn't just samurai and geisha but some modern stuff too. Angel is basically one of those holographic j-pop stars anyway.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mr bubbles enraged me because I kept trying to open his head. Green means loot dammit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

I think I like Gun Lust the best so far. Rampage is great, but the amount of bonus damage Gun Lust gives you with No Kill like Overkill, Money Shot and Keep it Piping Hot is insane. I used a blue, 30-ish shotgun on a pirate last night and it did 137k damage on the last shot. Right now I'm using an e-tech electricity SMG and an e-tech slag SMG.

You definitely take a survivability hit, but being able to Gunzerk in FFYL makes it a lot easier to pull Second Winds when needed.

I like Gunlust a lot too. I think its pretty entertaining too when you get a big money shot and then overkill your way through a bunch of guys. Especially nice when sniping.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

why are they all bee/wasp based? Is this some kind of running joke I don't know?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

TheTofuShop posted:

So help me out here, I'm playing a 47 Siren and I'm at the part in TVHM where you fight Bloodwing. I can get it down to about 60%, but every time the drat thing Divebombs or attacks, it one shots me (or leaves me with like ~1000HP), and Sprinting when its dive bombing doesn't seem to get me away fast enough to avoid the damage. Phaselocking it only does the spike damage, and I always seem to have no other enemies to kill to get a Second Wind going. My friends have all already moved on to some other game, and I'm stuck doing this solo. Is there a better strategy to doing this fight? Or do i just need to find someone to help me out?

I'm a level 44 gunzerker and I have a window of time between 6 and 8 PM US central if you want help. I might be too low but I'm willing to give it a try and I'm brawn spec so I at least don't die easily.

Xbox name x guard86 (there is a space between the x and the g)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Medicinal Penguin posted:

I have 2 infinities and 2 CCs for my Gunzerker, if anyone needs copies. :getin:

GT: DefenderofMirth

VVVVV Pretty sure slag and corrosive, but maybe not. I'll be on in 4 hours or so, still at work now.

I would love that for my zerker as well. sending friend request. What time are you logging in?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You're fine as far as levels. Blowing through Pt1 is really not a big deal since play through 2 is where the game gets teeth.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Speedboat Jones posted:

Farming orange sucks. And so does cooping through TVHM only to have a pubby flag a quest before everything scales up to 50 so you miss your chance for level 50 quest loot. I have some things that I'd be glad to dupe for goons, including CC, Bee, Blade's rapier, Love Thumper, Law and Order, Shredifier, Two Fer Maggie, etc. All level 50. If you're on Xbox and want some orange loot but don't wanna pull your hair out farming, feel free to add me to your friends list with my GT lol speedboat

I'm going to add you. Another kind goon duped me a CC and an infinity but I'd like to grab a bee and your cool guns without the horrible tedium. I'm online kind of sporadically during the week but I'll look for you.

GT: X guard86

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Feeble posted:

Wow I'm all for gaming tats (if I ever get a tat it'll probably be jacks wrist chains from bioshock) but angel really doesn't seem like a memorable enough character to warrant a tattoo...
Whatever, their skin, their canvas.

haha I have zero tattoos but I when saw that chain tat I was like "hey, thats pretty cool looking".

I'm not a fan of that guy's though, can't tell what the hell is going on with it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bugsy posted:

No, the main quest never takes you there.

Yes, weird. I wandered into Lynch wood after finishing Pt1 and thought I must have skipped something in the story because it was all new. Def an oversight unless maybe they have dlc plans that run through that area.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ya but its kind of easy to miss since you're never brought there by a quest. I think every other zone has some kind of lead in to make you aware of it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

the hyperion corporation would like to remind you that hell is reserved exclusively for people who use Jakobs ammunition.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

RVWinkle posted:

There's several areas that you won't visit if you only follow story missions. Caustic caverns is one example.

huh, weird I guess thats true.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

it is apparently some kind of secret Lord of the Rings reference where you have to carry something from there to a volcano in the blight without fast traveling.

This is hearsay from a friend so it might be in the same league and pushing the truck to get Mew or fighting Akuma in Street Fighter 2.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ha ha yeah- reduce your damage output by 3/4 or something while the shield isn't fully charged. About the only thing I use The Bee for is soloing bosses so if I'm not full on shields I'm hiding anyways.

ya I'm finding the bee is not so awesome for running around. Not like it matters since endgame its pretty much a waste of time to stop to kill random thugs.

Speaking of bosses: Does anyone have a good strategy for getting vermivorous to spawn? I tried last night and stalled out at super badass every time. Usually I would get overwhelmed and die because I never killed anything but once I realized its a yes/no thing I started trimming down the herd when it seemed like their timer was up. It still seemed mighty tedious and dumb.

I'd honestly rather do this poo poo with other people. How hard is it to find pubbie groups doing these bosses at 50? They need a repeatable quest or something so you can flag what you want to do endgame.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Pretty harsh Bee nerfs. Reduced shield regen/increased delay were kind of expected, but reduced amp and amp split between projectiles in a multiple shot burst is rough. Adding massively to the tedium of endgame farming isn't likely to keep me playing longer.

Edit: so what non-Bee options are worth a look? I have The Impaler, Sham, a few rares stashed. Never looked at the stats on Hide of Terramorphus, may be worth farming ASAP.

yes I can see how the bee might mess up future plans but its tedious as gently caress to farm bosses as is and now its going to be worse. I wish there was some kind of repeatable quest with a random orange level item guaranteed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

the two DLC bosses seem very poorly thought out and not well executed with all these bugs. I tried Hyperius once and it was just dumb.

I hope the Torque DLC does it better or at least minimizes their role. Its cool they're doing an orange level vending machine.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Mechanics wise, the bosses are really cool in my opinion. They add a neat level of strategy to the fights and force you to know the fight much like RPGs. However, gee particularly has too much drat hp to make the fight fun since it just goes and goes, as well as, the technical glitches associated with both fights pulling them down to non-fun levels.

Glad to hear the patch to fix the freezes didn't work for poo poo though, I haven't attempted them since the first few nights for that reason. A trick to avoid the freeze is to not look at Gee when he dies. Sounds stupid I know, but it worked for me and is the only reason I completed the quest. I've killed him three times, no loot, just so you know.

When I've tried fighting Hyperius it seems like something really unlucky just fucks the team without a real mistake or reason. Like if there was a safe place or counter to the nova it wouldn't be so bad. Or if you could slow him down when he goes stomping since its drat near impossible to revive someone after he steps on them and camps out.

Maybe with less HP it would create a shorter fight and it would be less frustrating to die at like 25% but right now its just not fun.

Maybe its the people too. The closest I ever got was playing with some goons the first time I tried, after that its been lovely pick up groups. I'd love to try again with another goon group.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ohh I didn't know double nova was a bug. That was the problem most of the time since we'd get him down pretty low and he'd double nova and then stomp out survivors before they could revive.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

i just left my xbox on downloading when I left. I have the 6 hour timer enabled so it'll shut down anyway, hopefully long after downloading is complete.

I haven't heard great buzz about this DLC but I find Mr Torque hilarious and I don't expect much beyond some fun explosions and killing a lot of dudes for hopefully a reliable orange supply. Maybe its just the BL1 crowd's residual anger.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Anyone on xbox want to explooode?
Gt: x guard86

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I really enjoyed the "fly boy" fight. It was a nice change of pace and I was not looking forward to fighting a big angry vulture.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

abaddonis posted:

I got some dialogue at the beginning between moxxi and tiny tina.

This last DLC was very buggy and I'm kind of disappointed. I've had a few freezes happen in the tier 3 bar fight mission where there is so much going on. Also, with 4 players, there is considerable frame rate, but that isn't really related to just the DLC.

The torgue DLC was kind of just "drive here, kill X, drive here, kill Y". The tokens (and seraph crystals) are a terrible idea. I finished the DLC with just about 300 tokens (I didn't do every single mission, but I did do quite a few) and I'm nowhere close to getting an under leveled orange weapon. I have only just enough to get a head or some random purple that I can find somewhere else for 1/50th the effort. The crystals are the same thing. Why grind these 1 per day bosses for 2 weeks only to get some lovely gun that has equivalent stats to a blue or purple?

I certainly hope they will offer some kind of upgrade option in future releases, because I'll be damned if I have to hunt for oranges again when (if?) they increase the level cap. They're only going to encourage rampant hacking and modding otherwise.

I really enjoyed BL2 pre lvl 50 because the loot was cool and readily available. Its too bad they've taken an MMO style approach with the end game and made everything a big time sink to get. Its baffling too since they have zero incentive to stretch out play time once they've got your purchase.

And not putting level 50 guns in the machine is really annoying because their almost par with the much more common purples.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

abaddonis posted:

The idea that I want to spend 6 hours to get a weapon that is 2 levels underleveled is ridiculous.

Yes, at least make them level 50 if they take ~600 tokens since the average person is going to play enough to buy like one or two.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya the story is based around an arena but there's like 1.5 actual arena fights. Have you gotten past the first quest?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

It's literally a quest of "kill a bunch of dudes in this room" which is like half of the sidequests in the game, there's nothing "arena" about that quest.

I don't know why people are complaining, it's DLC with a story, multiple zones, multiple side quests. Moxxi's DLC was literally 3 arena fights and a preparation hub. They are not even remotely similar

there's only one guy complaining, I think everyone else has had a pretty good time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Will there be more guns out there with infinite ammo, or will ~50ish damage will cut it as a hold-out pistol for the rest of the game? :shobon:

ammunition is not a concern for the mighty gunzerker.

You might want to stash that gun for a later character but you'll quickly outlevel it and eventually even your melee will hit 100X harder.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I know this has been answered before, but I can't remember--my friend and I are playing TVHM and want to save the good quests for level 50 / play through 2.5.

Can we talk to quest givers to see what the rewards are, and as long as we don't accept the quest, they will be level 50 quests in 2.5?

Or do we need to not talk to any side quest givers at all, because talking to them locks the quest level?

just don't accept them and they will scale. If you accept, it locks to your level.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

delpheye posted:

I've been considering jumping into some public mid level game and waiting until we're far from a vending machine to vomit legendary and then quit. My imagination wants to know what happens next.

Also, I asked earlier but maybe it got lost... are all Cobra's rare or just orange ones?

I saw a reddit post from a guy who had this happen. he was pretty happy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

loving knew it, glad I didn't buy the Season Pass. I'm going to be happy to buy it when it goes on sale on Boxing Day since it's more content but I had a feeling they were going to do this. To be fair they never said the increased level cap content would be in the Season Pass, they just heavily implied it would be and said the season pass stuff would all be "Knoxx level in quality and length" which may or may not be true since I haven't played them yet.

Dross posted:

I am betting that that will not be covered by my Season Pass. Which I would not have bought if I had known that the DLC it covered would provide neither improved loot over the core game nor any meaningful story progression. Where's my General-Knoxx-quality DLC you promised me, Randy? Big bosses are great but I would be a lot more motivated to kill them if they had worthwhile rewards.

This is all speculation, the progression level stuff may be part of the season pass.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Fibby Boy posted:

Honestly I want them to do something interesting with the increased level cap instead of "Here's more levels. Now you can have two ultimate's." I mean we got that in the first game and it was boring as hell. It's partly why my friends and I didn't want an increased level cap.

Another playthrough is perfectly fine though.

Yeah as cool as it would be to just have more points, I'd be more fun and crazy to get some new ridiculous powers.

I always thought it'd be neat if you could profit from kill streaking. Like get 5 kills in X amount of time triggers some kind of fuckoff power boost with a neat effect. Salvador could become like 8 feet tall, Axton could get mech armor voltron style, something visually striking to show how much rear end you're kicking at that moment.

Maybe set a short active limit and a cooldown so its not constant.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Dross posted:

"I just want rarer-than-rarer-than-rare stuff to drop commonly."

I feel that the mistake made by the developers was not in the drop rate of legendaries, but in balancing the game's difficulty so that they are needed. Legendaries are supposed to be a bonus with neat effects. I feel like one should be able to expect to progress well if outfitted in purples.

Ya, I don't know why they balanced bosses around stuff like the bee when they knew it was broken and had a fix planned.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Eh, yeah, the DLCs are nothing too game changing, to be honest. Only buy 'em if you feel like you want more game to chew through. I got suckered in by noted turn-of-the-century huckster-showman Randy Pritchford and bought the season pass. Soooort of regret it, I guess, but I probably would have bought the stuff eventually anyways, 'cuz I love this game.

I enjoyed everything before Big Game Hunt. Its more of the same but the story and characters were entertaining enough that I didn't mind. Big Game Hunt feels much more lonely and the very basic game play structure really comes through when you don't have Mr Torgue screaming guitar noises at you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

play as Sal and get enough points to max a tree and its pretty goddamn fun in the sense that is the most borderlands-ness possible in a given amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Considering how exponentially everything scales anyway.

Yes, that becomes really clear in the Big Game Hunt expansion when you get a guy thats leveled by a witch doctor. It takes like a solid minute of firing to kill them, not fun.

• Locked thread