Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Forgot to answer, but yes, sometimes they will just panic and take off for seemingly no reason sometimes. They could have seen a bird out a window, a sudden shadow or flash of light, someone wearing a hat, a broom, a feather floating by them, or other totally terrifying things

A bit earlier Pion was sitting on the end of the curtain pole. I think she wanted to take off, but something went wrong, and by the time I was looking properly I saw a bird with wings closed to the body falling straight down, landing on the floor.

Nothing serious seems to have come of it, but that was really strange.
She isn't clipped (but I think some damage to the tail feathers might be impacting her flight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No Pion, you cannot eat that. Seriously. Would you kindly try the seed over there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6IjUv1Yhg

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I offered Pion a bowl of water, and she decided to sit and dip the entire face into the bowl, and throw it all over the place, and that's when I figured it might be time for a bath.

So we took a shower together.

There were some very wet poops after that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

anotherblownsave posted:

Daisy rarely cries but when she does its when I'm trying to sleep in. She's used to having an open door if someone is home. Also I can't get her to eat anything but bananas, pellets and seed, is there any way of getting her diet a bit more varied? I feel like I've tried everything

No idea how much it matters, but I think how you serve it matters. Pion definitely seems to prefer fruits with peel (apples, peppers) cut into thin strips, and other stuff just finely chopped.

Have you tried hand feeding the new food? Pion will try to bite just about anything I present, and if it seems to be edible it gets chewed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still drying from the bath.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Your 'tiel actually looks wet! Most of them seem to be totally waterproof. Steve hardly ever looks wet after a bath, apart from his crest.

This was also the result of standing under the human-sized shower. Pion (accidentally, I assume) went all the down on the floor while I was showering. Initially she could barely even fly, with all the water adding weight. Those photos were taken an hour later or so.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Budgie posted:

When you guys shower with the birds do you try and make sure none of the soap gets on them or whatever, or does it not matter? I don't own any pet birds so I'm just curious since a few people in the thread have said about the birds loving the shower.

The feathers do feel slightly greasy in normal, dry state, so I assume soap would remove that grease and it might be bad. So I make sure to keep Pion away while shampooing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Any suggestions for teaching :derptiel: to not eat my mouse pad? I don't want it destroyed and I don't think it's healthy either.

Should I just keep other things nearby that are acceptable to chew on, and present those as soon as she moves towards the mouse pad?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It appears the currently best way to get Pion to not scream when I leave the room, is to stand in the doorway and say "goodbye" several times. Apparently a signal for "I'm going to disappear now, don't worry it's not bad" can also work.
I'd still rather just be able to leave.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Been away for a few days (hey Pookie, good to see you're doing just fine), just back and have to let you know we found the wild ringnecks in London in Hyde Park, went back today and found them again, and spent a good hour calling them out of the trees and hand feeding them :3:

drat. I was visiting London a week ago. I should have known that :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Full cage cleaning is a massive chore. You drat better appreciate it, dumb bird!

*) Not actually dumb. Probably just speaking a language I don't understand too well yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

That bird was far from "just" watching. It was in a store loaded with implements of murder. That bird was plotting.

From the Toco owner on Reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bgaWN8Osg

Knowing how much water Mindo splashes around, that TV must have gotten soaked.

Then as related video I see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndm40IMOH1A

Pet raven!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone have any sort of playing tree, hanging feeder, or other sort of large bird toy construction outside the cage here? If so, could you post pictures? I think I want something like that but not sure what it'd be like.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Caught birb headbanging.

Also chewing on the food trough.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Was she singing or just happy with the world when doing it?

Sorry. I lied. Not actually headbanging, just caught a photo just as she was nodding downwards (to reconfirm whether my monitor might have become edible within the last 10 seconds.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

loving potato birb :mad: Let me show people how cute you can be

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

LOOK AT HIS LITTLE FACE I CAN'T HANDLE IT

(Or her? The face is confusing me, my only female potato was a pastelface so her cheek patches were faded. Its head looks too gray for a male but the cheeks too orange for a female and I think that last one just might be my misperception)

I'm using 'her' for the moment, since that was what the breeder used. I still haven't confirmed sex though.

Pion also recently (some weeks ago by now?) discovered that scritches are very good and will far too often sit on my hand or arm or shoulder and just bend the head all the way down. CUDDLE ME!

Of course I have zero pictures of that. Can't photograph with both arms fully occupied by that tiny, exceedingly fluffy neck.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve will do it to the camera, he's easy to take photos of-Inko is the one that's super suspicious of the camera

How old is Pion? At this point I'd go with "she". Does she ever whistle or sing?

I don't have an exact date, but from late May or early June, so around 3-4 months by now.

She definitely vocalizes, in various ways. I can't call any of it singing, but whistling happens. Then screechy sounds, I think this is mostly when she's tired. And then some screaming, mostly when I'm out of sight. I'm not sure if the screaming is fright of being left alone, or annoyance at me daring to leave...

Anyway just tried taking a video of typical evening antics in the cage. This has almost the full range of vocalizations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXN3w2eefp4

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

PS: Holy crap that's either really good lighting, a fantastic good camera, nuanced setup, or all three. What do you use?

Light is sunset from a window right ahead of me (so backlit), and a warm-color 400 lumen LED bulb overhead.
Camera is Nikon D700, with a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

Camera and lens is quite good, but it's definitely luck with the lighting that makes these.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I am stupid. What does OTP mean in the title?

One True Pairing.

Context: Fanfiction/"shipping"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That makes me wonder, are there any good sorts of crunchy snacks without salt you could make?
Maybe make them salt-less and then have a slightly more salty dip sauce you keep away from the birds (good luck).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

Me too :argh: Despite being an animal that (technically at least) lives in a cage, he is the hardest loving animal to photograph that I have ever had. I took about 40 pictures earlier this morning when he was out with me and they're all gray_unidentifiable_blur_01.jpg essentially.

Keep in mind that good light is #2 requirement for taking decent photos (#1 being having a good subject) - have you tried showering Judah in the morning sun for photos? The better light should let your camera use faster shutter times, meaning less motion blur.

And obviously set up traps of food to keep him occupied :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's the weirdest thing and I don't understand why birds do it. Pion does it too.

(Maybe it's fun?)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Potato Salad posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

You should play I Am Bread on Steam. If you're not familiar, it's a game where you're a slice of bread and you run around the world trying to get Toasted.

Wat

Is it actually good though?

It's pretty darn frustrating. Supposedly much easier to control with an Xbox controller than keyboard/mouse.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MMM FRESH MEATGREENS!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not sure exactly how Pion learned to like scritches. I think a factor was that I helped scratch off some left-over pinfeather casings from her crest, that had been annoying her (or at least me) for a while. And that taught her that fingers to head could be a positive experience.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve has the cardboard tubes from toilet rolls attached to his cage at multiple spots, you can see a half eaten one in front of him in the photo,another in the back on the left, and one on the front left of the photo. He goes through the one he's sat next to every few days. He also bites different patterns/shapes in them depending on where they are in the cage which is kind of interesting

Sell chewed up rolls as bird art. Use proceeds to buy stuff for bird.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just got back from the vet with Pion, for a check-up.

Happily, nothing seems to be wrong, apart from her being fat. I'll need to adjust her diet...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

Whoa that little cage is pretty neat. I use a small airline-approved carrier for Judah since my cockatiel before him came to me in one, but it's kind of inconvenient for just trips to the vet and things like that.

Pion looks pretty indignant about the whole situation :3:

It was okay most of the way to, but she got screamy in the last 10 minutes or so :saddowns:
The trip home went better.

Khizan posted:

Is her name pronounced pee-on or pie-on or another way entirely?

Either is fine really, but I say "pee-on".

Battle Pigeon posted:

Of course she doesn't want to use the perches. How heavy is she? Just cut down on millet that should do it. And/or get some foraging toys to hide it behind or in!

My kitchen scale says 105-108 g in the afternoon. I think it's not supposed to be more than 95 g for a young bird?

I'm really not feeding much millet, but the feed mix I was using until recently probably had way too many sunflower seeds in it. I'm changing to a seed mix and separate pellets now, the vet suggested serving the pellets in the morning and then have seeds as a snack in the afternoon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I think Toast might not be... quite as smart as Bitey. She hasn't learnt how to hop up onto my arm yet, and will nibble small pieces of pellets, but can't seem to figure out how to break down larger pellets (ie by chewing them). Instead she just wobbles them about in her mouth then drops them and stares. She has figured out where the good seeds come from, though.

Try crushing the pellets. Pion also has trouble eating them, they seem to be too hard to crack easily. She usually needs something to brace against to crack bits off. But since the point of pellets isn't to train bite strength (I don't think?) just crushing them should be fine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Couldn't resist making it loop

Now make one where it disappears behind the one leg and appears from the other.

:iit:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay this is low effort, but anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sigh, Pion seems to be straight up eating the newspaper I use for cage lining.

I can't imagine it being well tasting, or healthy, but it might actually be filling.

This is in less than one day, and there aren't any shreds to be found.

Any suggestions to countering this? "More regular food" is not an answer, there's still plenty and she needs to lose some weight either way.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 17, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqaqCoj4k58

(I should shave more often)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai posted:

You're only 10, stop acting like an old man :mad:

To be fair that's like 50 in human years.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Is this like.. a normal :derptiel: thing? I was laughing my rear end off watching this because I've never heard that noise from my birb.

I have no idea because I also think it's a weird sound.
I also had no idea she was looking that much like someone who wanted petting until after I viewed the video myself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The lights are mostly out and Pion is trying to fall asleep, I hope. But not without letting out some more odd noises, mostly like a poorly oiled gear.

It's probably baby noises of some kind, a step to making real adult bird sounds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Huh, seems Pion's started molting today. Lots of feathers falling out during normal preening, including at least one tiny, orange cheek feather. Isn't that sort of early? She's about 4-5 months by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Nope, they'll sort of vary when depending on warmth, weather, food, etc. Steve molts multiple times a year (he's doing it now, even) and cockatiel molts are the worst. So much dust and feathers, and all at once. And so drat grumpy

Oh yeah that might be it. Screaming is definitely increasing, for no other apparent reason.

At least she seems to like her new swing.