Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The notion that people compared it to defacing the Mona Lisa is not a hyperbolic statement to make a point; that's the exact comparison one guy made on the Nexus forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That is pretty freaky, erm, why would you put a starfox character in that getup?

Also,

Bronies meets WoT meets Phoenix Wright.

Fakeedit: I had no idea there were so many anime character skins for WoT :negative:

Realedit: And another Pinkie Pie one for you

Pinkie Pie M40 Party Cannon:confuoot:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 30, 2012

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Upmarket Mango posted:

THE PUNISHED: VIRGIN BLOOD 2 (click for images)

I gotta say, the lack of vaginal bleeding in Oblivion was a serious oversight on Bethesda's part. Luckily this modder's got us covered.

Hahah, nice.

What makes this mod more worrying for me at least is that the guy that posted it has a picture of a toddler as his avatar picture.

Jimmy Savile would be proud

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is that model, sans clothing, ripped from something? It looks fairly well made for a creepy furry sex mod.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sankis posted:

Is that model, sans clothing, ripped from something? It looks fairly well made for a creepy furry sex mod.

Probably a human nude model with a lovely coloring job and the head slapped on from the actual Star Fox games.

Speaking of terrible Bethesda game drama, here's a nice writeup summarizing a bunch of modders flipping their poo poo at a guy who compiled a bunch of mods and wrote instructions on how to get them to work together:

http://www.manapool.co.uk/morrowind-2011-mod-compilation-threatened/

Choice quote:

quote:

Unfortunately it seems that some of the authors of the mods included in this compilation were not as pleased with the effort. The day after the mod collection was turned over to the public, Tyler reported on Reddit that he had began to receive complaints and threats of legal action from various mod authors along with demands that he take the package offline. He was also banned and IP blocked from Bethesda’s Morrowind forums. And to rub salt in the wound, someone even went to the trouble of contacting his ISP to get him cut from the internet. (Talk about taking things a little too far?)

Tyler started to update the credits of his compilation in an effort to appease the mod authors, but the ones causing trouble didn’t seem interested in reaching a middle ground. One particularly annoyed mod author said that “the list of credits is largely irrelevant” and “The bottom line is that your compilation violates copyright law in about a dozen countries and a vast majority of the authors whose work was included aren’t happy about it.” as well as “Fixing the credits, nice as it may be, doesn’t solve the issue of the whole package being illegal.”

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

That is pretty freaky, erm, why would you put a starfox character in that getup?

That's probably more dignified than the getup she first appeared in. She's always been a sex object, even in official art.

Official art from Nintendo circa Starfox Assault. You really can't pin this one on the furries.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

^^^^Good thing I never played StarFox after Starfox 64.

Control Volume posted:

Probably a human nude model with a lovely coloring job and the head slapped on from the actual Star Fox games.

Speaking of terrible Bethesda game drama, here's a nice writeup summarizing a bunch of modders flipping their poo poo at a guy who compiled a bunch of mods and wrote instructions on how to get them to work together:

http://www.manapool.co.uk/morrowind-2011-mod-compilation-threatened/

Choice quote:

quote:

Unfortunately it seems that some of the authors of the mods included in this compilation were not as pleased with the effort. The day after the mod collection was turned over to the public, Tyler reported on Reddit that he had began to receive complaints and threats of legal action from various mod authors along with demands that he take the package offline. He was also banned and IP blocked from Bethesda’s Morrowind forums. And to rub salt in the wound, someone even went to the trouble of contacting his ISP to get him cut from the internet. (Talk about taking things a little too far?)

Tyler started to update the credits of his compilation in an effort to appease the mod authors, but the ones causing trouble didn’t seem interested in reaching a middle ground. One particularly annoyed mod author said that “the list of credits is largely irrelevant” and “The bottom line is that your compilation violates copyright law in about a dozen countries and a vast majority of the authors whose work was included aren’t happy about it.” as well as “Fixing the credits, nice as it may be, doesn’t solve the issue of the whole package being illegal.”

This was likely one of the first actions of :frogsiren:THE GUILD:frogsiren:

They will not stand for or tolerate copyright infringement, even when they have no idea what goes into the copyright process other than putting a stupid C on their stuff.

EDIT:Holy poo poo, I read the comments on the article, and wow, those butthurt modders are just hilarious. There are so many posts about modder's etiquette and modder's trust, and the invisible, unwritten code that mods are governed by. :laffo:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 30, 2012

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Skyrim's TOS for the game and the editor explicitly forbid any claim of copyright or control over mods, and actually declare your End-User License void if you do. It's an elegantly simple bit of contract writing that prevents any and all legal threats against people redistributing mods.

That doesn't stop Nexus or Steam Workshop from pulling things that modders make claim to, though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Skyrim's TOS for the game and the editor explicitly forbid any claim of copyright or control over mods, and actually declare your End-User License void if you do. It's an elegantly simple bit of contract writing that prevents any and all legal threats against people redistributing mods.

That doesn't stop Nexus or Steam Workshop from pulling things that modders make claim to, though.

Those things tend to be mostly unenforced unless there's some worth in enforcing it. Game modders get to feel a false sense of ownership, Bethesda maintains the good will of the community.

Oh, and free speech artistic integrity.

Meanwhile, some StarCraft modders go on to make games and make money.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the point isn't to enforce it; the point is to make any threats of formal legal action inherently invalid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Argas posted:

Those things tend to be mostly unenforced unless there's some worth in enforcing it. Game modders get to feel a false sense of ownership, Bethesda maintains the good will of the community.

Is it only Bethseda games and or games supported by Nexus that get all these weird over-possessive :airquote:copyright master:airquote: modders involved in them?

I honestly haven't seen much/any of this from any other modding communities, but also those modding communities are smaller too.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Is it only Bethseda games and or games supported by Nexus that get all these weird over-possessive :airquote:copyright master:airquote: modders involved in them?

I honestly haven't seen much/any of this from any other modding communities, but also those modding communities are smaller too.

The minecraft community is just as bad, others too probably.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

The minecraft community is just as bad, others too probably.

Mass adfly links and authors who constantly remind you of how much they hate answering your questions (given the community, it isn't a surprise) all combined with the fact that the game you're modding desperately wants to avoid being modded at any cost such that the developer will actually obfuscate and randomize the code as much as possible.

It's this beautiful little ball of hatred :allears:

I admit this isn't as disturbing given how far the bar has been raised by the first few posts.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I imagine that any modding community can get it. It's a matter of ego more than the size of the community. A larger community just means more people. The Elder Scrolls are pretty much the game to make mods for.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Yeah, the point isn't to enforce it; the point is to make any threats of formal legal action inherently invalid.

I imagine it gets troublesome when other people threaten legal action but never carry it out because the threatened are cowed by it. On one hand, it's not worth the trouble. On the other hand, the people making the threats are seriously being dumb and dicks about it whether or not they know about the legality of the matter or if they intend to go through with it.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Argas posted:

Maybe it's because I am terrible at anything other than multiplayer FPS games, but I feel like all the notable cases of modders going on to actually do something with their lives are all from multiplayer FPS or RTS games.

It's probably because no one gives a poo poo about buttplugs when it comes to fragging dudes :clint:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Bethesda do hire modders, but none of them are people who make buttplugs or rape dungeons.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I kinda miss how mods back in the day were just stupid and funny rather then creepy sex pervert stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cptZZX0i_4

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Strong Female posted:

Is that someone (something?) from Star Fox? I didn't know they had girl animals :shobon:
You might want to watch this Let's Play of Starfox Adventures to learn about the character in a safe way.
Short version: she is a different character from a different game that became Adventures and she was kept as an incredibly flat character and forced love interest.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I think Bethesda do hire modders, but none of them are people who make buttplugs or rape dungeons.

They do. The guy who made Morrowind Combat Enhanced was the lead combat designer on Oblivion IIRC. One of the bigger Morrowind modelers went on to work as a modeler for Epic on the UT series too. Not sure if any Oblivion modders were hired for Skyrim though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Strong Female posted:

Maybe it's because I am terrible at anything other than multiplayer FPS games, but I feel like all the notable cases of modders going on to actually do something with their lives are all from multiplayer FPS or RTS games.

It's probably because no one gives a poo poo about buttplugs when it comes to fragging dudes :clint:

It's generally because FPS and RTS games don't have a lot to mod. Changing the graphics is a tiny thing when gameplay is the big thing, and changing the gameplay is challenging because it will need some balancing.

On the flipside, most mods for the TES games are contributing to existing playstyles and systems. Macho Man Randy Savage Dragon is amusing but it's just a different looking dragon with different sound effects. A player-made house is just another exterior and interior space. It's the difference between taking apart your Lego sets to make a house and using Lego to make a working rubber band gun, or crazy Lego Mindstorms stuff like great ball contraptions. Simpler mods aren't any less worthwhile than mods that go all out, but it's all down to ego.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They do. The guy who made Morrowind Combat Enhanced was the lead combat designer on Oblivion IIRC. One of the bigger Morrowind modelers went on to work as a modeler for Epic on the UT series too. Not sure if any Oblivion modders were hired for Skyrim though.

Didn't the Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul guy get hired?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Argas posted:

It's generally because FPS and RTS games don't have a lot to mod. Changing the graphics is a tiny thing when gameplay is the big thing, and changing the gameplay is challenging because it will need some balancing.

On the flipside, most mods for the TES games are contributing to existing playstyles and systems. Macho Man Randy Savage Dragon is amusing but it's just a different looking dragon with different sound effects. A player-made house is just another exterior and interior space. It's the difference between taking apart your Lego sets to make a house and using Lego to make a working rubber band gun, or crazy Lego Mindstorms stuff like great ball contraptions. Simpler mods aren't any less worthwhile than mods that go all out, but it's all down to ego.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, but you articulated far better than I could have.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Argas posted:

It's generally because FPS and RTS games don't have a lot to mod.
FPS games have a fairly big mod scene though, and several major mods have gone on to be commercial successes in their own right. Counterstrike's an outlier in terms of its success, but it's far from the only example.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Didn't the Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul guy get hired?

He did, but not by Bethseda, he got hired by Obsidian.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Doctor Spaceman posted:

FPS games have a fairly big mod scene though, and several major mods have gone on to be commercial successes in their own right. Counterstrike's an outlier in terms of its success, but it's far from the only example.

They do but different weapon skins and such aren't seen as the cream of FPS modding. Counterstrike, Natural Selection, etc. FPS and RTS games are generally played in rounds and reset at the end. Some things carry over, some things don't, but it's rarely a persistent world. Look at Gungame or DoTA. Those changed gameplay. Sure, Gungame still has you shooting people in the same way as before (Generally) but it forces people to get used to different tactics and priorities change as a result. DoTA is just a completely different game from the standard RTS, the WC3 interface and look was kept but the game was another beast.

The mod that Gategate happened over didn't do a ton except for immersion. Sure, it placed cities into the open world but cities are effectively another form of interior space, with more interior spaces within. I don't know how hard it was to do all that but fundamental gameplay didn't change. Even how you interact with the game didn't change. For all the emotions that erupted from that sad and hilarious case, the value of the mod was partly convenience and partly feel.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EDIT: gently caress, doublepost. Remove this please.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

The MSJ posted:

That's the funniest thing about all the modder drama, the ones that are angriest in general are the ones that are making the worst possible mods (99% of model+texture swap mods), made a stupid-rear end decision in their mod (OBLIVION GATES EVEERRYWHERE), or made a mod that took absolutely no effort whatsoever (plain texture/model swap). In every single one the criticism is valid but they just can't accept it.

The ones that make actual *decent* mods are receptive to suggestions and aren't total assbags (and some of them have gone on to make their own games/work on games).

I can only imagine how horrible those people would be to deal with in the real world.

e; while I don't think I've worked with a modder before, I have worked with people with similarly lovely attitudes. I'm a programmer and do a lot of temp work on teams and almost every team has one guy that is absolutely hellbent on ruining it for everyone. Touch some code they've written in any capacity? STRAIGHT TO MANAGEMENT. Management not receptive of their dumb complaint? STRAIGHT TO <whatever poor upper management chump they find first>.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 30, 2012

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Gripper posted:

That's the funniest thing about all the modder drama, the ones that are angriest in general are the ones that are making the worst possible mods (99% of model+texture swap mods), made a stupid-rear end decision in their mod (OBLIVION GATES EVEERRYWHERE), or made a mod that took absolutely no effort whatsoever (plain texture/model swap). In every single one the criticism is valid but they just can't accept it.

The ones that make actual *decent* mods are receptive to suggestions and aren't total assbags (and some of them have gone on to make their own games/work on games).

I can only imagine how horrible those people would be to deal with in the real world.

The thing is that those horrible people who make a massive stink about the modders rights poo poo are either teenagers who are convinced that they will get hired by a company on the ~excellence~ of their mediocre mods, or they are horrible (unemployed) neckbeards who live in their mother's basement who have not seen sun in quite some time, and won't get hired by any game company ever, but they can dream.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The joke goes, that those horrible people who make a massive stink about the modders rights poo poo are either teenagers who are convinced that they will get hired by a company on the ~excellence~ of their mediocre mods, or they are horrible neckbeards who live in their mother's basement who have not seen sun in quite some time

It's the silliest thing to have pride in.

Imagine printing a copy of the Mona Lisa, adding your own touch to it, and then taking pride in it in front of others.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

The thing is that those horrible people who make a massive stink about the modders rights poo poo are either teenagers who are convinced that they will get hired by a company on the ~excellence~ of their mediocre mods, or they are horrible (unemployed) neckbeards who live in their mother's basement who have not seen sun in quite some time, and won't get hired by any game company ever, but they can dream.
I've got no problems with dreaming, but in my dreams I actually make something amazing/do something amazing that makes me rich and famous. I don't dream that the turd I've been nursing for 2 years suddenly becomes a diamond (but I probably will tonight <:mad:>).

Argas posted:

Imagine printing a copy of the Mona Lisa, adding your own touch to it, and then taking pride in it in front of others.
Well, this works both ways because it might be a silly thing to take pride in, but it's also a silly thing for da Vinci to send his internet lawyers to your ISP to get your account suspended because of it.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 30, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Argas posted:

Indeed, the silliest thing.

(Double irony because during Gategate some of the drama modders actually said "How would anyone dare to take the Mona Lisa and change it???!!!!")

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Argas posted:

I can understand modifying something and taking pride in the belief you made it better.

I cannot understand doing that and then flipping out when someone goes and modifies your modification. It's pure hypocrisy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

That's great and amusing.

Far better than declaring work x untouchable art.

Offkorn posted:

I can understand modifying something and taking pride in the belief you made it better.

I cannot understand doing that and then flipping out when someone goes and modifies your modification. It's pure hypocrisy.

Basically. People should be proud of their work. There's degrees of pride, and when their ego gets involved, it becomes problematic.

Moving cities to the open world is something to be proud of. It's something people have clamoured for before, so there's a definite feeling of doing something good for others. But then he declared his work an immutable piece of art even after people began to dislike it for the gates. And then flipping out once someone does something to change that.

It's roughly similar to Reddit's obsession with free speech. Their support for it isn't so much what it actually stands for but because it makes them feel better and they would like to continue to feel better.

Argas fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 30, 2012

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I honestly think most of the modders we're talking about want their "art" to be unchangeable because they're afraid of someone making their art better. It's not that they think their art is perfect, it's that they know it's not perfect but by preventing anyone else from fixing it theirs is perpetually "the most perfect" version available by default.

I guess that ties in to the want/need for game companies to recognize them aspect of it; nobody's improvements can ever get in the way of their original!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Gripper posted:

I guess that ties in to the want/need for game companies to recognize them aspect of it; nobody's improvements can ever get in the way of their original!

How else are you supposed to get a great job making 3 dimensional buttplugs good original game content if someone else mod's your mod? After all, you are trying to get a job through a modding website, instead of using a job hunting website?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How else are you supposed to get a great job making 3 dimensional buttplugs good original game content if someone else mod's your mod? After all, you are trying to get a job through a modding website, instead of using a job hunting website?

Because people hire true artists and creators, not people who can make up a resume and post it to the site. What's more reliable and revealing about a person, a piece of artwork they make that's downloaded and used by thousands, or a resume that can be faked?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Years back I was playing The Sims 2, and that game had a lot of ridiculous mods which I wish I could remember. I still recall someone created a cthulhu-inspired race - I can't locate any pictures other than this:

Also, someone modded the pee to be yellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1uBihWTJWk

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's not nearly as funny until you start thinking that this screenshot might not have been intended to be funny.
It's from a humor blog for Skyrim mods

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The Nexus does love its thinly veiled pedophilia mods.

Meanwhile, this next one has been downloaded by 38,130 different people on TES Nexus and is the 26th most popular adult mod for Oblivion. :gonk:

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/tTAPT.jpg :nms:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/0CWHc.jpg :nms:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/MPSkw.jpg :nms:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/UtpL3.jpg :nms:

On a less frightening note, Skyrim Nexus has a great selection of BOOBTACULARLY ENORMOUS TITS and DONKTASTICALLY, STUPENDOUSLY HUGE BUTTS available for your enjoyment.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/YXrDd.jpg :nws:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/qQqWc.jpg :nws:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/3eT7v.jpg :nws:

The best of both worlds:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/5H9CG.jpg :nws:

Also, buttcoins:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/MQlAE.jpg :nws:

Remember your Rad-X, kids.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/nT1Dz.jpg :nws:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/oOJ8J.jpg :nms:

Jackard posted:

It's from a humor blog for Skyrim mods

Yes, "humour blog"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

SplitSoul posted:

Meanwhile, this next one has been downloaded by 38,130 different people on TES Nexus and is the 26th most popular adult mod for Oblivion. :gonk:

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/tTAPT.jpg :nms:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/0CWHc.jpg :nms:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/MPSkw.jpg :nms:
:nms: http://i.imgur.com/UtpL3.jpg :nms:

I knew what this was already before clicking it.

Why did I click it.

Why. :shepicide:

• Locked thread