Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
Manny Bothans found out they were making another one, the original Death Star plans were stolen by "rebel fighters striking from a secret base", which the EU changed into "Eight thousand different groups of rebels capturing the Death Star plans through various means". I'm sure in the Disney canon the cast of Rebels will be the ones who capture them if that show goes on long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Losing battles, apparently.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Palpatine's reign lasted for about 36 years, even if his title changed at different points during that time, and the corrupt and decadent old Republic lasted a hell of a lot longer than that, but I don't think the ancient-ness of the Empire matters that much, ultimately. Even without the prequels, the timeline really only made sense if the Empire was a relatively new thing, because Luke and Leia were only in their late teens-early twenties in the original movies, Vader didn't know of their existence until they were adults, and it was implied the Emperor and Vader started this new galactic order themselves. With those bits of info in play, it doesn't really make much sense for the Empire to have existed that long if he had impregnated a woman while he was still Anakin yet never found out that he had children until they were adults because he became Vader and their existence was hidden from him.

Also, I don't think the Sith are really the "good guys" of the prequels, they're exploiting a corrupt system to steal people's rights and acquire more power. When they turned the old Republic into an Empire, they weren't making things better, they were replacing the Jedi and the corrupt government with even worse versions of those things.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I am so glad the EU was fired into the sun.

Holy gently caress is that bad. Just :lol: if you unironically enjoyed that.

The EU was dumb as poo poo in many, many ways, but that was actually an "Infinities" story, meaning it wasn't even canon by EU standards. It was intended as a joke.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
On the topic of the Jedi using clones, I don't think it's as simple as "they're totally cool with using slaves" in that instance. I think it's more that they are joining the war because they want to bring peace to the galaxy and find and destroy the Sith, the Republic has already decided on using the clone army, and by not needing conscripts they diminish the civilian deaths considerably. It's a choice that has no real right answer, perhaps, but I think it's easy to see the attractiveness of using an army whose only purpose is to fight and kill vs conscripting a bunch of people who have never known combat at all into service against a massive army of robots programmed for fighting.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So, slaves, in other words.

I wasn't saying they weren't slaves, I was saying the reasons for using them aren't really the standard reasons people in the real world use slaves.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The standard reason people use slaves in the real world is willingness to participate in a slave system for the sake of convenience or expediency.

But not to save trillions of lives, usually.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

:allears:

Anyway, re: Clone Army. I think it's immoral to commission the creation of a clone army, but not immoral to use it once there is a risk of destruction in total war.

Conscription is /probably/ justified insofar as the loss of total war often represents the destruction of the state and the ideology behind it as well as the removal of a guarantee of safety for the citizens are provided by the state. But notably it is basically slavery that we justify in extreme times.

In any case, for the Republic to be able to defend itself we probably have to posit that conscription would be required. If this is unjustifiable to you then fair enough, the Republic loses the war, whatever.

If conscription is justifiable as a concept then we admit that the Republic is going to have to use slaves in some regard anyway. At the point the Republic goes to war, it has its citizens to conscript or a bunch of military commandos who have been cloned up and are really goddamn good at fighting war. Now you could let those commandos go free, or just conscript all of them. At that point you're literally just trading one set of slaves for another. It's not a decision I consider to be particularly moral, but to me it's no worse than the decision that would be made where the citizens are conscripted.

This was the point I was trying to make. The Jedi didn't make the clone army, they aren't the ones deciding the Republic will use them, their decision is purely whether or not they command the war effort or not. I'm not saying this was a good or moral situation they were in, but it's a hell of a lot more complicated than the Jedi saying "slaves are cool". Especially because the alternative is conscripting and recruiting from thousands of different star systems and scrambling to teach these various peoples how to fight a war in a coordinated fashion in spite of the fact that the Republic hasn't had an army or large-scale war to fight in generations. They would be depriving far more people of their rights, lives, and freedoms, because the war wouldn't go nearly as well for the non-combatants, either, with a ragtag army of hastily trained aliens from across an entire galaxy that's largely accustomed to peace defending them against beings designed solely for war, all because of the ethical questions raised by clones. Not to say they necessarily made the right call, but the clone issue is more complex than simply using people for menial labor because you think you're superior to them.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 2, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Kurzon posted:

From what I've read in the Expanded Universe, the clones were commissioned by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas after he had a vision that the Republic would need an army. That means a single Jedi placed a very expensive order on behalf of the Republic without telling anyone. How does this happen? And how is it the people of Kamino never checked up on the Republic while they were busy making the clones ("Hello, your army is half-finished. You're still good for this, right?). How did the Republic react when the Kaminos presented them with a massive bill for an army they didn't know they ordered?

Those questions are good ones, but based on the information we've been given from the movies and "The Clone Wars" TV show, they somehow didn't know. We do know that Dooku was the one who hired Jango Fett to be the genetic template for the clones, so maybe he was the one fielding all their questions until Obi-Wan stumbled upon Kamino? I've heard the TV show explains more about Sifo-Diyas, but I don't know all the details as I only ever caught a few episodes of that show.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So has any supplementary material explained why Jakku is so important? I've heard it's apparently supposed to be the last battle of the war, but why? Why would losing there be enough for the Empire to call it quits?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I think there is some novel or comic that explains all that.

I assumed Jakku itself isn't all that important it just happens to be where certain Imperial assets were lost and they couldn't come back from it. I remember in the EU the remnants of the Empire had a hierarchy pretty much based on who had command of the biggest Star Destroyer, and I think by the end of RotJ there were only one or two Super Star Destroyers left in existence. So if they lost a few of those really important ships it would have been tough to come back from, and the Jakku battle does involve a Star Destroyer crashing on the planet.

I think that "only a few Super Star Destroyers" thing is pretty minimalist, though. I mean, Han straight up says to Luke there are plenty of command ships when Luke is worried that the Super Star Destroyer guarding the Death Star is Vader's, and you'd think there must be tons of ships guarding the inner worlds of the galaxy like Coruscant.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's the last battle by the unified Empire. They dumped all their combined resources in one on favourable terrain to beat the New Republic and then lost anyway. That broke the unified Empire's back. All the Moffs decided after that that they were the ones who knew how to win the war and gave in to infighting. So the Republic just picked them off one by one.

That's interesting, I thought I had heard that the Empire supposedly stopped fighting after the Battle of Jakku, but I guess I haven't paid enough attention to what's going on in the supplementary material.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think people get way too hung up on the idea that Jedi aren't supposed to use violence at all, or that Luke was rejecting using violence or his lightsaber ever again while on the Death Star. If that were the case, the Emperor could've just had Vader attack Luke and force him to defend himself. Yoda says the Dark Side can take hold of Jedi if they aren't properly controlling their emotions and powers. To be an ideal Jedi is more about dealing with one's emotions in a healthy way and not fighting with rage or vengefulness in one's heart. Incidentally, the former is where the Jedi fail in the prequels. They are so ill-equipped to deal with anyone who hasn't been indoctrinated from their early life into processing emotions in the way they do, that they're terrible at helping Anakin through his grief and fear.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't see why the marketing matters, the fact that the title doesn't have any episode numbering is significant enough.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Considering Lucasfilm released the theatrical cuts on DVD less than ten years ago, I doubt Lucas is forcing them to not release the theatrical editions on Blu-Ray.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Silver Brushes posted:

Watching one episode a week before TFA with a housemate who has never seen them. It's interesting to see things vicariously with fresh eyes. For Star Wars we watched the bonus disc completely unedited albeit lower-quality version, and she immediately pointed out the cluster of dudes on the left of the Triumph of the Will shot. They looked even worse than that screencap, like a cardboard standup. Never noticed before. She also thought the Empire Yoda puppet was awful after seeing him last in III, which is something a few people have pointed out in this thread.

Your dumb friend just doesn't have the sense of wonder that Simon Pegg's daughter has!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

thathonkey posted:

still nobody has given a good enough theory about how finn could be trained well enough in lightsaber use to survive an encounter with kylo ren :allears:

again, luke's first saber battle with vader he would've easily easily easily been kllled if vader hadn't taken mercy on him. and that was after training with yoda, the most powerful jedi master known living in the galaxy.

Kylo Ren can't even make a lightsaber that doesn't look shoddy and stupid, what makes you think he's anywhere close to Darth Vader?

Also, my prediction is that Kylo Ren's voice will be the new Bane Voice.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Bad news, but this happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Han has been dead for light years.

Someone's never played Pokemon...

Davros1 posted:

Don't forget the god awful leap Vader does in Empire. I'm honestly surprised he didn't grab his cape and try to glide.

Vader gliding was awesome. You guys who want the only Force powers to be blocking drone shots while blindfolded and pushing poo poo remotely are the worst. It's supposed to be an all-powerful energy field, let these sorcerers do sorcerer poo poo sometimes.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Davros1 posted:

It looked like poo poo. Far worse, and far sillier, than the Yoda or Palpatine leaping in the prequels.

Who cares how it looked, he was gliding around using the Force and nearly stomps on Luke's head, it's badass.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

On the topic of film critics, it's interesting to read Ebert's reviews:

TPM: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999

AOTC: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-2002

ROTS: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith-2005

he doesn't directly state it, but he gets the point that Star Wars is intended to be a visual and not auditory series:

Indeed, the main reason he seems to have disliked AOTC the most (it's the only one he didn't give 3.5/4 stars) is because he was watching a version transferred to film, rather than a digital projection.

RotS has an 80% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes as well, that's pretty good. The notion that it's just as bad as the other two and doesn't have anything worthwhile in it seems to come from angry fans more than being based on the critical or general audience reception.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Their relationship stays strong because they are stupid teenagers who kill themselves before it has time to die out. There's a lot of indications in R&J that it was, at best, a particularly passionate teenage romance and that is part of the tragedy of it. They're star-crossed lovers but nothing says star-crossed lovers are destined to work out. Anakin and Padme have a lot in common with them. They're horny young folks who really find the other super-hot (and the grass-rolling scene alone seems to back up this ain't all on Anakin's side.) They're also really pretty different and nothing we see of their relationship hints it has a long-term future beyond "god, you're hot and we're both pretty dumb."

In the case of R&J they both die before it can fizzle. In the case of RotS it does fizzle in the most spectacular way. Anakin goes nuts, accuses his pregnant wife of betraying him, and chokes her to death. He's only a stained wifebeater and a pickup truck away from being a stereotype of a hosed up high school romance. Still, even if R&J had survived, odds are not great their relationship would have ended up any better.

A lot of people say the prequel trilogy makes no sense but I think 'makes no sense' has increasingly become shorthand for "I don't like it and refuse to engage with it." The prequel trilogy makes perfect sense and has a strong cohesive theme behind it. Whatever flaws it has are in execution at best. Anakin's fall is clearly communicated and doesn't need cartoons or television shows to explain why it happened.

I think people praise the cartoon's portrayal of Anakin because it portrays him as the "cool, mature, and badass" Anakin that people grew up thinking he'd be(though I also have a family member who is a huge Star Wars fan who hated watching The Clone Wars with his son because he said he didn't care about any of the characters). C.S. Lewis has pretty good quote about people who desperately strive for "maturity" in their entertainment, but in general I think it's fans not letting go of their presumptions of who he was before he became Darth Vader based on vague mentions in the original movies.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Christensen's performance in Episode II is so petulantly emotional that (as many of the films' critics found) it can actually be painful to watch. There's absolutely no element of personal embarrassment or self-consciousness in the performance. Christensen doesn't do anything to try to hide the fact that he's playing a whiny teenager with severe emotional hang-ups. He's a bit like an onscreen version of Holden Caulfield, another interesting character modern audiences now love to hate. Just like Holden, Anakin either reminds you of the person you once were and are now ashamed of, or he reminds you of other people in your life who you always hated and could never stand. Either way, he was destined to be a polarizing character.

I can understand why some people would dislike the performance, but one thing it is clearly not is "wooden." People who say that don't seem to actually know what "wooden" means as a criticism; like they think it's just a catch-all term for "bad acting" or something. "Wooden" is a criticism that could be fairly applied to Natalie Portman's performance at times, but not Christensen's. People are clearly just taking their visceral (and perfectly valid) distaste toward Christensen's screen presence and throwing out random critical buzzwords they read in a magazine review one time.

Hayden Christensen is no James Dean, but the vibe he was going for with his character was clearly heavily derived from Dean's character in Rebel Without a Cause:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGDruqXV5g&t=98s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFg2qByF4E

Notice the mixture of cocky, cornily-affected self-assuredness juxtaposed against instances of unrestrained, petulant, almost comically over-the-top emotional outbursts. I really think people just haven't watched a lot of the older movies Star Wars is based on, and so they don't understand that acting styles really have changed. Dean's performance absolutely would not fly in a modern production. I bet it would get mocked nearly as roundly as Christensen's was. It's not ironically self-deprecating or winkingly self-aware enough for audiences today. But that's exactly the kind of throwback performance Lucas was going for.

This is actually a really interesting point, I've never seen Rebel Without A Cause but you can definitely see some similarities. I think Christiansen may not be the greatest actor of all time, but you kind of have to give him props for turning in an honest performance like that. It's also worth mentioning that Anakin's children in the OT, especially Luke, are pretty petulantly emotional themselves. Even Han is in the beginning of ESB when he's getting pissy that Leia refuses to share her feelings with him. I actually like this, as much as the "whininess" of Luke and Anakin has been roundly mocked throughout pop culture, because it's pretty unique even by today's standards for action heroes to progress in the way these characters do. Even Leia is pretty unique by the standards of female action heroes despite the fact that that's become really common these days.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

This reminds me, was she(I think her name is Yaddle?) replaced with CGI in TPM like Yoda was? Because if not, that'd be super weird.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It is weird how Lucas doesn't enjoy directing actors or writing dialogue but he only got someone else to do those things for two out of six of these movies. Ron Howard was saying recently that Lucas did ask a bunch of people to direct the prequels, but I wonder why he didn't keep looking once his friends said no.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

I can't take credit for this one, I just bought a publicly available e-book and used the power of fair use doctrine to copy/paste it onto the Internet with commentary! Being an Ambiguously Autistic Star Wars Scholar (™) on a dying comedy forum means this is fair use, right? I feel like if I was more autistic I would know this.

Copyright law just isn't your autistic interest, I suppose. But yeah, this is really cool stuff, what would you say are the best behind-the-scenes books?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's valid to read the scene either way.

I assumed Palpatine was faking it but my friend was sure that Windu had almost won and to be honest there's a fairly argument for either reading. Even if Palpatine later uses it to his advantage against the Jedi it's kinda hard to buy his plan involved him getting his face melted by default, and Windu did seem to legitimately be onto his tricks.

I sort of prefer the later even if it isn't how I interpreted it just because it makes it a bit more interesting that Palpatine could have hosed up and lost right there if not for Anakin's choice, rather than it being entirely "Anakin got played, son."

Whether or not Palpatine really got his face melted is also up to interpretation, though. It's also possible he was concealing his true face until that moment.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Grievous and Vader after putting on the suit are the only lightsaber-wielding characters that never spin in the movies. Cyborgs can't spin.

On the Sidious and Plagueis thing, in the script and novelization Palpatine admits Plagueis was his master and that he never actually learned the secret to controlling life. Plagueis is way more likely to be Anakin's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I've got a pet dog but that doesn't mean i have friends

You okay, bro? But yeah, Han pets Chewie numerous times.

ImpAtom posted:

In the script and the novelization for RotJ Owen Laws is Obi-Wan Kenobi's brother, so that honestly doesn't matter in the slightest.

Well, it doesn't "not matter in the slightest" even if you think it's not valid now, because it gives some sense of the thinking behind this plot point. If you go purely by the movies, then we don't even know if Plagueis was Sidious' master. There's no conclusive evidence that Palpatine made Anakin, so it could be him, could be Plagueis, could be the Force itself. It's supposed to be ambiguous whether or not he's a Sith creation or truly the "Chosen One".

• Locked thread