Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Not really sure Star Wars is the franchise to go exploring ethical dilemmas.

Are you kidding?

The OT itself is full of these: Solo being heroic purely for profit, Droids not being seen as equals and barred from establishments, various characters struggling with individual wants versus the common good, Lando being forced to betray his friend in order to prevent his constituents on Bespin from suffering the Empire's wrath, and many other examples I'm sure.

Like someone said earlier: Entertainment and intellectualism are not mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

scary ghost dog posted:

All of these things you said are cinematic cliches, and were cliches before Star Wars.
You guys need to pull your heads out of the sand and watch Star Wars. They are not moral plays designed to make you think about complex human issues, they're pulpy sci-fantasy blockbusters made as a labour of love and featuring the exact same pulpy cliched characters that Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon and their pals hung around with in the predecessors to Star Wars. I'm not saying Star Wars can't be intellectual, I'm saying that if you put intellectuality in front of entertainment with regards to Star Wars, you end up with exactly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1YzX8mOhB0

The original three Star Wars movies are excellent. A movie does not have to be intellectual or cerebral or "deep" to be excellent. Stop spreading this terrible notion around and start appreciating movies for not all being vast exposés on the human condition. Stop reading wookiepedia.

Myself, and others, haven't said that a movie has to be intellectual to be excellent. We said, and I repeat, entertainment and intellectualism are not mutually exclusive. And it works both ways: An entertaining movie does not have to be intellectual to be entertaining, while an intellectual movie does not have to be entertaining to be intellectual. It also means that neither one has to take precedence over the other. Intellectualism does not have to be at the forefront for it to be intellectual, and the same goes for entertainment. They can co-exist in equal measure as long as the creatives behind it are capable.

Whether you agree with it or not, the original trilogy is pulpy space opera with unsubtle themes and elements of ideas beyond space opera. These themes and elements are not always just there to add complexity to the setting, but as commentary on aspects of reality. And no I'm not necessarily subscribing to an SMG level of analysis, because you don't even have to go that deep! Most of it is right there on the page (or screen), and obvious as hell.

Finally, just because something is a cliche does not mean it's banal. If a cliched element is expanded upon, it can become more than its origin. Just like a collection of cliched elements can become more than the sum of its parts, and that should remind you of something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Skwirl posted:

Karl Urban was excellent, but he was the only one doing an impression of the previous actor instead of an interpretation. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto were amazing, and if they hadn't made it their own it would have been terrible. Especially Chris Pine, I really don't want to see any 29 year old actor's impression of William Shatner. I want to see a fully realized character, and you can't do that with an impression, it would just come off as parody.

Honestly, they mostly seemed like impressions except for Uhura, Sulu, and Scotty. Somehow, that didn't degrade its quality to me all that much.

For the most part, this should be a none-issue when it comes to Episode 7. Unless the less likely scenario occurs, and they end up having to recast principals from the OT, or go for some sort of straight reboot.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Skwirl posted:

I bet if it's a straight up sequel, it will be set farther from the end of Return than we are from Return's release in theaters.

Which makes sense, but begs the question: How do you encapsulate 30+ years of in-universe history in a concise manner?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember a single flashback in any Star Wars film. It was never part of its aesthetic. So maybe leaving that period ambiguous is best even if counter-intuitive.

However, I do remember a certain 2009 sci-fi reboot, directed by some Abrams guy, which employed a flashback...

Edit: Just thought of how long the opening crawl could be if they went that route. Yikes.

EditThe2:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-Gentle self-mockery. (e.g Hamill's incredibly dorky, over-eager delivery of the line "I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm here to rescue you!!!")

You realize that line/delivery can be taken at face value. Luke was pretty eager about, well just about everything, after the magic of his surrogate parents dying.

Note that space battles, 'the force', laser swords, and specific characters are not listed as necessary.

Good luck to whoever tries to pull *that* off.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 30, 2013

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aorist posted:

And with that, it finally comes crashing into focus for me. How the hell have I never considered the significance of those images? I'm ecstatic.

I'm still confused by what that means, and why it's important.

But then, consider the amount of screen-time the laser sword gets in Star Wars - and compare that with how much time is spent on the nuanced interactions with (and between) ethnic aliens and homosexual robots. The latter must take up at least half the runtime.

But part of this is that the lightsabers in ANH were intentionally rationed for reasons such as effects, budget, and straight-out avoidance of overuse.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I see!

(Wait. I meant "I feel!" Thanks for the explanation.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
My speculation/theory based on what I've read about the history suggests Lucas grew disillusioned the instant block-long lines started forming to see A New Hope, but allowed himself to stay trapped in the phenomenon until...well maybe now.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Whether it happened or not, I take it as being an entertaining story because "they died" is the truth, whether you take it as them "dying" once the fictional story/universe ends, or as "of course they died" because everyone inevitably does. Whether or not he's being a dick is not the most fascinating aspect to me.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

As an example, you could spend years reading internet commentary on Star Wars without ever learning that the love triangle exists - let alone the dynamics of it expressed in the quiet scene where Han casually asks Luke about his chances with a princess. Yeah, Han Solo is a lovable rogue or whatever, but check how Luke shoots him down unthinkingly, out of... jealousy? Dogmatic support of the rebellion? It's a weird moment that no-one ever talks about, just like the moment where Luke complains about the price of flying cars.

That is one of the best scenes in ANH, and probably the entire trilogy. I watched that scene again a couple times recently, and it's pretty obvious that in it Han doesn't give a poo poo about the princess at that moment. What he's really doing is loving with Luke. Luke innocently reveals his interest to Han who picks up on it, and decides to just mess with him. Luke falls for the bait, and you see Han's highly amused reaction shot.

These character moments are part of what makes that movie great, and I agree that they oftentimes get lost in-between grand themes and minutiae. Realizing this, it's also a big part of the reason I'm excited about Abrams as director: He's not bad at good and amusing character moments.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Why is there this pervasive attitude that an element in a film can only have one meaning, and one meaning only?

There can always be more than one reason something exists in a creative work.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McDowell posted:

If the light side gives you some mind control, the dark side could give you lung control.

And eventually, only true masters of the dark side achieve...pussy control.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

There's a fan edit out there called 'The Despecialized Edition'

Despite a potential missed message, these are really awesome, and I highly recommend them.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

feedmyleg posted:

I don't think I've thought about Troops since 2001.

Had the exact same thought. How did I forget. This was before viral was viral.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 6, 2013

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I guess it could be worse, as in worse choices, but yeah. Re-casting Solo is just asking for trouble.

I'm not really fond of this idea of dilution, but predictably, Disney made a big investment, and they want to ensure a big return.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Mortanis posted:

The thing that bothers me with a Solo solo film is how they have to rewrite backstory. Han was unsympathetic but charismatic until the end of A New Hope, and it's his interactions on screen that change him from a dick out for Number One into the guy everyone likes. But, to run his own movie, you have to have a sympathetic character, which sorta pre-invalidates the on screen development he got in A New Hope. It just rubs the wrong way if you've got a prequel where a character inevitable goes through similar character development conflict.

I sort of agree, but I think you've missed something: Presumably, he became a selfish prick on the surface for a reason(s). Exploring that could be interesting, but as someone just mentioned, it definitely does reek of what SMG talks about with some of us craving to have back-story spelled out to us.

It would be interesting to see how Han became a dick, smuggler, friend to Chewie and Lando, owner of the Falcon, but do we really need to?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shaocaholica posted:

I want to see clones fight droids in a gritty war movie. Band of Brothers in space. But the whole clones thing makes characterization a bit difficult.

Actually...from the first few Clone Wars eps I've seen, they manage to work around that fairly well.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I still think the half-joke that was passed around at the time of the Abrams announcement is fitting: Josh Holloway.

Gatts posted:

EDIT: Can I get Matthew McConaughey as a Sith Lord or Empire General or something? Like a side story that follows him doing all kinds of shady poo poo but is just set in the Star Wars universe? Like we start out with him on his day job and then in the evening he's bored so he orders his Star Destroyer to Endor, flies down, randomly sees an Ewok, kills it with the force, sighs a sigh of relief, then everyone boards back and goes about their business.

You forgot the part where he uses the force to take his shirt off.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

feedmyleg posted:

He's in his mid 40s. Harrison was in his mid 30s in ANH.

Good point, though I feel he can look younger.

Honestly, one of my biggest concerns is them casting roles with Disney Channel show-level "hot young actors/actresses". Though, I realize the irony in that Mark Hammill became a teen sensation after ANH. Just hope JJ has a big say in that department.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 7, 2013

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

feedmyleg posted:

I don't get why people think this. Lucasfilm is still run independently, and we've seen how that's worked time and time again with Marvel and Pixar. It's not a realistic fear.

This very thread has reasonable arguments for why this situation may be different in terms of the level of Disney's involvement. So if you want to quote those posts and argue against them, do so, but unrealistic concern it is not.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Skittle Wood posted:

I really can't see anybody but Joseph Gordon-Levitt being seriously considered for the role of young Han Solo. Even if he doesn't quite look the part.

He's actually on of the first actors I thought of since the age fits, but yeah the look put me off, but more importantly: I'm just not sure his acting style fits. I can't recall ever seeing him be boisterous in anything.

Self-admittedly, maybe I'm out of touch with the current generation of 20-35 year old quality actors, but I can't think of anyone appropriate.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Spaceman Future! posted:

Have you seen Premium Rush? He makes a pretty good overconfident wiseass, I think he would do fine.

I have, and still thought his acting was, for the most part, reserved. It's just the way his style seems, and how it comes across. Now I'm not saying he's incapable of the flexibility required to pull it off, but most all great Han Solo scenes involve his bravado being turned up to 11.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm not talking about Solo's attitudes towards the world around him, or his motivations, I'm just talking about his demeanor. Sure he's laid back and cool at first, but from the detention block scene on (Though admittedly, mostly through his interactions with Leia), he's full of bravado. I haven't seen Gordon-Levitt ever have a scene with someone where he has the intensity Ford does in scenes with Fisher.

Again, this doesn't mean he couldn't pull it off since his skill is admirable. Anyway...it'll probably be an unknown.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

trashcangammy posted:

It will be Josh Duhamel. Disney have spent a lot of money to buy the series and they need the film to be heartthrob-tastic. The discussion on Han Solo's fundamental characteristics is pretty interesting from an enthusiast's point of view, but it doesn't create box office. Or get mums to take their kids to see Star Wars.

There's plenty of...hunky unknowns I'm sure. In fact, attractive unknowns that probably can't act are the rule more than the exception.

Joke choice aside: 20's.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
We're all wrong. It will be CGI Harrison Ford.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Gatts posted:

Ooooo Young Han Solo Chronicles with old Harrison Ford book ends.

That'd be more like CGI Sean Patrick Flannery then which...well...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

computer parts posted:

I'm surprised no one has suggested Shia LaBeouf yet.

They have. With the utmost sincerity I'm sure.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Gyges posted:

We could always get the gripping tale of extra young Luke. Oh the wacky hijinks in this hilarious teen comedy about Luke and his buddy Biggs getting wasted and trying to pick up chicks in Mos Eisley. Uh-Oh, how will Luke get out of this mess when Uncle Owen notices that his landspeeder is totaled?

Edit:I should have known Biggs had a last name. Who the gently caress is handing out these last names on Tatooine? Biggs Darklighter, really?

I'm not sure if Darklighter came from GL or EU, but yeah...and the EU gave him a brother: Gavin.

Your idea made me think either Tatooine Pie, or maybe more appropriately: Tatooine Graffiti.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Gyges posted:

Is there any reason for anyone to live on Tatooine? The place has no redeeming values and everyone on the planet is apparently a gigantic poo poo. Star Wars has thousands and thousands of inhabitable worlds, why is anyone hanging out on the giant dessert with no notable resources?

To avoid Imperial attention.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Kart Barfunkel posted:

As a Modesto native, I can confirm that there is more stuff to do on Tattooine.

George's original title for American Graffiti was Another Slow Night In Modesto.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Who would be a good young Han?)

We already did this for 5 pages.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I guess Mark Hamill did an interview where he said the principals from the OT are having meetings with Kennedy and Arndt, but no contracts have been signed for anyone. Makes me wonder about the earlier Ford news.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MadDogMike posted:

The Rebels never managed a overwhelming victory, that's for sure.

Endor wasn't an overwhelming victory for the Rebels? Not to mention the small wing of fighters who took out an entire fuckoff battle station, and accompanying fighters, at Yavin?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yes, losing your leadership, second fuckoff battlestation, and capital flagship is...costly.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mr. stefan posted:

Kinda easy to forget that when they took on the first giant fuckoff battlestation they had something like a 90% casualty rate on their trained pilot force, so

Easy to remember. 90% casualty rate out of what? 20-25 pilots? 25 figments of imagination against an enormous vessel crewed by god knows how many fake soldiers? Commanded by the 2nd or 3rd highest ranked stuffed shirt with a British accent? A huge and mobile gonad with a laser that could vaporize entire made-up planets?

I know that there is a specific, real-world, and military use of the phrase "overwhelming victory", but come on!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

effectual posted:

Maybe he's the inspiration for that godawful overused battletrance spell in the EU.

I thought the inspiration was Palpatine, and how quickly the Imperials fell apart at Endor after his death.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Madurai posted:

Except Porkins.

Well, he was just asking for it now, wasn't he.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

The MSJ posted:

I think this was the reasoning behind Star Wars Galaxies, and I'm pretty sure that's the only place where it works somewhat. In that game you can be not only a bounty hunter or smuggler, but also a weaponsmith or a cantina dancer.

Yeah, but then later on a majority of players just wanted to be Jedi and SOE gleefully catered to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Yaos posted:

The latest art suggests we'll have ground to space battles in one map.

That's interesting considering the cancelled Battlefront game from end of the Lucasarts era had this as it's centerpiece, but they could never get it to work or something.

• Locked thread