Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heard this news earlier and wanted to loving die right on the spot, but this

Blitz7x posted:

Lucas is only going to be a "creative consultant"? YESSSSS

is pretty good news, I think. I hope :ohdear:

Hopefully they get someone up to the task to direct. Another well-directed Star Wars movie is something we haven't seen in like 30 years, and it could potentially be really cool. I mean, the prequel trilogy could have been cool. I could see that all over the place during those movies. The problem was that it was just directed into the loving ground and it just ended up being a giant poo poo stain on one of the greatest franchises of all time instead of a worthy successor.

CrushedWill posted:

That is only slightly better than Disney getting a hold of it. I think it is still a net plus, and there will be additional movies, but for fucks stake, why did it have to be Disney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKOwptKaiQM

That clip was literally the very first thing that popped into my head when I first heard the news :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

In the earlier linked interview, he said that there were story treatments that have been finished for some time that they're going off of, so his influence will still be felt significantly.

Well as long as everything isn't CGI'ed to hell and the dialogue is improved over the prequel trilogy, I'll probably like it at least somewhat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

I don't know whether to be thrilled or terrified by this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha, yeah that's one of my fears :doh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Superstring posted:

Man, I knew it wasn't going to be someone like David Fichtner. But i really wanted David Fichtner...

David Fincher, you mean? There's William Fichtner, who played the Accountant in Drive Angry, the bank manager in The Dark Knight and several other roles.

David Fincher's Star Wars...man, I can't even really picture that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Javid posted:

William Fichtner would own as a sith lord, too.

I could see that. He also sure as gently caress would have made a better Qui-Gon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

keep punching joe posted:

David Fincher hasn't made a good film since Fight Club, why does he still get so much love?

You haven't seen Zodiac, The Social Network or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, have you?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Super 8 begs to differ, but that's not JJ's fault. That's the dumb script's fault.

Super 8 was mediocre and had a dumb script? :confused:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

I haven't seen it, but I've heard Super 8, while bad, captures the feeling of 70s Spielberg perfectly. Is this true? If so, that could be very promising when it comes to recapturing the magic of the OT.

It definitely does! Never heard people say it was bad, though. I thought it was great and I was under the impression that other people thought so too :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BulletRiddled posted:

I lost my virginity while me and my ex-girlfirend were watching Episode II on DVD, so my brain now associates anything to do with that movie with terrible sex. I can't even evaluate that movie on its own terms any more, it's just that movie.

It's pretty mindblowing to me that you were even able to keep it up during the scene in which Anakin talks about killing all the women and children.

...or maybe you weren't able to and that's why it was terrible sex :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Attack of the Clones is actually the best of the prequels, and the second or third best Star Wars film overall (it's been a while since I've watched Empire Strikes Back, so it's not too fresh in my memory).

You've never watched the other 2 original films besides Empire, have you?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

John Carter was a flaming sack of poo poo but it was still more entertaining than all 3 Star Wars prequels.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Miltank posted:

I got my first handy during Empire :pervert:

Star Wars: Pointy "Spaceships" :mmmhmm:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Did anybody post this in here yet?

Some good news: At Star Wars Celebration, the executive producer of Episode VII Kathleen Kennedy said the film will focus on story before effects, because effects don't mean poo poo if the characters and plot aren't awesome, and real locations and models will work together with CG, so it won't be exclusively green screened like the prequel trilogy.

She produced Jurassic Park, so now I'm pretty optimistic :dance:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 29, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wank posted:

Yeah, I remember this kind of rhetoric coming out of Spielberg before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released.
Well let's be fair. While Crystal Skull wasn't as good as the original Indy movies, it was still leagues better than any of the Star Wars prequels.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Episode III is goddamn high cinema compared to Crystal Skull.

They're both goofy as hell in lots of different ways, but I think Crystal Skull was the one that was entertaining because of that while Episode III just fell flat on its rear end.

Star Wars just isn't supposed to be that serious, which is probably why Episode III can't pull it off and instead came across as very boring to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How are u posted:

I'm re-watching Empire Strikes Back right now and goddamn, does it ever hold up.

Yeah, Empire is easily the best of all 6 of the movies, with ANH in a very close second.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, the Vader noooooo from Episode III was put in Return of the Jedi for the Blu Ray release? :stare:

I rented the Blu-Rays of the OT from Blockbuster a while back just to see how they looked. They looked gorgeous, except for the dumb CGI changes, but I'd never buy them because of those changes. But I don't remember that being in the Blu-Ray version of RotJ. Then again, I might have had the movie on in the background and only been paying attention every now and then.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Diabolik900 posted:

As bad as the Vader "No" in Jedi was, this is the blu ray change that I can't believe they were serious about :

http://youtu.be/J0EUjobdavw

These will always and forever be my favorite Obi Wan dragon calls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRbIglocWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myZtAdVufKU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

Not the same noooooo, but I think it was determined it was an alternate take from the same recording session.

Jesus :smith: When is it inserted in the movie? Near the end, right before he dies?

e: Oops, double post. Sorry!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesse Plemons was hilarious and awesome in Breaking Bad where he played a smarmy, smug rear end in a top hat, but I don't know how he'd do as a lead in a Star Wars movie. I guess it remains to be seen!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhh he did not look that bad in Ender's Game :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Electromax posted:

Speaking of the third film, mild mind blown today when I learned this shot was a matte painting:

e:
A bunch more:
http://makingfx.net/archives/1241
:stare:

Well now that you mention it, I can totally see it in the top left and the reflection of the light around the entrance field. But if I hadn't known I was supposed to be looking for it, I probably never would have realized that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bongo Bill posted:

Check out how some of the troops have reflections and others do not.
Oh yeah, that too! Christ, that matte painter had mad talent. I've been watching that movie for 20 years and I'm still learning new things about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gammatron 64 posted:

The top left isn't in frame, so I never noticed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxw5WPRzUOE

In the beginning of the scene where there are TIE fighters flying everywhere, you can tell the Death Star is a matte painting. Also, is it just me, or when Vader and the Emperor are walking, are the Imperial troops... cardboard standees?
It still looks incredibly convincing to me from that clip. Good design goes a long way!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quasipox posted:

So Amazon currently has both sets of the episodes for 47% off right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=pe_218170_117918550_pe_button/?rh=i%3Amovies-tv&hidden-keywords=B00E9PMML2%7CB00E9PMMX0

As someone who already has the original trilogy on DVD (but not the prequels), is it worth the upgrade? I know there were yet more alterations, but I have a serious itch to see the whole shebang again and was curious where goon opinion has fallen on the BRs.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's probably worth it for the sound quality alone, which is absolutely sensational on all the films. The new alterations are trivial and should bother only the most miserable of purist nerds.
Well count me in as a miserable purist nerd then because I could deal with a couple of them, but that loving song and dance number in Jabba's palace that was added into RotJ (Jedi Rocks) is a sin against humanity and I refuse to buy the original trilogy when poo poo like that and a shot of Coruscant with Jar-Jar exclaiming "WEESA FREEEEEEE! :haw: " during the celebration at the end of RotJ have been added in.

I've rented these Blu-Rays and they do look and sound incredible, aside from all the terrible CGI bullshit that was added in and all sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the scenes, and I would buy them in a heartbeat if they were the original theatrical versions, but they're the "George Lucas pissed on my childhood" versions so no thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiDRgDmXGi4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

computer parts posted:

That's not a new alteration, it's from a previous edition.
That doesn't make it any less terrible, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know this is going to seem par for the course coming from me, but I truly and sincerly mean it when I say...shut the gently caress up, dude.

Lucas didn't piss on your childhood, or poo poo on it, or rape it, or any other form of scatelogical or edgy humor you deem funny. He made changes to a movie. Changes that, if you work hard enough, you can easily avoid. So sit the gently caress down and think about how stupid it is to judge your entire childhood on some goddamn space movies.
Dude, learn to take a joke :v:

All I'm saying is I can't get behind those changes and I'm not gonna buy these versions of the movies since those changes are still there, and if you feel the same way, you won't want to buy this release either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wandle Cax posted:

However if you are a grown adult who wants to watch the classic Star Wars series of films in the highest quality available and you can get past a few silly moments in the films you will happily buy the blu-ray set. Seriously you've had since 1997 to come to terms with the Jedi Rocks song. It's dumb but it doesn't ruin the movie.
So just because it's been around since '97 that means I have to like a lovely scene that's incredibly out of place and wasn't in the original movie?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xenomrph posted:

I'm no "raped my childhood" purist and I've got the current bluray set and I'm happy with it, but I do wish they'd release a 12-disc "definitive edition" of the original trilogy that had like 3 versions of each movie (original theatrical, pre-1997 THX enhanced, and Special Edition) with an exhaustive, "Alien Anthology"-caliber library of supplementals and whatnot. I'd gladly double-dip and re-buy the trilogy if they did that.
I would sell my organs for a release like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Every time I pop into Best Buy they have some on the shelves and I'm no time traveler.
Your Best Buy is a magical fairytale land then.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Perhaps. Excuse me while I sprinkle some fairy dust on my popcorn and sit down and watch the original trilogy in it's unpissed on format.
Can I PayPal you like $30 to send me copies of the theatrical OT DVDs?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrBigglesworth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNiC9iKM0Q

A very nice preview of some of the practical effects.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I hope this guy is a sith lord
Hahaha, that creature :allears:

I'm actually kind of excited about new Star Wars now. It's very reassuring to see practical effects in a Star Wars movie again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How any other actor looked at him without laughing and completely ruining the scene is beyond me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendolyn Christie (Brienne of Tarth from GoT) have been added to the cast

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/02/star-wars-episode-vii-casts-lupita-nyongo-and-gwendoline-christie/
This + those set photos make me so loving hopeful for this to turn out to be something magical.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuuck yes. Rian Johnson has mad talent. Looper was fantastic and he directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, which episodes of Breaking Bad?
Fly, Fifty One and Ozymandias. Fly was the first episode of BB I ever saw and I immediately knew I had to watch the rest of the series after witnessing that. It and Ozymandias are both regarded as some of the greatest episodes of the series. Fifty One might be too. I mean it had that hilariously awesome car montage after all:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhkgzvucHU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Eh, enough bitching, here's Mark Hamill being awesome and rocking that beard.

Honestly, I approve of this Hobo Luke Skywalker look.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Robocop design sucked, though. That stormtrooper redesign actually looks pretty dope. I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Those new colors on the X-Wings are loving baller :drat:

• Locked thread