Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Congratulations are in order for Greg Grunberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahahaha, yeah that's one of my fears :doh:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Man, I knew it wasn't going to be someone like David Fichtner. But i really wanted David Fichtner...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Superstring posted:

Man, I knew it wasn't going to be someone like David Fichtner. But i really wanted David Fichtner...

David Fincher, you mean? There's William Fichtner, who played the Accountant in Drive Angry, the bank manager in The Dark Knight and several other roles.

David Fincher's Star Wars...man, I can't even really picture that.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Within the first ten minutes everything you loved about the original trilogy is ruined or dies offscreen in the most unsatisfying way possible.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

Within the first ten minutes everything you loved about the original trilogy is ruined or dies offscreen in the most unsatisfying way possible.

Like the EU hasn't done that already!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

David Fincher, you mean? There's William Fichtner, who played the Accountant in Drive Angry, the bank manager in The Dark Knight and several other roles.

Yeah, I mangled that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
William Fichtner would own as a sith lord, too.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I was hoping it was going to be Matthew Vaughn. Or in a dream scenario, Alfonso Cuaron.

JJ Abrams is a solid director, and at this point it's the most I could ask for in a Star Wars movie.

My biggest fear was Jon Favreau landing the directing spot with his ties to Disney and Harrison Ford. I'm just grateful it wasn't him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Javid posted:

William Fichtner would own as a sith lord, too.

I could see that. He also sure as gently caress would have made a better Qui-Gon.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Wazzit posted:

JJ Abrams is a solid director, and at this point it's the most I could ask for in a Star Wars movie.

Same here, the dude brought Star Trek back from purgatory and demonstrated he could direct sci-fi. I just hope the adjustment from Trek to Wars is a smooth one because they are two different kinds of sci-fi. I'm really OK with this casting simply because Abrams has always directed good films and manages to surprise me with some really solid idea or concept within those films.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I assumed JJ had some kind of contract with Paramount.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

The reason I'm not hugely positive for Abrams is that I've felt the character work in his films has been very thin. And, yeah I know Star Wars doesn't need especially deep character work. But after the last few outings it would have been a nice change of emphasis.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Mu Zeta posted:

I assumed JJ had some kind of contract with Paramount.

He's contracted for one more Star Trek movie after Into Darkness. Given how there was a four-year gap between Trek 09 and ID, it's conceivable he could run off to make Episode 7 for Disney and be back in time to begin pre-production on Abrams Trek 3. Assuming Disney will have everything ready for him.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ok so how solid is this? One of my buddies still says nothing is confirmed and technically he is right I guess. It is just a couple news sources but not Disney saying this is true. Is it possible this could be bullshit?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not a big Star Wars fan, but after hearing Abrams is doing it I'm totally on board. Anyone that can make Star Trek remotely watchable to me is already a miracle worker.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

He's contracted for one more Star Trek movie after Into Darkness. Given how there was a four-year gap between Trek 09 and ID, it's conceivable he could run off to make Episode 7 for Disney and be back in time to begin pre-production on Abrams Trek 3. Assuming Disney will have everything ready for him.

Does the contract specify if the films have to be made in sequence? He could make one later down the track? He's probably not going to direct the entire Star Wars trilogy anyway.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
David Fincher hasn't made a good film since Fight Club, why does he still get so much love?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I love JJ, I love cloverfield and Star Trek, and I can't wait to see what he does with a fun space adventure like Star Wars! Has he ever done an adventure type movie before?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

keep punching joe posted:

David Fincher hasn't made a good film since Fight Club, why does he still get so much love?

But his best movie, Zodiac, was made after Fight Club. So I don't get this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

Ok so how solid is this? One of my buddies still says nothing is confirmed and technically he is right I guess. It is just a couple news sources but not Disney saying this is true. Is it possible this could be bullshit?

While it isn't exactly confirmed Deadline isn't some random dude's blog and only report on things they strongly believe to be factual.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Deadpool posted:

But his best movie, Zodiac, was made after Fight Club. So I don't get this.

It's subjective, but I thought Zodiac was rather poor fare, and then he followed it up with dross like Benjamin Button, the Facebook movie, and a tedious remake of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

The man is a hack.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You haven't seen Zodiac, The Social Network or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, have you?

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Yeah, his best movie as was pointed out above, and two others that I would rank as superior to Fight Club. Fincher is one of my favorite directors, if not my favorite, but I really don't think it holds up against a lot of his other work.

That said the only Star Wars I'd want to see him attached to would be one of those "other tales" things, I forget what they were called in the comics, where things follow an alternate history. Let him direct a Star Wars movie where Luke falls to the dark side after he blows it at the Battle of Yavin and everything goes to poo poo.

edit: Oh, now I'm sorry I added to this discussion. You're an idiot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You're thinking of Infinities. And yeah, that'd be cool to see in film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only Expanded Universe thing I'd like to see on films is nothing, ever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

gently caress you I want Abrams to drop a moon on Chewie.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

feedmyleg posted:

To clarify I really, really don't want to either. I just threw that out there on a lark because it was fun/goofy to even imagine.

Also, thanks, jivjov, for the assist.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Wazzit posted:

I was hoping it was going to be Matthew Vaughn. Or in a dream scenario, Alfonso Cuaron.

My biggest fear was Jon Favreau landing the directing spot with his ties to Disney and Harrison Ford. I'm just grateful it wasn't him.

Alfonso Cuaron is my dream pick too. The original trilogy kind of kicked off the real world nitty gritty sci fi feel and Alfonso really took it places with Children of Men. Plus his ability to adapt himself to someone else's work (Harry Potter) and the way he seamlessly utilizes special effects while also being really good with actors would make him perfect for Star Wars.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's subjective, but I thought Zodiac was rather poor fare, and then he followed it up with dross like Benjamin Button, the Facebook movie, and a tedious remake of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

The man is a hack.

Have you actually SEEN the Social Network? I'm guessing 'No' because you called it 'the Facebook movie.'

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
JJ Abrams is a great choice. He has great action and sci-fi chops. Mission Impossible 3 was awesome and Star Trek was better than most of the movies. If this is legit, I'm down for it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Calling Fincher a hack is so dumb

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't hate Abrams but Mission Impossible 4 was better than 3 in every way so Brad Bird would have been a much better choice.

Plus Abrams directing Star Trek and Star Wars feels wrong.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

I love JJ, I love cloverfield and Star Trek, and I can't wait to see what he does with a fun space adventure like Star Wars! Has he ever done an adventure type movie before?

I think Star Trek was pretty adventure-y. Also, remember Abrams only produced Cloverfield. He didn't direct nor write it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well the Star Trek reboot was essentially Star Wars in Trek's clothing, so I'm cool with this.

I expect Episode VII to be glossy and superficial, but also fun and entertaining.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Have you actually SEEN the Social Network? I'm guessing 'No' because you called it 'the Facebook movie.'

"the movie with Justin Timberlake"

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

The Thrawn Trilogy would be fine, but that is as far as I would go when it comes to the EU. Maybe change it so that it took place after all of the original characters died because they are old as gently caress now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

reagan posted:

The Thrawn Trilogy would be fine, but that is as far as I would go when it comes to the EU. Maybe change it so that it took place after all of the original characters died because they are old as gently caress now.

Do you really want a movie where the final confrontation is with a clone named Luuuuuuuuuke.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
^^It would be good for the laughs.

The man is a hack.

Holy poo poo, this is actually an opinion. Baffling.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to call those 3 movies poo poo is really stretching things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phalex
May 14, 2002

This is cool. I like the way JJ does action, and I could see how he could do another sci-fi movie and not have it look like Star Trek. In Star Trek everything is clean and new, for Star Wars he just needs to make everything look dirty.

• Locked thread